Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
McAdoo Out in NY

In my opinion this should have happened as soon as the media circus of the Eli Manning benching started.

I've never really been a fan of Eli Manning (he's nowhere near as good as his brother) but his accomplishments in New York should be acknowledged.  This whole thing was handled very poorly from the top on down.  You don't just bench a 2 time Super Bowl winner and MVP so that you could "evaluate talent" and start Geno Smith.  Everybody already knows what you have in Geno Smith so there is nothing to "evaluate".  Perhaps had they started the rookie it might hold some water.

The other thing that came to mind is what exactly are you telling the team?  You're basically telling the team that you're tanking the season to get a possible higher draft pick.  What do players do?  Play harder to "audition" for other teams?  Perhaps "give up" and protect themselves from getting injured?

Most importantly, in my mind as a fan of football, what are you giving to Giants season ticket holders?  As a season ticket holder myself for the Jaguars, I expect them to put the best players on the field each week no matter the record.  I personally would have been livid if they benched Bortles last season to "evaluate the position" then start Chad Henne for the next game.  I mean, even if the team has a losing record and no possibility to make the playoffs, you don't bench your best players.

The Giants with that move (in my opinion) just gave their season ticket holders 5 more preseason games.  It's not as bad for them, but right now I pay for 10 games each season that includes 2 preseason games and 8 home games.  One of my "home games" has since been moved to the U.K. which I kind of "sucked up".  So in essence, I'm paying full price to watch 2 "exhibitions" (preseason) and 7 rather than 8 home games.  The Giants season ticket holders just got 7 preseason games.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!