Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kirk Cousins - We should sign him to $27 million per year contract

(01-31-2018, 01:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 12:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Imagine then signing Cousins and adding Chubb to that D-Line, along with Barkley to their backfield.

They have Ogbah and Garrett on the edges, doubt they would draft Chubb.  They need some help in the secondary, maybe Fitzpatrick or if Joe Thomas retires I could see them trading back a few spots and taking Orlando Brown to protect Cousins blind side

I like Ogbah but would take Chubb over him.

Agree with secondary help and need for young blood at T.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 02:11 PM by Dockerill91.)

I can’t see us moving in from B.B. and wld be shocked if we did. The guy has just won 2 playoff games (yes he won the Pitts game) we can get him cheap.

We lost to the Pats due to bad coaching, no other reason. BB wasn’t the problem. He’s wasn’t another year.

(01-31-2018, 02:11 PM)Dockerill91 Wrote: I can’t see us moving in from B.B. and wld be shocked if we did. The guy has just won 2 playoff games (yes he won the Pitts game) we can get him cheap.

We lost to the Pats due to bad coaching, no other reason. BB wasn’t the problem. He’s earnt another year.

(01-31-2018, 01:33 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 12:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Imagine then signing Cousins and adding Chubb to that D-Line, along with Barkley to their backfield.

Unfortunately they'd still have the worst HC and worst owner in the league. Paired with a bad GM now in Dorsey. You'd think with all the assets they'd have to become good but....

The problem is its hard to lure top notch free agents to Cleveland. The Browns are literally the laughing stock of the NFL. They are restricted to the draft and haven't drafted all that well either. And the little homegrown talent they do hit on (Tashaun Gipson, TJ Ward among others) they allow them to walk in free agency. Its a never-ending cycle of bad team management.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(01-31-2018, 02:12 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 01:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: Unfortunately they'd still have the worst HC and worst owner in the league. Paired with a bad GM now in Dorsey. You'd think with all the assets they'd have to become good but....

The problem is its hard to lure top notch free agents to Cleveland. The Browns are literally the laughing stock of the NFL. They are restricted to the draft and haven't drafted all that well either. And the little homegrown talent they do hit on (Tashaun Gipson, TJ Ward among others) they allow them to walk in free agency. Its a never-ending cycle of bad team management.
Tbf Sashi was drafting pretty well and had added a ton of talent to the team, until they fired him. 

Maybe they just have too much assets to fail. Should be near impossible not to be above .500 in 2019/2020, but then again it's the browns.

(01-31-2018, 02:12 PM)knarnn Wrote: The problem is its hard to lure top notch free agents to Cleveland. The Browns are literally the laughing stock of the NFL. They are restricted to the draft and haven't drafted all that well either. And the little homegrown talent they do hit on (Tashaun Gipson, TJ Ward among others) they allow them to walk in free agency. Its a never-ending cycle of bad team management.

Sorry but that's what everyone said about the Jags for so long too. Money talks and if they're offering the most they will get top notch free agents. Like they just got Zeitler last year, who everyone here coveted so much.

(01-31-2018, 04:23 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 02:12 PM)knarnn Wrote: The problem is its hard to lure top notch free agents to Cleveland. The Browns are literally the laughing stock of the NFL. They are restricted to the draft and haven't drafted all that well either. And the little homegrown talent they do hit on (Tashaun Gipson, TJ Ward among others) they allow them to walk in free agency. Its a never-ending cycle of bad team management.

Sorry but that's what everyone said about the Jags for so long too. Money talks and if they're offering the most they will get top notch free agents. Like they just got Zeitler last year, who everyone here coveted so much.

I'd like to think the Jaguars are on a different level than the Browns. We have won more than 1 game in the past 2 years.

(01-31-2018, 04:25 PM)JNev Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 04:23 PM)Upper Wrote: Sorry but that's what everyone said about the Jags for so long too. Money talks and if they're offering the most they will get top notch free agents. Like they just got Zeitler last year, who everyone here coveted so much.

I'd like to think the Jaguars are on a different level than the Browns. We have won more than 1 game in the past 2 years.
We weren't on a different level than the Browns though. Who holds the record for most top 5 picks in a row? During that terrible 5 year stretch, they actually had a better or equal record to the Jags.

(01-31-2018, 04:27 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 04:25 PM)JNev Wrote: I'd like to think the Jaguars are on a different level than the Browns. We have won more than 1 game in the past 2 years.
We weren't on a different level than the Browns though. Who holds the record for most top 5 picks in a row? During that terrible 5 year stretch, they actually had a better or equal record to the Jags.

Well now they are averaging less than 1 win per year the past two years. We have never been that bad. I accept that we were very unattractive to Free Agents, and had to overpay, but we still never got the top guys because we were in such a bad shape roster-wise.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 04:34 PM by knarnn.)

(01-31-2018, 04:30 PM)JNev Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 04:27 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: We weren't on a different level than the Browns though. Who holds the record for most top 5 picks in a row? During that terrible 5 year stretch, they actually had a better or equal record to the Jags.

Well now they are averaging less than 1 win per year the past two years. We have never been that bad. I accept that we were very unattractive to Free Agents, and had to overpay, but we still never got the top guys because we were in such a bad shape roster-wise.

This. It’s the reason why we had to overpay for guys like Laurent Robinson and Clint Session. Average to below average starters who never finished their contracts. The stigma effects the players you target, the coaches you target, and puts you in a never ending loop. Khan deserves a bunch of credit changing the stigma surrounding the Jags. I’m not sure Haslam has what it takes to do the same to the Browns.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(01-31-2018, 02:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 01:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: They have Ogbah and Garrett on the edges, doubt they would draft Chubb.  They need some help in the secondary, maybe Fitzpatrick or if Joe Thomas retires I could see them trading back a few spots and taking Orlando Brown to protect Cousins blind side

I like Ogbah but would take Chubb over him.

Yeah, i guess if they go strictly BAP and don't care about need

Dang didn't realize Cousins is 29. Interesting
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

If bortles can't pass a physical by sometime in March, he's guaranteed the fifth year option of 19 million. I don't know the exact date, but the expected time for recovery is 3-5 weeks. The timing is interesting if nothing else.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(02-01-2018, 12:10 AM)Achilles Wrote: If bortles can't pass a physical by sometime in March, he's guaranteed the fifth year option of 19 million. I don't know the exact date, but the expected time for recovery is 3-5 weeks. The timing is interesting if nothing else.

Well, they did go all the way to the AFCCG.  That is an extra month of football most weren’t expecting.  So I wouldn’t really say the timing is suspect.

(01-31-2018, 06:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 02:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I like Ogbah but would take Chubb over him.

They're going to be a really popular team to play with on franchise mode in Madden next year. So much youth that has just underachieved and been injured.

I've heard a lot of talk that the Jaguars only need to cut Hurns, Ivory and Bortles and that will free up the money to sign Cousins. Although they may balance out the first year, what happens when they need to re-sign guys like Ramsay, Jack, Yannick and Fowler? These guys will command very big contracts before you know it. Signing a slightly better than average quarterback like Cousins to a crazy contract is not worth breaking up the defense sooner than necessary. I'd rather see what Bortles can do during the option year against a very tough schedule and also draft his backup and possible replacement in April. Rudolph and/or Jackson will be available in the first round and both can potentially be solid starters after a year or 2 of development. To me, this is the best route to go right now. Hopefully Caldwell will get this one right.

(02-01-2018, 09:30 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I've heard a lot of talk that the Jaguars only need to cut Hurns, Ivory and Bortles and that will free up the money to sign Cousins. Although they may balance out the first year, what happens when they need to re-sign guys like Ramsay, Jack, Yannick and Fowler? These guys will command very big contracts before you know it. Signing a slightly better than average quarterback like Cousins to a crazy contract is not worth breaking up the defense sooner than necessary. I'd rather see what Bortles can do during the option year against a very tough schedule and also draft his backup and possible replacement in April. Rudolph and/or Jackson will be available in the first round and both can potentially be solid starters after a year or 2 of development. To me, this is the best route to go right now. Hopefully Caldwell will get this one right.

You cut a combo of Chruch, Gipson, Campbell, Jackson, and Dareus (Parnell comes off the books in 2020).

That wouldn't need to happen for two more years anyways. Some of them may have declined where cutting them is the logical thing by then, or some are willing to restructure their deals.

The salary cap has been going up for the last four years, and they project it will rise 7-10 mil for 2018, who knows where it is by 2020.

Most of who would need to be cut are role players anyways. As long as they can keep the young core (they will), good drafting and smart FA signings can replace them.

(02-01-2018, 10:17 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 09:30 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I've heard a lot of talk that the Jaguars only need to cut Hurns, Ivory and Bortles and that will free up the money to sign Cousins. Although they may balance out the first year, what happens when they need to re-sign guys like Ramsay, Jack, Yannick and Fowler? These guys will command very big contracts before you know it. Signing a slightly better than average quarterback like Cousins to a crazy contract is not worth breaking up the defense sooner than necessary. I'd rather see what Bortles can do during the option year against a very tough schedule and also draft his backup and possible replacement in April. Rudolph and/or Jackson will be available in the first round and both can potentially be solid starters after a year or 2 of development. To me, this is the best route to go right now. Hopefully Caldwell will get this one right.

You cut a combo of Chruch, Gipson, Campbell, Jackson, and Dareus (Parnell comes off the books in 2020).

That wouldn't need to happen for two more years anyways. Some of them may have declined where cutting them is the logical thing by then, or some are willing to restructure their deals.

The salary cap has been going up for the last four years, and they project it will rise 7-10 mil for 2018, who knows where it is by 2020.

Most of who would need to be cut are role players anyways. As long as they can keep the young core (they will), good drafting and smart FA signings can replace them.

This is exactly what I Don't want to happen. Those are core players. We'd be sacrificing the defense to upgrade one offensive spot.

(02-02-2018, 12:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 10:17 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: You cut a combo of Chruch, Gipson, Campbell, Jackson, and Dareus (Parnell comes off the books in 2020).

This is exactly what I Don't want to happen. Those are core players. We'd be sacrificing the defense to upgrade one offensive spot.
My man. Players are going to get cut eventually. Campbell is old. Dareus really isn't worth his contract. Church is aging. As long as they continue drafting well, a lot of older players are going to be gone.

(01-31-2018, 06:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 02:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I like Ogbah but would take Chubb over him.

I agree they need a shut down CB, but would Fitzpatrick fit that bill?

He's a good guy to have, but a true shut down guy?  I don't think so.

As great as that program has been over the years, they have never produced a true shut down CB.

Heck, given how Cleveland is situated in the draft, they could actually do a hybrid BAP and need draft and still come out well, if they scout properly.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-02-2018, 10:11 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 12:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is exactly what I Don't want to happen. Those are core players. We'd be sacrificing the defense to upgrade one offensive spot.
My man. Players are going to get cut eventually. Campbell is old. Dareus really isn't worth his contract. Church is aging. As long as they continue drafting well, a lot of older players are going to be gone.

Eventually is the key word. Why speed up that process for core players? Campbell may be old, but he had the best season of his life. Dareus is worth his contract. Our run defense got exponentially better once he was signed. Church may be aging, but he had a very effective season as well. Until these players show they are slowing down on the field, it would be asinine to get rid of them. That's what teams like the Patriots do once they've reached "elite" status and have several championships under their belt. We haven't reached that level yet. We need those players to get to the top of the mountain. We're still drafting the BAP at positions of need. We haven't reached the level to start drafting for depth behind aging stars with big contracts.