Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Seahawks Game

Early to Mid December, cold (for Jacksonville), and a meaningful game.  I still smile thinking about that in relation to the Jaguars.  Though the players like Ramsey bristled at the idea this was some sort of statement game, the fact is this would help change some perceptions of the Jaguars around the country, and here, to some extent.

My thoughts:

1.  Bortles had an amazing game!  Even though two of the members from the "Legion of Boom" secondary did not play, the fact is, the Seahawks are still a respectable defense (at least from a talent/performance perspective).  But reputations notwithstanding, Bortles shredded the Hawks.  His throws were mostly on target, with his passes to Coles and Westbrook for TDs being things of beauty, showing medium and deep range touch, accuracy and good decision making.  This is the level of play the team and fans have hope for from him.  If he continues to play at this level or better, the sky is the limit for this team!

2.  Even though the secondary gave up some huge plays in the second half, CBs A.J. Bouye and Jalen Ramsey were not among the guilty parties.  To the Contrary, they were exemplary today, recording three INTs between them, and surrendering little, if any yards to anyone they covered.

3.  Given what transpired in losses to the Jets and Cards, and the win over the Chargers, there was a case to be made that the Jaguars did not know how to perform in clutch situations.  However, today, the Jaguars made the counterargument to that indictment with key performances in all three phases of the game.  Bortles had key late completions late, especially the fade to Westbrook that flipped the field and gave the Jaguars a key first down.  Of course, Fournette's run converted a 3rd and 11 and effectively iced the game for the Jaguars.  Defensively, Malik Jackson had a crucial 3rd down sack of Russell Wilson making 4th down much more difficult, and Colvin tripped, and wisely held the slot receiver.  Fortunately it wasn't called, and the game was over.  On special teams, besides Mickens coming up huge with a punt return down to the one, Lambo hit a key 51 year old FG.  Performing well in the clutch is something teams need to learn how to do in becoming winners.  It seems that is another box this team has checked off.

4.  I have to admit, I didn't think Omameh was a particularly physical presence inside the O-Line.  To the extent I have pondered this coming off season (hey old habits die hard), I figured G would be a position we could stand to upgrade.  However, his return to health and the starting lineup seems to have made a difference in the running game.  We were able to move the ball well on the ground today, and I think that helped Bortles tremendously.  In fact, I'd say this was the best our OL as a whole has performed in a while.  I sure hope they keep this up.

5.  I referenced Colvin's hold of the Seattle slot receiver on that 4th down play late, and Haks fans are going to be butt hurt over that call.  But they shouldn't complain too much, because our defensive linemen were getting repeatedly held and the refs wouldn't call it.  Of the one holding call I counted that went against Seattle, there were several other instances where the refs swallowed their whistles.

6.  On the whole, special teams were amazing.  Going into the game, I was terrified of Tyler Lockett, but the team effectively neutralized him.  It was unfortunate that the reverse on the return was negated by penalty, but the near TD by Mickens later made up for it.  Lambo was perfect on his kicks.  Nortman did not punt often, but he seemed to pin Seattle deep.  The one minus against the Special teams' was Grant's fumble on the kickoff that led to the Seattle TD that tied the game at 10.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard Fournette, eclipsed 100 yards rushing in this game, scored a TD, and had the clutch 3rd and 11 conversion late to seal the win.  Would have had more yards had he not stumbled on what would have been a long run.
  • Cam Robinson-had a couple of false starts, but otherwise had his best game in ages.  Seemed absolutely livid during the late brawls.
  • Dawaune Smoot-Had an early pressure of Wilson, and was in on a tackle later.
  • DeDe Westbrook-had a very good game today, with a TD and the late catch of the fade from Bortles down the right sideline.
  • Blair Brown-Started in place of the injured Telvin Smith.  had a sack/intentional grounding on Russell Wilson
  • Keelan Cole-showed the deep speed explosiveness he displayed in the preseason in scoring the deep TD.
8.  Normally I do not discuss the opponents in this post, but I have to offer laurels and darts.  Laurels to Seahawks QB Russell Wilson.  His 3 INTs hurt the 'hawks, but when he's on, he seems impossible to stop.  Under some circumstances, I might be concerned that he has found a weakness in our scheme that other QBs might exploit, but I rest easy knowing not many QBs are Russell Wilson.  By all accounts, Seattle should have been blown out.  They only made it close because of Wilson.  However, darts to Michael Bennett and the Seahawks defense.  It seems Seattle's defense makes it a habit of starting fights after losing big games.  They did it in the SB loss to the Patriots, and they did it here.  DE Michael Bennett went knee hunting after Linder on a kneel down to kill the clock, starting a brouhaha that involved Fournette.  The next play, the skirmish continued with a Seahawks DT getting tossed from the game.  As he left the game, a fan threw something at him and he tried to go into the stands to go after the fan.  I do not condone the fans throwing things in the field, but the Seahawks can't go out like that after a loss.

9.  I have to give kudos to Marrone and Hackett for the offensive playcalling.  The play call in response to Seattle tying the game was excellent, enabling the Jaguars to stop Seattle's momentum in its tracks.

10.  Bottom line-We now officially have the team's first winning season since 2007.  Thanks to the Cardinals, our loss to them was not a complete disaster because they turned around and beat the Tacks.  Now we are a game up and in sole possession of first place in the division with three games remaining, with us having winnable games against Houston and at San Francisco before we travel to Tennessee, while the tacks have a tough, game right before us when they host the Rams on Christmas eve.  The Rams are battling for playoff position, too.  It's entirely possible we can have the division wrapped up before we play the tacks on week 17.  I'm starting to smell that division title.  It smells good and it's making me hungry.  Hopefully the team stays hungry and focused on beating Houston and takes care of business these next three weeks.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Thanks for the nice recap. I agree across the board. As an avid BB5 complainer, it was great to see him not only hit on the plays but to drop the ball with touch. I have been complaining about him being behind the receiver and putting them in bad positions but he is on a roll. I hope he stays level headed and keeps working the game plans and making progress.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

It's going to be comedy listening to everybody use Seattle's injuries as an excuse for why Bortles shredded that Defense up and down the field, all game long today.

Yet nobody was talking about those injuries when Seattle's defense put it on, and shut down the league leading Eagles last weekend..

I will giver our Defensive line credit for containing Wilson as well. He got them on a few plays but they bottled him up. This is the first time in forever I don't remember an opposing team's TE scorching us as well.
The Khan Years

(12-11-2017, 03:01 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: I will giver our Defensive line credit for containing Wilson as well.  He got them on a few plays but they bottled him up.  This is the first time in forever I don't remember an opposing team's TE scorching us as well.

Any other QB, but Wilson, gets sacked AT LEAST 4-5 times today. Wilson is just soo damn slippery it's ridiculous.

Great writeup as usual, Bullseye. I must be getting old, because that game was exhausting.

Man, this team has some energy. And swagger. When they play with energy, they are really hard to beat. And Blake. What can we say about Blake? Has the light bulb gone on? Are we seeing the future? Have we solved our QB conundrum? This is exciting stuff.

Sometimes you don't realize what's happening until long after it happens. What did Jalen Ramsey say? Something like "We were sorry last year but we aren't this year."

(12-11-2017, 07:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Great writeup as usual, Bullseye.   I must be getting old, because that game was exhausting.  

Man, this team has some energy.  And swagger.   When they play with energy, they are really hard to beat.   And Blake.  What can we say about Blake?   Has the light bulb gone on?  Are we seeing the future?  Have we solved our QB conundrum?   This is exciting stuff.  

Sometimes you don't realize what's happening until long after it happens.   What did Jalen Ramsey say?  Something like "We were sorry last year but we aren't this year."

This. As recently as 3 or 4 games ago, I was still talking about who we were going to draft/sign to replace him but he does seem like a different player. Do the different receivers have anything to do with this? Maybe it's that he seems to be getting a little more time now that the OL is back to full strength and starting to gel. He's always been a great athlete and seemed to understand the system well enough but really suffered with accuracy issues. If he can keep this up, we have a shot at making some noise in the playoffs.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Yes I'm sure the Seattle fans are salty about the forth down hold, but frankly the refs let the hawks get away with multiple third down defensive holding and interference penalties too.

It's just that the one on Colvin was the last one so it's the one remembered.

(12-11-2017, 07:26 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 07:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Great writeup as usual, Bullseye.   I must be getting old, because that game was exhausting.  

Man, this team has some energy.  And swagger.   When they play with energy, they are really hard to beat.   And Blake.  What can we say about Blake?   Has the light bulb gone on?  Are we seeing the future?  Have we solved our QB conundrum?   This is exciting stuff.  

Sometimes you don't realize what's happening until long after it happens.   What did Jalen Ramsey say?  Something like "We were sorry last year but we aren't this year."

This. As recently as 3 or 4 games ago, I was still talking about who we were going to draft/sign to replace him but he does seem like a different player. Do the different receivers have anything to do with this? Maybe it's that he seems to be getting a little more time now that the OL is back to full strength and starting to gel. He's always been a great athlete and seemed to understand the system well enough but really suffered with accuracy issues. If he can keep this up, we have a shot at making some noise in the playoffs.

Some of his throws lately are into very tight windows, where inches mean the difference between a completion and disaster.   I'm not watching his fundamentals, the game is going on and I have no time for that, but I do remember one play where on the replay I noticed him just snap the throw with a very short motion, like they teach QBs to do, and it was a completion over the middle.  I know, as a lifelong golfer, that changing a golf swing takes a very long time.  Maybe all the coaching is starting to take effect with Blake.  I don't know what it is, but if this is his new level of play, we have our quarterback.

I have to say, from just a football appreciation viewpoint, watching Russell Wilson wriggle out of a crowded hostile backfield to connect on a pass or pick up yards with his legs is magnificent to behold.

Didn't the D have a couple other sacks nullified by penalties? Seeing the confidence build in both sides of the ball is inspiring. Blake looks like he has command of a GOOD offense, defense will continually punch you in the mouth and even special teams is getting some swagger. This team is hitting 5th gear at the right time and will hopefully make noise deep into the playoffs.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

A great win, but the game should have been won by at least two scores. I think our secondary got a bit cocky and forgot what Wilson could do. But in the end after giving up 2 TD on only 3 plays the entire D stepped up.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

Bortles and the receiving core is getting hot in December. That's the spark this team needs. We've managed to go 2 - 0 now without Telvin Smith in the line up. Can't wait to see him back out there.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-11-2017, 08:05 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have to say, from just a football appreciation viewpoint, watching Russell Wilson wriggle out of a crowded hostile backfield to connect on a pass or pick up yards with his legs is magnificent to behold.

Ditto. Hate that it came against the Jags, but I can't help but admire WIlson

(12-11-2017, 07:34 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Yes I'm sure the Seattle fans are salty about the forth down hold, but frankly the refs let the hawks get away with multiple third down defensive holding and interference penalties too.

It's just that the one on Colvin was the last one so it's the one remembered.
The non PI call against Lee in the 3rd quarter I believe was terrible. The Seahawks looked to be holding on just about every pass play for them. One non call that goes the Jags way doesn't make up for the 10 plus that didn't get called.

Be salty Seattle and hopefully we play you again this season.....

(12-11-2017, 09:21 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: A great win, but the game should have been won by at least two scores. I think our secondary got a bit cocky and forgot what Wilson could do. But in the end after giving up 2 TD on only 3 plays the entire D stepped up.

They have been susceptible to those coverage handoffs all year.  When you aren't getting touchdowns on the QBs the safeties get picked on.  In all 3 of Wilson's touchdowns, there was area of responsibility mistakes.  You can't play perfect and thankfully we chalked up the W in a big game.

I know in my mind I saw us losing by a point.  These types of wins are big milestones for a young team as they figure it out.
The Khan Years

(12-11-2017, 09:51 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 09:21 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: A great win, but the game should have been won by at least two scores. I think our secondary got a bit cocky and forgot what Wilson could do. But in the end after giving up 2 TD on only 3 plays the entire D stepped up.

They have been susceptible to those coverage handoffs all year.  When you aren't getting touchdowns on the QBs the safeties get picked on.  In all 3 of Wilson's touchdowns, there was area of responsibility mistakes.  You can't play perfect and thankfully we chalked up the W in a big game.

I know in my mind I saw us losing by a point.  These types of wins are big milestones for a young team as they figure it out.

They had 3rd and 1, and Malik Jackson got the sack.  Then on the next play, Calais Campbell got great pressure, and Ramsey had the coverage.

(12-11-2017, 09:51 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:

Yea, I'm really confused here as to why Church was in coverage on WRs a lot yesterday. On one play to Baldwin (which actually wasn't a catch) Poz and Church were on him.  Not sure why that is but it's all good. If Telvin were in there, it would have been caught.

I agree on almost everything Bullseye, great post as usual!

About the special teams though I'm not sure I'd go as far as to define their play as amazing, while the Mickens punt return was great and Nortman-Lambo were very good I think in the first half the special team penalties held us back quite a bit on at least 2 drives where we had great field position and ST penalties ruined that. Especially the double penalty when we went out with 3 returners, they punted from their 10 yard line or someting and we wasted really good field position on that one.
I also wasn't a fan of the strategy of Lambo's kickoff late in the game (I think it was when we went up 24-10) which made Seattle start from their 40 allowing them to take the shot downfield and burn us for the TD.
A good performance (spot on about Lockett's returns) but in the first half we lacked a bit of discipline that costed us good field position.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017, 06:57 PM by realtorpat.)

(12-11-2017, 01:32 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Early to Mid December, cold (for Jacksonville), and a meaningful game.  I still smile thinking about that in relation to the Jaguars.  Though the players like Ramsey bristled at the idea this was some sort of statement game, the fact is this would help change some perceptions of the Jaguars around the country, and here, to some extent.

My thoughts:

1.  Bortles had an amazing game!  Even though two of the members from the "Legion of Boom" secondary did not play, the fact is, the Seahawks are still a respectable defense (at least from a talent/performance perspective).  But reputations notwithstanding, Bortles shredded the Hawks.  His throws were mostly on target, with his passes to Coles and Westbrook for TDs being things of beauty, showing medium and deep range touch, accuracy and good decision making.  This is the level of play the team and fans have hope for from him.  If he continues to play at this level or better, the sky is the limit for this team!

2.  Even though the secondary gave up some huge plays in the second half, CBs A.J. Bouye and Jalen Ramsey were not among the guilty parties.  To the Contrary, they were exemplary today, recording three INTs between them, and surrendering little, if any yards to anyone they covered.

3.  Given what transpired in losses to the Jets and Cards, and the win over the Chargers, there was a case to be made that the Jaguars did not know how to perform in clutch situations.  However, today, the Jaguars made the counterargument to that indictment with key performances in all three phases of the game.  Bortles had key late completions late, especially the fade to Westbrook that flipped the field and gave the Jaguars a key first down.  Of course, Fournette's run converted a 3rd and 11 and effectively iced the game for the Jaguars.  Defensively, Malik Jackson had a crucial 3rd down sack of Russell Wilson making 4th down much more difficult, and Colvin tripped, and wisely held the slot receiver.  Fortunately it wasn't called, and the game was over.  On special teams, besides Mickens coming up huge with a punt return down to the one, Lambo hit a key 51 year old FG.  Performing well in the clutch is something teams need to learn how to do in becoming winners.  It seems that is another box this team has checked off.

4.  I have to admit, I didn't think Omameh was a particularly physical presence inside the O-Line.  To the extent I have pondered this coming off season (hey old habits die hard), I figured G would be a position we could stand to upgrade.  However, his return to health and the starting lineup seems to have made a difference in the running game.  We were able to move the ball well on the ground today, and I think that helped Bortles tremendously.  In fact, I'd say this was the best our OL as a whole has performed in a while.  I sure hope they keep this up.

5.  I referenced Colvin's hold of the Seattle slot receiver on that 4th down play late, and Haks fans are going to be butt hurt over that call.  But they shouldn't complain too much, because our defensive linemen were getting repeatedly held and the refs wouldn't call it.  Of the one holding call I counted that went against Seattle, there were several other instances where the refs swallowed their whistles.

6.  On the whole, special teams were amazing.  Going into the game, I was terrified of Tyler Lockett, but the team effectively neutralized him.  It was unfortunate that the reverse on the return was negated by penalty, but the near TD by Mickens later made up for it.  Lambo was perfect on his kicks.  Nortman did not punt often, but he seemed to pin Seattle deep.  The one minus against the Special teams' was Grant's fumble on the kickoff that led to the Seattle TD that tied the game at 10.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard Fournette, eclipsed 100 yards rushing in this game, scored a TD, and had the clutch 3rd and 11 conversion late to seal the win.  Would have had more yards had he not stumbled on what would have been a long run.
  • Cam Robinson-had a couple of false starts, but otherwise had his best game in ages.  Seemed absolutely livid during the late brawls.
  • Dawaune Smoot-Had an early pressure of Wilson, and was in on a tackle later.
  • DeDe Westbrook-had a very good game today, with a TD and the late catch of the fade from Bortles down the right sideline.
  • Blair Brown-Started in place of the injured Telvin Smith.  had a sack/intentional grounding on Russell Wilson
  • Keelan Cole-showed the deep speed explosiveness he displayed in the preseason in scoring the deep TD.
8.  Normally I do not discuss the opponents in this post, but I have to offer laurels and darts.  Laurels to Seahawks QB Russell Wilson.  His 3 INTs hurt the 'hawks, but when he's on, he seems impossible to stop.  Under some circumstances, I might be concerned that he has found a weakness in our scheme that other QBs might exploit, but I rest easy knowing not many QBs are Russell Wilson.  By all accounts, Seattle should have been blown out.  They only made it close because of Wilson.  However, darts to Michael Bennett and the Seahawks defense.  It seems Seattle's defense makes it a habit of starting fights after losing big games.  They did it in the SB loss to the Patriots, and they did it here.  DE Michael Bennett went knee hunting after Linder on a kneel down to kill the clock, starting a brouhaha that involved Fournette.  The next play, the skirmish continued with a Seahawks DT getting tossed from the game.  As he left the game, a fan threw something at him and he tried to go into the stands to go after the fan.  I do not condone the fans throwing things in the field, but the Seahawks can't go out like that after a loss.

9.  I have to give kudos to Marrone and Hackett for the offensive playcalling.  The play call in response to Seattle tying the game was excellent, enabling the Jaguars to stop Seattle's momentum in its tracks.

10.  Bottom line-We now officially have the team's first winning season since 2007.  Thanks to the Cardinals, our loss to them was not a complete disaster because they turned around and beat the Tacks.  Now we are a game up and in sole possession of first place in the division with three games remaining, with us having winnable games against Houston and at San Francisco before we travel to Tennessee, while the tacks have a tough, game right before us when they host the Rams on Christmas eve.  The Rams are battling for playoff position, too.  It's entirely possible we can have the division wrapped up before we play the tacks on week 17.  I'm starting to smell that division title.  It smells good and it's making me hungry.  Hopefully the team stays hungry and focused on beating Houston and takes care of business these next three weeks.

I just rewatched the condensed game and share a lot of your thoughts.

Bortles and the Offensive line played an absolutely amazing game.  Bortles had time and was dropping dimes all over the field.  Clean pocket all day and solid run blocking. 

One thing I wanted to touch on is the trio of Lee, Cole, and Westbrook.  I think we all liked our wide receivers going into the season but with the injuries to Arob and then later Hurns we looked bad.  One downside of Hurns and Arob is neither really get great separation but are pretty sure handed, when Hurns went down and before Westbrook came back we seemed to lack a true go to wr because the top corner would just lock down Lee.  The nice thing about the current trio is all 3 seem to have legit speed and can get open downfield.  The speed we currently have at WR is not something we had with a healthy Hurns and Robinson.  I think this is a big part of why Bortles is playing so well.  For the first time in his career he seems to have guys that can get great separation at all 3 wr spots.  Although none of the 3 is a bonafide stud I think their games all compliment each other and through combination routes we can get somebody open on any given play.

It is a reoccurring thing with Bennett and he needs to be suspended.  There is no place in the game for behavior like that when the game is clearly over.  It really downplayed how well of a game this team played and I'm very glad for that.  The more the rest of the league can ignore how well we are playing the better we will be for it.  Also the fan behavior was weak but I would be lying if I said I wasn't laughing while it happened.  I think the real lesson is to remember its just a freaking game.  Bennett needs to learn it and the crowd needs to learn it.  We watch this team because its our team, we act like these guys should be saints and hold them to a higher standard.  If we are going to do that the fans need to be the same way.  That means taking the higher ground when talking with opposing fan bases and not losing your $#!+ in the crowd.  We can appreciate the other teams effort and our own teams effort and compliment each other.  With that said I'm going to do a few brief thoughts on the Seahawks.

Russel Wilson is an absolute savage, the amount of broken plays, missed sacks, and big time throws he made all game were amazing.  A lessor qb would have been destroyed by us today.
Mike Davis had some outstanding runs vs our D, he would be a fun player to watch if he could stay healthy
The 3 main wr they use are pretty similar to ours.
I think when Wright and Wagner both went out for the game it pretty much sealed it for us, they have held that hurt defense together like glue and both are tremendously fun to watch fly around.
Joekle has gotten slightly better.

Its hard to argue against Ramsey and Bouye both being 1st team all pros at this point.

What can we say about the dline that hasn't been said damn near every weak of the season.  I haven't had this much fun watching a defense play since Donavon Darius was in his prime.  Seems like every play another offense makes is a fluke, has serious holding, a complete struggle, or on the verge of disaster the entire time.

Mickens... This kid is a player, the way he patiently waited for his blocks to setup before pushing the ball upfield on the long punt return was incredible.  This kid was a great find.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine