Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kirk Cousins - We should sign him to $27 million per year contract

(01-30-2018, 07:17 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 07:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: With Blake back for next year you are banking on two things happening.

1) He takes another step forward and becomes a legit franchise QB. We're talking improvement in TD% , INT% , becoming more accurate, better placement, and better all round execution. A big ask. And not by any means likely.

Or

2) That the front office goes after a legit startable QB in this years draft to replace Bortles if he isn't good enough. Or that they go all out in 2019 signing one in free agency or the draft.
Again, I have no reason to trust the front offices ability to identify QB talent. Not likely.

Door #3 scares me a lot too. We go Bengals mode and get paralyzed by the fear of what happens if the next QB doesn't work out that we just sit on our hands with our version of Dalton for 3 more years and watch a super bowl window fly by.

Oh please. Bortles just did what he did this season, with very little receiving options and 7 straight games with a different starting OL group.

Upgrade a Guard or two, give him an actual #1 WR for an entire season and a receiving TE who actually poses somewhat of a threat and see what he can do.

It starts at the top and Marvin Lewis was the HC long before Dalton got drafted there. They made the playoffs twice in an 8 year span before Dalton got there. They then went to the playoffs 5 straight times with Dalton as the QB. They lost every single game and I think that speaks far more on the HC, than the QB. Marvin Lewis has never won a playoff game as the HC, yet it's Dalton's fault that he's such a terrible playoff HC?

Dalton getting them to the playoffs in 5 straight years is a knock on him? Honestly? This team just went 10 straight years without making the playoffs and you're really trying to knock somebody who took his team to the playoffs in 5 straight seasons?

People are literally so spoiled with watching Rodgers, Brees and Brady it's pathetic. Stop acting like every QB needs to be a HoF QB to have any success. We just went through a decade of some of the best QB play we'll ever see and most of you think that's normal or something.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

@1010XLTyler
Saw Kirk Cousins on #SBLII radio row today. He walked past the @1010XL table and whispered “Duuuvaaal”

#Jaguars
9:50 PM · Jan 30, 2018
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Elway gonna break the bank on Cousins to try and cover his bad drafts.

(01-30-2018, 11:18 PM)knarnn Wrote: @1010XLTyler
Saw Kirk Cousins on #SBLII radio row today. He walked past the @1010XL table and whispered “Duuuvaaal”

#Jaguars
9:50 PM · Jan 30, 2018

The same guy posted later an apology and said it was fake news, lol.

(01-30-2018, 10:53 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 07:17 PM)Upper Wrote: Door #3 scares me a lot too. We go Bengals mode and get paralyzed by the fear of what happens if the next QB doesn't work out that we just sit on our hands with our version of Dalton for 3 more years and watch a super bowl window fly by.

Oh please. Bortles just did what he did this season, with very little receiving options and 7 straight games with a different starting OL group.

Upgrade a Guard or two, give him an actual #1 WR for an entire season and a receiving TE who actually poses somewhat of a threat and see what he can do.

It starts at the top and Marvin Lewis was the HC long before Dalton got drafted there. They made the playoffs twice in an 8 year span before Dalton got there. They then went to the playoffs 5 straight times with Dalton as the QB. They lost every single game and I think that speaks far more on the HC, than the QB. Marvin Lewis has never won a playoff game as the HC, yet it's Dalton's fault that he's such a terrible playoff HC?

Dalton getting them to the playoffs in 5 straight years is a knock on him? Honestly? This team just went 10 straight years without making the playoffs and you're really trying to knock somebody who took his team to the playoffs in 5 straight seasons?

People are literally so spoiled with watching Rodgers, Brees and Brady it's pathetic. Stop acting like every QB needs to be a HoF QB to have any success. We just went through a decade of some of the best QB play we'll ever see and most of you think that's normal or something.

As someone who lives in the Cincinnati area, Bengals fans realize Dalton is a average QB at best. These include some of my best friends. Many wanna throw McCarron out there and trade Andy and some wanna use a high round pick to start over (after they fix the OT positions.) I'd say the people here that actually support Andy as the starter is about 35-40%. The playoff appearances were largely due to the defense, but what difference does it make when you are known as a "one and done" team? That accomplishes nothing. If Andy Dalton were to hit the open market today, I'd want no part of the guy unless it was as a backup.

Except Dalton is older than Blake, and has never won a playoff game. Blake is better than Dalton, Blake fits this team better than Cousins and his yearly money grab.

(01-31-2018, 08:45 AM)Jags239 Wrote: Elway gonna break the bank on Cousins to try and cover his bad drafts.

Aren't the Broncos trying to trade Talib? Seems like their window is well on its way to closing, whats the draw to Denver if the money is relatively close? That defense has been slowly dismantled via free agency year after year. The Jets vastly overachieved last year and have very little talent on that offense and there's not much opportunity to add any in Free Agency this year. We're clearly the most attractive landing spot for him and it's not even close. The only real competition is Cleveland, but I think they would be better off drafting a cheaper, long term solution with their draft picks (which they will probably bungle)

(01-31-2018, 11:11 AM)JNev Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 08:45 AM)Jags239 Wrote: Elway gonna break the bank on Cousins to try and cover his bad drafts.

Aren't the Broncos trying to trade Talib? Seems like their window is well on its way to closing, whats the draw to Denver if the money is relatively close? That defense has been slowly dismantled via free agency year after year. The Jets vastly overachieved last year and have very little talent on that offense and there's not much opportunity to add any in Free Agency this year. We're clearly the most attractive landing spot for him and it's not even close. The only real competition is Cleveland, but I think they would be better off drafting a cheaper, long term solution with their draft picks (which they will probably bungle)

I agree with you. Whoever is the QB for the Jags next year is walking into a gold mine compared to the ones you mentioned. Really just my opinion that Elway is very overrated as a GM and will do whatever he can to cover some of that. Cousins is going to chase the money and rightfully should. Only thing I can see is if the Browns offer the most money and another team offers something very close but slightly less. I don't think Cousins is gonna want to deal with the Browns dysfunction after dealing with Washington's dysfunction unless he's paid something outrageous.

(01-31-2018, 11:56 AM)Jags239 Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 11:11 AM)JNev Wrote: Aren't the Broncos trying to trade Talib? Seems like their window is well on its way to closing, whats the draw to Denver if the money is relatively close? That defense has been slowly dismantled via free agency year after year. The Jets vastly overachieved last year and have very little talent on that offense and there's not much opportunity to add any in Free Agency this year. We're clearly the most attractive landing spot for him and it's not even close. The only real competition is Cleveland, but I think they would be better off drafting a cheaper, long term solution with their draft picks (which they will probably bungle)

I agree with you. Whoever is the QB for the Jags next year is walking into a gold mine compared to the ones you mentioned. Really just my opinion that Elway is very overrated as a GM and will do whatever he can to cover some of that. Cousins is going to chase the money and rightfully should. Only thing I can see is if the Browns offer the most money and another team offers something very close but slightly less. I don't think Cousins is gonna want to deal with the Browns dysfunction after dealing with Washington's dysfunction unless he's paid something outrageous.
If the Browns somehow end up with Saquon Barkley, that offense could be a real hit.

Gordon, Barkley, Coleman, Njoku and Duke Johnson. I kinda like that.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 12:16 PM by Bullseye.)

(01-31-2018, 11:58 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 11:56 AM)Jags239 Wrote: I agree with you. Whoever is the QB for the Jags next year is walking into a gold mine compared to the ones you mentioned. Really just my opinion that Elway is very overrated as a GM and will do whatever he can to cover some of that. Cousins is going to chase the money and rightfully should. Only thing I can see is if the Browns offer the most money and another team offers something very close but slightly less. I don't think Cousins is gonna want to deal with the Browns dysfunction after dealing with Washington's dysfunction unless he's paid something outrageous.
If the Browns somehow end up with Saquon Barkley, that offense could be a real hit.

Imagine then signing Cousins and adding Chubb to that D-Line, along with Barkley to their backfield.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-31-2018, 11:58 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 11:56 AM)Jags239 Wrote: I agree with you. Whoever is the QB for the Jags next year is walking into a gold mine compared to the ones you mentioned. Really just my opinion that Elway is very overrated as a GM and will do whatever he can to cover some of that. Cousins is going to chase the money and rightfully should. Only thing I can see is if the Browns offer the most money and another team offers something very close but slightly less. I don't think Cousins is gonna want to deal with the Browns dysfunction after dealing with Washington's dysfunction unless he's paid something outrageous.

But it's the Browns, so one will tear his ACL, another will retire to preach religion across the country with Glenn Coffee, Josh Gordon will get arrested again, and Cousins will gain 30lbs in the offseason.

(01-31-2018, 12:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 11:58 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: If the Browns somehow end up with Saquon Barkley, that offense could be a real hit.

Imagine then signing Cousins and adding Chubb to that D-Line, along with Barkley to their backfield.
Land Cousins. Draft Barkley #1. Best defensive prospect at 4.

(01-31-2018, 01:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 12:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Imagine then signing Cousins and adding Chubb to that D-Line, along with Barkley to their backfield.
Land Cousins. Draft Barkley #1. Best defensive prospect at 4.

They might actually win a game next year with that.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

It might happen.  The Jets, Bills, and Vikings also could be major players for Kirk Cousins. ( At least for the time being,  I'll take the Jaguars out of the equation because of today's report regarding Blake Bortles.  ) 

Yet, what jumps out for me is the Browns currently have around $111 million in salary cap space.   If the Browns want Cousins enough and Cousins is willing to sign with them if the money is right,  it will be difficult for another team to compete with the Browns financially for Cousins services.

(01-31-2018, 11:58 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: If the Browns somehow end up with Saquon Barkley, that offense could be a real hit.

Unfortunately they'd still have the worst HC and worst owner in the league. Paired with a bad GM now in Dorsey. You'd think with all the assets they'd have to become good but....

(01-30-2018, 07:17 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 07:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: With Blake back for next year you are banking on two things happening.

1) He takes another step forward and becomes a legit franchise QB. We're talking improvement in TD% , INT% , becoming more accurate, better placement, and better all round execution. A big ask. And not by any means likely.

Or

2) That the front office goes after a legit startable QB in this years draft to replace Bortles if he isn't good enough. Or that they go all out in 2019 signing one in free agency or the draft.
Again, I have no reason to trust the front offices ability to identify QB talent. Not likely.

Door #3 scares me a lot too. We go Bengals mode and get paralyzed by the fear of what happens if the next QB doesn't work out that we just sit on our hands with our version of Dalton for 3 more years and watch a super bowl window fly by.

That Bengals team looks like they have no idea what they are doing. I doubt we follow that path.
[Image: je8Z3fs.gif]

(01-31-2018, 01:33 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 12:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Imagine then signing Cousins and adding Chubb to that D-Line, along with Barkley to their backfield.

Unfortunately they'd still have the worst HC and worst owner in the league. Paired with a bad GM now in Dorsey. You'd think with all the assets they'd have to become good but....

One related x factor is will the Browns continue to be an organization with square pegs in round holes?   By that,  I'm referring will the owner, GM, and HC being on the same page?   I have my doubts especially because the GM didn't hire the HC,  who is coming off a 1-31 two season record.

(01-31-2018, 01:40 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 01:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: Unfortunately they'd still have the worst HC and worst owner in the league. Paired with a bad GM now in Dorsey. You'd think with all the assets they'd have to become good but....

One related x factor is will the Browns continue to be an organization with square pegs in round holes?   By that,  I'm referring will the owner, GM, and HC being on the same page?   I have my doubts especially because the GM didn't hire the HC,  who is coming off a 1-31 two season record.

I was thinking of this yesterday.

The right move for greater organizational stability would have been to fire Hue Jackson.

If they are to take a rookie QB in this draft, the last thing you want is for them to fire the coach after one season, then the rookie QB would have to learn a whole new system.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

They have Ogbah and Garrett on the edges, doubt they would draft Chubb.  They need some help in the secondary, maybe Fitzpatrick or if Joe Thomas retires I could see them trading back a few spots and taking Orlando Brown to protect Cousins blind side

(01-31-2018, 01:40 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 01:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: Unfortunately they'd still have the worst HC and worst owner in the league. Paired with a bad GM now in Dorsey. You'd think with all the assets they'd have to become good but....

The odds would say yes. Todd Haley is likely going to be interim head coach by mid season. Dorsey was fired by the chiefs for ruining their cap and being a poor drafter. Haslem remains the worst owner in the league and that kind of organisational toxicity is hard to overcome.