Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2.2 Million New Jobs Since Election

Most likely these number are folks entering the workforce first time or getting back into after a 6 month plus hiatus. Either way there are indeed more jobs being filled.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-09-2017, 03:32 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I don't think people know or remember just how unemployment findings are calculated. I used to think it was great when unemployment numbers went up until I researched how "They" come to those numbers. It's almost like statistics; they are easily manipulated depending on the questions asked and the demographic, socioeconomic status, race, gender, political affiliation, etc., of the folks they're polling. 

If more people are indeed employed then that's great. But that's not always the case when it comes to how unemployed information is gathered.

Yep. Labor Force Participation Rate is a better measure of the state of employment. Notice how it plummeted throughout most of Obama's tenure. It hasn't gone up much since it hit bottom in 2014. Trump can't claim an improvement, but at least he hasn't caused an Obama level disaster yet.

[Image: latest_numbers_LNS11300000_2007_2017_all...1_data.gif]

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(12-09-2017, 06:20 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(12-09-2017, 03:32 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I don't think people know or remember just how unemployment findings are calculated. I used to think it was great when unemployment numbers went up until I researched how "They" come to those numbers. It's almost like statistics; they are easily manipulated depending on the questions asked and the demographic, socioeconomic status, race, gender, political affiliation, etc., of the folks they're polling. 

If more people are indeed employed then that's great. But that's not always the case when it comes to how unemployed information is gathered.

Yep. Labor Force Participation Rate is a better measure of the state of employment. Notice how it plummeted throughout most of Obama's tenure. It hasn't gone up much since it hit bottom in 2014. Trump can't claim an improvement, but at least he hasn't caused an Obama level disaster yet.

That number is about Boomers retiring as it is anything else. Those that didn't get out got RIFd and cant find other work. We need the population to balance by those dear folks passing on before the participation rate matters again.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-09-2017, 06:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-09-2017, 06:20 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Yep. Labor Force Participation Rate is a better measure of the state of employment. Notice how it plummeted throughout most of Obama's tenure. It hasn't gone up much since it hit bottom in 2014. Trump can't claim an improvement, but at least he hasn't caused an Obama level disaster yet.

That number is about Boomers retiring as it is anything else. Those that didn't get out got RIFd and cant find other work. We need the population to balance by those dear folks passing on before the participation rate matters again.
Folks retiring shouldn't even be considered as unemployed when it comes to deciding who is truly unemployed due to being fired, their job downsized or cut, etc. This is one example of why the "unemployment numbers" are not accurate in the least. I could go on about this but it's too late in the day to get my blood pressure up.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2017, 10:32 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(12-09-2017, 06:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-09-2017, 06:20 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Yep. Labor Force Participation Rate is a better measure of the state of employment. Notice how it plummeted throughout most of Obama's tenure. It hasn't gone up much since it hit bottom in 2014. Trump can't claim an improvement, but at least he hasn't caused an Obama level disaster yet.

That is somewhat part of it, but its a bit more than that. People who have given up are called marginally attached and discouraged. Heres something from the Balance on it:
Here's how to calculate the labor force participation rate for October 2017.

Number (in millions)  
Percent 
Population (P)
 Not in Labor Force
   Marginally attached
       Discouraged
 Labor Force (LF)
       160.381     62.7% of Population
   Employed 

153.861      60.2% of Population
   Unemployed
        6.520        4.1% of Labor Force

https://www.thebalance.com/labor-force-p...es-3305805

Edit: looks better on the source. Can't paste screen shots for some reason.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-08-2017, 04:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 03:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: He is popular. He will become more popular when tax reform passes and people have a tangible reminder of why he is president.

His approval rating hovers around 40%, and his disapproval rating hovers around 60%.   And this is without a recession or anything noteworthy going wrong.

I would be interested to know how these ratings are determined...Polls certainly could be manipulated by making sure they call or ask people who they know will give them a favorable answer to fit their agenda

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017, 12:18 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

(12-10-2017, 04:37 AM)wrong_box Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 04:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: His approval rating hovers around 40%, and his disapproval rating hovers around 60%.   And this is without a recession or anything noteworthy going wrong.

I would be interested to know how these ratings are determined...Polls certainly could be manipulated by making sure they call or ask people who they know will give them a favorable answer to fit their agenda

During the election there was quite a bit of oversampling of democrats (in the plus 6% range). It was funny that only the polls that used algorithms got it right LA times and that weird one from Harvard that tracked online chatter or something like that. I believe Rasmussen did as well, but at this point I am going on memory.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017, 01:09 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Antonio Brown - Business is Boomin'

[Image: Rolls-Royce-Ghost-Wrapped.jpg]

[Image: abcar.jpg]