Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Foles' Trade Value

(02-05-2018, 04:01 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 04:00 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: Is there any way that Foles agent can make it harder for the Eagles to keep him? I know he’s still got a year left on his current contract, but that Superbowl MVP he collected last night has to give him some kind of leverage no?

Yes, Super Bowl MVP means you automatically become an elite QB. Get him at all cost.

One game doesn't make a player elite I agree, but he certainly played well enough to entertain offers to bring him onboard

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The guy had a good 3 game stretch. Slightly worse than a 3 game stretch that Bortles had this year. In the regular season his QB Rating was 79.5. The last season before that as a regular starter it was 69.0. He looked great in the Super Bowl. But didn't New England bench their best corner for the game?

Foles was helped by a good OLine and he might have been helped by good receivers and an ambitious play-caller, BUT he had to play his part - and he did that magnificently against two of the best teams in the NFL this season.

He’s not going to be a franchise-changer, but he fits into the “safe pair of hands” bracket, just like Cousins - and he will be cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(02-05-2018, 04:51 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote: The guy had a good 3 game stretch. Slightly worse than a 3 game stretch that Bortles had this year. In the regular season his QB Rating was 79.5. The last season before that as a regular starter it was 69.0. He looked great in the Super Bowl. But didn't New England bench their best corner for the game?

He also blew the doors off of a top 3 Defense vs Minny before yesterday. He's so hard to assess because there are very strong arguments to say he's for real and very strong arguments to say we don't know enough yet or that he's just capable of getting on a hot streak and not capable of consistently playing at a high level.

(02-05-2018, 09:42 AM)Upper Wrote: Foles' contract is really weird. I know they did the last 3 years as dummy years so they could spread the signing bonus farther, and then those years void after next year if he is still on the Eagles. That's why everyone said it was really only a 2 year deal.

But if he is traded they don't get voided and he has to play 3 years on pretty much the minimum salary? I'm not quite sure we're interpreting that right, but if so that's a mega steal (and also probably a major point of strife and potential holdout for Foles as he'd be getting super screwed). Someone will dig into it deeper and give a clearer explanation now that he's a prime trade candidate though so I'm going to wait and see.

Interesting. It says the final years void if he's still on the Eagles roster as of the 23rd day of the new league year for 2019, which in turn says they don't void if he's on a different roster.

Also, my numbers were off slightly. His base salary during those additional years is $5.5 mil per year like I said, but in 2018 it's only $4 mil. He's also due a $3 mil roster bonus, but i'm not sure when that's due. If it's due at the start of the league year as I suspect, then the Eagles would have to first pay that $3 mil in order to hang onto him long enough to trade him. In that case the $3 mil would be in their books. 

As for his trade value, I can see a couple teams picking near the start of the rounds offering their early 2nd round pick, so I'm thinking the Jaguars may have to surrender their late first round pick for Foles.
'02

(02-05-2018, 05:35 PM)JNev Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 04:51 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote: The guy had a good 3 game stretch. Slightly worse than a 3 game stretch that Bortles had this year. In the regular season his QB Rating was 79.5. The last season before that as a regular starter it was 69.0. He looked great in the Super Bowl. But didn't New England bench their best corner for the game?

He also blew the doors off of a top 3 Defense vs Minny before yesterday. He's so hard to assess because there are very strong arguments to say he's for real and very strong arguments to say we don't know enough yet or that he's just capable of getting on a hot streak and not capable of consistently playing at a high level.

It was impressive, but still too small of a sample size for someone who was a below average QB in every season before this run. Even in the regular season his only good start came against the Giants who were atrocious this season. His final start he had a QB Rating under 10.

(02-05-2018, 01:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Yikes. A lot of you want to trade for Foles? Maybe the system they run in Philly has a role to play in his game? Foles played very well. No doubt. But QBs can get hot. You guys wanna trade for Flacco?

As we learned this offseason with the Giancarlo Stanton drama, it's all about the contract. Foles with the megasteal contract of 4 years for ~7.5 million total is infinitely more valuable than Flacco being a FA right after the super bowl and then having to be given a huge payday. Also infinitely more valuable than 1 year of 19 mil Blake and then starting from scratch or also giving a huge payday.

Wentz might not be healthy by week 1 so I highly doubt Philly trades him.

(02-05-2018, 06:04 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 05:35 PM)JNev Wrote: He also blew the doors off of a top 3 Defense vs Minny before yesterday. He's so hard to assess because there are very strong arguments to say he's for real and very strong arguments to say we don't know enough yet or that he's just capable of getting on a hot streak and not capable of consistently playing at a high level.

It was impressive, but still too small of a sample size for someone who was a below average QB in every season before this run. Even in the regular season his only good start came against the Giants who were atrocious this season. His final start he had a QB Rating under 10.

If you erase his stats from that one year with the Rams under Jeff Fischer (the QB killer), his career stats are actually pretty good. Just look at the stats of many good QB's under Fischer and compare them to when he was gone from their lives. I believe Fischer could ruin Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

(02-05-2018, 07:57 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 06:04 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote: It was impressive, but still too small of a sample size for someone who was a below average QB in every season before this run. Even in the regular season his only good start came against the Giants who were atrocious this season. His final start he had a QB Rating under 10.

If you erase his stats from that one year with the Rams under Jeff Fischer (the QB killer), his career stats are actually pretty good. Just look at the stats of many good QB's under Fischer and compare them to when he was gone from their lives. I believe Fischer could ruin Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

His career stats are bolstered by one outlier year though. In the 5 seasons where he made at least 3 starts that was the only season with a QB rating above 81. I think he is just as inconsistent as Bortles. Could have a higher ceiling and if Jags could get him for a bargain it may be a good trade, but there was a reason he was a backup QB.

Honeslty i wonder how much is Pederson though? Also i too wondered the odds on a qb winning super bowls on two different teams.
No Fun

(02-05-2018, 10:29 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Honeslty i wonder how much is Pederson though? Also i too wondered the odds on a qb winning super bowls on two different teams.

This. I mean can he hand the ball off better then BB5. If they get foles do you really think they are gonna pass more then run?

Bortles could of possibly done the same thing if they gave him a chance but we will never know because they didn't give him a chance

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018, 12:56 AM by TheSchmidt.)

They're gonna ask for a lot, and deservedly so.

I'm just not sure how much Jax should give up if they indeed ask about him. Definitely not a 1st, torn on a 2nd.

He is definitely a better QB than Bortles, but how much of his success was Pederson? Tough decision.

(02-05-2018, 10:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Bortles could of possibly done the same thing if they gave him a chance but we will never know because they didn't give him a chance

Bortles isn't accurate enough to fit balls into tight windows like Foles was last night.

That TD pass to Clement was special.

Yeah he had some really nice throws.
No Fun

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018, 06:39 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-05-2018, 06:04 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 05:35 PM)JNev Wrote: He also blew the doors off of a top 3 Defense vs Minny before yesterday. He's so hard to assess because there are very strong arguments to say he's for real and very strong arguments to say we don't know enough yet or that he's just capable of getting on a hot streak and not capable of consistently playing at a high level.

He was not "below average in every season before this run."

In 2013, he had 27 TDs and 2 INTs, and a quarterback rating of 119.

(02-05-2018, 10:29 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Honeslty i wonder how much is Pederson though? Also i too wondered the odds on a qb winning super bowls on two different teams.

That's sort of like saying I can't get in a car crash twice.    There's no particular reason a QB can't win a Super Bowl on two different teams.   It's rare, because Super Bowl winning QBs don't often go from one good team to another.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018, 08:30 AM by homebiscuit.)

(02-05-2018, 07:30 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wentz might not be healthy by week 1 so I highly doubt Philly trades him.

Yep. Lots of talk about what Foles is worth on the market when he may not be available at all. If and how much Foles is worth on the market hinges (no pun intended) entirely on Wentz's knee.

(02-06-2018, 07:46 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 07:30 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wentz might not be healthy by week 1 so I highly doubt Philly trades him.

Yep. Lots of talk about what Foles is worth on the market when he may not be available at all. If and how much Foles is worth on the market hinges (no pun intended) entirely on Wentz's knee.

I would suggest Bortles and a 2nd, but then I realized how expensive he is. Not gonna happen.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Nick Foles currently has hero-status, after slaying the dragon

I don't see any reason for Philadelphia to trade him. I know I am wrong b/c I read the ESPN article cited on Page 1 of this thread but...Wentz may not be ready and the Eagles' window is wide open for a back to back set of titles; Foles is cheap insurance; he's also "good" insurance and he is a known commodity to them and fits seamlessly into their system.

If he cost 19 million to keep for the year, that would be one thing but 5.5 million or whatever? Chicken feed. IMO, they would be crazy to get rid of him.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile