Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Most Underrated/Overrated Video Games

We've all discussed our favorite video games, missions, and bad guys.

But in your opinion, which video games are the most underrated and overrated and why?

For me, the most underrated video game (s) are the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series.

If you are looking for graphics and action, it isn't the game for you.  But it's a great strategy game where your object is to unify ancient China.  You have several play options, including starting as a province ruler, or an advisor, or a general or ronin.  I have typically played as a ruler.  You have to build infrastructure, make sure there is enough food, keep the people content, forge alliances, recruit generals, stave off attack, attack and conquer other provinces, etc.

In my experience, the most overrated video game was the original Legend of Zelda.  It got a lot of fanfare when it was first released, and I played it, but I didn't get what all the hype was about.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm guessing it was about 1996.  Me and my buddy played Rot3K 4 all night long, while drinking A 12 pack of Dr. Pepper.
Such a great game.  

If we're going down the old RPG rabbit hole,  I loved the Shining Force games.

As for overrated,  I think the Assassins Creed games are kind of silly.   A lot of jumping around, falling back to the start, and then jumping around again.
s
;

;

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2017, 07:09 PM by imtheblkranger.)

Off the top of my head:

Overrated: God of War series. Never could get into them or see the whole appeal.

Underrated: Legend of Dragoon. In the hay-day of the Final Fantasy series, this is still one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

(12-22-2017, 07:05 PM)Norman Mushari Wrote: I'm guessing it was about 1996.  Me and my buddy played Rot3K 4 all night long, while drinking A 12 pack of Dr. Pepper.
Such a great game.  

If we're going down the old RPG rabbit hole,  I loved the Shining Force games.

As for overrated,  I think the Assassins Creed games are kind of silly.   A lot of jumping around, falling back to the start, and then jumping around again.

I can agree here. The first one was new and exciting, but they're all very repetitive and get boring fast.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Overrated: FIFA

Underrated: Mad Max.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(12-22-2017, 05:17 PM)Bullseye Wrote: We've all discussed our favorite video games, missions, and bad guys.

But in your opinion, which video games are the most underrated and overrated and why?

For me, the most underrated video game (s) are the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series.

If you are looking for graphics and action, it isn't the game for you.  But it's a great strategy game where your object is to unify ancient China.  You have several play options, including starting as a province ruler, or an advisor, or a general or ronin.  I have typically played as a ruler.  You have to build infrastructure, make sure there is enough food, keep the people content, forge alliances, recruit generals, stave off attack, attack and conquer other provinces, etc.

In my experience, the most overrated video game was the original Legend of Zelda.  It got a lot of fanfare when it was first released, and I played it, but I didn't get what all the hype was about.

I used to play the hell out RoTK2 back on SNES when I was a kid.  I even had 4 or 5 other kids in the neighborhood playing with me as other factions which got really fun.  I played 3 on PC solo after and haven't touched it since.  I tried firing up 3 which I still have the disk for on my current PC a while back but it's no longer compatible with current operating systems.  I noticed 13 or whatever number they're on now is available on steam and had considered downloading it I just don't like getting wrapped up in video games anymore and I know I'd get wrapped up in it.  Please comment on it if you've played or are currently playing it.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017, 11:04 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

Star Wars: Rebellion (I think it was called Supremacy in the UK) was a game I got a lot of mileage out of when I was younger that I don't believe is all that highly regarded now. It was a 2 player game where you either controlled the Rebel forces or the Empire. It wasn't very graphical, it was more board game-esqe (when a space battle happened, you could go into a 3D battle mode, but it wasn't all that impressive), but if you wanted to know what either side was up to you had to either scout out parts of the galaxy or use espionage for intel. You not only had to produce fighters, capital ships and ground forces, but you also had all of the major characters and some minor ones appear in the game as Heroes that could either command ships or be sent on missions. The object for the Empire was to find the Rebel HQ (which could be moved at the whim of the Rebel player) and destroy it. The object for the Rebels I believe was to capture the Imperial capital on Coruscant, the Emperor and Vader.

EDIT: Oh and as the Empire, you could build a Death Star or Death Stars at great cost and blow planets up which was awesome, but the galaxy didn't respond well to it (it would push neutral planets to side with the Rebels) so you'd have to have planets solidly under your control before attempting it. There have been other similar star wars games that have come out since, but they were significantly dumbed down and not nearly as good IMO.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2018, 11:47 AM by Caldrac.)

Overrated: Any Madden game that's come out post buying out the competition and NFL licensing rites. The Sega ESPN NFL 2K5 game is the single greatest football game that ever existed. It was way ahead of it's time and it put EA Sports on notice. It put them on notice so much that they went out and bought up the rites instead of allowing a friendly competition to go on for years to come. They've since ripped, borrowed or attempted to imitate it here and there while adding "new" features a few years down the road which were already relevant back in 2004 through this game.

Underrated: Final Fantasy Tactics. The story is great. The job system is great. The replay value even with the 32 bit Playstation graphics still make this game great. The soundtrack is great. The artwork is outstanding. The fact that Square Enix hasn't brought this back to the major platforms or expanded on the Ivalice universe (outside from Final Fantasy XII) is truly aggravating when they keep placing it on the small ports and handhelds which is geared towards a younger audience. Real Time Strategy games and Turn Based Strategy games are extremely underrated in general.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Underrated - Red Dead Redemption

Overrated - NFL2K series. Dreamcast was the only version I found to be as good or better than Madden. Mostly the gnashing of teeth from those who are anti-Madden/EA.

Driver 1 and 2 probably don't get their due. Their success probably played a heavy hand in the retooling of the GTA series and influencing the evolution of GTA3.

Stuntman was an interesting concept and had some fantastic moments, but it was infuriating in much the way the Grand Turismo series was at times by requiring technical perfection to complete. It would have been much more fun with a free play mode where you could practice the run without penalty.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018, 11:54 AM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Overrated:

Earthbound. A lot of people seem to really love this game, but I don't see the appeal. And I'm an avid RPG lover. Dragon Quest is one of my favorite series. I just don't get the appeal of Earthbound. The Rolling HP counter was neat I guess, but aside from that... I found the story a little childish, and the gameplay a little lacking.

Goldeneye 007: Probably the first decent Bond game, but not nearly as great as everyone says it is.

The Saint's Row games after the second one: Steelport was a pretty boring city, and while super powers were pretty cool in 4 --- it just felt like it was lacking something.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City: Okay, I played GTA Vice City after San Andreas and GTA4, so that may be a bit unfair. But I also played GTA3 after both of them, and still enjoyed it. The aiming problems were ridiculous. Vice City wasn't fun to drive around in. And the stupid RC Helicopter...

Underrated:

Chrono Cross: The game has an amazing soundtrack, and it's pretty fun. No, it didn't live up to Chrono Trigger. And there are WAY too many characters in it. But overall it's still a pretty good game, and shouldn't get the hate it does just for not being "Chrono Trigger"

The Suikoden Series: Back when Konami made games other than Metal Gear and Pachinko, they made this wondrous RPG series. It's actually well liked among those who've played it, but almost nobody has played it.

The Tales Series: People tend to only like Symphonia/Abyss. But most of the other games are really good too. Their stories might be a little lacking in some areas, but they're still a lot of fun.

Saint's Row 2 - A Saint's Row game that's as fun as any GTA game. The right amount of wacky, before the series became an over the top mess that tried too hard.

Harvest Moon: Really wish they still made these. Who knew a farming simulator could be so awesome?

(03-09-2018, 11:52 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Overrated:

Earthbound.  A lot of people seem to really love this game, but I don't see the appeal.  And I'm an avid RPG lover.  Dragon Quest is one of my favorite series.   I just don't get the appeal of Earthbound.  The Rolling HP counter was neat I guess, but aside from that... I found the story a little childish, and the gameplay a little lacking.

Goldeneye 007:  Probably the first decent Bond game, but not nearly as great as everyone says it is.

The Saint's Row games after the second one:  Steelport was a pretty boring city, and while super powers were pretty cool in 4 --- it just felt like it was lacking something.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City:  Okay, I played GTA Vice City after San Andreas and GTA4, so that may be a bit unfair.  But I also played GTA3 after both of them, and still enjoyed it.  The aiming problems were ridiculous.  Vice City wasn't fun to drive around in.  And the stupid RC Helicopter...

Underrated:

Chrono Cross:  The game has an amazing soundtrack, and it's pretty fun.  No, it didn't live up to Chrono Trigger.  And there are WAY too many characters in it.  But overall it's still a pretty good game, and shouldn't get the hate it does just for not being "Chrono Trigger"

The Suikoden Series:  Back when Konami made games other than Metal Gear and Pachinko, they made this wondrous RPG series.  It's actually well liked among those who've played it, but almost nobody has played it.

The Tales Series: People tend to only like Symphonia/Abyss.  But most of the other games are really good too.  Their stories might be a little lacking in some areas, but they're still a lot of fun.

Saint's Row 2 - A Saint's Row game that's as fun as any GTA game.  The right amount of wacky, before the series became an over the top mess that tried too hard.

Harvest Moon:  Really wish they still made these.  Who knew a farming simulator could be so awesome?

Chrono Cross is outstanding. I also still listen to the OST to that game at work sometimes. Squaresoft had a lot of good games come out that were overshadowed by the Final Fantasy series. Vagrant Story was awesome for it's time as well. Another great story and great concept. I loved the battle mechanics to it and the comic like strips and bubbles they used to illustrate the story.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-09-2018, 11:52 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City:  Okay, I played GTA Vice City after San Andreas and GTA4, so that may be a bit unfair.  But I also played GTA3 after both of them, and still enjoyed it.  The aiming problems were ridiculous.  Vice City wasn't fun to drive around in.  And the stupid RC Helicopter...

I'm a yuge GTA fan and have to agree.  The aiming mechanism and RC missions were maddening.

That game hung its hat on the fantastic 80s nostalgia, Scarface references, and Miami setting, which it nailed.  Also a leap forward with music/sound.

But yeah, as good as some elements were - to me its faults still defined it.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(03-09-2018, 11:52 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Overrated:

Earthbound.  A lot of people seem to really love this game, but I don't see the appeal.  And I'm an avid RPG lover.  Dragon Quest is one of my favorite series.   I just don't get the appeal of Earthbound.  The Rolling HP counter was neat I guess, but aside from that... I found the story a little childish, and the gameplay a little lacking.

Goldeneye 007:  Probably the first decent Bond game, but not nearly as great as everyone says it is.

The Saint's Row games after the second one:  Steelport was a pretty boring city, and while super powers were pretty cool in 4 --- it just felt like it was lacking something.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City:  Okay, I played GTA Vice City after San Andreas and GTA4, so that may be a bit unfair.  But I also played GTA3 after both of them, and still enjoyed it.  The aiming problems were ridiculous.  Vice City wasn't fun to drive around in.  And the stupid RC Helicopter...

Underrated:

Chrono Cross:  The game has an amazing soundtrack, and it's pretty fun.  No, it didn't live up to Chrono Trigger.  And there are WAY too many characters in it.  But overall it's still a pretty good game, and shouldn't get the hate it does just for not being "Chrono Trigger"

The Suikoden Series:  Back when Konami made games other than Metal Gear and Pachinko, they made this wondrous RPG series.  It's actually well liked among those who've played it, but almost nobody has played it.

The Tales Series: People tend to only like Symphonia/Abyss.  But most of the other games are really good too.  Their stories might be a little lacking in some areas, but they're still a lot of fun.

Saint's Row 2 - A Saint's Row game that's as fun as any GTA game.  The right amount of wacky, before the series became an over the top mess that tried too hard.

Harvest Moon:  Really wish they still made these.  Who knew a farming simulator could be so awesome?

Goldeneye as a game today is terrible. It's pretty funny. But the whole reason Goldeneye is so highly rated is because of what it did to change the landscape of shooters and multi player. Without Goleneye there is no Halo, without Halo there is no COD/Battlefield (in the manner we have them today) That's why I won't say Goleneye is overrated.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-28-2017, 10:59 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Star Wars: Rebellion (I think it was called Supremacy in the UK) was a game I got a lot of mileage out of when I was younger that I don't believe is all that highly regarded now.  It was a 2 player game where you either controlled the Rebel forces or the Empire.  It wasn't very graphical, it was more board game-esqe (when a space battle happened, you could go into a 3D battle mode, but it wasn't all that impressive), but if you wanted to know what either side was up to you had to either scout out parts of the galaxy or use espionage for intel.  You not only had to produce fighters, capital ships and ground forces, but you also had all of the major characters and some minor ones appear in the game as Heroes that could either command ships or be sent on missions.  The object for the Empire was to find the Rebel HQ (which could be moved at the whim of the Rebel player) and destroy it.  The object for the Rebels I believe was to capture the Imperial capital on Coruscant, the Emperor and Vader.

EDIT:  Oh and as the Empire, you could build a Death Star or Death Stars at great cost and blow planets up which was awesome, but the galaxy didn't respond well to it (it would push neutral planets to side with the Rebels) so you'd have to have planets solidly under your control before attempting it.  There have been other similar star wars games that have come out since, but they were significantly dumbed down and not nearly as good IMO.

I freaking love that game.  Apparently people were modding it for a while but it was kind of labor intensive on the computer.  

My underated game is the borderland series.  Game is a fun fps with funny elements.

overrated would be sports games in general
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Photo 

(03-08-2018, 01:05 PM)pirkster Wrote: Underrated - Red Dead Redemption
Considered an A game.  Considered the 3rd best ps3 game of all time.

avg score of 9.5 out of ten or 5 stars.
Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2018, 09:34 PM by Best84.)

Wouldn't consider Borderlands an underrated game seeing as it jump started the looter shooter genre we now have and imho is still the king of that genre esp. now after the Destiny 2 screw up.

(03-24-2018, 09:32 PM)realtorpat Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 01:05 PM)pirkster Wrote: Underrated - Red Dead Redemption
Considered an A game.  Considered the 3rd best ps3 game of all time.

avg score of 9.5 out of ten or 5 stars.

I think "forgotten" would be a better description, rather than underrated.

I think the hype for RDR2 reignited the love for RDR.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Rocket league. Is neither but i just like to mention it because i need more people to play with

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Go Jags!

If you guys are RPG fans then you are definitely going to want to check out Shadow Hearts, similar concept to Chrono or final fantasy. Completely overrated and overlooked in my opinion...

https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Hearts-Pla...B00005T7ZN
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(03-25-2018, 07:11 AM)Achilles Wrote: If you guys are RPG fans then you are definitely going to want to check out Shadow Hearts, similar concept to Chrono or final fantasy. Completely overrated and overlooked in my opinion...

if we're talking overlooked RPGs, then Lost Odyssey on 360 and the vastly underrated Super Mario RPG
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(03-25-2018, 07:54 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(03-25-2018, 07:11 AM)Achilles Wrote: If you guys are RPG fans then you are definitely going to want to check out Shadow Hearts, similar concept to Chrono or final fantasy. Completely overrated and overlooked in my opinion...

if we're talking overlooked RPGs, then Lost Odyssey on 360 and the vastly underrated Super Mario RPG

Possibly the greatest achievement in my video game career was getting the super suit after the 100 consecutive jumps. I love that game.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."