Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
RANT about stupid drivers

Exclamation 

When people pull out in front of you, sometimes not even coming to a complete stop at the stop sign or traffic light, and you end up t-boning them because you can't stop in time. 

This happened to my husband this morning. Some douche bag pulls out in front of him and he can't stop in time and hits the guy. He ended up in the ER with 11 stitches in his forehead, bruising on his torso when the seat belt locked up on impact and a totaled car we JUST had a new radiator installed in. On Tuesday. And the car was paid for. 

People need to slow the hell down and pay attention to what they're doing behind the wheel. DO NOT EXPECT PEOPLE TO (BE ABLE TO) STOP IF YOU PULL OUT RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM. You don't even know if they're paying attention to what they're doing, much less what you're doing, and may not see your dumb [BLEEP] breaking the law and try to avoid a collision. I see this happen a lot around here. People don't bother stopping at stop lights or signs, they just roll out expecting you to slow down. Or they're in a middle turn lane and take that left right in front of you, expecting you to slow down or stop for them. 

Thankfully my husband is religious about doing the speed limit or this could have been a lot worse.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I hope your husband is okay. Good thing he was wearing a seatbelt.
Idiot drivers will always be with us and it’s gotten worse with the advent of cell phones. Dealing with this stuff while riding a motorcycle is doubly distressing.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2017, 01:50 PM by The Drifter.)

Glad Hubby is basically OK, only a few stitches and bruises. Try driving the 495 Beltway around DC one time, you'll find tons of idiots driving
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

(12-07-2017, 12:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I hope your husband is okay. Good thing he was wearing a seatbelt.
Idiot drivers will always be with us and it’s gotten worse with the advent of cell phones. Dealing with this stuff while riding a motorcycle is doubly distressing.

Thank you. He is sore and will feel worse tomorrow, but he is doing well overall. Yes, thankfully he wasn't driving his motorcycle or this would have been a very different outcome.

(12-07-2017, 01:49 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Glad Hubby is basically OK, only a few stitches and bruises. Try driving the 495 Beltway around DC one time, you'll find tons of idiots driving
Thanks! He appreciates the well wishes.

I have driven Atlanta, Phoenix and a few other metropolitan areas I prefer to avoid like the plague if at all possible.

Glad hubby is ok ..... just curious, did the other person get cited and is their insurance company being held responsible for the damages.

I've always heard that if you hit someone from behind, it's very difficult to prove they are at fault.

If they're in Florida, I believe Florida is a no-fault state and everyone's insurance is responsible for their own damage, regardless of who is at fault.

(12-07-2017, 02:11 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Glad hubby is ok ..... just curious, did the other person get cited and is their insurance company being held responsible for the damages.

I've always heard that if you hit someone from behind, it's very difficult to prove they are at fault.

He didn't hit her from behind. She was pulling out of a side road from his right and making a left turn and hit her on the side of her vehicle. The highway patrol officer said there was no way my husband could have avoided hitting her the way it all went down.

(12-07-2017, 02:18 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: If they're in Florida, I believe Florida is a no-fault state and everyone's insurance is responsible for their own damage, regardless of who is at fault.

We're in NC. I'm not sure of the laws here regarding this particular situation and insurance, but highway patrol said it was most definitely her fault.

(12-07-2017, 02:18 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: If they're in Florida, I believe Florida is a no-fault state and everyone's insurance is responsible for their own damage, regardless of who is at fault.

When we got t-boned and the other driver was determined at fault, our own insurance immediately paid for the totaled car and medical expenses (after our deductible), and then once we were taken care of, they go after the other driver's insurance to recoup the costs. I'm guessing that's how it typically works.

(12-07-2017, 01:49 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Glad Hubby is basically OK, only a few stitches and bruises. Try driving the 495 Beltway around DC one time, you'll find tons of idiots driving
And 270.

I can vouch for 495 being absolutely terrible.

(12-07-2017, 07:00 PM)jaglyn Wrote:

When we got t-boned and the other driver was determined at fault, our own insurance immediately paid for the totaled car and medical expenses (after our deductible), and then once we were taken care of, they go after the other driver's insurance to recoup the costs. I'm guessing that's how it typically works.

Thanks! I have never been in a traffic accident so I have no clue how it works. He's been with this insurance company for 20 years and he knows his agent well so I'm hoping they'll do right by him and not make this a bigger deal than it needs to be. I don't think the gravity of the situation has hit him yet, specifically losing his paid for car, and when it does he's going to be stressed to the max. We live a good 50 miles one way from his workplace and we're down to him using my truck (a 2002 Silverado) and his old work truck (a 1992 Ford) he uses for side jobs. Neither gets great gas mileage and they're both on the back end of their life cycles. I have maintained my truck well but it's got some miles on it. Until we figure out what to do about a vehicle for him it's going to be interesting to figure this out.

First and foremost, I'm glad that he is alright albeit injured and sore.  A vehicle can be replaced, a life... not so much.

As far as a replacement vehicle, depending on the value of his car prior to the accident you should be able to get into another vehicle fairly easily.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-07-2017, 10:37 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 07:00 PM)jaglyn Wrote: When we got t-boned and the other driver was determined at fault, our own insurance immediately paid for the totaled car and medical expenses (after our deductible), and then once we were taken care of, they go after the other driver's insurance to recoup the costs. I'm guessing that's how it typically works.

Thanks! I have never been in a traffic accident so I have no clue how it works. He's been with this insurance company for 20 years and he knows his agent well so I'm hoping they'll do right by him and not make this a bigger deal than it needs to be. I don't think the gravity of the situation has hit him yet, specifically losing his paid for car, and when it does he's going to be stressed to the max. We live a good 50 miles one way from his workplace and we're down to him using my truck (a 2002 Silverado) and his old work truck (a 1992 Ford) he uses for side jobs. Neither gets great gas mileage and they're both on the back end of their life cycles. I have maintained my truck well but it's got some miles on it. Until we figure out what to do about a vehicle for him it's going to be interesting to figure this out.

I also forgot to add that once both insurance companies settled it, we were refunded our deductible. Sorry you have to go through that, but be thankful (and I know you are) that a serious injury did not happen. Our accident happened near downtown Jax, when I-95 Northbound and I-10 Eastbound used to merge, and we got hit by someone who lost control of their vehicle at a high rate of speed. It could have been a lot worse but thankfully nothing serious happened. I'm an extremely defensive driver now.

Glad to hear he's ok, Americus.

I hope the car situation is resolved without too much stress or financial strain.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Also glad here that he's OK. It's very unsafe out there as many people aren't giving driving its proper attention. It is the most dangerous thing you do every and people take it for granted or abuse the rules.

I am bordering on a rant and will stop but, again, I'm thankful for you that everybody's OK.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Farah&Farah? Morgan&Morgan?
Huh

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2017, 07:28 AM by The Real Marty.)

(12-07-2017, 11:58 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: When people pull out in front of you, sometimes not even coming to a complete stop at the stop sign or traffic light, and you end up t-boning them because you can't stop in time. 

This happened to my husband this morning. Some douche bag pulls out in front of him and he can't stop in time and hits the guy. He ended up in the ER with 11 stitches in his forehead, bruising on his torso when the seat belt locked up on impact and a totaled car we JUST had a new radiator installed in. On Tuesday. And the car was paid for. 

People need to slow the hell down and pay attention to what they're doing behind the wheel. DO NOT EXPECT PEOPLE TO (BE ABLE TO) STOP IF YOU PULL OUT RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM. You don't even know if they're paying attention to what they're doing, much less what you're doing, and may not see your dumb [BLEEP] breaking the law and try to avoid a collision. I see this happen a lot around here. People don't bother stopping at stop lights or signs, they just roll out expecting you to slow down. Or they're in a middle turn lane and take that left right in front of you, expecting you to slow down or stop for them. 

Thankfully my husband is religious about doing the speed limit or this could have been a lot worse.

I'm glad to hear your husband is okay, but I have to say, you live in North Carolina, right?   I've driven in a lot of places, and I've driven in North Carolina a LOT, and in my opinion, the drivers in North Carolina are the worst anywhere I've been.  So many of them are completely oblivious to the other drivers on the road.   Several times, I have narrowly escaped accidents there.   It's the country folks in the pickup trucks that are the absolute worst. They act like there are no other cars on the road.

(12-08-2017, 09:25 AM)Monty Wrote: Farah&Farah?  Morgan&Morgan?

They probably won't travel to NC.  Wink

(12-09-2017, 07:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 11:58 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: When people pull out in front of you, sometimes not even coming to a complete stop at the stop sign or traffic light, and you end up t-boning them because you can't stop in time. 

I'm glad to hear your husband is okay, but I have to say, you live in North Carolina, right?   I've driven in a lot of places, and I've driven in North Carolina a LOT, and in my opinion, the drivers in North Carolina are the worst anywhere I've been.  So many of them are completely oblivious to the other drivers on the road.   Several times, I have narrowly escaped accidents there.   It's the country folks in the pickup trucks that are the absolute worst.  They act like there are no other cars on the road.
We do live in a small town in NC. The problem in our immediate area is the old folks. We have a lot of retirees from up north and they're either extremely impatient or they shouldn't have a drivers license anymore. We have the occasional redneck that wants to hog the road with their big truck but it's the old folks that freak me out. Oh, and the young kids who text and drive. There was a young man who was texting and driving, ran a stop sign, hit a tractor trailer and was killed. This happened the same day as my husband's accident. I was next to an older woman the other day who was texting and driving. I wanted to honk my horn at her just to get her attention but thought she might hit me, so I didn't. Also, for a Silverado my horn is wimpy sounding. It sounds like it belongs on a Ford Focus. So it probably wouldn't have phased her.

So, what happened was my husband was going down the road (55mph speed limit) and this car is coming from his right. He slows down some as a guy pulls out making a right turn but hauls [BLEEP] to get out of his way. Then the car he hit is coming from the same road on the right. She hesitates but then hits the gas and pulls out in front of him making a LEFT TURN. He hit her on the driver side and she wasn't wearing a seat belt. Dumb cow. On so many levels. I hope she's learned a lesson. 

That road they were coming off of clearly has a stop sign and the Highway Patrol officer said she was most definitely at fault. It's a dangerous road and most people don't understand why the speed limit is 55mph because there are a lot of side roads. 

The thing is, this is not an isolated incident. He said that's the fourth close call he's had this month with people just pulling out in front of him and he was able to swerve or hit the brakes to avoid hitting them because the speed limit was much lower. I know this happens to me a lot and I see it happen a lot. People running signs and lights, pulling out thinking your going to slow down, etc. There was a lady the other day who blatantly ran a red light in a left turn lane. She was waiting for oncoming traffic to pass and she made that left turn on red. I've had people behind me honk because I stopped at a yellow light that I knew was turning red any second. I've had people honk at me for stopping at a stop sign. Seriously. 

Stuff like this is the only reason why I would be okay with the "red light cameras" because it's becoming such a serious problem. If people had to pay a fine and their DL and insurance suffered as a result of their stupidity maybe they would think twice about their choices.

(12-09-2017, 03:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So, what happened was my husband was going down the road (55mph speed limit) and this car is coming from his right. He slows down some as a guy pulls out making a right turn but hauls [BLEEP] to get out of his way. Then the car he hit is coming from the same road on the right. She hesitates but then hits the gas and pulls out in front of him making a LEFT TURN. He hit her on the driver side and she wasn't wearing a seat belt. Dumb cow. On so many levels. I hope she's learned a lesson. 

That road they were coming off of clearly has a stop sign and the Highway Patrol officer said she was most definitely at fault. It's a dangerous road and most people don't understand why the speed limit is 55mph because there are a lot of side roads. 

The thing is, this is not an isolated incident. He said that's the fourth close call he's had this month with people just pulling out in front of him and he was able to swerve or hit the brakes to avoid hitting them because the speed limit was much lower. I know this happens to me a lot and I see it happen a lot. People running signs and lights, pulling out thinking your going to slow down, etc. There was a lady the other day who blatantly ran a red light in a left turn lane. She was waiting for oncoming traffic to pass and she made that left turn on red. I've had people behind me honk because I stopped at a yellow light that I knew was turning red any second. I've had people honk at me for stopping at a stop sign. Seriously. 

Stuff like this is the only reason why I would be okay with the "red light cameras" because it's becoming such a serious problem. If people had to pay a fine and their DL and insurance suffered as a result of their stupidity maybe they would think twice about their choices.

Did the dumb cow get hurt?