Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Alex Smith traded to the Redskins..

(01-31-2018, 01:11 AM)Upper Wrote: Just the pick and the extension was a fine deal for the Skins. Giving an extremely good cornerback on top of that was terrible.

I wouldn't be surprised to still see them take a qb in the first.  Bring in Mayfield on a rookie contract.  Poor Alex Smith, a fine qb that I would have LOVED to see in Jacksonville, cannot catch a break.
[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-31-2018, 06:22 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 04:41 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I'm not sure if this will happen. I think he may sign a huge deal, but I also think he wants to win right now. That leaves us( if we are even interested as a front office) and maybe Arizona and Denver. Who else is he going to play for who can win now? Miami? Please... Buffalo? Maybe... I don't see him going to the Browns, or some other QB hungry team that isn't winning games right now. I think he would take 27-29 mil a year to play in Denver or here. That is A LOT of $, but that is about the going rate for a good NFL QB. All that said, Blake just had surgery. I think the writing is on the wall, we are sticking with Bortles.

You think he would take $27-29m per year to play here because he wants to win? Are you honestly serious right now? That's the highest paid QB in the entire league period, regardless of where he's playing at.... Of course he'd sign here, or anywhere else..

That kind of money has nothing to do with winning, or not. That's the kind of money that says I don't give two [BLEEP] where I'm playing, but I'm about to get paid regardless of what happens over the next 4 years. If we win, I get paid. If we lose, I get paid.

If this team signs Kirk Cousins, he better lead this team to the Super Bowl for (at least) the next 3 straight years, or it'll be the worst signing in NFL history.

Hyperbole much?  Breathe man.  If you sign a free agent qb that is an able starter, that's the going rate.  Matt Stafford is the highest paid right now, iirc.  And what has he ever won?  

It's not unreasonable.  Cousins is the only free agent out there that is worth paying starter money for.  Otherwise, keep Blake and move up in the draft to get your qb (which I hope is the plan).  Take your choice of the top 4 qbs.  My flavor of the week is Mayfield.  I just like the swagger and "it' factor he brings.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2018, 02:21 PM by I am Yoda.)

(01-31-2018, 10:03 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Shocked that the Skins trade for Smith, and are letting the younger Cousins walk.

According to overthecap.com, the Skins have over $52m in projected cap space.  My hesitation is that, if the Skins are not willing to pay Cousin's demand of $26-30m per year with high guaranteed dollars, why should any other team (including the Jags)?  The Skins know Cousins better than anyone.

Once again, the Redskins front office hasn't been invited to join MENSA.  Whether it's Bruce Allen or Scott McCloughan or whomever, they have a monthly pass for the short bus.

(01-31-2018, 12:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Bortles, the receiving corps without AR15 and a TE that can threaten in the passing game plus this defense was good enough to win two games in the playoffs and control most of the AFCCG.

For those of you wanting to dump Bortles, are you saying that Bortles can not possibly improve enough with another year in the offensive system and better weapons to reach and win the Super Bowl?

Do you suggest improved weapons in the passing game with Bortles at the helm would not be enough to get defenders out of the box sufficiently to make the offense better?

If this is what you suggest, and Brees sticks to his word to stay in New Orleans, do you pin all of your hopes on upgrading the position on Cousins?

If so, are you willing to live with the risk that Cousins does not get us to the Super Bowl and we end up losing more of our defensive talent in the future?  Is there a less expensive alternative that could upgrade the position?

Suppose you dump Bortles and don't land Cousins?

Rationality.  Refreshing!

(02-01-2018, 02:08 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 06:22 AM)Eric1 Wrote: You think he would take $27-29m per year to play here because he wants to win? Are you honestly serious right now? That's the highest paid QB in the entire league period, regardless of where he's playing at.... Of course he'd sign here, or anywhere else..

That kind of money has nothing to do with winning, or not. That's the kind of money that says I don't give two [BLEEP] where I'm playing, but I'm about to get paid regardless of what happens over the next 4 years. If we win, I get paid. If we lose, I get paid.

If this team signs Kirk Cousins, he better lead this team to the Super Bowl for (at least) the next 3 straight years, or it'll be the worst signing in NFL history.

Hyperbole much?  Breathe man.  If you sign a free agent qb that is an able starter, that's the going rate.  Matt Stafford is the highest paid right now, iirc.  And what has he ever won?  

It's not unreasonable.  Cousins is the only free agent out there that is worth paying starter money for.  Otherwise, keep Blake and move up in the draft to get your qb (which I hope is the plan).  Take your choice of the top 4 qbs.  My flavor of the week is Mayfield.  I just like the swagger and "it' factor he brings.

Stafford is miles ahead of Cousins in ability and it's not even close. I wouldn't want to give either of them that kind of money, but I'd give it to Stafford in a heart beat before Cousins. Stafford has had very little to work with his entire career there. Calvin Johnson and the list after that is slim to none. That guy has never had any kind of a running game there and a Defense that has been a joke. There's a reason why if he didn't put 30+ points on the board every week they'd lose.

You roll with Blake and look to draft a QB somewhere in the first 4 rounds of this year's draft. Ideally 2nd-4th rounds, but you never know who might be there in the late 1st.

Stafford had slightly better stats than Cousins this year. And Cousins wasn't exactly playing with ProBowlers. The question isn't whether Cousins is better than Stafford. Stafford is not better than every other player and yet he's got the richest contract. The question is what is the going rate for a mid-tier productive starter. Stafford's contract is now the floor for that kind of qb going forward.

If you go for a 2-4 round qb, you're most likely drafting a backup, not an upgrade. He could develop. But the odds are against it. If you want to upgrade the position, you have to sign a FA or hit on a draft pick. You're much more likely to hit with a 1st round qb, imo.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Skins thinking about tagging and then trading cousins.

(02-04-2018, 11:23 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Skins thinking about tagging and then trading cousins.

Lolll I hope they do. Love to see a team dance around $55M committed to 1 position

(02-04-2018, 11:23 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Skins thinking about tagging and then trading cousins.

How incompetent! They already showed their hand when they traded for Alex Smith. Other teams know that Washington cannot afford to to keep Smith under the deal he agreed to and Cousins under a franchise tag. Not only that, but Cousins doesn't have to sign the franchise tender. Why would he do Washington any favors? No one in their right mind is gonna give up a pick or more, when they know Washington will eventually release him if no teams make any offers. Washington is just putting off the inevitable and being vindictive.