Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can someone explain how the Vikings are currently edged out over the Eagles?

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017, 10:13 PM by Brett.)

For the #1 seed in the NFC? I understand the tiebreaking procedures are used from the following link:

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

I know for them, you would use the "to break a tiebreaker for the wild card team" because thats what you use still for 2 division title leaders with the same record.

So using that, I understand, it goes all the way to #4 which is strength of victory between them. (#1 is not applicable, #2 is even, #3 is not enough games from what I looked at. So it comes to #4). I understand strength of victory is defined as figured by calculating the combined winning percentage of the opponents a team has beaten. So for example, i[font=Arial,]f team A has two victories (one with a 8-8 record and another with a 0-16 record), its strength of victory is 0.250. (Also how do you get .250 for this?) If team B has also two wins (over opponents that are 8-8 and 12-4), then its strength of victory is 0.625.[/font]

[font=Arial,]Right? So are the records for their opponents for that based off this year? Can someone break it down between the Vikings and Eagles so I can see it written down to understand why the Vikings edged them out? Just like to understand it all.[/font]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017, 10:25 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

Yes it's based off of this year and team A's opponents combined winning percentage is .250 because total wins is 8 divided by total games played being 32 = 25% or .250 winning percentage. I haven't double checked their calculations, but they're basically saying the teams the Vikings have faced have a combined total number of wins that exceeds the opponents the Eagles have faced so far this season. That is a fluid number though because their opponents' records are changing each week as well. I'd be interested to know how many combined wins for opponents separates the two groups, but probably not interested enough to run the numbers myself. If the Jags were involved I'd do it.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017, 10:42 PM by Brett.)

So I found this article and it completely helped me out.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/to...tion-help/

So because I love to know how stuff works, I did the math with the Eagles and Vikings using that link to help me. I came up with it and now it makes sense! Proud of myself and my inner nerd lol. I think I did it right, didn't I?

Eagles had wins against teams that had records of:
0-0
0-2
0-3
2-2
4-1
3-2
0-7
3-4
5-4
3-7
_______
20/52 = 38.46%

Vikings had wins against teams that had records of:
0-0
1-0
1-3
4-1
3-3
0-7
4-4
7-2
6-4
7-4
_______
33/61 = 54.09%

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017, 11:24 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

Are you sure it’s the record at the time they played and not their current record? That seems awfully silly if that’s how it works.

I just read an explanation of strength of victory (it wasn’t from the NFL rulebook or web site so not sure if it’s accurate) and it suggests that only the records of the opponents that a team has beaten are used which makes sense so the Eagles can’t used the Seahawks record in their calculation because they lost to them. I can find nothing that says use the record of the team at the time you beat them. I’m pretty sure you have to use their current record in the calculation.

Here’s an article that addresses it and suggests using current record and not record at the time the teams met.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnatio...-explained

I couldn’t find a league definition for strength of victory on their site, but I’m pretty sure the way it’s described in the link is correct.

I spent a long time typing out the current win/loss records of all 10 oppoinents for both the Eagles and Vikings, only to lose the server connection. Where is the Auto Save feature when posters need it? Wallbash

The question can only be answered by a math whiz. If you just look at the records of each team, including the Redskins twice, you can see more losing and even teams than winning opponents on each team's schedule.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 12:10 PM by Brett.)

Jaguarmeister, my fault! Thanks for correcting me...So I guess instead it should look like this?

Eagles had wins against teams that have records of:
5-7
2-10
6-6
5-7
8-4
5-7
2-10
3-9
6-6
3-9
_______
45/120 = 37.5%

Vikings had wins against teams that have records of:
9-3
4-8
3-9
6-6
7-5
0-12
5-7
9-3
6-6
7-5
_______
56/120 = 46.66%

(12-05-2017, 12:09 PM)Brett Wrote: Jaguarmeister, my fault! Thanks for correcting me...So I guess instead it should look like this?

Eagles had wins against teams that have records of:
5-7
2-10
6-6
5-7
8-4
5-7
2-10
3-9
6-6
3-9
_______
45/120 = 37.5%

Vikings had wins against teams that have records of:
9-3
4-8
3-9
6-6
7-5
0-12
5-7
9-3
6-6
7-5
_______
56/120 = 46.66%

Either way it worked out to give you the answer you needed.

(Back in school this was one of those word problems I'd get the right answer to but be deducted points for not "showing my work") lol

Brett, that is the correct way to write it. I was trying to do the same thing with the opponent team names when the server disconnected.

Looks like the Vikes have a stranglehold on the 1 seed if it comes down to strength of victory.

(12-06-2017, 01:39 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Looks like the Vikes have a stranglehold on the 1 seed if it comes down to strength of victory.

That could change in the next four weeks.

(12-06-2017, 12:16 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 01:39 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Looks like the Vikes have a stranglehold on the 1 seed if it comes down to strength of victory.

That could change in the next four weeks.

With so many division games to close out the year I seriously doubt it.  Beating a divisional foe hands them an additional loss which doesn’t help your strength of victory much unless your divisional foe is significantly over .500. No other team in either division is better than 6-6 at the moment.  

When your division rivals play each other, it adds both a win and a loss to your strength of victory which again doesn’t do much for you.  An 11 win lead with 4 games to go with each having at least 2 division games left is a stranglehold as far as strength of victory goes.

The only chance the Eagles have with the strength of victory tie breaker is if they beat the Rams this weekend and the Vikings also lose to the Panthers this weekend but they still both finish the year tied with the same overall and conference record with the Vikings winning out after losing to the Panthers and the Eagles losing to either the Giants or Cowboys after beating the Rams.  That Rams win total being added to the Eagles strength of victory would be huge, but only if the Vikes also drop to the Panthers.  Otherwise you’d have to see a complete collapse by every team the Vikings beat this season.

Week 14 clinching scenarios:

Philadelphia clinches NFC East division with:
1. PHI win or tie OR
2. DAL loss or tie

Minnesota clinches NFC North division with:

1. MIN win or tie OR
2. DET loss or tie + GB loss or tie

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...or-week-14