Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kirk Cousins - We should sign him to $27 million per year contract

(02-08-2018, 05:09 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 04:00 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Cousins will get 32.5mil to 35 mil now. Are we still interested? I hope not.

Mixed bag really.  Can you imagine what Bortles will get for doing what a run, run, pass team asks him to do?  How will 27 Million per year feel for BB5?

I certainly hope we aren't stupid enough to give Cousins $30+ million per year or pay Bortles $27 million per. Either option is stupid.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So if the options are 20 M/yr for Bortles, 27 M/yr for Cousins, or a rookie, I am leaning towards Cousins. Reason being we have a championship defense right now and the window of opportunity for championship defenses are usually small. If Jags didn't have this type of defense I'd pick rookie. Look how long it took the Eagles to win a SB. When you have a chance... you probably should go for it.

Cousins and draft a rookie wouldnt be that crazy if they do go after him.
No Fun

(02-08-2018, 06:40 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: So if the options are 20 M/yr for Bortles, 27 M/yr for Cousins, or a rookie, I am leaning towards Cousins. Reason being we have a championship defense right now and the window of opportunity for championship defenses are usually small. If Jags didn't have this type of defense I'd pick rookie. Look how long it took the Eagles to win a SB. When you have a chance... you probably should go for it.

I take the option of keeping Bortles through the 2018 season and drafting a rookie in the first round of this draft. Maybe we have to trade up, but that's fine with me. We give Bortles immediate competition and most likely, we have a new starter in 2019. There is no way I sign Bortles long term and I certainly don't wanna spend $30+ million on Cousins. $27 million is not gonna get it done to sign Cousins. After what Jimmy G. got today, Cousins is gonna want more.

(02-08-2018, 11:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I take the option of keeping Bortles through the 2018 season and drafting a rookie in the first round of this draft. Maybe we have to trade up, but that's fine with me. We give Bortles immediate competition and most likely, we have a new starter in 2019. There is no way I sign Bortles long term and I certainly don't wanna spend $30+ million on Cousins. $27 million is not gonna get it done to sign Cousins. After what Jimmy G. got today, Cousins is gonna want more.

That means you're putting every egg into the Rudolph basket, cause we both know there ain't no way we are going to be able to trade up to top 5 to get Rosen or Mayfield. I know you are gaga love goggles over the moon on Rudolph but even you'd have to admit gambling a super bowl caliber window on any draftee no matter how much you love them is incredibly risky.

(02-09-2018, 12:49 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 11:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I take the option of keeping Bortles through the 2018 season and drafting a rookie in the first round of this draft. Maybe we have to trade up, but that's fine with me. We give Bortles immediate competition and most likely, we have a new starter in 2019. There is no way I sign Bortles long term and I certainly don't wanna spend $30+ million on Cousins. $27 million is not gonna get it done to sign Cousins. After what Jimmy G. got today, Cousins is gonna want more.

That means you're putting every egg into the Rudolph basket, cause we both know there ain't no way we are going to be able to trade up to top 5 to get Rosen or Mayfield. I know you are gaga love goggles over the moon on Rudolph but even you'd have to admit gambling a super bowl caliber window on any draftee no matter how much you love them is incredibly risky.
It's by far the riskiest move. I'd rather have Bortles or Cousins.

(02-09-2018, 02:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-09-2018, 12:49 PM)Upper Wrote: That means you're putting every egg into the Rudolph basket, cause we both know there ain't no way we are going to be able to trade up to top 5 to get Rosen or Mayfield. I know you are gaga love goggles over the moon on Rudolph but even you'd have to admit gambling a super bowl caliber window on any draftee no matter how much you love them is incredibly risky.
It's by far the riskiest move. I'd rather have Bortles or Cousins.

To me, keeping Bortles is like giving up and saying we're satisfied with being a playoff team, but we don't need a Superbowl. I just don't see Bortles ever improving enough to get us a championship. As for Cousins, he represents a huge risk as far as I see it. I don't think he's that much better than Blake, when the game is on the line and he has to come up big. Not only that, but at $30+ million a season, it would definitely mean selling off key parts of the defense in the very near future. If cousins doesn't get us over the hump, we completely miss our chance and the window of opportunity closes. If he does, we get a championship, but would very likely have to start completely over on defense in the near future, once we have to worry about staying under the cap. And we may end up back where we were 2-3 years ago. I wanna find a way to either get us over the hump without damaging our future or at least keeping the window of opportunity open as long as possible.

I could see signing Cousins, drafting TE and OG in the first two rounds, and grabbing a QB in round 3 like White or Lauletta.

(02-09-2018, 04:42 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: I could see signing Cousins, drafting TE and OG in the first two rounds, and grabbing a QB in round 3 like White or Lauletta.

Do this and then sign a TE (Burton or ASJ hopefully) also, because rookie TE are very rarely impact players right away, and I think it's the perfect offseason.

Obviously this includes tagging Arob at worst too.

(02-07-2018, 04:20 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 03:52 PM)FBT Wrote: Cousins is going to spark a bidding war. There are plenty of teams in worse shape at QB who have a lot more money available to outbid the Jags.  I don't see them pursuing him because it won't be worth the money required to land him.

Difference being I don't think Cousins is just going to pick the team with the highest bid. His price will be around 30 max. Browns can throw silly money around if they want but it wouldn't mean as much to a guy like Kirk. The difference will be in how teams structure the contracts.  Team with higher cap can front load more, even if the actual price isn't too different.

I can see it getting up there if multiple teams end up bidding for him. I'm hoping he ends up just coming to Jax and working out a deal without other teams chiming in. If that were the case then they'd be able to just beat out the Jimmy G contract with a 5-year, $140 mil contract which works out to $28 mill per.

With that said, you might have a point about him opting for a better contract structure over more money. 

Then again, if they end up in a bidding war and find his price keeps getting even higher like into the 30s... then I'd make a call to Drew Brees because at that rate they just might be able to easily beat out any Saints offer for Brees. ...and I'd definitely sign Brees over Cousins for the same money.

'02

I know Cousin's passing stats LOOK good, but they don't show the 14 fumbles he lost last season. He has averaged 12 fumbles a season for the past 3 years and he's choked every big Redskins game he's played in during that time. There's a reason the Redskins won't lock him up long term and there's a reason why Redskin fans are happy to see him go. If you thought Blake's 24 turnovers were crippling last year, just wait for Cousin's average of 29!

(02-22-2018, 07:07 AM)PVKnight Wrote: I know Cousin's passing stats LOOK good, but they don't show the 14 fumbles he lost last season. He has averaged 12 fumbles a season for the past 3 years and he's choked every big Redskins game he's played in during that time. There's a reason the Redskins won't lock him up long term and there's a reason why Redskin fans are happy to see him go. If you thought Blake's 24 turnovers were crippling last year, just wait for Cousin's average of 29!
Ummm Skins fans aren't happy to see him go. Some might be but I don't think most are. The Skins won't lock him up long term because they are a poorly run organization who botched the QB position for years.

(02-22-2018, 12:39 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 07:07 AM)PVKnight Wrote: I know Cousin's passing stats LOOK good, but they don't show the 14 fumbles he lost last season. He has averaged 12 fumbles a season for the past 3 years and he's choked every big Redskins game he's played in during that time. There's a reason the Redskins won't lock him up long term and there's a reason why Redskin fans are happy to see him go. If you thought Blake's 24 turnovers were crippling last year, just wait for Cousin's average of 29!
Ummm Skins fans aren't happy to see him go. Some might be but I don't think most are. The Skins won't lock him up long term because they are a poorly run organization who botched the QB position for years.

Actually most Skins fans don't think much of Kirk Cousins. In fact, they are happy he's gone. Because of the Giants game when New York had nothing to play for and Washington had everything to play for and he laid an egg. A big fat rotten egg.

(02-22-2018, 01:22 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 12:39 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Ummm Skins fans aren't happy to see him go. Some might be but I don't think most are. The Skins won't lock him up long term because they are a poorly run organization who botched the QB position for years.

Actually most Skins fans don't think much of Kirk Cousins. In fact, they are happy he's gone. Because of the Giants game when New York had nothing to play for and Washington had everything to play for and he laid an egg. A big fat rotten egg.
I live in DC and I can tell you first hand they're not happy.

They got rid of Kirk and traded/paid for a guy who is older and not an upgrade. The reason Kirk is gone is because he didn't want to be there. They botched the situation.

(02-10-2018, 02:59 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 04:20 PM)JackCity Wrote: Difference being I don't think Cousins is just going to pick the team with the highest bid. His price will be around 30 max. Browns can throw silly money around if they want but it wouldn't mean as much to a guy like Kirk. The difference will be in how teams structure the contracts.  Team with higher cap can front load more, even if the actual price isn't too different.

I can see it getting up there if multiple teams end up bidding for him. I'm hoping he ends up just coming to Jax and working out a deal without other teams chiming in. If that were the case then they'd be able to just beat out the Jimmy G contract with a 5-year, $140 mil contract which works out to $28 mill per.

With that said, you might have a point about him opting for a better contract structure over more money. 

Then again, if they end up in a bidding war and find his price keeps getting even higher like into the 30s... then I'd make a call to Drew Brees because at that rate they just might be able to easily beat out any Saints offer for Brees. ...and I'd definitely sign Brees over Cousins for the same money.

Bree’s isn’t going anywhere.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(02-09-2018, 12:49 PM)Upper Wrote:

Not nearly as risky as giving Cousins $30 million a year. If that doesn't work out, we've destroyed our cap and would likely lose some of our top defensive players, because we couldn't keep them. That's a HUGE risk. Even if he does work out, it would be short term, because eventually, we'd have to cut some high priced players. Doing nothing at all is worse as well. If Bortles doesn't work out, we have no one to fall back on. We're stuck. To me, drafting a QB now makes the most sense. It wouldn't cripple our cap and at worst, we'd be out one draft pick unless we decide to trade up. I'd even consider trading back a bit if Rosen and Mayfield are gone. Maybe we could drop down a few picks, add a selection or two and still get Rudolph.

(02-22-2018, 04:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-09-2018, 12:49 PM)Upper Wrote: That means you're putting every egg into the Rudolph basket, cause we both know there ain't no way we are going to be able to trade up to top 5 to get Rosen or Mayfield. I know you are gaga love goggles over the moon on Rudolph but even you'd have to admit gambling a super bowl caliber window on any draftee no matter how much you love them is incredibly risky.

Not nearly as risky as giving Cousins $30 million a year. If that doesn't work out, we've destroyed our cap and would likely lose some of our top defensive players, because we couldn't keep them. That's a HUGE risk. Even if he does work out, it would be short term, because eventually, we'd have to cut some high priced players. Doing nothing at all is worse as well. If Bortles doesn't work out, we have no one to fall back on. We're stuck. To me, drafting a QB now makes the most sense. It wouldn't cripple our cap and at worst, we'd be out one draft pick unless we decide to trade up. I'd even consider trading back a bit if Rosen and Mayfield are gone. Maybe we could drop down a few picks, add a selection or two and still get Rudolph.

I don’t think we’ll be keeping ALL the high priced guys past 2019 regardless of what we do. Certainly guys like Campbell, Church and Dareus will be much harder to justify at that point. 

Also, I think a lot of people (not necessarily you) are getting too emotionally invested in “Sacksonville” and having the #1 Defense. It’s great to have and certainly to watch, but you don’t need the #1 Defense to win a championship. If you told me we could have the #5 Defense and dramatically improve the offense by trimming a few key pieces from the defense - I’d take it in a heartbeat. 

I also feel like that’s the most likely scenario in the event the Jaguars win a Super Bowl.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018, 08:34 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-23-2018, 05:12 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 04:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Not nearly as risky as giving Cousins $30 million a year. If that doesn't work out, we've destroyed our cap and would likely lose some of our top defensive players, because we couldn't keep them. That's a HUGE risk. Even if he does work out, it would be short term, because eventually, we'd have to cut some high priced players. Doing nothing at all is worse as well. If Bortles doesn't work out, we have no one to fall back on. We're stuck. To me, drafting a QB now makes the most sense. It wouldn't cripple our cap and at worst, we'd be out one draft pick unless we decide to trade up. I'd even consider trading back a bit if Rosen and Mayfield are gone. Maybe we could drop down a few picks, add a selection or two and still get Rudolph.

I don’t think we’ll be keeping ALL the high priced guys past 2019 regardless of what we do. Certainly guys like Campbell, Church and Dareus will be much harder to justify at that point. 

Also, I think a lot of people (not necessarily you) are getting too emotionally invested in “Sacksonville” and having the #1 Defense. It’s great to have and certainly to watch, but you don’t need the #1 Defense to win a championship. If you told me we could have the #5 Defense and dramatically improve the offense by trimming a few key pieces from the defense - I’d take it in a heartbeat. 

I also feel like that’s the most likely scenario in the event the Jaguars win a Super Bowl.

The only player we really have to resign in 2019 is Fowler and some decent size contracts will be coming off the books. As you said the following year when we have to sign Ramsey, Jack, and Yannick some of the other big contracts will be coming off. They have managed the cap perfectly so far. I think John Idzik is the best in the business

(02-26-2018, 08:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-23-2018, 05:12 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I don’t think we’ll be keeping ALL the high priced guys past 2019 regardless of what we do. Certainly guys like Campbell, Church and Dareus will be much harder to justify at that point. 

The only player we really have to resign in 2019 is Fowler and some decent size contracts will be coming off the books.  As you said the following year when we have to sign Ramsey, Jack, and Yannick some of the other big contracts will be coming off.   They have managed the cap perfectly so far.  I think John Idzik is the best in the business

It doesn't really matter now that we are out of the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes. I can breathe a sigh of relief.

(02-09-2018, 04:46 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-09-2018, 04:42 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: I could see signing Cousins, drafting TE and OG in the first two rounds, and grabbing a QB in round 3 like White or Lauletta.

Do this and then sign a TE (Burton or ASJ hopefully) also, because rookie TE are very rarely impact players right away, and I think it's the perfect offseason.

Obviously this includes tagging Arob at worst too.
Yes! Sign Burton, tag/1 year prove it ARob, draft guard/tackle in first, draft Lauletta somewhere. Championship!
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt