Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Baker Mayfield

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2018, 05:42 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-02-2018, 04:30 PM)Dumptruck Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 03:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I hated Manziel, but Mayfield IS NOT Manziel. Manziel was skinny and had the body of a 13 year old boy. He also put outside stuff ahead of football. Mayfield is stout, has a stronger lower body and is passionate about the game. Maybe too passionate at times. He is also mobile enough to move around in the pocket, but I wouldn't really call him a running QB, like Manziel was. I see him more as a Drew Brees type than a Russell Wilson type. He's been fantastic all year, but now people are bagging on him, because his team was eliminated from the playoffs when the loss was not even his fault. Unbelievable!

Manziel was short and thus you had to move the pocket to accommodate him. I think Mayfield will have the same issue. I had issues with Mayfield well before the bowl game. He plays in a conference that doesn't play defense and all of the QBs put up absurd numbers. None of them amount to much when they get to the pros. 

I certainly don't see any Drew Brees in Mayfield's game.

(01-02-2018, 04:11 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: If Mayfield did fall to the Jaguars at the end of round 1, they would have to seriously consider it. He still would be a little risky due to his size, but his leadership and history of winning at all levels should not be underestimated. That was what stood out about Watson and so far he looks like the real deal.

Being a winner in college is meaningless in the pros if you don't have the physical or mental abilities to perform at that level. Tebow, Leinart, Vince Young, and Wuerrfel were all winners in college.

Other than height, (which I still believe Mayfield is taller,) I see absolutely no comparison between Mayfield and Manziel. They are totally different types of players. Last night Baker stood right in front of Sony Michel for the overtime flip of the coin. Michel is listed at 5'11" and Mayfield is significantly taller. My guess is that Mayfield will measure 6'1" at the Combine,

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Mayfields 6 and a half inch according to most people.

Mayfield is a short version on Bortles with regards to throwing passes up in the air and hoping the receiver who is surrounded by defenders catches It. Did you see that prayer pass he threw early in the 4 qtr that was intercepted? And the interception cost the Sooners the game.

Wait some of you all think what Mayfield did against a UGA defense chalk full of 1st rounders wasn't impressive? He absolutely torched them for 3 quarters, with a bad stretch in the 3rd that just so happened to coincide with him getting a late hit knee to the back of the ribs that he was clearly favoring for a few series. He still looked awfully good as a whole to me.

(01-03-2018, 05:27 AM)Upper Wrote: Wait some of you all think what Mayfield did against a UGA defense chalk full of 1st rounders wasn't impressive? He absolutely torched them for 3 quarters, with a bad stretch in the 3rd that just so happened to coincide with him getting a late hit knee to the back of the ribs that he was clearly favoring for a few series. He still looked awfully good as a whole to me.

Agree 110%

I think Mayfield is this year's DeShaun Watson. Underrated player who will be drafted late in the first round, and next year, every other team will say, "Why didn't we draft that guy?"

(01-03-2018, 07:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think Mayfield is this year's DeShaun Watson.  Underrated player who will be drafted late in the first round, and next year, every other team will say, "Why didn't we draft that guy?"

Watson went 12th? That isn't that late....

But... if he can slide a little further, I wouldn't mind the Jags trading up to get him honestly.

BakeGOD MayGOAT has the ball taken out of his hands that first overtime due to a first time coach playing it safe like a beta. He will be far better than DeWOAT WOATson

(01-03-2018, 10:56 AM)jags_r_bake Wrote: BakeGOD MayGOAT has the ball taken out of his hands that first overtime due to a first time coach playing it safe like a beta. He will be far better than DeWOAT WOATson

I'm not sure if Baker is the GOAT, but I do agree with you about the Oklahoma coach playing it too safe in that 1st overtime. It would have been an extremely gutsy call to go for it on 4th and 1 or 2. But you have one of the most prolific offenses in college football history. Add in the fact that Georgia would get the ball 2nd in the next overtime and they should have gone for it. I wonder how seriously he thought about going for it.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2018, 11:28 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Mayfield measured in today for the Senior Bowl and as expected, he checked in over 6' tall. To be precise, he was 6' 3/8" and 216 lbs. That's a tad taller than Drew Brees, when he was drafted. At 216 lbs., Mayfield has plenty of meat on his bones to be durable enough for the NFL.

(01-24-2018, 11:27 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Mayfield measured in today for the Senior Bowl and as expected, he checked in over 6' tall. To be precise, he was 6' 3/8" and 216 lbs. That's a tad taller than Drew Brees, when he was drafted. At 216 lbs., Mayfield has plenty of meat on his bones to be durable enough for the NFL.

I saw that, and heard Mayock say yesterday that Mayfield was prepared to run plays.  That is a good sign when compared with Johnny Manziel, who was often unprepared when with Cleveland.

Some questions of mine have been answered.

I still want to see more of him.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Unless we are prepared to give up a first round pick in 2019 and possibly more, to move into the top 10, I don’t see any chance of us drafting Mayfield. Which is a pity, because I agree that he could be this year’s Deshaun Watson.

(01-27-2018, 11:01 AM)Andy G Wrote: Unless we are prepared to give up a first round pick in 2019 and possibly more, to move into the top 10, I don’t see any chance of us drafting Mayfield. Which is a pity, because I agree that he could be this year’s Deshaun Watson.

I've got absolutely no problem at all, giving up a 2019 first round pick and whatever else it takes. I'm normally against trading up. I believe we are essentially a QB away from winning it all, so this is a special case.

Forget about Mayfield with the Jaguars. He will be long-gone before they pick. If they are considering a 1st round quarterback, the brass may have to decide if Rudolph or Jackson would be worth taking at this spot. Personally, Jackson just makes me too nervous due to the chances of injury. No doubt he is the best "athlete," but that does not mean he will develop into a great quarterback.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2018, 09:11 PM by I am Yoda.)

Mayfield drops no lower than Washington's pick. And he make not make it past the Jets because you know they're picking a qb. If the Jags are serious about drafting a quarterback they're going to have to package players and picks to move up high enough to get one worth having.
[Image: giphy.gif]

We aren't going to be able to go high enough to get any of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. The Chiefs gave up 27 overall, 3rd rounder, and 2018 1st to move to 10. The Texans gave 25 and a 2018 1st to move to 12.

For us to go from 29 to top 5 would take what, our 1st and 2nd for this year and next? Maybe more. As much as I love Mayfield I can't do that. Hopefully the team just falls in love with Jackson or Rudolph and moves up more manageably for one of them.

(01-28-2018, 09:37 PM)Upper Wrote: We aren't going to be able to go high enough to get any of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. The Chiefs gave up 27 overall, 3rd rounder, and 2018 1st to move to 10. The Texans gave 25 and a 2018 1st to move to 12.

For us to go from 29 to top 5 would take what, our 1st and 2nd for this year and next? Maybe more. As much as I love Mayfield I can't do that. Hopefully the team just falls in love with Rudolph and moves up more manageably for of him.

FIFY.