Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This might be a good year to trade two first round picks to move up in the draft...

(02-01-2018, 10:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 10:31 PM)JackCity Wrote: It's from FBS QBs that have been drafted since 2012. With the 2017 class being all the QBs that should get drafted this year.  

They are comparison stats to provide context.

How do you know these are correct stats? They certainly don't look right from the games I watched. I mean, I could make up a bunch of stats and put them out there on the internet with no actual research behind them and some people might actually believe they are real. Until I see them on a reputable site that I recognize, I'll go by what my eyes and sites like ESPN tell me.

Draft analysts chart games and seasons for QBs every year. Isn't that hard to do just very time consuming. They literally do it for a living.  

So check ESPN and tell me A) How many times Rudolph threw to the right side on a short pass and B) What is completion % was on 3rd+4th down. 

The thing you have to realise is there are more measures of situational accuracy than just the % ESPN gives you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-01-2018, 11:43 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 10:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: How do you know these are correct stats? They certainly don't look right from the games I watched. I mean, I could make up a bunch of stats and put them out there on the internet with no actual research behind them and some people might actually believe they are real. Until I see them on a reputable site that I recognize, I'll go by what my eyes and sites like ESPN tell me.

Draft analysts chart games and seasons for QBs every year. Isn't that hard to do just very time consuming. They literally do it for a living.  

So check ESPN and tell me A) How many times Rudolph threw to the right side on a short pass and B) What is completion % was on 3rd+4th down. 

The thing you have to realise is there are more measures of situational accuracy than just the % ESPN gives you.

I just don't trust those stats. They don't match up with what I saw last season. You can quote me whatever stats you want, but I watched the overwhelming majority of passes that Rudolph threw last season and they just don't match up to what I saw. Sorry.

(02-02-2018, 12:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 11:43 PM)JackCity Wrote: Draft analysts chart games and seasons for QBs every year. Isn't that hard to do just very time consuming. They literally do it for a living.  

I just don't trust those stats. They don't match up with what I saw last season. You can quote me whatever stats you want, but I watched the overwhelming majority of passes that Rudolph threw last season and they just don't match up to what I saw. Sorry.

So how many passes did Rudolph throw behind the LOS.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2018, 01:30 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-02-2018, 12:42 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 12:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I just don't trust those stats. They don't match up with what I saw last season. You can quote me whatever stats you want, but I watched the overwhelming majority of passes that Rudolph threw last season and they just don't match up to what I saw. Sorry.

So how many passes did Rudolph throw behind the LOS.

The exact amount, I don't know, I have to go back and re-watch the games, but the Cowboys are/were very much a vertical passing team that rarely threw screens and bubble screens behind the line. Admittedly I missed 3 Oklahoma State games which were not televised in my area, but based on the games I did see, I could guarantee the threw behind the LOS either less than or right around 25 total passes the entire season.

People actually think Lamar Jackson is a good QB? Really? Remove the running stuff and tell me what he's good at? Watch that Mississippi State game and let me know. For people saying Rudolph isn't athletic, they have designed runs for him in OSU offense and run RPO. Not saying he's super athletic but he can move a bit.

Oh btw lazy comparison hahahahahahaha that's rich!! How many tapes did you watch of him? Who did you compare him to? If he was Randall Cunningham why wouldn't he be locked in at #1 overall? It's not lazy because they're both black QBs, tell me another QB in the NFL who runs similar to Lamar Jackson? He looks like a WR, he's explosive and extremely dynamic with the ball in his hands while running but make him throw and its not pretty at all.

(02-01-2018, 08:59 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 05:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Absolutely Not true. 65% completion percentage on a 10 yards per attempt average? That ranked top 20 in the NCAA and the yards per attempt ranked 3rd behind Mayfield and McKenzie Milton. When you combine the two, you can make an argument that he was one of the 10 most accurate passers in the NCAA last season. How is that average? There are several things you can disagree about Rudolph on and that can be your opinion, but accuracy is not one. He's one of the most accurate passers in the NCAA.

We already had this discussion.  

Here's his 2017 stats (by draft eligible FBS QBs from 2012, ranked out of 50)  

Total accuracy: 71% (26th). 
Pre LOS accuracy: 89% (34th.....95 out of his 489 passes came before the LOS) 
Past LOS accuracy: 66% (25th)  
0-10 yards accuracy : 73% (31st)  
11-19th accuracy: 67% ( 11th)  
20+ accuracy :  52% ( 17th)    

So yeah, very good intermediate and deep passer (although should be noted that Oklahoma states scheme aids this a lot). Average accuracy to below average accuracy everywhere else. Particularly short.  

2017 was his best season accuracy wise too. If you do an analysis of his career accuracy it paints a similar picture. Very good deep passer with below average accuracy short. Poor placement too.  Still an intriguing prospect overall, just a terrible comp for Alex Smith.

Not disputing these numbers and I'm sorry if youve explained these somewhere else but that' all the drafted QBs and the eligibe guys this year, correct? Also is accuracy the completetion % for those areas or how do they measure that, like catchable ball % or how? Also, what are numbers on some of the other guys and do they factor in playing level? So is it weighted so that the Richmond QB numbers are less valuable than Rosen , because I mean let's be real that's a huge talent gap between the competition.

(02-02-2018, 04:51 AM)ColoJag Wrote: People actually think Lamar Jackson is a good QB? Really? Remove the running stuff and tell me what he's good at?

The list is easier to say what he isn't good at.
Good:
-Velocity
-Accuracy over the middle
-Deep ball touch
-Most mechanics (super fast, compact delivery)
-Reading defenses (Petrino's offense had him doing this and the lower two bullets more than any other top QB)
-Going through progressions
-Taking snaps under center and performing play actions
-Athleticism
-Avoiding big hits

Bad:
-Accuracy to the boundaries
-Inconsistency getting a stable/wide base (fortunately a far easier mechanical flaw to fix compared to throwing motion flaws)
-Thin frame

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2018, 01:52 AM by JackCity.)

(02-02-2018, 01:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 12:42 AM)JackCity Wrote: So how many passes did Rudolph throw behind the LOS.

The exact amount, I don't know, I have to go back and re-watch the games, but the Cowboys are/were very much a vertical passing team that rarely threw screens and bubble screens behind the line. Admittedly I missed 3 Oklahoma State games which were not televised in my area, but based on the games I did see, I could guarantee the threw behind the LOS either less than or right around 25 total passes the entire season.

You are aware that while he takes his fair share of deep shots that Mike Gundy ALWAYS has a ton of screens and and pre LOS passes in his offense right?

It's a staple of his offense.