Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Home Stretch Hypothetical

(12-13-2017, 04:41 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The only way you have it locked up and know it going into the game is if we get flexed to Sunday night in week 17 (or to the 4 pm slot with the Pats and Steelers games remaining at 1 pm) and already know what the scenarios are. Otherwise, Pittsburgh and New England could still lose their season finales (unlikely I know), meanwhile the Jags rest their starters for a 1 pm game against the tacks in tacky valley and lose and miss out on the 2 or even 1 seed.

Also, I'm not sure the league would appreciate us resting starters if they decided to flex us to the Sunday night game. I don't know how much of the rest of the country outside of our home market and our 2017 opponents home markets has even seen the Jags play this year. If that Jags/tacks week 17 game has any meaning at all, I could see them wanting to put it there not only because it has playoff implications but also so the whole country could get a look at the Jags prior to the playoffs. How many markets showed our 4 pm game against the Rams earlier in the year? I know only the Jags and Seahawks markets got last weekend's game with the Rams/Eagles being shown everywhere else.

Here in my area, non Sunday ticket folks have yet to see a snap of Jaguars football. I am worried about the fact that our first game under the lights and on national television could come in the playoffs. I would feel better if the team had at least experienced that once before a win or go home scenario

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2017, 01:27 AM by JagsFanSince95.)

Yes, always yes. Create your own 1st round bye if you aren't a top seeded team. Plus, chances are pretty high coming the end of week 16 we are the division champions, the Titans are not beating the Rams. Not how they're currently playing. The one thing I think gets teams though, is the 2 week break, when you are a top 2 seed and you rest guys for 2 whole weeks, I think it can really disrupt continuity taking too long of a break.

So, in the case they are 9-6 and we are 11-4, rest everyone you can and get a free bye week for the studs of this team.

Under the conclusion NE wins their game vs Steelers obviously. If we have a shot at the 2 seed then we play everyone and try to win.

I think we have some guys that could use the extra rest and guys I wouldn't want to rest like Blake. We need to keep a rhythm but I know we have some banged up players those guys should rest.
No pain, no gain.

I’m struggling to find a scenario where the week 17 game against the tacks isn’t a meaningful game and we’d have an opportunity to rest starters. The only possibilities I see are that we’re either playing for the division championship or we’re playing potentially for a bye or both. The only way it’s meaningless is if they flex us to Sunday night and NE and Pitt have in fact locked up 1 and 2 by winning their games earlier in the day, but I don’t think the league would flex us to Sunday night unless the game is for the division which again means we’re not resting anyone. Panthers/Falcons is another good candidate to be flexed to Sunday night that last week.

There isn't a scenario where we would have a non meaningful game this year.

But if we did, I would most definitely sit my starters to protect them from injury.

If we are 10-5 and Tenny is 8-7 it could be meaningless.

If Pit loses to Pats I just don't see them losing to either the Texans or Browns. Pats have Bills and Jets both at Foxboro, so I can't see them dropping another game.

For me, if the Pats win Sunday and both teams win their week 16 games then we rest those that are injured because I don't see the Steelers losing against the Browns in Pittsburgh or the Jets beating the Pats at Foxboro. Even rest #5 who has been on the injury report all year with his wrist and infact anyone carrying even the slightest niggle doesn't play.

If Pit wins Sunday, every game is play the strongest lineup to lock up the 2 seed and they'll get their rest in the bye.

Personally speaking I would hope that the healthy starters start the game.

Anyone with a slight issue sits, if the game is ours going into the 4th then have a complete overhaul.

I would hate to lose momentum going into the playoffs because the healthy starters are sitting out.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

This coaching staff can't take the foot off the pedal. Have to win every game. This is a young team and they can't get cute.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(12-13-2017, 01:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't want this to unfold in this way, but it remains a possibility, so I wanted to kick this around on the board to see what you guys think.

Suppose New England beats Pittsburgh and wins out, and the tacks collapse and lose to the Rams, making us division champs before the tack game.

Knowing we won't get the bye and the 3rd seed would be locked up for us, would you be in favor of resting starters on week 17 against the tacks?

Why or why not?

Yes.  If the game changes nothing with our seeding in the post season, give the starters a week to rest up and avoid injury.  We need them as fresh as possible for a playoff run.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(12-14-2017, 09:24 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: This coaching staff can't take the foot off the pedal.  Have to win every game.  This is a young team and they can't get cute.

I don't see it as being cute.  It's a smart move to protect the guys you'll need when it matters.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(12-14-2017, 10:51 AM)FBT Wrote:
(12-14-2017, 09:24 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: This coaching staff can't take the foot off the pedal.  Have to win every game.  This is a young team and they can't get cute.

I don't see it as being cute.  It's a smart move to protect the guys you'll need when it matters.

Yep. And there’s no trend either way towards “rested teams always get eliminated” or “teams who don’t rest get eliminated.” It’s so random

(12-14-2017, 03:03 AM)myrick31 Wrote: If we are 10-5 and Tenny is 8-7 it could be meaningless.

Still need a lot of other games to go certain ways for your scenario to render the week 17 game meaningless.  It's possible, but it's extremely, extremely unlikely.

The tacks would still be likely fighting for a playoff spot with that record as they have one of the better in-conference records as a tie breaker against other potential 9-7 playoff teams and we'd probably see them 2 weeks in a row if we're the 3 seed and they're fighting for the 6 seed in week 17.  Why not just take care of business in week 17?  It would be catastrophic if we let them into the playoffs by resting and then they came down here the following week and beat us again.  That's actually probably the very worst case scenario that could happen the rest of this year.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2017, 01:08 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(12-14-2017, 08:14 AM)UKJag Wrote: If Pit loses to Pats I just don't see them losing to either the Texans or Browns. Pats have Bills and Jets both at Foxboro, so I can't see them dropping another game.

For me, if the Pats win Sunday and both teams win their week 16 games then we rest those that are injured because I don't see the Steelers losing against the Browns in Pittsburgh or the Jets beating the Pats at Foxboro. Even rest #5 who has been on the injury report all year with his wrist and infact anyone carrying even the slightest niggle doesn't play.

If Pit wins Sunday, every game is play the strongest lineup to lock up the 2 seed and they'll get their rest in the bye.

Yeah but if the 2 seed is in question at 1 pm on Sunday 12/31 before the result of the Pitt or NE games is known, you'd still rest your guys and concede the 2 seed?

I can't imagine Coughlin and Marrone would be thinking that.  I don't care who they're playing.

The Pats beat the Jets by 7 earlier in the year. The Steelers beat the Browns by 3 earlier in the year. One fluke play could have changed those results. I'd take my chances in week 17 if everything lines up.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2017, 01:27 PM by UKJag.)

(12-14-2017, 01:03 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(12-14-2017, 08:14 AM)UKJag Wrote: If Pit loses to Pats I just don't see them losing to either the Texans or Browns. Pats have Bills and Jets both at Foxboro, so I can't see them dropping another game.

Yeah but if the 2 seed is in question at 1 pm on Sunday 12/31 before the result of the Pitt or NE games is known, you'd still rest your guys and concede the 2 seed?

I can't imagine Coughlin and Marrone would be thinking that.  I don't care who they're playing.

The Pats beat the Jets by 7 earlier in the year.  The Steelers beat the Browns by 3 earlier in the year.  One fluke play could have changed those results.  I'd take my chances in week 17 if everything lines up.

Per my bold above we go full strength only entering that game in the #2 seed. If not I think we rest guys to get the ready for the most likely senario of playing the wildcard round

The Pats beat the Jets by 7 earlier in the year.  The Steelers beat the Browns by 3 earlier in the year.  One fluke play could have changed those results.  I'd take my chances in week 17 if everything lines up.
One has to wonder if Josh Gordon could have made a difference in that game.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

I don't think I would rest them completely. I see that sometimes backfiring. I would play it like a preseason game. Let them get the a few possessions in to keep the way they prepare the same and then rest them the rest. But I don't like resting completely because I believe it throws them off.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2017, 03:27 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(12-14-2017, 01:25 PM)UKJag Wrote: Per my bold above we go full strength only entering that game in the #2 seed. If not I think we rest guys to get the ready for the most likely senario of playing the wildcard round

I didn't miss your bolded statement initially.  Let me clarify:  If we go into week 17 at 11-4 and either the Pats or Steelers or both of them enter the week at 12-3, the 2 seed is still very much in question (if they're both 12-3, technically the 1 seed is potentially in question) if one or both of them loses and we win.  In that scenario where all 3 of our games start at 1 pm, you'd still sit guys and concede the 2 seed (maybe even the 1 seed)?  I'm not sure I've ever seen a team concede a bye by resting players when the seeding was still in question in week 17 regardless of who the opponents were.  In fact, if they're both 12-3 and we're 11-4 I can almost guarantee you we aren't resting anyone.

I get that you're just reiterating that you would sit them, but I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page scenario wise because I find the idea of a coach sitting players in week 17 under those circumstances incredulous.

In a meaningless game yes, def the ones with injuries
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>