Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dante Fowler: Trade? Option? (meged threads)

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018, 12:04 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-02-2018, 11:51 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 08:25 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I've always looked at it like this.

QB > Pass Rusher > LT > CB in order of importance.

Cornerback has started to overtake LT in terms of positional value which is interesting.

There just hasn't really been any elite tackle prospects as of late or they would still go as high as they have in the past. Not to mention the last few LTs that went in the top 3 were busts

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-03-2018, 12:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 11:51 PM)JackCity Wrote: Cornerback has started to overtake LT in terms of positional value which is interesting.

There just hasn't really been any elite tackle prospects as of late or they would still go as high as they have in the past.  Not to mention the last few LTs that went in the top 3 were busts
It's not even the draft. Just look at the contracts CBs are getting Vs LTs.  

The positional value can always be seen in the contracts.

Although tbf you probably have a point about the scarcity. Russel Okung is getting paid the same amount as Bouye. I guess we just haven't had an elite tackle get a big contract recently

Dumb idea because we are going to have to get rid of all the money we have tied up on the DL very soon.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018, 05:08 AM by Gojags.)

I think the only way we will  trade Fowler is if we package him and our 1st round pick and I guess another pick  to move up in the draft to get a qb. Personally I’m in the Bortles camp for one more year so I hope we don’t do that  but that is the only reason I think we should try to trade him this year to keep qb money down for another few years. 

Even if we do go big and sign Cousins,  I don’t see why  we cant keep the whole defense intact this year and go for It all and not really hinder the future too much and get something for Fowler next year even as comp pick.  Regardless we are going to have to draft well whichever direction we go.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018, 07:38 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-03-2018, 02:17 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 12:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There just hasn't really been any elite tackle prospects as of late or they would still go as high as they have in the past.  Not to mention the last few LTs that went in the top 3 were busts
It's not even the draft. Just look at the contracts CBs are getting Vs LTs.  

Who's the last elite left tackle to get a contract extension not in their 30s?

(02-03-2018, 07:36 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 02:17 AM)JackCity Wrote: It's not even the draft. Just look at the contracts CBs are getting Vs LTs.  

Who's the last elite tackle to get a contract not in their 30s?

See above.  

My statement ain't really true when Russell Okung is getting paid the same as Bouye.

(02-03-2018, 02:28 AM)JackCity Wrote: Although tbf you probably have a point about the scarcity. Russel Okung is getting paid the same amount as Bouye. I guess we just haven't had an elite tackle get a big contract recently

Okung is also 30 with a history of injuries and Bouye is a young and up and coming corner.  Wait till Lewan gets his next contract in a year or 2.  He will break the bank

(02-03-2018, 07:45 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 02:28 AM)JackCity Wrote: Although tbf you probably have a point about the scarcity. Russel Okung is getting paid the same amount as Bouye. I guess we just haven't had an elite tackle get a big contract recently

Okung is also 30 with a history of injuries and Bouye is a young and up and coming corner.  Wait till Lewan gets his next contract in a year or 2.  He will break the bank
I'm agreeing with yaw. Ramseys gonna be paid more than the highest tackle contract

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018, 08:00 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-03-2018, 07:52 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 07:45 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Okung is also 30 with a history of injuries and Bouye is a young and up and coming corner.  Wait till Lewan gets his next contract in a year or 2.  He will break the bank
I'm agreeing with yaw. Ramseys gonna be paid more than the highest tackle contract

Because he is playing like a HOF corner right now.  If a tackle comes in and plays like a HOF tackle, he will make just as much.  Corners are much easier to find than tackles  imo

The success rate is much higher also

Good tackles are hard to come by these days. We lucked out when we got Cam in the 2nd

(02-03-2018, 07:58 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 07:52 AM)JackCity Wrote: I'm agreeing with yaw. Ramseys gonna be paid more than the highest tackle contract

Because he is playing like a HOF corner right now.  If a tackle comes in and plays like a HOF tackle, he will make just as much.  Corners are much easier to find than tackles  imo

The success rate is much higher also
Oh yeah that's a given. If tackles had a high success rate everyone would have them.  

I'd say the top cornerback contracts will always be higher than the top tackle contract for the reasons stated above.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one end. The majority of sacks are based on free running lanes. On other has improved big time. But who would buy a high end draft pick? The browns?
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018, 08:45 AM by The Real Marty.)

I only read the first page of this so far,  but here's what I have to say:

The front office has to build a big spreadsheet, showing the cost of all the players on the team, projected forward over several years, including new contracts for young stars like Ngakoue, Ramsey, a QB, and on and on.  Plus deletions of guys like Ivory, and so forth.   And they have to fit all these numbers under the projected salary cap for 2018, and 2019, and 2020, and into the future.  So it's not as easy as saying, "Oh, I like him.  We should keep him."   All these salaries have to be budgeted.   And who among us has done such a projection?  

As some point, we will have to let good young players leave, and hopefully we can get something for them and not have them just walk away for free.  

So, it's an interesting topic, but we don't have enough facts to answer the question.  Not by a long shot.

Trading Fowler is fine if another team wants to be idiotic about his value, but he's not a difference maker at his position. If he were to be signed to a new deal by the Jags I'd say it shouldn't be more than a few million per year. I could see something like a four year 20 million contract with most of the salary being in the last season in case the team doesn't want him after a couple of seasons. He's athletic but he's got no bend and no pass rushing moves. His sack total this season was essentially his ceiling as a player when everyone around him is winning and he gets to always have the one on one.

(02-03-2018, 09:15 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Trading Fowler is fine if another team wants to be idiotic about his value, but he's not a difference maker at his position. If he were to be signed to a new deal by the Jags I'd say it shouldn't be more than a few million per year. I could see something like a four year 20 million contract with most of the salary being in the last season in case the team doesn't want him after a couple of seasons. He's athletic but he's got no bend and no pass rushing moves. His sack total this season was essentially his ceiling as a player when everyone around him is winning and he gets to always have the one on one.

I love the way you keep a straight face while spewing this trollery. You're almost as good as KYJaggy, but needs more Beasley.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Someone wants to trade a pass rusher, a premium position that we struggled at for years, for a WR? Ye gods.

(02-03-2018, 09:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 09:15 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Trading Fowler is fine if another team wants to be idiotic about his value, but he's not a difference maker at his position. If he were to be signed to a new deal by the Jags I'd say it shouldn't be more than a few million per year. I could see something like a four year 20 million contract with most of the salary being in the last season in case the team doesn't want him after a couple of seasons. He's athletic but he's got no bend and no pass rushing moves. His sack total this season was essentially his ceiling as a player when everyone around him is winning and he gets to always have the one on one.

I love the way you keep a straight face while spewing this trollery. You're almost as good as KYJaggy, but needs more Beasley.

Which part do you explicitly disagree with?

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018, 01:35 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

He was our best defender in the championship game.  Almost unlockable in the 1st half and was doubled the whole 2nd half.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Fowler will be our most improved player this year with Jack a close 2nd and Cam our most improved on offense.   I think Westbrook will have a breakout year also.  I think the most surprising player will be Smoot, I think he improves a good bit also, he showed some nice flashes his rookie season

(02-03-2018, 09:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Other than Teddy he was the most over hyped player I have seen on this board.  Jackson is starting to pass Beasley though.  Don't think anyone will ever come close to Bridgewater as the most overrated/over hyped prospect though.  The next Brady, Manning, Montana, Aikman etc. That was fun stuff

would only trade him for a 1st round pick, or 2nd and 3rd.

(02-03-2018, 07:52 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 07:45 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Okung is also 30 with a history of injuries and Bouye is a young and up and coming corner.  Wait till Lewan gets his next contract in a year or 2.  He will break the bank

Ramsey will get 20mil+ a year so that will be interesting when it's time to sign.

Trading Fowler is about as dumb as it gets. We'll pretty much have the same roster minus Colvin going into the playoffs with Tom Brady one year older. There's no way we lose two years in a row with this roster.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.