Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
New Member/Blake Bortles

(12-13-2017, 04:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-13-2017, 04:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Saying he didn't have a good game against the steelers is a bit misleading.  They just didn't let him throw the ball in that one. He only threw 14 passes.
I guess it could be misleading but it's almost as though he didn't even play in that game lol

Don't sell Blake short...  He handed the ball off great in that game.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2017, 09:13 PM by temporaryname.)

(12-13-2017, 05:07 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote:
(12-13-2017, 04:18 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Also, interesting coincidence that Manning gets benched a couple of weeks ago and all kinds of talk about him coming here next year and Blake plays at a higher level since then.  I know it's a very small sample size of games, but most here have long believed that Henne doesn't provide any sort of threat to the starting job and doesn't give Blake any sort of push that a lot of people need to get the most out of themselves.  If they decide to roll with Blake next year on the option, I think they will still draft a QB high as they should.  If Blake holds on to the job, nothing prevents us from trading that QB draftee a couple of years down the road for another high pick or picks as long as he isn't a head case.

If this whole time Bortles was actually good enough to fight off someone like Eli Manning and just didn't give a [BLEEP] until he was forced to prove it, I hate him lol.. I know that's not the actual case but it's pretty funny how out of nowhere Bortles could throw tight spirals and beaitiful rainbow TD passes like last weak all of a sudden.

Having a clean pocket to throw from helped immensely. In the games where he has struggled, he's usually been fighting for his life as soon as the ball was snapped, as the other team's defense was in the backfield before he had a chance to checkdown his receivers. Not many QB's are successful in that scenario.
[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

If he continues to play well, his $19 mil option will be a bargain

(12-13-2017, 05:02 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: 100% Bortles will be the starting QB week 1 next year. No matter how the rest of the year pans out. This will be a guarantee.

Edit: In no way was I ok with this move, but he's easily in the top 15/20 QB spots for the league so in all honesty unless you're gonna get someone that's a top 5 QB each year like Brady/Brees/Rogers, it's not gonna do much for the team.

Pretty much this.  ^^^

I just don't see a real scenario where they would outright cut him.  I could perhaps see a trade scenario if it wasn't too far fetched, but his trade price tag is going to be much more than what we got for Blaine Gabbert.  I don't see any team willing to part with top 3 picks for him.  (Okay maybe a 3rd and a late pick).

My gut feeling is that Bortles is signed to a new contract that is going to be "middle-of-the-road" for free agent QB's.  My first thought is that Chad Henne would be cut and another league backup might be signed to a low deal, but on second thought, I could see the team possibly giving him another 2 year/ $8 million contract to be the backup as they did at the beginning of the 2016 season.  He's a veteran and has been a mentor for Blake and has been cheap "insurance" should Blake be injured.

The team will probably draft another QB to develop, but I don't see it in the early rounds, especially where the Jaguars will be picking this next off-season.  I would be shocked if they traded up for a QB to be quite honest.

As far as free agency, I just don't see the team going after any of the high priced QB's projected.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi. I lived in Columbia for a little bit, cool place to live.

Blake is an interesting Qb, I think we bring him back, and I hope we restructure him. I still think we draft a QB in round 1 or 2 and put Blake on a stop gap contract for an average starting QB in the NFL. There was a thread on here earlier discussing his value and I saw no way we'd pay him 17.5 a year, but now I think this team will be content doing so on a new 3-4 year/50-70 million deal. I still think you don't resign guys to anything close to that unless you know you have "the guy", but we are going to be drafting late in the 1st or 2nd, so having a guy here who can start while your young QB gets accustomed to the NFL is a good thing. Plus your QB2 is going to be much cheaper than Henne.

If Bortles can do what he did the last 2 weeks the rest of the season, and continue to improve, there is no reason not to be excited for his return in 2018 and beyond.

There's no way the Jags draft a QB in the first two rounds. In fact, I think Bortles gets 5 years 110mil at the minimum. 5 years 130mil is likely the number after we win the Super Bowl.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(12-13-2017, 02:56 PM)SodaCityJag14 Wrote: What up Duval!? I'm a new member from Columbia, SC and a long time Jaguars and SC Gamecocks fan which has been a life time struggle. Literally no other Jags fans in my neck of the woods, and games are only available via Sunday Ticket in my area, so I get zero educated opinion on anything related to the team. Was wondering what you all think about Blake Bortles in the future? I know his 5th year option was exercised in the off-season. If he continues to play this well, what should the Jags do with him and in the draft? Would multiple playoff wins this season change your perspective on him?

I am certain this has been discussed in detail here, but again I am new and I am happy to have a place to discuss the team now. Finally having a bunch of fun with this team and hopeful for a run in the playoffs.

Welcome aboard, from across the pond!

I'm a fan of Blake Bortles.. so I'm really pleased with his recent upturn. I this we keep him and, as others have said, get a "middle of the road" Vet QB to challenge him... OR.. draft a QB.

I don't want to go for one of the big names in FA, I don't want to have to part ways with any other member of the roster, apart from Chad Henne.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

My tuppence (British version of six cents) worth on this is keep 5 and draft a QB to back him up.

(12-13-2017, 03:31 PM)Brett Wrote: Welcome aboard!

Just want to give you an advanced warning. We have a member on here named "JaguarsWoman" and her posts will give you migraines. So keep a bottle of Tylenol nearby when you browse the forums.

That troll finally got the banhammer.

BB5 will not play here next year on the 5h year number, they'll extend him or cut him and sign a vet starter; either way they draft a new guy early IMO.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-14-2017, 08:36 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Just want to give you an advanced warning. We have a member on here named "JaguarsWoman" and her posts will give you migraines. So keep a bottle of Tylenol nearby when you browse the forums.

That troll finally got the banhammer.

BB5 will not play here next year on the 5h year number, they'll extend him or cut him and sign a vet starter; either way they draft a new guy early IMO.

Wait...she DID?  When did I miss that?

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Awesome insight by all. I appreciate it very much!

We do?  You sure about that?
To the OP, welcome aboard.  It's always good to have new voices pop up here, even if they are putting trust in a guy like Muschamp.  Banana

Regarding Bortles, I have been of the mindset that there was little he could do to revive his career here in Jacksonville based on how inconsistently he has played over the years.  He has me second guessing that mindset with his sudden change.  It really does appear that the light has finally come on for Bortles, and that means the team might have a difficult decision to make once the dust settles on 2017.  If he continues to play the way he is right now, and the team makes a nice playoff run, I think he gets year 5.  I still think the team drafts a QB in the early rounds next year, but with every good performance he gives, the pressure eases a bit on that.  Nothing would be better for this team than for Bortles to finally turn the corner for good and become the guy here in Jacksonville.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2017, 10:37 AM by SodaCityJag14.)

(12-14-2017, 10:28 AM)FBT Wrote:

We do?  You sure about that?
To the OP, welcome aboard.  It's always good to have new voices pop up here, even if they are putting trust in a guy like Muschamp.  Banana

Regarding Bortles, I have been of the mindset that there was little he could do to revive his career here in Jacksonville based on how inconsistently he has played over the years.  He has me second guessing that mindset with his sudden change.  It really does appear that the light has finally come on for Bortles, and that means the team might have a difficult decision to make once the dust settles on 2017.  If he continues to play the way he is right now, and the team makes a nice playoff run, I think he gets year 5.  I still think the team drafts a QB in the early rounds next year, but with every good performance he gives, the pressure eases a bit on that.  Nothing would be better for this team than for Bortles to finally turn the corner for good and become the guy here in Jacksonville.

Much like Bortles, the jury still out on Champ! I can tell you that is the first time arguably in our program history that we have recruited properly. Holtz and Spurrier not exactly burning up the pavement there. I like him and think that his blue collar mentality is what we need and is a good fit for us. Question will be whether or not we can steal some of these elite recruits from UGA and Clampson.

To me, Bortles is more than capable of being franchise QB when we keep him clean back there, and obviously when we dont need him throw 40 times in a game. Continue to build around him.

(12-13-2017, 02:56 PM)SodaCityJag14 Wrote: What up Duval!? I'm a new member from Columbia, SC and a long time Jaguars and SC Gamecocks fan which has been a life time struggle. Literally no other Jags fans in my neck of the woods, and games are only available via Sunday Ticket in my area, so I get zero educated opinion on anything related to the team. Was wondering what you all think about Blake Bortles in the future? I know his 5th year option was exercised in the off-season. If he continues to play this well, what should the Jags do with him and in the draft? Would multiple playoff wins this season change your perspective on him?

I am certain this has been discussed in detail here, but again I am new and I am happy to have a place to discuss the team now. Finally having a bunch of fun with this team and hopeful for a run in the playoffs.

Would you believe you aren't alone in being a Jaguars fan in Columbia,SC? Lifelong Jags fan here...moved up to Cola about a decade ago for a job after college. Still have my season tickets even with the distance and the years of sucking and whatnot. Now that there's two of us I guess it's time to start a Bold City Brigade chapter up here!

Welcome...honestly, I trust the front office with the decision.

I personally think he will be back next year and we will continue to see him improve with more time in this offense.

(01-03-2018, 11:11 PM)unfjagfan Wrote:

Would you believe you aren't alone in being a Jaguars fan in Columbia,SC? Lifelong Jags fan here...moved up to Cola about a decade ago for a job after college. Still have my season tickets even with the distance and the years of sucking and whatnot. Now that there's two of us I guess it's time to start a Bold City Brigade chapter up here!

Guess so! I would have bet money that I was the only one. Pretty cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(01-04-2018, 01:06 AM)SodaCityJag14 Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 11:11 PM)unfjagfan Wrote: Would you believe you aren't alone in being a Jaguars fan in Columbia,SC? Lifelong Jags fan here...moved up to Cola about a decade ago for a job after college. Still have my season tickets even with the distance and the years of sucking and whatnot. Now that there's two of us I guess it's time to start a Bold City Brigade chapter up here!

Guess so! I would have bet money that I was the only one. Pretty cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea I'll wear my Jags gear out and occasionally get someone who comes up and says there Jags fans...I've converted a few of my friends here into casual Jags fans. No one die hard like me though.

(12-14-2017, 09:20 AM)NCJag Wrote:
(12-14-2017, 08:36 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: That troll finally got the banhammer.

Wait...she DID?  When did I miss that?
How could you not miss that. When she's here, every other post in almost every thread is from her.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Blake has proven to us that when he has guys who will catch the damn ball consistently he can and will get into a rythm with them and tear defenses up.
Keep him and build around him.
Plus.
Blake is duval.
He is dilly dilly.
He is everything jaguar