Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Browns fire GM but decide to keep Hue Jackson

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21699...ashi-brown

Browns going to Brown. Makes absolutely no sense. Let's now bring in a GM who doesn't get to pick his own head coach.

So glad we aren't fans of the Browns.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

New GM could come in and change HC... depending on who they get I would expect some more changes.

If it were me... I'd do a total Dave Caldwell tear down.
Ship off any veteran talent under contract for whatever picks we could get and start the total rebuild from the lines.

They're gonna suck next 2 seasons probably anyway... Use all that draft capital to solidify the lines and then look to shoring up one side of the ball at a time.
Hire a rah rah coach to get the extremely young roster to fight thru the really bad years and then once the roster is built up bring in a more disciplined coach.

(12-07-2017, 01:54 PM)Kane Wrote: New GM could come in and change HC... depending on who they get I would expect some more changes.

Ship off any veteran talent under contract for whatever picks we could get and start the total rebuild from the lines.

They're gonna suck next 2 seasons probably anyway... Use all that draft capital to solidify the lines and then look to shoring up one side of the ball at a time.
Hire a rah rah coach to get the extremely young roster to fight thru the really bad years and then once the roster is built up bring in a more disciplined coach.

Gus Bradley's next head coaching gig!

(12-07-2017, 12:17 PM)Brett Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21699...ashi-brown

Browns going to Brown. Makes absolutely no sense. Let's now bring in a GM who doesn't get to pick his own head coach.

So glad we aren't fans of the Browns.

Yes, glad we allowed Caldwell to pick Gus Bradley instead of having to hang on to Mike Mularkey

(12-07-2017, 01:54 PM)Kane Wrote: New GM could come in and change HC... depending on who they get I would expect some more changes.

Haha Brown had actually already done just what you said. Sashi Brown just used all of the draft picks and squandered them. Spent a load of picks on WRs and the only serviceable one (Coleman) is made of glass. He had the right idea but mistakenly thought he was a scout.

I think Hue is a good coach so I'm a little more forgiving with the decision to keep him. I just don't know if he'll have enough time left to show he can get them competitive considering they're admitting that the talent evaluation was lacking with the move to fire Sashi. If they're saying he needs to have this team competitive next year or he's gone they should just part ways now. If by keeping him they're committing to giving Hue a clean slate the way Del Rio got here when Shaq Harris was let go and Gene Smith was promoted, then that makes more sense. They'd probably have to hire a GM that's familiar with Hue though. Someone that worked with him during his time in Oakland or Cincinnati would make sense if that's what they are thinking.

(12-07-2017, 02:49 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I think Hue is a good coach so I'm a little more forgiving with the decision to keep him.  I just don't know if he'll have enough time left to show he can get them competitive considering they're admitting that the talent evaluation was lacking with the move to fire Sashi.  If they're saying he needs to have this team competitive next year or he's gone they should just part ways now.  If by keeping him they're committing to giving Hue a clean slate the way Del Rio got here when Shaq Harris was let go and Gene Smith was promoted, then that makes more sense.  They'd probably have to hire a GM that's familiar with Hue though.  Someone that worked with him during his time in Oakland or Cincinnati would make sense if that's what they are thinking.

The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is the worst in the NFL the past two years.

Hue is a bad coach.

Makes no sense. They have some great pieces in place now because of Sashi. It's coaching. Hue is not a good fit for that organization.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(12-07-2017, 03:35 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Makes no sense. They have some great pieces in place now because of Sashi. It's coaching. Hue is not a good fit for that organization.

Sashi passed on Wentz and Watson... drafted Kizer... picked Mingo with his first ever first round pick.
And a host of failed picks thru 2014-2016

Coleman might become something, maybe...
His 2017 draft might turn out to be OK but I don't think he did well avoiding picking a first round QB and targeting playmakers at WR and TE instead of giving a young QB protection via OL or strong defensive players.

Maybe Hue is a good coach. Maybe he went into an unwinnable situation.
But he was hailed as a QB whisperer and in 2 seasons hasn't even sniffed winning enough.

They need a complete overhaul and it would probably do Hue some good to go back to being a coordinator and retry HC later.

(12-07-2017, 03:17 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 02:49 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I think Hue is a good coach so I'm a little more forgiving with the decision to keep him.  I just don't know if he'll have enough time left to show he can get them competitive considering they're admitting that the talent evaluation was lacking with the move to fire Sashi.  If they're saying he needs to have this team competitive next year or he's gone they should just part ways now.  If by keeping him they're committing to giving Hue a clean slate the way Del Rio got here when Shaq Harris was let go and Gene Smith was promoted, then that makes more sense.  They'd probably have to hire a GM that's familiar with Hue though.  Someone that worked with him during his time in Oakland or Cincinnati would make sense if that's what they are thinking.

The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is the worst in the NFL the past two years.

Hue is a bad coach.

Most coaches wouldn't survive his record in Cleveland.  I will say despite the wins not being there, the Browns are playing tough and staying in games and I also thought he did a good job with a weak roster in his 1 year as head coach with the Raiders back in 2011 taking them to 8-8.  He had Carson Palmer at QB for part of that year.  He really hasn't had anyone of note behind center since he's been in Cleveland.

All I can surmise is it must have been Sashi's decision alone to pass on Wentz two years ago and to trade out of the 12th pick this year and allow the Texans to get Watson.  If Hue had supported those decisions behind the scenes, I can't imagine him still being there.  I'm guessing he probably wasn't in favor of either of those moves.  Kizer seemed like a pick they probably went away from their board for since all the other QBs were already gone.

Haslem seems to make all the wrong moves so maybe keeping Hue is just a continuation of that, but I don't think he's that bad.  I don't like him as much as I like the job Todd Bowles has done in New York, but I do like Hue.

(12-07-2017, 03:57 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 03:35 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Makes no sense. They have some great pieces in place now because of Sashi. It's coaching. Hue is not a good fit for that organization.

Sashi passed on Wentz and Watson... drafted Kizer... picked Mingo with his first ever first round pick.

His 2017 draft might turn out to be OK but I don't think he did well avoiding picking a first round QB and targeting playmakers at WR and TE instead of giving a young QB protection via OL or strong defensive players.

But he was hailed as a QB whisperer and in 2 seasons hasn't even sniffed winning enough.

They need a complete overhaul and it would probably do Hue some good to go back to being a coordinator and retry HC later.

If I remember right, Sashi passed on some good players (hindsight) because of being strongarmed. All GMs have some rough patches but coaching can gloss those over. In all honesty, all the pieces need to be in unison but I think they scapegoated the wrong person. Maybe they should have just got rid of both?

(12-07-2017, 04:45 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 03:57 PM)Kane Wrote: Sashi passed on Wentz and Watson... drafted Kizer... picked Mingo with his first ever first round pick.

If I remember right, Sashi passed on some good players (hindsight) because of being strongarmed. All GMs have some rough patches but coaching can gloss those over. In all honesty, all the pieces need to be in unison but I think they scapegoated the wrong person. Maybe they should have just got rid of both?
Indeed. That franchise needs a fresh start. But from what I've read the issue may be further up.
I think Hue will be let go and the new GM will go try to get his own guy. But for now ownership is gonna let Hue ride out the season it seems.

(12-07-2017, 04:50 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 04:45 PM)B2hibry Wrote: If I remember right, Sashi passed on some good players (hindsight) because of being strongarmed. All GMs have some rough patches but coaching can gloss those over. In all honesty, all the pieces need to be in unison but I think they scapegoated the wrong person. Maybe they should have just got rid of both?
Indeed. That franchise needs a fresh start. But from what I've read the issue may be further up.
I think Hue will be let go and the new GM will go try to get his own guy. But for now ownership is gonna let Hue ride out the season it seems.

Certainly looks to need another cleaning. Can't argue with going down in flames with Hue. Not going to fix anything in week 14.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2017, 04:59 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

They already did the teardown except for Thomas. They are loaded with picks and cap space. Hue Jackson has been a good coach at other stops, so I think its wise to see what he could do with a traditional GM. I am almost certain the front office made him look bad and not the other way around.

(12-07-2017, 02:31 PM)Dumptruck Wrote:

Haha Brown had actually already done just what you said. Sashi Brown just used all of the draft picks and squandered them. Spent a load of picks on WRs and the only serviceable one (Coleman) is made of glass. He had the right idea but mistakenly thought he was a scout.
This is completely right, didn't see it when I made my post, but I agree.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2017, 07:13 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Who are the "great pieces" Sashi Brown acquired? How many of them were based on his own evaluations of players? Any GM would draft Myles Garrett #1 overall, but nobody worth his salt would rather swallow a bad QB's  $16 million salary if all they wanted was the pick, not the player, than draft a legitimate franchise QB with the #2 overall pick, or botch a trade for a QB by missing the deadline.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017, 09:08 AM by The Real Marty.)

My understanding is they have stockpiled a boatload of high draft picks in the next draft, plus they have tons and tons of cap space.  The new GM will pick the next head coach.  As we've seen from our own Jags, there's not that great a distance from worst in the league to contention.  They've already done a nice job of tearing things down and tanking.   They're teed up to make a comeback in just a couple of seasons.   The key to their future success is to get the owner to stay out of things.   That may not be possible.  The best thing for them to do is hire a guy like we hired with Coughlin- an overseer who can be between the owner and the GM.

As for Hue, he may or may not be a decent coach, but from what I have seen, if you lose enough games, it's impossible to turn things around.  The HC loses credibility with the players in that kind of situation.

Edit: I looked it up, and in the 2018 draft, they have 13 picks, FIVE in the first 2 rounds. Wow. That, plus huge cap space, sets them up for a BIG comeback if they can make the right moves.

They already did that 2 seasons ago.  Their defense is looking promising.  I think they jumped the gun and have not shown enough patience here but hey it is Cleveland.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

You know at this point, every 1 to 2 years the Browns fire a coach and draft a rookie QB and throw both of them into the fire to fast. Keep Hue and try to lure Manning, Cousins, or some other decent vet and let Kizer and whoever you draft learn from them for a season. Use the 5 2018, 1st/2nd round picks to develop something great. Defense is pretty decent. SO build a great O-Line. Looks like one of the most talented WR's is back in the league and ready to go. Much of this 0-12 season is not all on Hue. You have the worst roster in the world. Even a great coach could not muster more than 4 -5 wins out of this team.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

Manning would retire before playing for the Browns.
Huh

(12-08-2017, 09:48 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: You know at this point, every 1 to 2 years the Browns fire a coach and draft a rookie QB and throw both of them into the fire to fast. Keep Hue and try to lure Manning, Cousins, or some other decent vet and let Kizer and whoever you draft learn from them for a season. Use the 5 2018, 1st/2nd round picks to develop something great. Defense is pretty decent. So build a great O-Line. Looks like one of the most talented WR's is back in the league and ready to go. Much of this 0-12 season is not all on Hue. You have the worst roster in the world. Even a great coach could not muster more than 4 -5 wins out of this team.

The Browns tried to get A.J. McCarron, but did not look at any of their clocks. Then when the NFL told them it was after 4:00, they balked anad asked for a grace period. If the Browns really wanted McCarron that badly, why diid they wait until 3:55 to brokeer a deal? That type of incompetence will make Cleveland unattractive for QBs who can choose any team they want no matter how much money is offered.

BTW they improved their OL but made their defense worse this year.