Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Music

(02-03-2018, 01:16 PM)The Drifter Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 01:25 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I go straight for the good stuff, Black Sabbath's Greatest Hits. I love "Sweet Leaf" and "N.I.B."

The "We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll" CD  is their Greatest hits through their 1st 6 LP's

I know. I have it. I just call it greatest hits. A lot of times, bands don't name their greatest hits albums and I have so many, I just refer to them all as greatest hits. In the case of Black Sabbath, I believe it may be one of the 10 best albums of all-time. There literally isn't a single song on it that I don't like. From The Wizard to Changes to the self titled Black Sabbath, it's all great. My aunt made me a fan. She was in high school when I was in first grade and sometimes she'd pick me up from school in he 1966 Mustang convertible. She'd put in her Vol. 4, eight track (Yes, I'm that old,) and we'd listen to Snowblind.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2018, 12:56 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

Corrosion of Conformity is one of my favorite bands and they just dropped their new album No Cross No Crown a few weeks ago and it is very good. One of their best I think. If you're not familiar with them, they're a bluesy/southern rock/metal band heavily influenced by Sabbath and Skynyrd. Check them out if you're looking for something along those lines.

[Image: 260px-RageAgainsttheMachineRageAgainsttheMachine.jpg]

This was the soundtrack to my journey to work tonight. Classic.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(02-02-2018, 08:48 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 08:24 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Well, I'm listeniing to early Black Sabbath right now, their "We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll" CD.
Early Sabbath and early Pink Floyd are two of my favorites

My first Sabbath album (and one of the first albums I bought for myself) was Sabotage. It really blew my mind, before that I didn't know you could even make music like that.

I went to a Black Sabbath concert a good 40 years ago and I couldn't begin to tell you a thing about the concert...or how I got home.  It was 'back in the day' when everyone shared with everyone and I'm pretty sure somebody slipped something into my bowl.

I mean...if I'd do something like that...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-04-2018, 06:41 PM)Rico Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 08:48 PM)hb1148 Wrote: My first Sabbath album (and one of the first albums I bought for myself) was Sabotage. It really blew my mind, before that I didn't know you could even make music like that.

I went to a Black Sabbath concert a good 40 years ago and I couldn't begin to tell you a thing about the concert...or how I got home.  It was 'back in the day' when everyone shared with everyone and I'm pretty sure somebody slipped something into my bowl.

I mean...if I'd do something like that...

I hear ya! Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2018, 12:56 AM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

(02-04-2018, 12:55 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Corrosion of Conformity is one of my favorite bands and they just dropped their new album No Cross No Crown a few weeks ago and it is very good.  One of their best I think.  If you're not familiar with them, they're a bluesy/southern rock/metal band heavily influenced by Sabbath and Skynyrd.  Check them out if you're looking for something along those lines.

It's funny, I always thought of them as a thrash band. But that's only because I remember the song "Technocracy" from a promotional compilation cassette I was given at a record store for buying some thrash metal albums. It had them, Possessed, Nuclear Assault, Voivod, Death, Dark Angel, Agent Steel, Crumbsuckers, Ludichrist and maybe a few others. I think I still have that tape. Nothing to play it on, though.

(02-03-2018, 04:28 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 11:56 AM)Dark Passenger Wrote: I'm a metal guy myself. My favorite band is Trivium and I'm always listening to them. I listen to bands similar to theirs, as well as death metal, thrash, hardcore, etc.

I love Trivium. I'm also a big fan of Caliban, Chimaira and In Flames... 3 of my favourite metal bands..

I'm hoping for an Incubus and a Story of the Year UK tour to be announced... it's been too long!!

You have great tastes, my friend. I've seen Trivium about seven times, but the first time I saw them headline a show is still my favorite show of all-time. I had a blast. You would've loved it too. It was Dirge Within/Whitechapel/Chimaira/Trivium. That was back around '09 or '10.

Perfect for 3.55am on the night shift..[Image: dc7943b85e2e6766b90cdb5d79127b4c.jpg]

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018, 12:47 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

(02-05-2018, 12:54 AM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(02-04-2018, 12:55 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Corrosion of Conformity is one of my favorite bands and they just dropped their new album No Cross No Crown a few weeks ago and it is very good.  One of their best I think.  If you're not familiar with them, they're a bluesy/southern rock/metal band heavily influenced by Sabbath and Skynyrd.  Check them out if you're looking for something along those lines.

It's funny, I always thought of them as a thrash band. But that's only because I remember the song "Technocracy" from a promotional compilation cassette I was given at a record store for buying some thrash metal albums. It had them, Possessed, Nuclear Assault, Voivod, Death, Dark Angel, Agent Steel, Crumbsuckers, Ludichrist and maybe a few others. I think I still have that tape. Nothing to play it on, though.

They went through several lineup and style changes in the 80s.  The original 3 members started out as more of a hardcore punk band and then became more thrash metal and added a lead vocalist.   Their album "Blind" in 1991 they changed vocalists and added Pepper Keenan on guitars to bring the band member count to 5.  Pepper did vocals on one track on "Blind" and then they parted ways with lead singer at the time Karl Agell and Pepper took over to this day with the exception of an album they put out a few years ago again as the 3 piece outfit while Pepper was touring heavily with his other band Down which you might be familiar with.  He's back now though and with him in the band their sound is very bluesy/southern rock/metal as I mentioned before.  Very underrated band.

Pepper was also a guest vocalist on Metallica's cover of Skynyrd's Tuesday's Gone on the Garage Inc. album fwiw.

Whatever happened to sound systems? It used to be all about amps, and speakers, and all these components, and how well they reproduced sound. Nowadays, everyone has their earbuds, and little portable speakers, mp3 players, and it seems like no one cares about the quality of the audio any more. We used to lay out $20 for an album, and invite all our friends over to listen to it, and now, music is so commoditized, and everyone listens to "songs." We used to buy an album and we'd feel an obligation to play the whole thing, not just one song.

I'm not saying it's all bad. Music nowadays is pretty much on demand. You can go to youtube and find anything you want, which I think is great. But I miss the days when we would put on an album, burn one, and just zone out and sit there listening without talking, with the feeling that we were right there with the band. Now, no one cares any more. They just want to load 10,000 songs onto their mp3 player and listen on their earbuds.

(02-06-2018, 08:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Whatever happened to sound systems?   It used to be all about amps, and speakers, and all these components, and how well they reproduced sound.  Nowadays, everyone has their earbuds, and little portable speakers, mp3 players, and it seems like no one cares about the quality of the audio any more.   We used to lay out $20 for an album, and invite all our friends over to listen to it, and now, music is so commoditized, and everyone listens to "songs."   We used to buy an album and we'd feel an obligation to play the whole thing, not just one song.  

I'm not saying it's all bad.  Music nowadays is pretty much on demand.  You can go to youtube and find anything you want, which I think is great.  But I miss the days when we would put on an album, burn one, and just zone out and sit there listening without talking, with the feeling that we were right there with the band.   Now, no one cares any more.  They just want to load 10,000 songs onto their mp3 player and listen on their earbuds.

(pulls earbuds out in annoyed fashion)

"What?"

(02-06-2018, 08:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Whatever happened to sound systems?   It used to be all about amps, and speakers, and all these components, and how well they reproduced sound.  Nowadays, everyone has their earbuds, and little portable speakers, mp3 players, and it seems like no one cares about the quality of the audio any more.   We used to lay out $20 for an album, and invite all our friends over to listen to it, and now, music is so commoditized, and everyone listens to "songs."   We used to buy an album and we'd feel an obligation to play the whole thing, not just one song.  

I'm not saying it's all bad.  Music nowadays is pretty much on demand.  You can go to youtube and find anything you want, which I think is great.  But I miss the days when we would put on an album, burn one, and just zone out and sit there listening without talking, with the feeling that we were right there with the band.   Now, no one cares any more.  They just want to load 10,000 songs onto their mp3 player and listen on their earbuds.

I recently went back to a nice set of Tannoy hi-fi stereo speakers.  I bought a slick little digital amp to power them that has a bluetooth receiver in it. I also set up a 3 input selector box. So I can listen to my record player, my TV, anything with bluetooth, or an aux input through these great old speakers.

I still have a large component stereo system. It's been relegated to the studio/guitar room, though. It still sounds fantastic and it's quite loud. Can't even be in the same room with it when it's cranked. 

And I'm the old die-hard who still buys CDs. I enjoy having the packaging the disc comes in. I guess that goes back to being a kid and reading every bit of the liner notes of every album I bought. And while my ears aren't what they used to be, I can still hear the difference in audio quality between CD and MP3.

(02-06-2018, 05:24 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:

I still have a large component stereo system. It's been relegated to the studio/guitar room, though. It still sounds fantastic and it's quite loud. Can't even be in the same room with it when it's cranked. 

And I'm the old die-hard who still buys CDs. I enjoy having the packaging the disc comes in. I guess that goes back to being a kid and reading every bit of the liner notes of every album I bought. And while my ears aren't what they used to be, I can still hear the difference in audio quality between CD and MP3.

CDs do not produce sound as well as a vinyl record.   Analog is better than digital because digital uses sampling to produce the sound wave.  (This assumes, of course, that your ears are good enough to tell the difference. )

I have a friend who has a couple of hundred vinyl records, mostly in perfect condition, some of which I gave him back in the distant past under long-forgotten circumstances.   But he doesn't have a turntable any more either.   I'm thinking about getting a turntable and getting some of those records back.

(02-07-2018, 07:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 05:24 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: I still have a large component stereo system. It's been relegated to the studio/guitar room, though. It still sounds fantastic and it's quite loud. Can't even be in the same room with it when it's cranked. 

CDs do not produce sound as well as a vinyl record.   Analog is better than digital because digital uses sampling to produce the sound wave.  (This assumes, of course, that your ears are good enough to tell the difference. )

I have a friend who has a couple of hundred vinyl records, mostly in perfect condition, some of which I gave him back in the distant past under long-forgotten circumstances.   But he doesn't have a turntable any more either.   I'm thinking about getting a turntable and getting some of those records back.

I've had people argue with me about that. They are always unaware of the science behind it. And in my younger years, my ears could tell the difference. Not so much anymore. The disadvantage records have is mechanical wear. As one continues to drag a needle across those plastic waveforms, the initial frequency advantage vinyl enjoyed erodes.

I never had any records myself. Everything I bought as a kid was cassette (still better audio quality than CD). I still have a bunch of those cassettes, but nothing to play them on. I wouldn't mind buying a good component cassette player, but I'm not sure they even make them anymore. They do make record players, because those are kind of coming back. And an old one never works because the bands are always worn or broken.

I still like vinyl records. Typically I buy new LPs 2 or 3 times a year. They *do* sound better than CDs as a general rule, especially on high quality equipment but digital has the potential to be much better. The "warmth" we lovers of vinyl LPs generally attribute to our analog audio is less about the LPs we play and more about the lower quality standard of the CDDA format itself (16 bits and 44.1 kilo-samples) which lends a harshness to the playbook no matter how good the DAC is. Newer digital audio formats can equal or exceed the warmth and wide open sound stage of vinyl. But no matter, when it comes down to it, there's nothing like listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" or "Who's Next" or "Rumours" on the old turntable. Smile
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(02-07-2018, 08:40 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I still like vinyl records. Typically I buy new LPs 2 or 3 times a year. They *do* sound better than CDs as a general rule, especially on high quality equipment but digital has the potential to be much better. The "warmth" we lovers of vinyl LPs generally attribute to our analog audio is less about the LPs we play and more about the lower quality standard of the CDDA format itself (16 bits and 44.1 kilo-samples) which lends a harshness to the playbook no matter how good the DAC is. Newer digital audio formats can equal or exceed the warmth and wide open sound stage of vinyl. But no matter, when it comes down to it, there's nothing like listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" or "Who's Next" or "Rumours" on the old turntable. Smile

I agree digital has the potential to sound as good as vinyl.   It just needs a sampling rate that is more than what your ears can detect.   Sort of like super high definition TV, which is getting so good that it's starting to resemble actual reality.  It's just using more data, and you have to stand closer and closer to detect the pixels.

(02-08-2018, 07:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 08:40 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I still like vinyl records. Typically I buy new LPs 2 or 3 times a year. They *do* sound better than CDs as a general rule, especially on high quality equipment but digital has the potential to be much better. The "warmth" we lovers of vinyl LPs generally attribute to our analog audio is less about the LPs we play and more about the lower quality standard of the CDDA format itself (16 bits and 44.1 kilo-samples) which lends a harshness to the playbook no matter how good the DAC is. Newer digital audio formats can equal or exceed the warmth and wide open sound stage of vinyl. But no matter, when it comes down to it, there's nothing like listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" or "Who's Next" or "Rumours" on the old turntable. Smile

I agree digital has the potential to sound as good as vinyl.   It just needs a sampling rate that is more than what your ears can detect.   Sort of like super high definition TV, which is getting so good that it's starting to resemble actual reality.  It's just using more data, and you have to stand closer and closer to detect the pixels.

That's basically the ongoing argument in the guitar community. Processors have become fast enough to sample analog signals enough to make guitar amplification modeling convincing. Some swear they can't tell the difference, others turn their nose up at anything that's not a tube amp or analog pedal. I'm in the middle. I still use a tube amp and analog pedals for everything except delay and reverb. If had to plug my guitar straight into a laptop, I'd just quit playing. But that's probably due more to being used to what I grew up with. Some of that modeling software sounds fantastic to me. But then again, I'm aware that my ears aren't what they used to be.

(02-08-2018, 04:35 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 07:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I agree digital has the potential to sound as good as vinyl.   It just needs a sampling rate that is more than what your ears can detect.   Sort of like super high definition TV, which is getting so good that it's starting to resemble actual reality.  It's just using more data, and you have to stand closer and closer to detect the pixels.

That's basically the ongoing argument in the guitar community. Processors have become fast enough to sample analog signals enough to make guitar amplification modeling convincing. Some swear they can't tell the difference, others turn their nose up at anything that's not a tube amp or analog pedal. I'm in the middle. I still use a tube amp and analog pedals for everything except delay and reverb. If had to plug my guitar straight into a laptop, I'd just quit playing. But that's probably due more to being used to what I grew up with. Some of that modeling software sounds fantastic to me. But then again, I'm aware that my ears aren't what they used to be.

I have a buddy who converts his vinyl to 24bit/96khz wav files to listen to on the go.

Takes up a ton of space, but sounds great. Tedious as hell to get done.

(02-08-2018, 07:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Yep and I'm no a purist. I love the format but I also have a SACD player and have a few SACDs which sound pretty darn good. The sound stage with vinyl can still be superior (assuming you're playing a mint condition, 180 gram LP on an audiophile level table) but under less optimal conditions SACD is comparable. And some of the multi-channel audio formats (like Dolby TrueHD) when played with dedicated audio are just unbelievable.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.