Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kirk Cousins - We should sign him to $27 million per year contract

(01-25-2018, 04:10 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: After next season, Bortles either becomes our guy or doesn’t. If he does, he’ll be the one asking for $27m, so really we’re talking about a significant difference in salary for only the 2018 season. 

If he doesn’t become our guy, we probably tinhorn our window.

There is the notion of resigning BB5 to a 2-3 year deal at less than 19 per, and maintain more roster flexibility all of the way around, instead of risking losing guys like Yannick, Myles, etc..  

Would you take Cousins with our current WRs and TE's (minus Arob) and whoever you draft 

vs.

BB5, ARob, maybe a Jarvis Landry....and whoever you draft?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-25-2018, 09:36 PM)nate Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 04:10 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: After next season, Bortles either becomes our guy or doesn’t. If he does, he’ll be the one asking for $27m, so really we’re talking about a significant difference in salary for only the 2018 season. 

There is the notion of resigning BB5 to a 2-3 year deal at less than 19 per, and maintain more roster flexibility all of the way around, instead of risking losing guys like Yannick, Myles, etc..  

Would you take Cousins with our current WRs and TE's (minus Arob) and whoever you draft 

vs.

Bortles would get more than the 15 mil/yr Glennon got last year...maybe significantly more. People who think we could give Bortles an extension at a heavy discount from 19 mil are just silly.

So you're looking at ~10 mil difference between Bortles and Cousins, maybe less if the 27 mil number for Cousins is true. That's not going to make much difference.

Cousins > Bortles + half of an Arob (16 mil WR franchise tag number). Not to mention that between rollover, cap rising, and vets we can cut we could easily make Cousins and Arob fit if that was our priority.

So Bortles + Hurns = 27Million

or
Cousins = 27 Million

Hard decision...

We can keep Hurns just let Lee walk.
No Fun

(01-25-2018, 09:36 PM)nate Wrote:

vs.

I’m not really sure why Bortles would accept an offer like that.

(01-28-2018, 02:14 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 09:36 PM)nate Wrote: There is the notion of resigning BB5 to a 2-3 year deal at less than 19 per, and maintain more roster flexibility all of the way around, instead of risking losing guys like Yannick, Myles, etc..  

vs.

I’m not really sure why Bortles would accept an offer like that.

He wouldn't. If you look at the starting salaries of starting QB's around the league who are on their second contract, there is no way he would accept less. This notion of signing Bortles for less than $19 million is unrealistic. Ryan Tannenhill, who is a very comparable QB, is making over $19 million per year and he signed his deal way back in 2015. Bortles will want more than that. That's why I say pick up the option for 2018, spend a high pick on a QB and re-evaluate the situation after the 2018 season.

I think Kirk Cousins is a solid upgrade. I would rather have Cousins at 27 than Blake at 19. He is a top 12 QB in my eyes. I think he will never be Rodgers or Brady, but he is certainly not Bortles or Mariota. He would be the best QB in the division, I think Luck is toast and Watson has tape out now, it will be interesting to see how Watson does. Can he keep up what he was doing pre-injury? If we somehow landed Cousins this team would be heavy favorites in the AFC. Land a nice dual threat TE in the draft, and a G... Look out! This team would be positioned(they pretty much are now) to make a title run. My only concern with Cousins is, in big moments he shrinks, he is not what I would call a clutch QB. I trust Tom and Dave will look at every aspect and choose the best option.

He'll be injured by week 6. No thanks

(01-28-2018, 11:40 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I think Kirk Cousins is a solid upgrade. I would rather have Cousins at 27 than Blake at 19. He is a top 12 QB in my eyes. I think he will never be Rodgers or Brady, but he is certainly not Bortles or Mariota. He would be the best QB in the division, I think Luck is toast and Watson has tape out now, it will be interesting to see how Watson does. Can he keep up what he was doing pre-injury? If we somehow landed Cousins this team would be heavy favorites in the AFC. Land a nice dual threat TE in the draft, and a G... Look out! This team would be positioned(they pretty much are now) to make a title run.  My only concern with Cousins is, in big moments he shrinks, he is not what I would call a clutch QB. I trust Tom and Dave will look at every aspect and choose the best option.

The picture you painted works with both Cousins and Smith. Heck, or any other QB who can throw the most simple of passes accurately.

(01-28-2018, 11:40 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I think Kirk Cousins is a solid upgrade. I would rather have Cousins at 27 than Blake at 19. He is a top 12 QB in my eyes. I think he will never be Rodgers or Brady, but he is certainly not Bortles or Mariota. He would be the best QB in the division, I think Luck is toast and Watson has tape out now, it will be interesting to see how Watson does. Can he keep up what he was doing pre-injury? If we somehow landed Cousins this team would be heavy favorites in the AFC. Land a nice dual threat TE in the draft, and a G... Look out! This team would be positioned(they pretty much are now) to make a title run.  My only concern with Cousins is, in big moments he shrinks, he is not what I would call a clutch QB. I trust Tom and Dave will look at every aspect and choose the best option.

Thats what i see everytime i watch redskins is Cousins making a bad throw in the key moments.
No Fun

(01-29-2018, 09:17 PM)nhiverson Wrote:

Thats what i see everytime i watch redskins is Cousins making a bad throw in the key moments.

Because we haven't had a QB do anything like that in recent memory.

Oh I know i am not one of the people that says Cousins is not an upgrade he definitely is I am just unsure on him and Smith in clutch like the Chiefs choked vs the tacks in the playoffs second half cant not blame Smith a little atleast and also they lose Kelce too though.
No Fun

Quote: “Is money a part of it? Sure. Is it the only thing? No,” Cousins said on PFT Live. “It is about winning, and that’s what I want more than anything, so I’m going to be willing to make sacrifices or do what has to be done to make sure I’m in the best possible position to win, and that’s what the focus is going to be.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-help-win/

Hello Jacksonville!
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(01-30-2018, 05:25 PM)knarnn Wrote:
Quote: “Is money a part of it? Sure. Is it the only thing? No,” Cousins said on PFT Live. “It is about winning, and that’s what I want more than anything, so I’m going to be willing to make sacrifices or do what has to be done to make sure I’m in the best possible position to win, and that’s what the focus is going to be.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-help-win/

Hello Jacksonville!

I thought so too, but if Bortles doesn't pass his physical this plan is DOA.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Yeah, everything is put on hold for 6 weeks and probably the whole year. I don't believe the FO was never planning on being bold and upgrading the team, I believe the plan all along was to pat themselves on the back for last year and keep status quo.

With Blake back for next year you are banking on two things happening.

1) He takes another step forward and becomes a legit franchise QB. We're talking improvement in TD% , INT% , becoming more accurate, better placement, and better all round execution. A big ask. And not by any means likely.

Or

2) That the front office goes after a legit startable QB in this years draft to replace Bortles if he isn't good enough. Or that they go all out in 2019 signing one in free agency or the draft.
Again, I have no reason to trust the front offices ability to identify QB talent. Not likely.

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2018, 07:14 PM by ATLjag.)

Carr recently signed for $25m per year, and Stafford signed for $27m per year (both 5 year deals). If the Jags want to go after Cousins, something in the $25-27m range is, unfortunately, a realistic rate for a good young QB.

On a side note, after looking at some of these latest QB signings, Blake looks like a bargain with a 1 year prove it $19m deal.

(01-30-2018, 07:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: With Blake back for next year you are banking on two things happening.

1) He takes another step forward and becomes a legit franchise QB. We're talking improvement in TD% , INT% , becoming more accurate, better placement, and better all round execution. A big ask. And not by any means likely.

Or

2) That the front office goes after a legit startable QB in this years draft to replace Bortles if he isn't good enough. Or that they go all out in 2019 signing one in free agency or the draft.
Again, I have no reason to trust the front offices ability to identify QB talent. Not likely.

Door #3 scares me a lot too. We go Bengals mode and get paralyzed by the fear of what happens if the next QB doesn't work out that we just sit on our hands with our version of Dalton for 3 more years and watch a super bowl window fly by.

(01-30-2018, 07:17 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 07:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: With Blake back for next year you are banking on two things happening.

Or

Door #3 scares me a lot too. We go Bengals mode and get paralyzed by the fear of what happens if the next QB doesn't work out that we just sit on our hands with our version of Dalton for 3 more years and watch a super bowl window fly by.

Jesus. 

If Bort just repeats 2017s performance do you think that could happen? Or do you think any big new contract would have to be the result of Blake improving a lot in 2018?  

I wouldn't put it past the front office to triple down on him.

(01-30-2018, 07:17 PM)Upper Wrote:

Or

To me, this is the worst possible scenario.