Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How do I update a Samsung phone?

The phone I have runs Android V4.3. The bank tells me I now have to have at least V4.4 to use the mobile banking app.

Is there a way to update the phone?
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-07-2017, 11:20 AM)PF* Wrote: The phone I have runs Android V4.3. The bank tells me I now have to have at least V4.4 to use the mobile banking app.

Yep, buy an Apple. Tongue

(12-07-2017, 11:20 AM)PF* Wrote: The phone I have runs Android V4.3. The bank tells me I now have to have at least V4.4 to use the mobile banking app.

It should automatically show you updates that need to be made on your main screen with a notification. If not, you can go to "settings" and then down to "Software Update". It will automatically check for software updates needing to be done.

If it's a really old phone, developer support has probably ended. You'd need to either root the phone and install a custom OS or buy a new phone.

(12-07-2017, 01:42 PM)Brett Wrote:

It should automatically show you updates that need to be made on your main screen with a notification. If not, you can go to "settings" and then down to "Software Update". It will automatically check for software updates needing to be done.

Thanks, Brett. It was easy enough to do but the response I got was that the latest software updates have been done. It is still running Android 4.3 though.

(12-07-2017, 02:04 PM)PF* Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 01:42 PM)Brett Wrote: It should automatically show you updates that need to be made on your main screen with a notification. If not, you can go to "settings" and then down to "Software Update". It will automatically check for software updates needing to be done.

Thanks, Brett. It was easy enough to do but the response I got was that the latest software updates have been done. It is still running Android 4.3 though.

That's really weird. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. I went to settings and then "About Device". It shows I am running Android Version 7.0?

Generally speaking, the onboard software update feature only drops in the latest patches for your particular version of Android, so you'll go from 4.3152785 to 4.3160000. It will NOT update 4.3 to 4.4 or 5.0 or 7.0 or any other version upgrade. To do that you have to, as noted above, root the phone and go find the correct APK package for the new version you want. All in all it's usually more cost effective to just buy a new phone since the carriers don't really offer any support for that kind of upgrade or for the device once it's rooted.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Yeah that phone isn't capable of handling the updated operating systems so support ends where you're at. You're gonna need a new phone.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

This might sound silly, but if your phone works, perhaps save your money and keep it and do your banking... at the bank.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-07-2017, 10:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: This might sound silly, but if your phone works, perhaps save your money and keep it and do your banking... at the bank.

Come on, you're a tech guy. Running around with Android 4.3 as a daily driver is like having XP on your home computer and not putting a condom over the ethernet cable.

(12-07-2017, 10:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: This might sound silly, but if your phone works, perhaps save your money and keep it and do your banking... at the bank.

That's the conclusion I came to, loss of mobile banking isn't worth a new phone...an envelope and a stamp did the trick. I wonder about the Jaguars Playoff tickets- I opted in and got the email that we all got and set up the app on my now apparently dinosaur phone. Will the tickets require 4.4 or will 4.3 run it OK? Wallbash

You don't update Android. Android updates you.