Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market Under Trump

(02-06-2018, 07:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 12:01 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Are you a day trader? This is a good time to buy, just ride the wave. The correction was overdue, the economy is strong and there is no fundamental issue with our GDP being over 5% this quarter. I doubt this is the start of anything like 2008.

Remember you don't lose or make anything till you sell except dividends (which I always need if a stock is in my possession).

In 2011 I looked at a house for sale in Jax Beach. Decent part of the North end, house was in good shape, family was moving to NC. Priced at 185,000, we didn't get our offer in before it sold the next day.

Same house went on the market last Saturday, new paint, new tile floors throughout. No other changes. Priced at 359,000.

We dun blowed up the real estate bubble again to 2007 levels.

Solid 10% annual appreciation. Priced at 359 doesn't mean they will get it though.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Up 350 points so far today. I call my wife to let her know my suicide plans have been placed on hold; didn't really sense any relief or happiness on the other side of the phone. She must have been so happy that she was just at a loss for words

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018, 11:10 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

This is insanity. Each refresh, the market is jumping or falling by 100-150 points. Complete insanity.

My father always preached that real estate was a better investment than the market. Starting to believe him.

And just like that, in the red...

(02-06-2018, 09:40 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 07:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: In 2011 I looked at a house for sale in Jax Beach. Decent part of the North end, house was in good shape, family was moving to NC. Priced at 185,000, we didn't get our offer in before it sold the next day.

Same house went on the market last Saturday, new paint, new tile floors throughout. No other changes. Priced at 359,000.

Solid 10% annual appreciation. Priced at 359 doesn't mean they will get it though.

No, that house is not worth anything near that price. Doubling in "value" in 5 years is a simple indicator that we're creating the same environment as the last bubble, and this time the crash will be worse.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-06-2018, 11:09 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: This is insanity. Each refresh, the market is jumping or falling by 100-150 points. Complete insanity.

My father always preached that real estate was a better investment than the market. Starting to believe him.

To a certain extent.  After the boom our real estate in Sarasota and PVB took a huge hit ~2010 during the foreclosure era.  Luckily, we held on and they rebounded so from a macro perspective life is good.   I quickly came to realize the key to everything financial is keeping employed and looking at things from a 10-20 year perspective.

.... too many "get rich quick" wannabees out there to keep stability on a lot of investment concepts.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018, 01:15 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(02-06-2018, 07:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 12:01 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Are you a day trader? This is a good time to buy, just ride the wave. The correction was overdue, the economy is strong and there is no fundamental issue with our GDP being over 5% this quarter. I doubt this is the start of anything like 2008.

Remember you don't lose or make anything till you sell except dividends (which I always need if a stock is in my possession).

In 2011 I looked at a house for sale in Jax Beach. Decent part of the North end, house was in good shape, family was moving to NC. Priced at 185,000, we didn't get our offer in before it sold the next day.

Not quite, but I do of one guy who was in RE who is in medicine now. Refused to buy a house last summer when he matched to a 5 year residency. He swore up and down it was gonna crash again in a couple years. I see these projections of 2020, maybe they are right? Recessions are cyclical.

How about bitcoin now, how long before it really collapses? CC are banning their use to purchase them, banks are following. Cryptocurries is looking more and more like a ponzi scheme IMO.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(02-06-2018, 07:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: In 2011 I looked at a house for sale in Jax Beach. Decent part of the North end, house was in good shape, family was moving to NC. Priced at 185,000, we didn't get our offer in before it sold the next day.

2011 was at the bottom of the crash and those homes for sale were priced against a heavy foreclosure market.  You'll never see $200k again on that home unless a hurricane blows this place away and everyone has to start over and people just leave.

The next big crash that I'm forecasting is ~ 10 years away when all of the parents default on the college loans that they co-signed for the kids to attend out-of-state and/or private universities that are costing $50k per year.  A lot of parents today have the mentality that they'll do anything for their kids education and are overlooking great values in our Florida public universities that are very high quality and dirt cheap right now (~$20k/year).  Multiply that by 2 kids and instead of spending $400k it only costs $160k.  That's going to ultimately bite a lot of people in the [BLEEP] as they ultimately default on their loans.

Volatility is the "problem". Too many investors, including large pension funds, have been shorting volatility in search of a steady return; many have even been naked shorting volatility because under the Fed's policies since 2008, volatility has essentially disappeared from the markets. Now volatility has returned in a big way and everyone who shorted it is deep underwater. Shorting volatility was not just a one-time trade for these people, it was the backbone of their whole investing strategy, essentially an endless "free" source of return. Now it's no longer a return, no longer free, and may take the whole ship down.

up $473 ---- 4pm can't come fast enough

(02-06-2018, 04:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: up $473 ---- 4pm can't come fast enough

+567

(02-06-2018, 04:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: up $473 ---- 4pm can't come fast enough
You have inspired me, here are HR86 rules of stock:

1. You don't make, or lose money unless you sell. You aren't up anything till you process that order, and the cash clears 3 business days later. Don't buy into financial news hype, your stock is nothing but paper in a vault till you sell it.

2. Ride the wave, don't go under it. Assets are constantly changing value whether you see it or not, just because your house doesn't having a ticker tracking its value doesn't mean that value is constant. Following the tickers too close and you go crazy and do stupid things. Treat your stock more like houses. Buy things you like, hold them for many years and upgrade (reinvest dividends), and you will do well when its time to sell.

3. Only buy dividend paying stocks and reinvest the dividends. Just like a guy who has lots of 'potential' but never picks up the tab, a stock without dividends is a scrub. If they can't afford dividends, then why did they go out to eat (get on the exchange)? That stock just made its money on you investing. I don't want no scrub.

4. Only buy companies in things you understand. If you can't figure out if the business is doing well, or why you expect it to grow, don't buy it. Stick to what you do well, and as you learn more expand.

5. Ignore financial news, these guys are always there to sell you something or on something.

6. (more of a general life rule) Danish Clogs are NOT an investment. Even if Dragonfury claims they help him pick up Korean girls: A. hes lying, B. why would you believe a man in clogs anyway, do you ask clowns for advice on stocks or picking up girls? I rest my case.

Live by these rules, and you will prosper.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I'm by no means a professional investor, but what I look at as far as short term isn't day-to-day or even week-to-week indicators.  I look at two things.  Year to date and 52 week performance.  Most of my investments are long term investments (5 years or more) that will take a correction just fine.

As far as investing in cryptocurrency, I've had several people ask about it because it seems so hot and an easy way to make a quick profit.  My answer is to stay far away from it.  There is no real tangible value there.  There are some people making money on it but I would wager that there are far more people losing a lot of money on it.

The thing is, the stock market isn't a "quick get rich" thing.  That very rarely happens.  The stock market is a long term investment to get better returns on your savings than you would get putting money into a traditional bank savings or money market account.  It's not really a source of income for the "average" person.

Regarding real estate, that's a tough one but again, it's not a short term investment.  Part of the reason for the last bubble and crash was the fact that people were buying real estate with "cheap" loans and "flipping" houses in order to make a quick profit.  Just my opinion, in the majority of cases real estate as an investment isn't really going to pay off for at least 10 years at the minimum.  Yes there are people that make money in the shorter term, but in the grand scheme of things real estate should be looked at as a 10+ year investment.

As this all relates to this thread, the President isn't driving the stock market either up or down so much.  Sure policy coming out of the administration is certainly going to have some effect, but it isn't the sole driver.  What we have been seeing is itchy investors taking profits.  Expect a few up and a few down days over the next couple of weeks.  On down days perhaps buy more (if you have cash available) and in the meantime just sit back and watch as the "losses" that you might have took this past couple of trading days come back.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Why are you stressing about the daily ups and downs of the market?

(02-07-2018, 07:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Shouldn't the same question be asked to the people gloating about the 1150 drop on Monday?

(02-07-2018, 09:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 07:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Why are you stressing about the daily ups and downs of the market?

Shouldn't the same question be asked to the people gloating about the 1150 drop on Monday?

Well, I personally don't need to ask that question, because I already know the answer. 

I was genuinely curious as to why anyone would be stressed about day to day market movement.  I can only guess that he needed to sell his stocks tomorrow, or he had to show a lender his net worth as of the end of that particular day or something.  Or maybe he had a large bet with someone about where the market would end up on that day.  Who knows?  I'm curious.

(02-07-2018, 10:35 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 09:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Shouldn't the same question be asked to the people gloating about the 1150 drop on Monday?

Well, I personally don't need to ask that question, because I already know the answer. 

I was genuinely curious as to why anyone would be stressed about day to day market movement.  I can only guess that he needed to sell his stocks tomorrow, or he had to show a lender his net worth as of the end of that particular day or something.  Or maybe he had a large bet with someone about where the market would end up on that day.  Who knows?  I'm curious.

True. Depends on your situation and where you are in terms of retirement. If a persons well being is dictated by the recent fluctuation of the market, they should probably look into a new financial adviser.

(02-07-2018, 07:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

He started this thread because he wanted to brag about Trump because he thinks Trump is responsible for the stock market.

I thought that was clear?

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 11:36 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

(02-07-2018, 09:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 07:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Why are you stressing about the daily ups and downs of the market?

I think Marty is referring to worrying about needing to be up when the market closes, not the prick measuring political contest.

Edit: I see his reply, that is what he meant. I agree that I get the same vibe from some of Hurricanes post that he is paying attention to the ticker a little too closely.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 11:44 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-07-2018, 11:34 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 09:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Shouldn't the same question be asked to the people gloating about the 1150 drop on Monday?

I think Marty is referring to worrying about needing to be up when the market closes, not the prick measuring political contest.

Edit: I see his reply, that is what he meant. I agree that I get the same vibe from some of Hurricanes post that he is paying attention to the ticker a little too closely.

I actually pay attention closely because that's part of my daily fun .... checking the Dow and Zillow to monitor the fluctuations on our 401k and investment properties.  It's not every day that one can save $3.99 on a BOGO item at Publix but turn around and lose $15,000 on their net 401k balance.

... to me it's an escape from what I do (review & negotiate contracts) for 10 hours per day at work.   5 more decent years and I think we'll be free to rent out our primary home (in addition to our other homes) and travel --- there has to be more to life than my daily A1A-JTB-Gate Parkway life.   At least I hope Smile

..all is good