Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market Under Trump

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2018, 08:02 AM by The Real Marty.)

Donald Trump in 2016:
"Believe me: We’re in a bubble right now. And the only thing that looks good is the stock market — but if you raise interest rates even a little bit, that’s going to come crashing down.  We are in a big, fat, ugly bubble. And we better be awfully careful.”
"I did like 50 stocks just for fun, because I'm not a person that really believes in it too much.  I wouldn't do it."

Donald Trump in 2017:
“DOW RISES 5000 POINTS ON THE YEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER — MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”

Those are exact quotes.  ^  I didn't make that up.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-31-2018, 10:58 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: up 200 points today.

Cleatwood disappeared like a fart in the wind.

(01-31-2018, 11:35 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 10:58 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: up 200 points today.

Cleatwood disappeared like a fart in the wind.
I can't fart. Biological issues.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Okay, here's my prediction: the booming economy plus the stimulus from the tax cut plus the tightening labor market will cause the Fed to raise interest rates and the stock market will correct by about 15-20%. Of course, the bond market will also correct. This will happen in the next 12 months.

These are historically low interest rates, and the fed will want to return to more normal interest rates. The stock market will correct as a result because of the link between asset values and interest rates.

Bank on it.

(02-02-2018, 08:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Okay, here's my prediction:  the booming economy plus the stimulus from the tax cut plus the tightening labor market will cause the Fed to raise interest rates and the stock market will correct by about 15-20%.  Of course, the bond market will also correct.   This will happen in the next 12 months.  

These are historically low interest rates, and the fed will want to return to more normal interest rates.   The stock market will correct as a result because of the link between asset values and interest rates.  

Bank on it.

Real estate already reinflated, so it pops, the school loan bubble bursts, and we get into a shooting war in the Pacific.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-02-2018, 08:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Okay, here's my prediction:  the booming economy plus the stimulus from the tax cut plus the tightening labor market will cause the Fed to raise interest rates and the stock market will correct by about 15-20%.  Of course, the bond market will also correct.   This will happen in the next 12 months.  

These are historically low interest rates, and the fed will want to return to more normal interest rates.   The stock market will correct as a result because of the link between asset values and interest rates.  

Bank on it.

I am more worried about inflation due to low unemployment numbers than rising interest rates.

(02-02-2018, 09:25 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

Bank on it.

I am more worried about inflation due to low unemployment numbers than rising interest rates.

That's one of the main reasons they will raise interest rates.   Tightening labor market is a harbinger of inflation.

So are they really saying the projected Q1 GDP is 5.4%?

That's just insane. Thanks Obama policies that took 9 years to kick in.

/sarcasm

Dang !!   I was all happy today being that it's Friday and I got an extra $150 in my paycheck then I took a look at the Dow which is down 490 right now Sad

(02-02-2018, 03:19 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Dang !!   I was all happy today being that it's Friday and I got an extra $150 in my paycheck then I took a look at the Dow which is down 490 right now Sad

For a guy with your networth, that is like a 10K hit!

Don't worry, it will recover.

I think the slide is starting, you can't take away the free money and expect the easy rise to continue. The funny thing is that the fed is doing the right thing raising interest rates to decrease inflation, but they are probably doing it for the wrong reasons.

We had this conversation a while ago about how the market was inflated and would come down. Just keep buying while it does. The numbers mean little if you play the long game.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(02-02-2018, 04:03 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: I think the slide is starting, you can't take away the free money and expect the easy rise to continue. The funny thing is that the fed is doing the right thing raising interest rates to decrease inflation, but they are probably doing it for the wrong reasons.

We had this conversation a while ago about how the market was inflated and would come down. Just keep buying while it does. The numbers mean little if you play the long game.

[Image: AridIllegalKoodoo-size_restricted.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I keep hearing Dems claim that economic gains by Trump are just a continuation of what Obama started, but that's just so not true. On every level, America's economic situation has vastly improved under Trump.

The stock market, in particular, is one area you can really see this. Over Obama's term, the market ever so slightly rose as it topped 17,000 on his way to about 18,000 where it remained for Obama's final two years aside from a couple 2000 point dips that it recovered from.  During the election campaigning it dropped a bit especially with expectations of Hillary winning, but then the day it was announced that Trump won, the rise began and it wouldn't stop for quite some time. Immediately it started going up topping 19,000 by Thanksgiving... topping 20,000 soon after Inauguration Day... 21,000 by March... and 26,000 by the time this thread was posted.
'02

(02-03-2018, 12:21 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I keep hearing Dems claim that economic gains by Trump are just a continuation of what Obama started, but that's just so not true. On every level, America's economic situation has vastly improved under Trump.

Are people actually saying this?

If true some of this country is more out of touch than I thought.  What is Obama's one big thing he did in his 8 years? Obama Care?  Obama phones?  I am not and never was a Trump supporter.  I don't vote Democrat or Republican.  I despise politics and what it has become but to say that Obama was a positive as a President doesn't work for me.  This country has deeper race issues than I can remember in my lifetime and that that did NOT start with Trump.

Obama might be a great man and I don't want to discount him as a person.  As a President I can't feel good about what he accomplished and the direction this country went under his tenure.  Obama was an awful Commander in Chief.

Trump has made me feel better about this direction is going in just his first year.  If you can look past the media and the drama they like to associate with him (yes he brings some of it to himself) what has he done in his first 365 days that is so bad?  This country is in a better place now than it ever was under Obama in my opinion.

The market is going to continue to drop if I had to guess.  The correction was going to happen and the market can't rise forever.  If people are patient this drop has potential to earn people a lot of money when it corrects back in the other direction.  When will that upward correction start again? It could be later this year, next year, I don't know but it will happen.  I hope it does drop further so I can buy low while I push money into my mutual funds and IRAs.  Patience is the factor and a lot of people don't have it.

(02-03-2018, 12:21 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I keep hearing Dems claim that economic gains by Trump are just a continuation of what Obama started, but that's just so not true. On every level, America's economic situation has vastly improved under Trump.

The stock market, in particular, is one area you can really see this. Over Obama's term, the market ever so slightly rose as it topped 17,000 on his way to about 18,000 where it remained for Obama's final two years aside from a couple 2000 point dips that it recovered from.  During the election campaigning it dropped a bit especially with expectations of Hillary winning, but then the day it was announced that Trump won, the rise began and it wouldn't stop for quite some time. Immediately it started going up topping 19,000 by Thanksgiving... topping 20,000 soon after Inauguration Day... 21,000 by March... and 26,000 by the time this thread was posted.

I just want to point out a factual error in your post.  "Over Obama's term, the market rose ever so slightly..."  In actuality, the market tripled during the Obama administration.

(02-03-2018, 07:33 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I just want to point out a factual error in your post.  "Over Obama's term, the market rose ever so slightly..."  In actuality, the market tripled during the Obama administration.

Depends on where you want to start and end. 

By the time of Trump's election it had gained about 30% over its' 2007 peak. Obama's first four years was just a recovery after the 2008 crash that would have happened no matter what. And the biggest rate of gain during Obama's term was after the 2016 election results were announced.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(02-03-2018, 07:56 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 07:33 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I just want to point out a factual error in your post.  "Over Obama's term, the market rose ever so slightly..."  In actuality, the market tripled during the Obama administration.

Depends on where you want to start and end. 

By the time of Trump's election it had gained about 30% over its' 2007 peak. Obama's first four years was just a recovery after the 2008 crash that would have happened no matter what. And the biggest rate of gain during Obama's term was after the 2016 election results were announced.

It might have been prevented if the democrats hadn't blocked Bush from trying to stop Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac from giving out loans to people with absolutely no way of paying them back.

But money and lobbyists won that battle... Just another example of the democrats failing us.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018, 08:20 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

In football terms, Obama pretty much did to the stock market what Jimmy Johnson did with the Cowboys ---- took a dying team, went 1-15 in year 1 and then won 2  super bowls. Obama bailed out the auto and banking industry (who paid everything in return) while Jimmy Johnson used a similar strategy utilizing Hershel Walker (trade) as their bailout.

Trump then came in and played the Barry Switzer role and led a team that was built to succeed to 1 super bowl victory and served a 4 year term.

(02-02-2018, 03:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 03:19 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Dang !!   I was all happy today being that it's Friday and I got an extra $150 in my paycheck then I took a look at the Dow which is down 490 right now Sad

For a guy with your networth, that is like a 10K hit!

Don't worry, it will recover.

Lol..... 

[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2018, 12:23 AM by TrivialPursuit.)

(02-03-2018, 08:19 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: In football terms, Obama pretty much did to the stock market what Jimmy Johnson did with the Cowboys ---- took a dying team, went 1-15 in year 1 and then won 2  super bowls. Obama bailed out the auto and banking industry (who paid everything in return) while Jimmy Johnson used a similar strategy utilizing Hershel Walker (trade) as their bailout.

Trump then came in and played the Barry Switzer role and led a team that was built to succeed to 1 super bowl victory and served a 4 year term.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Money don't make people smart.

EDIT: The grammatical error was just another layer of irony, btw.

EDIT 2: Seriously, man... how can you believe a moronic community organizer that put the worst people in positions of absolute power did anything to improve this economy. The TINY recovery that happened under his reign of terror (which as more evidence comes out it becomes more and more obvious this isn't hyperbole anymore) is a direct result of Americans being Americans and dragging us out of the darkness while Obama kicked and screamed and tried to impede the progress all the way. Now that someone who actually knows what he's doing is in power we are seeing triple anything Obama even dreamed of. Q1 2018 GDP 5.4%. Obama never sniffed 3%.