Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
US Born Citizen kills 4 with AR-15

(02-06-2018, 09:11 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Exactly, extremely worrying. Which is why homicide rates in tge us are so high compared to over developed nations.

Here it isnt a right /left thing its a common sense thing

The homicide rate in the U.S. is not as high as other places.  The highest homicide countries are pretty much in Africa and South America.  However, someone like you probably doesn't regard those countries as "developed nations".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Well thats good it is safer than Africa! What a high bar to set.

(02-06-2018, 09:59 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Well thats good it is safer than Africa! What a high bar to set.

So you believe that guns make people commit murder? Makes sense.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 01:08 AM by wrong_box.)

This may be a mixed topic post, but it does pertain to the intentional killing of people by whatever means...The current jail/prison system is no longer a deterrent to committing a crime...People are not afraid to go to prison anymore...It used to be taboo to go to jail/prison, but today it's not a big deal and in some communities it's almost expected to do so...

I've been in jail before (nothing big just some petty dumb [BLEEP]) and I have heard inmates taking about how much time they think they are going to get and it doesn't bother them...I've heard things like," yeah I'm gonna do about 5 years. so I'm just gonna lay down and do my time, and then go back home, but until then I'll just watch tv and eat my commissary and play some cards"...

I contend if the prison system was harsher, people would think long and hard about committing crimes...As it stands now, most people don't really give a [BLEEP] if they go to jail because they really don't have to do much of anything while they are there...

About 33k gun deaths a year in the US. About 22k are suicides. About 8-9k are gang related.

That leaves 2-3k murders with a gun every year. Take out gang-related murders and we're in line with most European countries. As long as you aren't a gang member doing gang things... you're good.

(02-07-2018, 02:06 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: About 33k gun deaths a year in the US. About 22k are suicides. About 8-9k are gang related.

That leaves 2-3k murders with a gun every year. Take out gang-related murders and we're in line with most European countries. As long as you aren't a gang member doing gang things... you're good.

It's almost like the media intentionally misconstrues stories like this one for some nefarious purpose, but they wouldn't do that, would they?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Simple really ... Mass shooting stories haven't moved American sympathies for more gun control. Heck a nut job shooting at Congress members at a ball game practice didn't move the needle. So now they are switching to massive coverage of local affairs stories and trying to make them national stories. The world is broken and people are not loving by nature. Go back to the late 1800's and gangs were slicing, dicing and beating people to death. The gun is just a tool.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(02-07-2018, 09:21 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Heck a nut job shooting at Congress members at a ball game practice didn't move the needle. 

It was Republicans, I'm surprised it was only forgotten by the media and not outright celebrated.

(02-07-2018, 02:06 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: About 33k gun deaths a year in the US. About 22k are suicides. About 8-9k are gang related.

So suicides shouldn't be prevented and gang deaths dont count?

(02-07-2018, 08:48 PM)lastonealive Wrote:

I dunno, if you wanna off yourself is that someone else's fault? Don't you have a right to self determination?

If you're in a gang getting killed goes with the territory...literally.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 10:50 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

(02-07-2018, 08:48 PM)lastonealive Wrote:

Since the argument is that guns make it more dangerous, I think it's important to note that if you aren't a gang member and don't intend on killing yourself, then it isn't more dangerous.

Suicide rates between America and Australia are really close, for example. Just because Americans do it with a gun, it doesn't mean guns should be outlawed. They're still going to do it.

(02-07-2018, 10:48 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 08:48 PM)lastonealive Wrote: So suicides shouldn't be prevented and gang deaths dont count?

Since the argument is that guns make it more dangerous, I think it's important to note that if you aren't a gang member and don't intend on killing yourself, then it isn't more dangerous.

Suicide rates between America and Australia are really close, for example. Just because Americans do it with a gun, it doesn't mean guns should be outlawed. They're still going to do it.

Hell, Australians do it by "living in Australia."

(02-07-2018, 11:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 10:48 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Since the argument is that guns make it more dangerous, I think it's important to note that if you aren't a gang member and don't intend on killing yourself, then it isn't more dangerous.

Hell, Australians do it by "living in Australia."

I wonder if that one counts as a [BLEEP] hole country.  Probably not.

This just in: People break laws, commit crimes, including murder

Solution: Create more laws, for people to break, which of course will stop murder.

Libs: But more laws would prevent more murders.

Realists: No it wouldn't, if anything it would create more criminals.

---Our gun laws are more strict now than they were "back in the day" and murder rates have steadily increased.
The solution to crime is never more laws, it's better implementation, education, and enforcement of current laws.
And even then... you're still gonna have people do what they need to do to fulfill their crazy quota.

Looks like another school mass shooting. Terrible.

Ok, I'm not here looking for an argument or anything.. I just want to know other peoples rationale.

Over here in the UK we don't have the same laws regarding firearms, so please excuse my ignorance.

I've seen people saying "having access to firearms doesn't make people commit murder" - Although I hear that and I understand that, surely the laws over there make it easier to commit murder with a firearm because they're more easily accessible? Now I know that the registered and legal firearms aren't necessarily the ones you have to look out for, but those with the serial numbers removed would have been registered at some point?

I mean, sure.. people with any kind of motive can kill. We've seen people using vehicles to commit murder over the last few years.. here in the UK we have more stabbings and strangulations over any other murder.

Is it a case that murders happen frequently, but shootings are the most high profile so that's why us "outsiders" feel as though you guys get a higher percentage of murder from firearms than any other?..

Oh and an opinion on the gang comment, regardless of whether you've "signed up for it" or not, murder is murder.. being in a gang and it "coming with the territory" is not a viable justification for anyone apart from those gang members, right?
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Unfortunately they've turned it into a highly politicised issue so prople will never agree in the US.

Luckily in the UK and Australia they have support for common sense legislation accross the spectrum of political opinion.
Its pretty obvious that easy access to guns causes more deaths. You or me wouldnt have the slightest clue about how to get hold of a high powered firearm so those with social issues would have zero chance, hence why our countries have no issue with them.

(02-14-2018, 08:10 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Unfortunately they've turned it into a highly politicised issue so prople will never agree in the US.

Luckily in the UK and Australia they have support for common sense legislation accross the spectrum of political opinion.
Its pretty obvious that easy access to guns causes more deaths. You or me wouldnt have the slightest clue about how to get hold of a high powered firearm so those with social issues would have zero chance,  hence why our countries have no issue with them.

Evidence?

(02-14-2018, 08:50 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 08:10 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Unfortunately they've turned it into a highly politicised issue so prople will never agree in the US.

Its pretty obvious that easy access to guns causes more deaths. You or me wouldnt have the slightest clue about how to get hold of a high powered firearm so those with social issues would have zero chance,  hence why our countries have no issue with them.

Evidence?
Common sense.

(02-14-2018, 08:58 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 08:50 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Evidence?
Common sense.

So, no evidence?