Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags vs Pats - 2nd half - 1st Down Play Calling Detailed

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2018, 12:43 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

HOW NOT TO WIN A PLAYOFF GAME VS THE PATRIOTS -- hopefully Marrone & Hackett watched the Eagles win last night.

Jags 2nd half play calling on 1st down.

3rd Qtr
Fournette - 2 yard run
Fournette - 1 yard run
Fournette - 3 yard run
Bortles - incomplete pass
Fournette - 0 yard run
Bortles - 15 yard pass
Fournette - 2 yard run
Fournette - 14 yard run

4th Qtr
Fournette - 2 yard run
Fournette - 1 yard run
Fournette - 1 yard run
Fournette - (-1) yard run
Fournette - 2 yard run
Bortles - 8 yard pass

Summary of 1st down plays in 2nd half
11 Runs to Fournette (10 up the middle) - 27 yards total
5 passes by Bortles  (2 complete for 23 yards)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-05-2018, 12:41 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: HOW NOT TO WIN A PLAYOFF GAME VS THE PATRIOTS -- hopefully Marrone & Hackett watched the Eagles win last night.

3rd Qtr
Fournette - 2 yard run
Fournette - 1 yard run
Fournette - 3 yard run
Fournette - 0 yard run
Bortles - 15 yard pass
Fournette - 2 yard run
Fournette - 14 yard run

4th Qtr
Fournette - 2 yard run
Fournette - 1 yard run
Fournette - 1 yard run
Fournette - 2 yard run
Bortles - 8 yard pass

Very nice detail. The coaches need about 90% of the blame on losing that game. You have to keep the hammer down and not curl up into a 1 yrd run and a cloud of dust. Other 10% on refs

Marrone mentioned he never watched the SB's when the Giants beat the Pats. He may be one of those coaches who just doesn't watch SB's.

The same thing happened to Atlanta last year. The went to zone def and ran the ball in the second half and the pats came back. Should have learned from that one.

(02-05-2018, 04:05 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Marrone mentioned he never watched the SB's when the Giants beat the Pats. He may be one of those coaches who just doesn't watch SB's.

I like the way he has turned the team around.  I think he will be a great coach here.  But I think he does have some learning to do.  Not a whole lot though.  He’ll learn from the mistakes.  But when I heard he didn’t watch the SB’s, I did kind of wonder to myself why not.  You’d think as a coach in the NFL you’re kind of obligated to watch it whether you want to or not.  You’d think there would be more ‘passion’ for the game.  Not sure that is the right word to put on it.

I wonder what Coughlin's notebook says about the second half.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018, 10:53 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-06-2018, 10:50 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: I wonder what Coughlin's notebook says about the second half.

A page from Coughlin's notebook was recenctly deemed declassified and subsequently released.  He's what it said:  "W-T-F" and I don't think that means Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday

(02-05-2018, 12:41 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: HOW NOT TO WIN A PLAYOFF GAME VS THE PATRIOTS -- hopefully Marrone & Hackett watched the Eagles win last night.

3rd Qtr
Fournette - 2 yard run
Fournette - 1 yard run
Fournette - 3 yard run
Fournette - 0 yard run
Bortles - 15 yard pass
Fournette - 2 yard run
Fournette - 14 yard run

4th Qtr
Fournette - 2 yard run
Fournette - 1 yard run
Fournette - 1 yard run
Fournette - 2 yard run
Bortles - 8 yard pass

I'm pretty sure That is the definition of logic and sanity; repeating the same thing expecting different results.

(02-06-2018, 10:53 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 10:50 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: I wonder what Coughlin's notebook says about the second half.

A page from Coughlin's notebook was recenctly deemed declassified and subsequently released.  He's what it said:  "W-T-F" and I don't think that means Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday

It probably has a note like GET A QB!!!!  or Road Grading Guard or Pass Catching TE
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

This was the problem I saw when Doug was hired and I felt very meh about him. I know he had an outstanding year and there was a turn-around but the AFCC loss was hopefully a learning experience. Philly had an identical gameplan vs New England, they were just more aggressive. Doug plays scared, conservative high school ball sometimes. I'm not even talking run-pass ration. I'm more disappointed with the defensive calls honestly. Marrone had flaws but Todd Wash got outcoached in 5 of his last 6 games and the 9ers game was the biggest indicator. I was honestly hoping a team would pluck away Wash for an HC vacancy because he was wasting this defense at times is several games despite having so much talent and grossly mishandling the unit. That's why they got exposed. That's why the AFCC hurt, as New England was winning games with one of the worst Patriot rosters I've seen in the Brady/Belichick era.

P.S I'm aware this is a heavy criticism, and maybe harsh despite the team success and pride that's been restored- - but if you want to be the best you have to be super critical.

I actually love the play calling as is if only we had better run blocking up front.

Simply put, if those -1 to 2-yard runs were instead 3 to 6-yard runs, that's an entirely different game with 4Net probably taking over and blowing the game wide open. The way he was running in the first half, I feel like he was gearing up for a huge finish that didn't happen because the Pats were able to close everything up. We need more power up front. 

'02

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018, 12:14 PM by Caldrac.)

They let up in the 2nd half. Plenty of blame to go around. Whether it was a matter of them playing not to lose with a ten point lead instead of playing to win no longer matters at this point. We had them pinned back on 3rd and 18 and the defense didn't get it done. It wasn't any different than what the Eagles did all night in their victory. And just like our game. The Patriots were only flagged one time for five yards.

They rushed with four and that was it. The only difference is that when the game was on the line they actually made a play on Brady in the backfield and secured the fumble to all but seal the deal. We instead got gouged on 3rd and 18 and you could see the life drain from everybody on that field and on our sideline.

They will hopefully get more aggressive in 2018. I think with our schedule they have to be aggressive moving forward. Otherwise it'll be 2017 all over again. Where instead of winning 12 - 13 games you dick around and find a way to lose 3 - 4 games you know you should have won. Maybe having Allen Robinson back plus another good draft and free agency class will turn this team into a steamroller this year. One can only hope.

(02-09-2018, 11:56 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I actually love the play calling as is if only we had better run blocking up front.

Simply put, if those -1 to 2-yard runs were instead 3 to 6-yard runs, that's an entirely different game with 4Net probably taking over and blowing the game wide open. The way he was running in the first half, I feel like he was gearing up for a huge finish that didn't happen because the Pats were able to close everything up. We need more power up front. 

True. I honestly have OG as a top priority in the draft or free agency this year. I saw A.J Cann get bulldozed too much and pushed off his feet too much last year. He's certainly a weak link in the interior. And any time Patrick Omameh was out of the line up you knew it would be tough sledding. It'll be addressed in the months to come. You can count on that.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

A friend of mine who is not a Jags fan said when he watched the game the fourth quarter stood out to him as if the Jags were deliberately throwing the game. While I'm doubtful, the play calling on both offense and defense and the Fournette non-catch certainly looked suspicious.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(02-09-2018, 11:56 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I actually love the play calling as is if only we had better run blocking up front.

I agree with this in principle, but there is still a play-calling issue here. I'll explain. 

First of all: The way he was running in the first half wasn't that great. 

The first time Fournette ran for more than 3 yards, it came with 1:53 left to play in the first quarter. They ran it out of a set featuring 3 WR and a TE after Blake had just converted consecutive first downs through the air. That opened up the middle and he got six yards. After that he had a run for 13 yards out of a 3WR/2RB set, 3 runs for 4 yards each, and a bunch of nothing before the half ended. The other runs were for  0,1,1,2,2,2,3 yards.  (avg 3.5 yds per carry in 1st half)

Many of the good things that happened offensively came out of a two back set with 3 receivers. This is how they lined up for Fournette's 13 yard run. 

[Image: wH6mQAn.png]

They had just thrown to Grant out of this formation recently for a big gain - so he got the attention and 27 was able to weave behind Cann and Parnell for 13 yards. 

They scrapped this in the second half and dared NE to stop the run out of mostly power formations. 
That was a mistake.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 01:47 AM by Eric1.)

(02-12-2018, 11:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I agree with this in principle, but there is still a play-calling issue here. I'll explain. 

First of all:  The way he was running in the first half wasn't that great. 

The first time Fournette ran for more than 3 yards, it came with 1:53 left to play in the first quarter. They ran it out of a set featuring 3 WR and a TE after Blake had just converted consecutive first downs through the air. That opened up the middle and he got six yards. After that he had a run for 13 yards out of a 3WR/2RB set, 3 runs for 4 yards each, and a bunch of nothing before the half ended. The other runs were for  0,1,1,2,2,2,3 yards.  (avg 3.5 yds per carry in 1st half)

Many of the good things that happened offensively came out of a two back set with 3 receivers. This is how they lined up for Fournette's 13 yard run. 

[Image: wH6mQAn.png]

They had just thrown to Grant out of this formation recently for a big gain - so he got the attention and 27 was able to weave behind Cann and Parnell for 13 yards. 

They scrapped this in the second half and dared NE to stop the run out of mostly power formations. 
That was a mistake.

They ran that formation (or one very similar) at least 3-4 times in that first half and every time the play went to a different player. They had the Pats on their heels in the 1st half and they had no clue who was getting the ball from that line up, or where the play was going.

(02-13-2018, 01:46 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 11:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I agree with this in principle, but there is still a play-calling issue here. I'll explain. 

First of all:  The way he was running in the first half wasn't that great. 

That was a mistake.

They ran that formation (or one very similar) at least 3-4 times in that first half and every time the play went to a different player. They had the Pats on their heels in the 1st half and they had no clue who was getting the ball from that line up, or where the play was going.

Yes. That's my point. The pats weren't stopping it and the Jags stopped running it.  It's a complete mystery to me why they'd practically abandon that the way they did. 

They did run a few times (2 or 3)  from a 3WR set in the second half, but they either had one back or they had #27 plus the FB. Not Grant. Grant's speed was making that formation tough to defend. Three wide plus a power back and a scat-back is a very multiple look for a defense to cover effectively. 

Bortles also made a couple of iffy choices on the option stuff out of that set in the second half  (if it were indeed up to him and not predetermined.)  
The worst of which was when they faked the end-around and ran up the middle for no gain when the end-around was open for a huge gain. On another - he gave to Fournette when he could have kept it and thrown or run to the right easily. The lane was open as was the TE.

Oh well. I hope they see the film of those good plays in the first half and build on that. 

The formation that was working so well was this or some variation of this:

Lee    Lewis     LT-LG-C-RG-RT             Westbrook or Cole
                     Grant
                               Bortles     Fournette

Unfortunately, the Pats got a hold of our 2nd half playbook (on 1st down)

[Image: play-art.Png]

Still mad about it, we definitely should have been in the Super Bowl

(02-13-2018, 10:12 PM)D-Money Wrote: Still mad about it, we definitely should have been in the Super Bowl

Rehashing that game feels slightly similar to what I imagine it would feel like if I repeatedly kicked myself in the balls, if I'm being totally honest.