Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This might be a good year to trade two first round picks to move up in the draft...

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2018, 03:55 PM by RicoTx.)

(01-29-2018, 03:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 03:31 PM)Rico Wrote: Aren't you contradicting yourself?  They picked Bortles...right?

Coughlin wasn't here when they did that.

So your basis is on one year.  Wow.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-29-2018, 03:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 02:12 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: You can proly stay at 29 and get Rudolph or Falk. Both would be upgrades

These qbs will not be flying off the board like everyone thinks.

You'd probably have to take Rudolph at #29, because I see no way he falls to our second round pick. Falk will probably be there in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round. People are souring on him and his "noodle" arm.

I’d be fine with Rudolph at 29. That’s actually perfect. You can still go oline, te and offensive skill poisitions 2nd through 5th rounds. I don’t think any of these guys have big arms outside of Allen and he is prolly Gabbert 2.0.

The game is different now. Teams aren’t pushing the ball down feild anymore. It’s more horizontal stuff, screens, crossers etc..  prime example is the pats. They really don’t push the ball they just kill you with short accurate passes all game. That’s why I’m big on Falk. Senior, 68% completion rate, won 28 games, 7.1 career ypa. I’m for all of that in the 3-4th round lol.

How bout no

If Denver takes a QB just trade our 7th to them for Chad Kelly. Super Bowl. I’ll see myself out now
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2018, 04:38 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-29-2018, 04:00 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 03:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You'd probably have to take Rudolph at #29, because I see no way he falls to our second round pick. Falk will probably be there in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round. People are souring on him and his "noodle" arm.

I’d be fine with Rudolph at 29. That’s actually perfect. You can still go oline, te and offensive skill poisitions 2nd through 5th rounds. I don’t think any of these guys have big arms outside of Allen and he is prolly Gabbert 2.0.

The game is different now. Teams aren’t pushing the ball down feild anymore. It’s more horizontal stuff, screens, crossers etc..  prime example is the pats. They really don’t push the ball they just kill you with short accurate passes all game. That’s why I’m big on Falk. Senior, 68% completion rate, won 28 games, 7.1 career ypa. I’m for all of that in the 3-4th round lol.

That would be the ideal, as far as I'm concerned.

(01-29-2018, 04:16 PM)Fred Jones-Brunell Wrote: If Denver takes a QB just trade our 7th to them for Chad Kelly. Super Bowl. I’ll see myself out now

I've read several articles that say the Broncos are set to make a huge offer to Kirk Cousins. So they probably won't be selecting a QB at #5.

(01-29-2018, 02:39 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 01:33 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: ...and select a quarterback. That's what the Texans did last year, and I'm sure they don't regret the loss of their first round pick this year. 

Normally I'm opposed to trading away first round picks. But this year might be an exception. Even if we spend big bucks on Cousins or Smith, I think having one of the better QBs in this draft would be a good insurance policy. 

Thoughts?

Nope. We've seen this before that one year where we thought all we were missing was a pair of stud edge rushers and we ended up having to pull street free agents to help make up for the rash of injuries we sustained along the offensive line. 

You especially don't want to surrender two first round selections for a rookie passer that gets a deal tied up along with Cousins or Smith's deal. That ultimately makes no sense at the end of the day. It would defeat the purpose of either move during this off season. 

If you move up into the top five to land a Quarterback. Who are you looking at? Because honestly none of these guys coming out of college instill enough confidence to where they should be starting right away. And that's a huge price to fork over for an "insurance" policy. 

Best bet is to sign Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins and retain Blake Bortles for one more year. Gamble on a QB later on without having to surrender your future for the next two seasons. We may not be able to retain all of the talent we have now on defense. You may want to replace Paul Posluszny sooner rather than later. We might not be able to keep Aaron Colvin. We could end up losing both Robinson and Lee at receiver. Marcedes Lewis could retire soon. You may want to think about the long term DE position when/if Campbell hits that old man wall in his career. 

Just too many variables right now to fork over two first round picks for not even a sure bet at QB in a rookie passer. If it was to pick up someone like Aaron Rodgers or Matthew Stafford. Go for it. They are a sure bet. But not on a rookie. Especially from this class where basically your top three prospects regressed in their final years of college football and didn't really play in any meaningful games.
I agree that we should not trade up; it would be giving up too much for an unknown commodity. However, if we do pick up either Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins, we'd only do so if we are cutting Blake. His $19 mil hit next year is too large (although technically feasible) if we want to go after Smith or Cousins and retain Robinson or Hurns. It would also limit our options for other FAs.

If we do sign Smith or Cousins, I think we would also take a developmental QB in the draft, probably in the 3rd round or later.

I would rather trade our late first round pick for Alex Smith. Smith is a big upgrade from Bortles and has atleast a few years left in the tank.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2018, 07:04 PM by The Real Marty.)

(01-29-2018, 01:33 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: ...and select a quarterback. That's what the Texans did last year, and I'm sure they don't regret the loss of their first round pick this year. 

Normally I'm opposed to trading away first round picks. But this year might be an exception. Even if we spend big bucks on Cousins or Smith, I think having one of the better QBs in this draft would be a good insurance policy. 

Thoughts?

Somebody's probably already said it but I have to say it.   It's the Derek Harvey mistake all over again.

Besides, from reading this thread, you guys can't even decide which QB to take.  That should tell you what a crap shoot you are buying into with TWO first round picks.

(01-29-2018, 02:43 PM)Dakota Wrote: It's NEVER a good time to trade 2 first round picks.

I usually agree and still do for the most part. We have to think longevity. Even though we are in win now mode because we're so close, we are going to have a hard time keeping everyone in a few years. But I wouldn't hate it if we went all in this draft and went after a QB. We're only a few pieces away!
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Don't people usually trade up (big moves) when their job is on the line? I don't see us making any rash moves.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(01-29-2018, 05:27 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I would rather trade our late first round pick for Alex Smith.  Smith is a big upgrade from Bortles and has atleast a few years left in the tank.

Agree 100%

I'd rather take my chances with either Bortles or Smith, and a 3rd of 4th round QB (like Lauletta) then give up an extra 1st on a draftee that likely won't help us next year. I do not want to throw a ton of money at Cousins.

Here's the problem....we are ready for a super bowl run right now. If we trade up for a rookie, he ain't taking us to the Super bowl. If we sit and pick BAD then we can plug and play right away without the patience of a QB.

I wouldn't trade up. We're gonna be heavy players in the QB sweep stakes during FA. We're gonna draft a TE or a Guard to start day 1.

We can still get a QB later.

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2018, 02:16 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-29-2018, 11:12 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Here's the problem....we are ready for a super bowl run right now. If we trade up for a rookie, he ain't taking us to the Super bowl. If we sit and pick BAD then we can plug and play right away without the patience of a QB.

I wouldn't trade up. We're gonna be heavy players in the QB sweep stakes during FA. We're gonna draft a TE or a Guard to start day 1.

We can still get a QB later.

No, but Ben Roethlisberger won one in his 2nd year and Carson Wentz has essentially led the Eagles to where they are in his second season, so the wait probably wouldn't be as long as people let on, (if we pick the right guy.) Not to mention we would be set up for at least, the next 5 years at a very cheap price.

A couple of desperate teams will reach for one of these average guys while the rest of their team remains a dumpster fire. Same story every year. Hopefully we just sit tight and get some need/value. This is really what we got Dave Caldwell for. For the first time we aren't sitting in the top 5 to draft whoever we want. Probably a blessing in disguise.
No pain, no gain.

(01-29-2018, 07:53 PM)BamboozledAgain Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 05:27 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I would rather trade our late first round pick for Alex Smith.  Smith is a big upgrade from Bortles and has atleast a few years left in the tank.

Agree 100%

The guy who just a few years ago went an entire season without throwing a touchdown to a wide receiver?

That guy is a "big upgrade?"

Rolleyes
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-30-2018, 08:16 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: A couple of desperate teams will reach for one of these average guys while the rest of their team remains a dumpster fire. Same story every year. Hopefully we just sit tight and get some need/value. This is really what we got Dave Caldwell for. For the first time we aren't sitting in the top 5 to draft whoever we want. Probably a blessing in disguise.

Right lol. For once we can sit back a let the other teams panic and trade for the wrong guy while we just sit down and take the next Aaron Rodgers or DeAndre Hopkins

To me, it's more risky to spend 25 to 30 million dollars on guys like Smith or Cousins, than to use two first round picks to grab a QB. Smith started the season hot, and collapsed. Same with the playoff game against the Titans. Bortles had the opposite trajectory. He played well in the playoffs.

Cousins - meh. For 25-30 million, you better be playing like Drew Brees. I just don't see that with Cousins.

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2018, 03:20 PM by Upper.)

(01-30-2018, 03:16 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: To me, it's more risky to spend 25 to 30 million dollars on guys like Smith or Cousins, than to use two first round picks to grab a QB. Smith started the season hot, and collapsed. Same with the playoff game against the Titans. Bortles had the opposite trajectory. He played well in the playoffs.

Cousins - meh. For 25-30 million, you better be playing like Drew Brees. I just don't see that with Cousins.

Except for ya know that first game against the Bills that we would have lost to if it was any other playoff team.

(01-30-2018, 03:16 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: To me, it's more risky to spend 25 to 30 million dollars on guys like Smith or Cousins, than to use two first round picks to grab a QB.  Smith started the season hot, and collapsed.  Same with the playoff game against the Titans.  Bortles had the opposite trajectory. He played well in the playoffs.  

Cousins - meh.  For 25-30 million, you better be playing like Drew Brees. I just don't see that with Cousins.

Agreed 110%.