Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market Under Trump

(06-09-2020, 09:23 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 06:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The thing is you didn't buy it and don't hold it... unless it's in your 401k somehow.

Meanwhile I managed to pick some shares up of Boeing when it was down to around $130 (actually got some higher than that at $163 or so earlier).  It closed today at $230.50 per share.  I did sell some off on the climb up (500 shares), but after fees I made pretty much slightly less than 1/4 of my annual salary.  I still hold several shares with a cost basis of around $145 per share.

The difference is, my shares of Boeing are probably going to climb higher over the long term.  Carnival stock... not so much.  Boeing stock will pay a dividend.  Carnival stock... not so much.

There is a difference between investing and gambling.

I was actually thinking about you as I'm watching Boeing skyrocket.  I told my neighbor about Boeing at $120/share and he was very apprehensive stating they have no backorders --- the other day, he's like HOLY CRAP !!!  Anyway, i'm only profiting off of Boeing via 401k so in a way, that does help but not to the extent if you bought directly into Boeing shares.

The thing is, building passenger/commercial aircraft isn't the only thing that Boeing does.  Yes they are "dinged" a bit from their 737 Max fiasco, but they also earn a lot of money through government contracts (not only the U.S.).  Overall they are a very strong company and should do well going into the future.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-09-2020, 03:32 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 09:23 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I was actually thinking about you as I'm watching Boeing skyrocket.  I told my neighbor about Boeing at $120/share and he was very apprehensive stating they have no backorders --- the other day, he's like HOLY CRAP !!!  Anyway, i'm only profiting off of Boeing via 401k so in a way, that does help but not to the extent if you bought directly into Boeing shares.

The thing is, building passenger/commercial aircraft isn't the only thing that Boeing does.  Yes they are "dinged" a bit from their 737 Max fiasco, but they also earn a lot of money through government contracts (not only the U.S.).  Overall they are a very strong company and should do well going into the future.

Agree -- the KC-46 Defense Contract (15) helped booster momentum.  Also, given the fact that Boeing is one of the few Aircraft construction companies in the world sure does help.  Definitely part of USA's identity.

[Image: pd1y7.jpg]

Not really all that surprising.  Look for Q3 to start off big but gradually tail off a bit.  Once we get to September and have a clear picture of where the election is going we might see a move one way or the other.  Earnings and job reports are not going to be pretty, but I don't think that will influence the markets much.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2020, 09:02 AM by The Real Marty.)

Here is a graph of the stock market from January 1, 1928 to December 31, 1932.  Notice the 1929 crash was followed by a promising-looking recovery.  Then reality set in and the long slow grind downward until the bottom in 1932.  It looks like people were betting on a V-shaped recovery and then they finally realized it would be much worse than that.  

I just wonder at what point reality will set in for today's market.  And will we see the same type of action.  

[Image: n8Kg62I.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020, 10:47 PM by surfon.)

First the robinhooders have to lose all their money. Then we can see some reality. Kinda funny the dow is at about right now where this thread started 2 and half years ago.

And is that a chart of the dow from then. Imagine if they had index funds then and grandpa bought at 50 and now it's 26000. Yowza.

This market reminds me so much of the 2000 dot com bubble. Sorta kinda with all the amateur investors. I remember they had stock clubs for mom and pop investors popping up all over the place.

Just gonna bump this up for HURRICANE.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2020, 04:36 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I went a little conservative since the 6% drop in June but even moderate gains (in my portfolio) are a huge win because it keeps Corp America up and running so keeping our jobs during this pandemic is a huge win in the long run.   All I really wanted back in April was the money back that I lost during the crash -- didn't realize the V would happen so soon !!!

.[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47eafq09r5g2ikeiond4...=giphy.gif]

(08-10-2020, 04:25 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Just gonna bump this up for HURRICANE.

I'm sure his 401k is doing just fine as are millions of others.

I did make some good money on Boeing and Micro$oft though a took profits and kept a small position in each a while back.

How is that Carnival stock looking?

(08-12-2020, 04:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 04:25 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Just gonna bump this up for HURRICANE.

I'm sure his 401k is doing just fine as are millions of others.

I did make some good money on Boeing and Micro$oft though a took profits and kept a small position in each a while back.

Once that vaccine hits stocks like Carnival and Boeing will be on fire unless China develops another pandemic to release to the general public.

(08-14-2020, 08:46 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 04:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I'm sure his 401k is doing just fine as are millions of others.

Once that vaccine hits stocks like Carnival and Boeing will be on fire unless China develops another pandemic to release to the general public.

Dude, Biden & Kamala are going to fix the economy. We just have to wait until January 20th. Hang tight...

Dow turns positive for 2020, with S&P on pace for best August since ‘84

Stocks rallied to record highs Friday on stronger than expected economic data and with the race for the White House officially underway following President Trump's acceptance of the GOP nomination.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/us-s...qLgHkByMik
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

In the words of Joseph Dirt.

DAAAAANG

Dr. Tony tanking the market today.

Fangman correcting, ouch. 

NKLA looking nice.

(09-08-2020, 04:41 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Fangman correcting, ouch. 

NKLA looking nice.

The market never does this on the day my 401k contribution makes a transaction.

Alotta liquidity but things still looking flimsy.

(09-17-2020, 02:45 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Alotta liquidity but things still looking flimsy.

Global liquidity at ATH. Fangman and SP500 dipping.

Be careful gents.

(08-12-2020, 04:31 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I went a little conservative since the 6% drop in June but even moderate gains (in my portfolio) are a huge win because it keeps Corp America up and running so keeping our jobs during this pandemic is a huge win in the long run.   All I really wanted back in April was the money back that I lost during the crash -- didn't realize the V would happen so soon !!!

.[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47eafq09r5g2ikeiond4...=giphy.gif]

This is...mesmerizing.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Dow jumps 410 points as tech, financials pace stock gains

U.S. equity markets rallied Monday as investors were on the hunt for bargains after a fourth straight week of losses.

Energy and financials helped the S&P 500 lock in gains of over 1.6%.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/us-s...pt-28-2020
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!