Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
California teacher slams military

Seems to be a few kooks in this very thread that hold the same disdain for our military as that [BLEEP] clown does. Isn't that just great? Damn kooks.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-30-2018, 09:37 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Seems to be a few kooks in this very thread that hold the same disdain for our military as that [BLEEP] clown does. Isn't that just great? Damn kooks.

Same kooks who still think Obama is their president and have sent all of their 401(k) gains to the treasury department because they didn't want them.

(01-30-2018, 08:42 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 10:51 PM)TJBender Wrote: McDonald's recruiter: "Come work for us! We have lots of room for growth and upward mobility!"
Reality: Flipping burgers for $8/hr. until you get promoted to assistant manager and start flipping burgers for $9.50/hr.

Military recruiter: "Sign up! See the world! Great educational opportunities! Specialized training you can use when your two years are up!"
Reality: You're lying on the sand bleeding out through a gaping hole in your torso, and the last thing you hear is a band of ISIS fighters celebrating your death

The promises made by the recruiters aren't too different, really, and neither one is entirely honest, but one of those two recruiters knows that there are even odds your career ends with a bang, and the other one just wants a warm body working the microwave until Dollar General comes along to snap up those managerial skills for $9.60 an hour.

Hyperbole FTW!

BTW, did you know that the deaths per 100,00 for the military is lower than several blue collar occupations in America? And I would say that it's probably more dangerous to flip burgers on the Southside of Chicago than it is to do a 4 year hitch in the Air Force.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-30-2018, 10:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 08:42 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Hyperbole FTW!

BTW, did you know that the deaths per 100,00 for the military is lower than several blue collar occupations in America? And I would say that it's probably more dangerous to flip burgers on the Southside of Chicago than it is to do a 4 year hitch in the Air Force.

Anyone, regardless of specialty or branch of service, can be pulled from their assigned duties, from anywhere in the world, at any time, and sent to a combat zone to fight in a foxhole under direct orders from the president. Yep, that’s how it works.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2018, 12:11 PM by Jagwired.)

If you served you are entitled to whatever opinion you may have of the military. If you haven't served you should probably just keep your pie hole shut.

On the other hand you sure as hell wont see too many active members or vets commenting on what it's like to be a spineless, jelly fish of a man that teaches because they haven't been there.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(01-30-2018, 10:08 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 10:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: BTW, did you know that the deaths per 100,00 for the military is lower than several blue collar occupations in America? And I would say that it's probably more dangerous to flip burgers on the Southside of Chicago than it is to do a 4 year hitch in the Air Force.

Anyone, regardless of specialty or branch of service, can be pulled from their assigned duties, from anywhere in the world, at any time, and sent to a combat zone to fight in a foxhole under direct orders from the president. Yep, that’s how it works.

Yes, but that is still an incredibly rare occurrence, and if they're pulling desk jockeys for live fire duty then a draft probably won't be far behind and the point will be moot.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-30-2018, 10:18 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 10:08 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Anyone, regardless of specialty or branch of service, can be pulled from their assigned duties, from anywhere in the world, at any time, and sent to a combat zone to fight in a foxhole under direct orders from the president. Yep, that’s how it works.

Yes, but that is still an incredibly rare occurrence, and if they're pulling desk jockeys for live fire duty then a draft probably won't be far behind and the point will be moot.

I need to work on my sarcasm font. I was poking fun at the assertion of high schoolers who join the service automatically becoming bullet sponges. Surely TJ must know that those who go into combat made a clear decision to volunteer for combat arms specialties. Supply clerks, aircraft mechanics, and other support specialties don’t just somehow magically find themselves in foxholes.

(01-30-2018, 11:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 10:18 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yes, but that is still an incredibly rare occurrence, and if they're pulling desk jockeys for live fire duty then a draft probably won't be far behind and the point will be moot.

I need to work on my sarcasm font. I was poking fun at the assertion of high schoolers who join the service automatically becoming bullet sponges. Surely TJ must know that those who go into combat made a clear decision to volunteer for combat arms specialties. Supply clerks, aircraft mechanics, and other support specialties don’t just somehow magically find themselves in foxholes.

I don't think he knows that based on his misrepresentation of the entire topic.  Smile

Military-bashing California teacher pulled from classroom, city council duties pending investigation

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/30/mil...ation.html
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 10:57 PM by americus 2.0.)

(01-29-2018, 10:51 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 09:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: So recruiters...recruit? My diety, what a revelation.

McDonald's recruiter: "Come work for us! We have lots of room for growth and upward mobility!"
Reality: Flipping burgers for $8/hr. until you get promoted to assistant manager and start flipping burgers for $9.50/hr.

Military recruiter: "Sign up! See the world! Great educational opportunities! Specialized training you can use when your two years are up!"
Reality: You're lying on the sand bleeding out through a gaping hole in your torso, and the last thing you hear is a band of ISIS fighters celebrating your death

The promises made by the recruiters aren't too different, really, and neither one is entirely honest, but one of those two recruiters knows that there are even odds your career ends with a bang, and the other one just wants a warm body working the microwave until Dollar General comes along to snap up those managerial skills for $9.60 an hour.

Anyone at this point who joins any branch outside of the Coast Guard who doesn't know the reality of what they're getting into does not need to be in uniform. Period. Unless you've been living under a rock the past 15 years you know exactly what enlisting means. 

It's like the idiots who were shocked they were having to deploy. Um, we are at war folks. It's a post-9/11 world. Don't be so stupid.

(01-30-2018, 11:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 10:18 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yes, but that is still an incredibly rare occurrence, and if they're pulling desk jockeys for live fire duty then a draft probably won't be far behind and the point will be moot.

No, but they do find themselves to be under fire more often than a lot of people realize.

(01-31-2018, 10:55 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 10:51 PM)TJBender Wrote: McDonald's recruiter: "Come work for us! We have lots of room for growth and upward mobility!"

Anyone at this point who joins any branch outside of the Coast Guard who doesn't know the reality of what they're getting into does not need to be in uniform. Period. Unless you've been living under a rock the past 15 years you know exactly what enlisting means. 

It's like the idiots who were shocked they were having to deploy. Um, we are at war folks. It's a post-9/11 world. Don't be so stupid.

(01-30-2018, 11:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I need to work on my sarcasm font. I was poking fun at the assertion of high schoolers who join the service automatically becoming bullet sponges. Surely TJ must know that those who go into combat made a clear decision to volunteer for combat arms specialties. Supply clerks, aircraft mechanics, and other support specialties don’t just somehow magically find themselves in foxholes.

No, but they do find themselves to be under fire more often than a lot of people realize.

No, they really don't.

The Founders had their doubts about standing armies, and I tend to agree. The deployment of forces is rarely defensive in nature, therefore the reason for war must always be fabricated.

(02-01-2018, 12:21 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: The Founders had their doubts about standing armies, and I tend to agree.  The deployment of forces is rarely defensive in nature, therefore the reason for war must always be fabricated.

Always? Sooooo "no bad guys but us" is your stance?

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2018, 08:16 PM by americus 2.0.)

(01-31-2018, 11:40 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 10:55 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Anyone at this point who joins any branch outside of the Coast Guard who doesn't know the reality of what they're getting into does not need to be in uniform. Period. Unless you've been living under a rock the past 15 years you know exactly what enlisting means. 

No, they really don't.
If you say so.....but you're wrong.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2018, 07:51 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-01-2018, 12:21 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: The Founders had their doubts about standing armies, and I tend to agree.  The deployment of forces is rarely defensive in nature, therefore the reason for war must always be fabricated.

Not all of them had doubts about standing armies.   It was about half and half.  I know Hamilton and a lot of other people wanted a permanent professional army, while the people on the other side of the aisle were afraid of having a professional army.   There was quite a bit of debate about it. 

So, when you say, "the founders had their doubts about standing armies..." that is not entirely accurate.  Only some of them had doubts.  Others were strongly in favor.

And on the question of whether young people should join the military, I think a lot of young people benefit immensely from joining the military.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2018, 12:55 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(01-28-2018, 06:22 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/28/cal...video.html

This is absolutely UNBELIEVABLE! Wow! Do all California teachers teach this type of stuff??

Come on its California, I wouldn't be shocked if a teacher wearing only a rainbow sash and a 'build bridges' pin took a dump on a flag and called it art there. Hence why the arts are in chronic need of defunding. Any good art will be paid for on its own, none of it needs the governments endowments.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(02-02-2018, 12:53 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 06:22 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/28/cal...video.html

This is absolutely UNBELIEVABLE! Wow! Do all California teachers teach this type of stuff??

Come on its California, I wouldn't be shocked if a teacher wearing only a rainbow sash and a 'build bridges' pin took a dump on a flag and called it art there. Hence why the arts are in chronic need of defunding. Any good art will be paid for on its own, none of it needs the governments endowments.

Well there's a leap of logic broader than the gap from here to the moon. "One teacher hurt my feelings, so let's defund the arts entirely."

I'm as strongly pro-STEM education as anyone, but cutting the arts out of the educational process is how you get a neo-Soviet nation.

I think he's talking about that Tax Payer boondoogle known as The National Endowment for The Arts.....

No one is saying take the arts out of the educational system
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2018, 04:05 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(02-02-2018, 03:24 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 12:53 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Come on its California, I wouldn't be shocked if a teacher wearing only a rainbow sash and a 'build bridges' pin took a dump on a flag and called it art there. Hence why the arts are in chronic need of defunding. Any good art will be paid for on its own, none of it needs the governments endowments.

Well there's a leap of logic broader than the gap from here to the moon. "One teacher hurt my feelings, so let's defund the arts entirely."

I'm as strongly pro-STEM education as anyone, but cutting the arts out of the educational process is how you get a neo-Soviet nation.
The implication that a lack of art causes communism is pretty funny. Soviets had plenty of art, just like North Korea. It was all state sponsored too, all over the schools, everywhere you went: plays, television shows, paintings, pictures, museums. It teaches their history just how they want.

Never had an art teacher, and as someone whose parents are math teachers and is himself in a graduate program, I wouldn't describe myself as 'anti-education.' However, wasting resources for art no one would pay for (or even call art in most cases) is the epitome of stupidity. Funding the 'arts' should absolutely not be done.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.