Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
High Level Thoughts on the Jags

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2017, 12:21 PM by Omaha's Number 1JAGSFAN.)

As if the weekend couldn't get any better - After the Jags  dismantle the powerful but temperamental Seahawks along with Tennessee losing to the lowly and horrible Arizona Cardinals, Miami pulls a stunner, upsetting New England. Let me connect the dots for you on what all of this potentially could mean as it pertains to the morale of the Jags and potential playoff seeding. I will give both an analytical point of view, followed by an emotional point of view.

First, the analytical point of view....

New England is at Pittsburgh next week. If the Steelers lose to New England, that would leave both teams with three losses. The Jags will destroy Houston, and then all three teams will win out the final two weeks, which will mean the top three teams in the AFC will be Jacksonville with four losses, and New England and Pittsburgh with three losses each. Based on the fact the Jags beat Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh, and handily beat New England in the preseason, I have to believe the playoff committee will give a four loss Jags team a highly coveted bye over a three loss New England our Pittsburgh team and should this scenario unfold as stated, the Jags should be given consideration not only for a bye, but also for the number one seed overall! The numbers don't lie and are right out in front for everyone to see. Three of  of the Jags four losses have come in highly questionable situations/flawed scheduling by the league and this needs to be taken into consideration when the playoff committee seeds the playoffs.  Not one other team in the league had to do a London to NYC back to back which explains the Jets loss. There is no way a players body can recover from the shift in time change and altitude change in one week, and the league should know this.  The Jags had to play Tennessee on two Sundays this year when one of these games has always been a Thursday night game for as long as I can remember, so that absolutely threw off our preparation. Furthermore, why the league would have us travel west to play a 3:00 game vs. The Cardinals is completely unacceptable. When team travel east to play us, we get stuck playing at 3:00. A little consistency here would be nice, and would have allowed us to win this game as well.  I am not trying to make excuses or rationalize, I am simply pointing out that a four loss Jacksonville team is much, much more impressive that a three loss New England or Pittsburgh team and feel that I have successfully made my case. 

Next, the emotional point of view....

Not only are the Jags having to play their scheduled opponent each week, but are having to play the seven officials along with Roger Goodell each week. It's like 11 on 19 every stinking time we step on the field. I have witnessed calls against the Jags this year that I have not seen called on any other team this year. The phantom holding, taunting and delay of game calls that have came out of left field on a game by game basis is clearly a conspiracy between the referees and Goodell to keep the Jags down. Guess what - it hasn't worked which makes the Jags 9-4 start even more impressive than what it actually is. I didn't realize the referees of the NFL have regressed to "lets make up the rules as the game goes along to screw the Jags" but whatever, we continue to overcome and just get wins.   I have to believe this blatant disrespect reaches comes as a directive from the office of Roger Goodell, and frankly, wouldn't be surprised if he leads the Texans out of the tunnel on Sunday at their game vs the Jags. So much for impartiality Mr. Commish!!!  For these reasons alone, the Jags should be awarded a first round bye for being mentally tough enough to overcome all of this nonsense! 

Selfishly, I would rather the Jags not have a bye as I enjoy watching them play, but in order to get to Minneapolis, some extra rest will be essential especially after playing the unfair travel schedule that we have.  I hope the playoff committee does the right thing - award the Jags a bye!!!

On a much more positive note, the Magic Number is now one for the Jags to clinch the Ponce De Leon Cup, meaning a Jags win or Miami Loss and the Cup goes to the Jags!!! The Ponce De Leon Cup is named in honor of the Spanish Conquistador Juan Ponce De Leon who discovered La Florida, now refereed to as Florida in either 1513 or 1514 depending on which encyclopedia you tend to believe. The Ponce De Leon Cup is awarded to the NFL team in Florida who wins the most NFL regular season games.

Standings:

The Jags 9-4
Miami  6-7
Tampa Bay 4-9 (eliminated)

Should the Jags hold on, this will be their first out right Ponce De Leon Cup Championship since 2014, which was aided by the expulsion of the Miami Dolphins that season from PDL Cup consideration for bullying.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There is no NFL Playoff Committee that decides seedings. The seedings are decided as follows:

he six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:

1. The division champion with the best record.
2. The division champion with the second-best record.
3. The division champion with the third-best record.
4. The division champion with the fourth-best record.
5. The Wild Card club with the best record.
6. The Wild Card club with the second-best record.

(12-12-2017, 12:19 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: As if the weekend couldn't get any better - After the Jags  dismantle the powerful but temperamental Seahawks along with Tennessee losing to the lowly and horrible Arizona Cardinals, Miami pulls a stunner, upsetting New England. Let me connect the dots for you on what all of this potentially could mean as it pertains to the morale of the Jags and potential playoff seeding. I will give both an analytical point of view, followed by an emotional point of view.

First, the analytical point of view....

New England is at Pittsburgh next week. If the Steelers lose to New England, that would leave both teams with three losses. The Jags will destroy Houston, and then all three teams will win out the final two weeks, which will mean the top three teams in the AFC will be Jacksonville with four losses, and New England and Pittsburgh with three losses each. Based on the fact the Jags beat Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh, and handily beat New England in the preseason, I have to believe the playoff committee will give a four loss Jags team a highly coveted bye over a three loss New England our Pittsburgh team and should this scenario unfold as stated, the Jags should be given consideration not only for a bye, but also for the number one seed overall! The numbers don't lie and are right out in front for everyone to see. Three of  of the Jags four losses have come in highly questionable situations/flawed scheduling by the league and this needs to be taken into consideration when the playoff committee seeds the playoffs.  Not one other team in the league had to do a London to NYC back to back which explains the Jets loss. There is no way a players body can recover from the shift in time change and altitude change in one week, and the league should know this.  The Jags had to play Tennessee on two Sundays this year when one of these games has always been a Thursday night game for as long as I can remember, so that absolutely threw off our preparation. Furthermore, why the league would have us travel west to play a 3:00 game vs. The Cardinals is completely unacceptable. When team travel east to play us, we get stuck playing at 3:00. A little consistency here would be nice, and would have allowed us to win this game as well.  I am not trying to make excuses or rationalize, I am simply pointing out that a four loss Jacksonville team is much, much more impressive that a three loss New England or Pittsburgh team and feel that I have successfully made my case. 

Next, the emotional point of view....

Not only are the Jags having to play their scheduled opponent each week, but are having to play the seven officials along with Roger Goodell each week. It's like 11 on 19 every stinking time we step on the field. I have witnessed calls against the Jags this year that I have not seen called on any other team this year. The phantom holding, taunting and delay of game calls that have came out of left field on a game by game basis is clearly a conspiracy between the referees and Goodell to keep the Jags down. Guess what - it hasn't worked which makes the Jags 9-4 start even more impressive than what it actually is. I didn't realize the referees of the NFL have regressed to "lets make up the rules as the game goes along to screw the Jags" but whatever, we continue to overcome and just get wins.   I have to believe this blatant disrespect reaches comes as a directive from the office of Roger Goodell, and frankly, wouldn't be surprised if he leads the Texans out of the tunnel on Sunday at their game vs the Jags. So much for impartiality Mr. Commish!!!  For these reasons alone, the Jags should be awarded a first round bye for being mentally tough enough to overcome all of this nonsense! 

Selfishly, I would rather the Jags not have a bye as I enjoy watching them play, but in order to get to Minneapolis, some extra rest will be essential especially after playing the unfair travel schedule that we have.  I hope the playoff committee does the right thing - award the Jags a bye!!!

On a much more positive note, the Magic Number is now one for the Jags to clinch the Ponce De Leon Cup, meaning a Jags win or Miami Loss and the Cup goes to the Jags!!! The Ponce De Leon Cup is named in honor of the Spanish Conquistador Juan Ponce De Leon who discovered La Florida, now refereed to as Florida in either 1513 or 1514 depending on which encyclopedia you tend to believe. The Ponce De Leon Cup is awarded to the NFL team in Florida who wins the most NFL regular season games.

Standings:

The Jags 9-4
Miami  6-7
Tampa Bay 4-9 (eliminated)

Should the Jags hold on, this will be their first out right Ponce De Leon Cup Championship since 2014, which was aided by the expulsion of the Miami Dolphins that season from PDL Cup consideration for bullying.

C- Not up to usual standards.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2017, 12:47 PM by Omaha's Number 1JAGSFAN.)

(12-12-2017, 12:38 PM)Perkolater Wrote: There is no NFL Playoff Committee that decides seedings.    The seedings are decided as follows:

Yeah Right....using your logic then why would the NFL have a playoff seeding committee??? We both know that wins/losses don't tell the entire story and to me it would be the job of the committee to put the best six teams in and award the top two teams a bye. How else would you explain Kansas City getting a bye over Pittsburgh last year, when the Chiefs were the Steelers were the better team. You really ought to do your homework next time.

(12-12-2017, 12:43 PM)Omaha's Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 12:38 PM)Perkolater Wrote: There is no NFL Playoff Committee that decides seedings.    The seedings are decided as follows:

Yeah Right....using your logic then why would the NFL have a playoff seeding committee. We both know that wins/losses don't tell the entire story and to me it would be the job of the committee to put the best six teams in and award the top two teams a bye. How else would you explain Kansas City getting a bye over Pittsburgh last year, when the Chiefs were the Steelers were the better team. You really ought to do your homework next time.

LOL... OK.. so I fell for it. Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!