Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Willie Taggart and FSU agree to terms

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 06:55 PM by Jaguar33.)

Presser scheduled for tomorrow.  Players, recruits, prospective recruits and Seminoles rejoice.

<p style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;">

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The right hire.

I’m so glad we don’t have to watch Jimbo’s outdated offense anymore..

How do people really know this guy is the right hire? Because the media says so?

It's the same thing as the Gators. Dan Mullen was way down the list (and off the list for many) and when the hire was announced all the sudden he became a great hire and everyone wanted him.

I get that all fan bases want to be happy with the coaching search, but much like Meyer/Mcelwain/Muschamp nobody really knows how either of these two will be two years from now. They could pull in a national title or they could be a .500 team. Either way, each fan base is acting like they hit a homerun and I'm not so sure that's the case here.

Best coach in the history of ever to outdated in just a few short years. The disillusionment is real. Tongue
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

How is a coach with a career sub .500 record, a good hire?

(12-06-2017, 10:20 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: How is a coach with a career sub .500 record, a good hire?

Look at the programs he coached at. He took over Western Kentucky and USF when they were in the septic tank and turned both schools around with limited resources and recruiting, at least in the case of WKU. And he was 5-1 at Oregon this year IIRC until their starting QB went down for the year.

(12-06-2017, 11:02 AM)BigJohn98 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 10:20 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: How is a coach with a career sub .500 record, a good hire?

Look at the programs he coached at. He took over Western Kentucky and USF when they were in the septic tank and turned both schools around with limited resources and recruiting, at least in the case of WKU. And he was 5-1 at Oregon this year IIRC until their starting QB went down for the year.

This part I can agree with, but to assume this is a homerun hire makes no sense to me.  Like every other coaching hire this season for UF/FSU/UCF, it's a wait and see approach.  They all could be homeruns, but you never know. 

I hope for the good of the state and competition, they are homeruns.  Stop these kids from in state going to Alabama, Ohio State, and other out of state schools.  Two kids from University Christian just committed to Ohio State...that's a travesty.

(12-06-2017, 10:06 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: How do people really know this guy is the right hire?  Because the media says so?  

It's the same thing as the Gators.  Dan Mullen was way down the list (and off the list for many) and when the hire was announced all the sudden he became a great hire and everyone wanted him.

I get that all fan bases want to be happy with the coaching search, but much like Meyer/Mcelwain/Muschamp nobody really knows how either of these two will be two years from now.  They could pull in a national title or they could be a .500 team.  Either way, each fan base is acting like they hit a homerun and I'm not so sure that's the case here.

The "list" you refer to is a bunch of media types throwin stuff at the wall knowing SOMETHING will stick.

IMO... Frost was ALWAYS going to Nebraska and was never a real option for UF.
Chip Kelly possibly was an option but knowing him he wanted to stay on the West coast. 

I will say this Mullen was Meyer's QB coach and interim OC at Utah and OC at UF, coached some of the best offenses in the country, and a few really good college QBs along the way, took a HC job at Miss State when they were trash, knowing Saban had just took the reigns at Bama and was already dominating the West, in 9 seasons he only had 2 losing records (his first year-against the toughest schedule in the nation and 2016-still got a bowl berth and victory). In 9 seasons he made 8 bowls (he wont be there for the 8th) with 5 victories.
Overall record 69-46 (67%)
Bowl record 5-2
4 assistants would later become HCs for other programs

Taggart might be fresh and have some recent sizzle. And he certainly helps in the PR dept. (First African-American HC at each of his 4 stops)
Yeah... he dug WKU out of 0fer land. And he brought USF to prominence, at least within the AAC...
But 1 and done at Oregon and now coaching FSU in a much more difficult ACC in Florida where recruiting is hard because of the rise of schools like USF, Miami, and FAU.

Sure... no one knows for sure what will happen. But I feel a lot better about "our" guys' resume.

Mullen has a heck of a lot more work to do than Taggart, which is one thing FSU has going for them. The cupboard is not nearly as bare from a recruiting standpoint and Jimbo did a lot for FSU facilities upgrades wise, both already completed and planned. As an FSU fan I'm happy with the hire and overall direction of the program and think Taggart is setup to be successful.

Only time will tell...

(12-06-2017, 12:32 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: Mullen has a heck of a lot more work to do than Taggart, which is one thing FSU has going for them.  The cupboard is not nearly as bare from a recruiting standpoint and Jimbo did a lot for FSU facilities upgrades wise, both already completed and planned.  As an FSU fan I'm happy with the hire and overall direction of the program and think Taggart is setup to be successful.

Only time will tell...

With a starting qb coming back next year, Taggart should do pretty well next year.  He has proven he can adapt an offense to match the school he is at.  If he doesn't do well next year, as an FSU fan I'd be a bit worried.

Mullen definitely has some grown to make up as far as talent, but if he runs a spread offense that could help speed it up a bit.  That kind of offense can sometimes hide your deficiencies.

(12-06-2017, 12:49 PM)UCF Knight Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 12:32 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: Mullen has a heck of a lot more work to do than Taggart, which is one thing FSU has going for them.  The cupboard is not nearly as bare from a recruiting standpoint and Jimbo did a lot for FSU facilities upgrades wise, both already completed and planned.  As an FSU fan I'm happy with the hire and overall direction of the program and think Taggart is setup to be successful.

Only time will tell...

With a starting qb coming back next year, Taggart should do pretty well next year.  He has proven he can adapt an offense to match the school he is at.  If he doesn't do well next year, as an FSU fan I'd be a bit worried.

Mullen definitely has some grown to make up as far as talent, but if he runs a spread offense that could help speed it up a bit.  That kind of offense can sometimes hide your deficiencies.

Agreed.  Also, in regards to future success you could point to the FSU administration's success in coaching hires.  The last two have worked out pretty well, seems they know what they're doing.

(12-06-2017, 01:18 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 12:49 PM)UCF Knight Wrote: With a starting qb coming back next year, Taggart should do pretty well next year.  He has proven he can adapt an offense to match the school he is at.  If he doesn't do well next year, as an FSU fan I'd be a bit worried.

Agreed.  Also, in regards to future success you could point to the FSU administration's success in coaching hires.  The last two have worked out pretty well, seems they know what they're doing.

The last two?  Did the current administration have anything to do with Bowden?  Jimbo was sort of a no brainer.  Saban disciple that got to learn under Bowden, and literally ran the team while Bowden was the figurehead. 

This was really the first real head coaching search this administration has handled.

In college you're a great coach if you can recruit the right "student athlete", keep them in school, avoid injuries to your stars, amuse the media, and keep the big money boosters happy.

The other coaches do the football stuff, with some input from the head coach.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017, 03:08 PM by KingIngram052787.)

(12-06-2017, 02:17 PM)UCF Knight Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 01:18 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: Agreed.  Also, in regards to future success you could point to the FSU administration's success in coaching hires.  The last two have worked out pretty well, seems they know what they're doing.

The last two?  Did the current administration have anything to do with Bowden?  Jimbo was sort of a no brainer.  Saban disciple that got to learn under Bowden, and literally ran the team while Bowden was the figurehead. 

This was really the first real head coaching search this administration has handled.

I didn't mean in such the black and white way you're understanding what I said.  I just meant in general FSU has had a process of handling these types of things and have been successful.  No reason to think they won't be again.  Jimbo was a great hire and obviously a great candidate, but I wouldn't say any hire is a no brainer.  Muschamp went a similar route.  Worked under Saban, then under Mack Brown, was even appointed the HCIW at Texas, and he didn't work out so well for UF.

Either way, we'll find out soon enough regarding Taggart.  I'm hoping Brent Venables takes a coaching position or goes with Chad Morris to Arkansas, would love to see him out of Clemson/the ACC so we don't have to deal with him anymore.

(12-06-2017, 02:46 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: In college you're a great coach if you can recruit the right "student athlete", keep them in school, avoid injuries to your stars, amuse the media, and keep the big money boosters happy.

I sort of agree with this.   A head coach in college football is almost like a President/CEO of a business, more of a tone setter and leads the team in a direction.

(12-06-2017, 03:06 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 02:17 PM)UCF Knight Wrote: The last two?  Did the current administration have anything to do with Bowden?  Jimbo was sort of a no brainer.  Saban disciple that got to learn under Bowden, and literally ran the team while Bowden was the figurehead. 

I didn't mean in such the black and white way you're understanding what I said.  I just meant in general FSU has had a process of handling these types of things and have been successful.  No reason to think they won't be again.  Jimbo was a great hire and obviously a great candidate, but I wouldn't say any hire is a no brainer.  Muschamp went a similar route.  Worked under Saban, then under Mack Brown, was even appointed the HCIW at Texas, and he didn't work out so well for UF.

Either way, we'll find out soon enough regarding Taggart.  I'm hoping Brent Venables takes a coaching position or goes with Chad Morris to Arkansas, would love to see him out of Clemson/the ACC so we don't have to deal with him anymore.

(12-06-2017, 02:46 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: In college you're a great coach if you can recruit the right "student athlete", keep them in school, avoid injuries to your stars, amuse the media, and keep the big money boosters happy.

I sort of agree with this.   A head coach in college football is almost like a President/CEO of a business, more of a tone setter and leads the team in a direction.

Tone setter is the most important.  While recruiting is job #1, setting the right tone and direction for the program is the most important responsibility of a coach.  What kind of offense, defense, how aggressive, etc....that's all based on the head coach and filters through him.  While someone else may be calling the plays, the philosophy is fed from above.