Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dante Fowler: Trade? Option? (meged threads)

(02-02-2018, 02:04 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 01:37 PM)TJBender Wrote: Why do we, the fans, obsessively want to trade guys as soon as they're good?

Keep Fowler around as long as we can. If we let him walk after next season, he's the same late third-round pick that he would be if traded this year.

To be clear, Mike Kaye, who is media, kicked this idea around.

I argued against this.

The gotta come up with something to talk about.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2018, 03:09 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Trade Fowler for WR Martavis Bryant.  Personally, I don't think Fowler would be as effective without the existing talent that he currently has surrounding him now.

It's a good topic and a tough debate.

At very least we should see what how he does in the offseason and for the first few weeks. I wouldn't trade him for a 3rd right now. A 2nd maybe but even that seems a bit premature. For the right team at the right time you could get a late 1st next year.

why on earth would we trade a 3rd overall pick after his best season at a premiere position when he is still super young?

you want as many pass rushers as you can get, and campbell is going to be 32

Not only is trading him crazy, but trading him for a 3rd round pick is down right stupid

I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd round pick.... QB, pass rushers, and CB are probably the 3 most important positions in football

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2018, 04:18 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-02-2018, 03:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Trade Fowler for WR Martavis Bryant.  Personally, I don't think Fowler would be as effective without the existing talent that he currently has surrounding him now.

I would be opposed to this for several reasons besides the ones I expressed earlier.

Martavis Bryant is a good talent at WR.  He has very good size and excellent deep speed.

But he was suspended for a year for substance issues.  While the Jaguars could use a WR with Bryant's skills, that risk of further lengthy suspensions is enough to make me pass.

Furthermore, sending Fowler to Pittsburgh would help the Steelers tremendously.  There was a game recently where, either during pre game or halftime, Cowher was very complimentary of Fowler. 

I've little doubt that Fowler would do well in that Steelers' scheme as a stand up rusher.  I do not want to help the Steelers in any way. 

We just played them in the playoffs.  They would be direct competitors with us in our quest for a Super Bowl.

Let them decline into mediocrity and worse.  They are WAY past due for it.

You see how quickly we empty out their stadium when we play them there...like a fart in an elevator.

Imagine that place in the midst of a stretch like we had here before this year.

(02-02-2018, 03:08 PM)JackCity Wrote: It's a good topic and a tough debate.

To me it IS a good topic given all of the considerations.

It gets tougher if it came down to keeping Fowler vs Jack...or Ngakoue....or Cam Robinson.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

LOL! Trading a 1st round pick for a 3rd....that's funny.He had double digit sacks if you include postseason.

I'm not trading anything on that defense

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2018, 04:29 PM by Cleatwood.)

(02-02-2018, 04:26 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: LOL! Trading a 1st round pick for a 3rd....that's funny.He had double digit sacks if you include postseason.

I'm not trading anything on that defense
The fact that he was a 1st round pick means nothing.

I wouldn't trade him but the fact he was taken 3rd overall means squat.

(02-02-2018, 04:14 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 03:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Trade Fowler for WR Martavis Bryant.  Personally, I don't think Fowler would be as effective without the existing talent that he currently has surrounding him now.

I would be opposed to this for several reasons besides the ones I expressed earlier.

Martavis Bryant is a good talent at WR.  He has very good size and excellent deep speed.

But he was suspended for a year for substance issues.  While the Jaguars could use a WR with Bryant's skills, that risk of further lengthy suspensions is enough to make me pass.

Furthermore, sending Fowler to Pittsburgh would help the Steelers tremendously.  There was a game recently where, either during pre game or halftime, Cowher was very complimentary of Fowler. 

I've little doubt that Fowler would do well in that Steelers' scheme as a stand up rusher.  I do not want to help the Steelers in any way. 

We just played them in the playoffs.  They would be direct competitors with us in our quest for a Super Bowl.

You see how quickly we empty out their stadium when we play them there...like a fart in an elevator.

(02-02-2018, 03:08 PM)JackCity Wrote: It's a good topic and a tough debate.

It gets tougher if it came down to keeping Fowler vs Jack...or Ngakoue....or Cam Robinson.
Jack, Ngakoue, Robinson and Ramsey should be just about untouchable. Jack is just scratching the surface.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2018, 04:37 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-02-2018, 03:58 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: why on earth would we trade a 3rd overall pick after his best season at a premiere position when he is still super young?

Not only is trading him crazy, but trading him for a 3rd round pick is down right stupid

I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd round pick....  QB, pass rushers, and CB are probably the 3 most important positions in football

Uhhh........ I would argue that blindside OT is equally, if not more important, than pass rushers or CB's.

(02-02-2018, 04:14 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Also trading a pass rusher for a WR straight up is just plain [BLEEP] stupid.

I think it would be a terrible idea to trade him right now. Hopefully they aim to keep this defense intact and altogether for as long as possible. He did a great job in a limited role last year. And also, just from what we saw with Coughlin's time in New York. He seemed to always have a strong stable of pass rushers. At least four during his two big runs as the head coach. It's too risky to trade him at this time.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2018, 05:25 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-02-2018, 04:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [quote pid='1102412' dateline='1517602467']

Jack, Ngakoue, Robinson and Ramsey should be just about untouchable. Jack is just scratching the surface.
[/quote]

I agree with this.

The play Jack made against New England was reminiscent of the kind of plays Polamalu used to make.

Had he been allowed to advance the ball, that would have gone down as one of the all time great individual plays in playoff history.

Playmaking ability like that cannot be allowed to leave.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Cap space isn't really an issue for this upcoming year unless you want to spend a bazillion dollars on a new QB. Which I don't think we're doing. This roster is built to win now. No reason to break it up.

Build a team set up:
1-Find your Qb
2-Find guys that can affect their Qb
3-Protect your Qb
4-Profit?!?
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

If it were me, I'd want a first rounder and that's not gonna happen.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

My diety, is this going to be the offseason this year? Stupid ideas about dismantling the team we've waited a decade to have here?

SMDH.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-02-2018, 04:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 03:58 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: why on earth would we trade a 3rd overall pick after his best season at a premiere position when he is still super young?

I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd round pick....  QB, pass rushers, and CB are probably the 3 most important positions in football

Uhhh........ I would argue that blindside OT is equally, if not more important, than pass rushers or CB's.

I've always looked at it like this.

QB > Pass Rusher > LT > CB in order of importance.

(02-02-2018, 08:25 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 04:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Uhhh........ I would argue that blindside OT is equally, if not more important, than pass rushers or CB's.

Agree

(02-02-2018, 12:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 11:37 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Calais has his best year this year but is no spring chicken. i can see fowler getting a few more snaps next year resting Calais more.

This.

If we keep Fowler another year, he has another year to mature and be influenced by Calais.

By 2019, Fowler will likely have learned how to conduct himself as a pro football player from one of the best.  He would have developed his array of pass rush moves and learned to study film.  But he would also be 25 years old-easily within his prime years.

Campbell-a huge contributor to this team and has helped give this franchise credibility around the league-will be 33 by the start of the 2019 season.  While I'd love to see him retire as a Super Bowl champion as a Jaguar, he can't realistically be counted upon to maintain his current level of play at that age.
I'm not so sure about that. He is the consummate professional. The guy is very serious about the game, and likely trains as such. While he may get a few more breaks next season, I don't see his play dropping off yet. I  would be willing to venture that he has 3 to 4 more productive years in him. The guys that take football as seriously as him make sure that they're ready to go.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Dear lord, no, never. Bryant is a waste of size and Speed.I'm not the biggest Fowler fan but the Steelers would be laughing all the way to the bank with that trade.

(02-02-2018, 08:25 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 04:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Uhhh........ I would argue that blindside OT is equally, if not more important, than pass rushers or CB's.

Cornerback has started to overtake LT in terms of positional value which is interesting.