Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaylen Samuels - The SuperBack

(02-12-2018, 11:52 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 10:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I see him as a pass catching FB/H-Back type. He's certainly too short to be an every down TE, but as a pass catching FB, he's perfect.

Jaylen sized up pretty well at the Senior Bowl. Unlike a typical H-back, Samuels has running back skills. He can be a plow-horse and he does have exceptional agility as a ball carrier. 4.6 speed listing. He may run faster at the Combine. 

His clutch play-making skill is his selling point. If possible, you should take a look as how NC State featured him against Florida State's defense, which featured potential top ten first round prospect Kerwin James and 1st round fringe prospect Tarvarus McFadden.

Samuels is quite a football player.

I'm not saying he's a bad football player. Quite the opposite. I really like the guy. I just wouldn't use him as a pure TE. Like I said earlier, he reminds me a lot of Larry Centers. For those of you not old enough to know about him, he was one of the most prolific pass catching FB's in history. He had a 14 year NFL career and went to 3 Pro Bowls as well as being an All Pro in 1996. I mean this comparison as very high praise. I just think he's going to have to find his role in any offense he goes to. The kid is uber-talented though. He just needs a coach that will know how to utilize his talents.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 11:04 PM by knarnn.)

Is he not a Dan Vitale clone skill set/athletic wise?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/d...id=2555218

Personally I like him better as a RB than I do a TE or H-Back. He’d fit in nicely as a change of pace/3rd down RB with his receiving abilities. He would be that safety blanket Bortles needs.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(02-13-2018, 04:28 PM)knarnn Wrote: Is he not a Dan Vitale clone skill set/athletic wise?

Personally I like him better as a RB than I do a TE or H-Back. He’d fit in nicely as a change of pace/3rd down RB with his receiving abilities. He would be that safety blanket Bortles needs.

Won't test like that athletically and has a much more advanced skillset.  

He's not a TE in the inline sense but he can run the same routes move TEs do. He's essentially a running back who can run routes from the slot and does a lot of damage as a H-back or a wing player where he can move across the formation and get matchups Vs Lbs and safeties. 

Would be a very good fit with us.

(02-14-2018, 12:39 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 04:28 PM)knarnn Wrote: Is he not a Dan Vitale clone skill set/athletic wise?

Won't test like that athletically and has a much more advanced skillset.  

He's not a TE in the inline sense but he can run the same routes move TEs do. He's essentially a running back who can run routes from the slot and does a lot of damage as a H-back or a wing player where he can move across the formation and get matchups Vs Lbs and safeties. 

Would be a very good fit with us.

I tip my hat to Jaylen Samuels. He is really terrific player. I hope he flies at the Combine. Not saying he is a prototype of former Broncos/Ravens TE Shannon Sharpe, but I am saying that Samuels can take over a game when featured like Shannon did in his day.

I don't know what the long-term prognosis is with Leonard Fournette staying healthy. I speculate these chronic foot things relate to that spin move he makes. If the coaches can cut that out, Fournette will have a lot less stress in the foot area and he made totally heal up.

Leonard's Achilles foot, I suppose.

Every draft we see a guy like this... a Denard Robison or a Curtis Samuel... but do they ever truly amount to much? I haven't seen it lately.
'02

(02-14-2018, 01:57 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Every draft we see a guy like this... a Denard Robison or a Curtis Samuel... but do they ever truly amount to much? I haven't seen it lately.

Curtis Samuel has only played 1 year in a bad offense. 

DRob was an athlete moonlighting at QB and RB in college. 

Samuels has a legit skillset for the NFL, and one that is very valuable at this stage.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 01:50 AM by The_Franchise_QB.)

He looks the part to me. Looks like an upgraded beefy Danny Woodhead. A pure football player.

Looks like a Patriots type player. Very versatile.

(02-14-2018, 01:57 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Every draft we see a guy like this... a Denard Robison or a Curtis Samuel... but do they ever truly amount to much? I haven't seen it lately.

Many of the more credible amateur draft community members have him listed with arrows pointing up.

It isn't that big of a deal. Draft Jaylen Samuels and put him in the RB unit for drills with special details to cross-train with the WR corps in their drills. This isn't a real problem. Teams have done it in the past. In unit break-down he spends time with each unit.

Once the team gets some idea of his play-making ability and his clutch play begins to show, the OC can draw up a feature package with his name on it. 

His listed speed is 4.62 in the forty. 6' 0" and 223 Lbs. Same height as Leonard, 17 Lbs. lighter. Watch for him at the Combine. I'm hoping he can nail down a really fast time. There are a couple of videos at Draft Break Down to look at.  His tape versus FSU this past season isn't available to look at, but it should be an eye-opener.

He looks faster than 4.62. He has good acceleration with the football and good down-field vision. He knows how to work the slot. He catches the football in traffic and does really well staying low carrying the ball out of the backfield. He's built in a way that makes you believe he has inside power. That should not be a terrible problem relating to size and lower body tilt. He will need to be educated about pass protection responsibilities, but he is NOT a small fry who can't physically adapt to a variety of pass protections. 

If you like Telvin Smith as a linebacker, you'll like Jaylen Samuels as a running back.

He would probably be the sort of pass-catching RB New England seem to do so well with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(02-21-2018, 03:16 AM)Andy G Wrote: He would probably be the sort of pass-catching RB New England seem to do so well with.

I could see NE singing Corey Grant.  He could be deadly in NE and they would know how to use him.

(02-21-2018, 03:16 AM)Andy G Wrote: He would probably be the sort of pass-catching RB New England seem to do so well with.

The thing is he operates exceptionally well as a wide out and gives LBs fits operating out of the slot. 

Anybody remember former Giants/Vikings TE, Bob Tucker (1970-80)?

Tucker was a TE for Fran Tarkenton in both New York and Minnesota. He listed at a TE anyway, but his size was 6-3, 230 Lbs. 

The way NC State used Samuels reminds me a lot of the way that Tarkenton relied upon Bob Tucker in the short passing game.

Samuels had his weigh in today at the Combine. The results are as follows:

NOTE: All height/length measurements are given in terms of 8th of an inch. Seems dumb to me, but I guess football guys can't be bothered with the math of converting 4/8" to 1/2"

Height: 5' 11 4/8"
Weight: 225
Hand Width: 9 2/8"
Arm Length: 31 3/8"
Wingspan: 76"

Is that about what y'all expected?
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(03-02-2018, 09:20 AM)Deacon Wrote: Samuels had his weigh in today at the Combine. The results are as follows:

NOTE: All height/length measurements are given in terms of 8th of an inch. Seems dumb to me, but I guess football guys can't be bothered with the math of converting 4/8" to 1/2"

Height: 5' 11 4/8"
Weight: 225
Hand Width: 9 2/8"
Arm Length: 31 3/8"
Wingspan: 76"

Is that about what y'all expected?

We must keep everything in 8ths and use some kind of chain device to measure distance on the field. It is written!. 

Yep seems grand. 

If I had to predict his combine I'd probably go 4.63 in the 40. 35" vert. 7.10 3 cone. Although really I don't think it matters for a guy like him.

4.64 in the 40.

That's all I was looking for from him

Ran a 4.55 on second attempt.

34" vertical

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2018, 07:58 PM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

Samuels is about as one might expect. the 34" vertical is what it is. The second 40 time bails him out. He might be able to get in the gym quick and tone up his lower body ahead of his pro day. Even an extra inch on his vertical will help him.

BTW, where do you all think he projects in the draft?

My thinking is late third to early fifth.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2018, 08:25 PM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

Also, want to throw Arizona State RB Kalen Ballage's name in the robo-back hat. Samuels is a few tickers slower than Ballage, who lit it up in the 40 today. Jalen projects to be a RB and not a sprint TE of sluggo WR. He demonstrates in game video that he is capable of the same style of play has Samuels.

AND if Leonard needs to tap out, or can't go...Ballage is a beast.

EDIT: Corrected Ballage's first name.

(03-03-2018, 07:57 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Samuels is about as one might expect. the 34" vertical is what it is. The second 40 time bails him out. He might be able to get in the gym quick and tone up his lower body ahead of his pro day. Even an extra inch on his vertical will help him.

BTW, where do you all think he projects in the draft?

My thinking is late third to early fifth.

34" vertical is good for him. Did well in the broad jump too. 

2nd/3rd.