Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Colts hire former Pats OC Josh McDaniels as head coach

While nobody will deny McDaniels is a scum bucket, this is the same franchise that kicked Manning to the curb with prime years remaining and left Baltimore in the middle if the night.

They have zero pity from this guy.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-07-2018, 12:16 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 11:55 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: Now they’ll pass on a blue chip QB on the hope that Luck returns healthy, but he comes back with an arm like Chad Pennington. Throw in a Gus Bradley or Jeff Fischer hire at HC, and it would nearly be as good as winning the Superbowl.

I'm wondering what the Colts do next. Logic suggests that they'll pick a safe, veteran option who's already familiar with the team, like Leslie Frazier or Scott Linehan (who already knows their DC). But, I mean, when has logic meant a thing to Jim Irsay? I wouldn't be shocked to see him swing for the fences by reaching for a bright prospect who isn't ready like Jim Bob Cooter or Brian Flores. Hey, with Flores, he could even stick it to the Patriots. But no, I don't think any of that happens.

I'm stupid for even saying it, and we should all be so lucky, but I think he drives a semi truck full of money up to Ann Arbor and drives it back with his former quarterback, Jim Harbaugh. It may well cost him Chris Ballard, but who cares, right? I mean, Ballard had Josh McDaniels lined up as the coach and couldn't close the deal, leaving the organization with egg all over its face in the process. And who else better is out there for fixing Andrew Luck than his old college coach?

I hope I'm right, because I really think that a Harbaugh/Irsay pairing would be a wonderfully spectacular failure. Two incredibly strong personalities, one on drugs, the other convinced he's God, and an overrated QB who may never play again caught in the middle. That'd be fun. Smile

I wouldn't touch that job with a 100 foot pole. Not because the job isn't enticing, but when you aren't able to hire your own assistant coaches who know the system you want to run, you start out at a huge disadvantage. They are gonna have a hard time finding someone who is willing to come into that type of situation. Not only did McDaniels screw Indy, he screwed the assistant coaches he hired. He's burned a ton of bridges in the NFL. If I were a GM, I'd blackball him from ever coming to my team.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 06:12 AM by Bullseye.)

(02-06-2018, 09:08 PM)3/4 Back Wrote: Or maybe he got told that the Patriots Head Coaching job will be open very soon.

This is what I'm thinking.

Maybe somehow Belichick is so upset regarding being forced to trade Garoppolo, he decided to quit at the last minute.

Perhaps this means McDaniels gets to coach Brady and still has a shot at a Super Bowl.

(02-06-2018, 09:33 PM)TJBender Wrote: On a serious note, this is why the NFL needs to take the prom dance out of it and just let teams hire coordinators during the playoffs. The Colts just got screwed by the rule. Like, hardcore X-rated two coaches one ball screwed.

On a lighter note,

[Image: tenor.gif]
I don't see how the Colts got screwed by the rule.

That rule didn't make McDaniels change his mind about taking the Colts job, nor did it force the Colts to commit to a guy who wasn't willing to commit to them for whatever reason.

(02-06-2018, 10:30 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 09:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
In the past 48 hours, Patriots owner Robert Kraft began talking with Josh McDaniels and ultimately wound up sweetening his contract, helping to entice him to remain in New England, per sources. Bill Belichick has his OC back.

The thread when he was announced as their head coach

http://forums.colts.com/topic/56155-its-...lis-colts/

and the thread when he stays in NE

http://forums.colts.com/topic/56178-mcda...cts-colts/

This is Great
It’s freaking hilarious! I feel that it’s the universe self correcting itself for them tanking in the “suck for  Luck” campaign. 20 years of f misery wouldn’t be enough for me.

I love that!

Laughing Banana

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 06:15 AM by Bullseye.)

(02-06-2018, 11:17 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 10:42 PM)FBT Wrote: I think this is probably the most likely scenario.   He's probably gotten some assurances that the job in NE is his when Belichick calls it a career.

Or he realized that working for Jim Irsay is going to be about as much fun as brain surgery without any anesthetic.

Somehow, Bill Murray's character from Little Shop of Horrors came to mind here.

Laughing

(02-06-2018, 11:20 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 10:53 PM)Treestone Ice Wrote: According to PFT, he simply chose to stay with the Patriots* with no such promise.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-patriots/

I mean, even if he has gotten promises, they're not going to publicly say so.

(02-06-2018, 11:17 PM)TJBender Wrote: Or he realized that working for Jim Irsay is going to be about as much fun as brain surgery without any anesthetic.

The brain has no pain receptors. So technically that's painless.

The skin, flesh, and bone/skull surrounding the brain have plenty.

(02-06-2018, 11:20 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 10:53 PM)Treestone Ice Wrote: According to PFT, he simply chose to stay with the Patriots* with no such promise.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-patriots/

I mean, even if he has gotten promises, they're not going to publicly say so.

(02-06-2018, 11:17 PM)TJBender Wrote: Or he realized that working for Jim Irsay is going to be about as much fun as brain surgery without any anesthetic.

The brain has no pain receptors. So technically that's painless.

It's not the destination, it's the journey to get there.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-07-2018, 12:59 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: While nobody will deny McDaniels is a scum bucket, this is the same franchise that kicked Manning to the curb with prime years remaining and left Baltimore in the middle if the night.

They have zero pity from this guy.
I mean the Manning thing is an odd one. No one knew if he was ever going to play again when he is fusing his spine together. They got lucky with Luck and decided to part ways. Can’t really blame them there.

Leaving Baltimore on the other hand..... not cool

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 09:05 AM by MoJagFan.)

Hopefully this marks the official passing of the pain train baton to Indy.  Well deserved.

[Image: failur_470.jpg]
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Hey Colts .... this guy is still on the market LOL

[Image: 091017c00utisu3619338948498_t1070_h16d10...452d78.jpg]

The twinks should go hire Gus Bradley. He'd have them back to sub-mediocrity in no time.

Seriously, I could see them hire a former Jags coach. Del Rio is looking for work.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(02-07-2018, 03:48 PM)FBT Wrote: The twinks should go hire Gus Bradley.  He'd have them back to sub-mediocrity in no time.

Seriously, I could see them hire a former Jags coach.  Del Rio is looking for work.

That would reek of a desperation move. It would be like saying, "We're screwed, we have no better options, we know it, so let's hire a guy who's just happy to be here." Kind of like every team that's ever hired Mike Mularkey. I don't see Jim Irsay being ok with that sort of hire after getting hosed by McDaniels. I just don't. The guy's got the second biggest ego in the owner's room after Jerry Jones. He's going to want to make a splash, and I think that splash is coaching in college right now. No available NFL coordinator or position coach, aside from maybe Frank Reich, would create the sort of splash that lets him sit there with a straight face and tell the press that he's glad McDaniels chickened out, because it let him get someone even better.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 05:26 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Can't believe his family passed this up -- cool post card !!!

[Image: city-indianapolis-750x375.jpg]

(02-07-2018, 05:08 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 03:48 PM)FBT Wrote: The twinks should go hire Gus Bradley.  He'd have them back to sub-mediocrity in no time.

Seriously, I could see them hire a former Jags coach.  Del Rio is looking for work.

That would reek of a desperation move. It would be like saying, "We're screwed, we have no better options, we know it, so let's hire a guy who's just happy to be here." Kind of like every team that's ever hired Mike Mularkey. I don't see Jim Irsay being ok with that sort of hire after getting hosed by McDaniels. I just don't. The guy's got the second biggest ego in the owner's room after Jerry Jones. He's going to want to make a splash, and I think that splash is coaching in college right now. No available NFL coordinator or position coach, aside from maybe Frank Reich, would create the sort of splash that lets him sit there with a straight face and tell the press that he's glad McDaniels chickened out, because it let him get someone even better.
Really any move they make now is a desperation move. They got totally hosed by the pats in the most public way possible and there’s no coming back from that. I’m thinking it’s Irsay’s ego that will keep good coaching candidates from seriously considering coming there. The franchise is a total mess from the top down, and frankly I’m thrilled about it.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 08:08 PM by Bullseye.)

The Colts are indicating they are switching to a 4-3 defense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...3-defense/

Putting aside the wisdom of such a move for the moment, I don't see how they can commit to this without having a coach.

In a best case scenario, they would be limited to those coaches who run a 4-3. By definition, their options in this renewed search would be limited.

What of these assistants? Will the new coach be obligated to keep them aboard? If so, for how long?

Apparently, McDaniels didn't want to work under Irsay.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/josh-...ching-job/

Couldn't he have figured this out before interviewing, or at least making promises upon which the Colts and these assistants apparently detrimentally relied?

(02-07-2018, 08:04 PM)Bullseye Wrote: The Colts are indicating they are switching to a 4-3 defense.

Putting aside the wisdom of such a move for the moment, I don't see how they can commit to this without having a coach.

In a best case scenario, they would be limited to those coaches who run a 4-3.  By definition, their options in this renewed search would be limited.

What of these assistants?  Will the new coach be obligated to keep them aboard?  If so, for how long?

Couldn't he have figured this out before interviewing, or at least making promises upon which the Colts and these assistants apparently detrimentally relied?

They may reach out to JDR for the HC job if they’re making that switch on defense. Wouldn’t surprise me.

I’m thinking this was a calculated move by the pats. What better way to get revenge on the franchise who blew the whistle on you and got your QB suspended? The pats basically pantsed the clots in front of the whole world and they’re probably going to get away with it. There’s no way anyone will be able prove it definitively either. The patriot way in a nutshell.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(02-07-2018, 08:59 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 08:04 PM)Bullseye Wrote: The Colts are indicating they are switching to a 4-3 defense.

In a best case scenario, they would be limited to those coaches who run a 4-3.  By definition, their options in this renewed search would be limited.

What of these assistants?  Will the new coach be obligated to keep them aboard?  If so, for how long?

They may reach out to JDR for the HC job if they’re making that switch on defense. Wouldn’t surprise me.

I’m thinking this was a calculated move by the pats. What better way to get revenge on the franchise who blew the whistle on you and got your QB suspended? The pats basically pantsed the clots in front of the whole world and they’re probably going to get away with it. There’s no way anyone will be able prove it definitively either. The patriot way in a nutshell.
Well...it may make some sense for the Colts to reach out to JDR, but there's still the issue of the assistants.  If JDR wants his guys on his staff, what happens to the assistants?  Would JDR or any coach be forced to fire assistants he'd rather keep, or keep assistants he'd rather not?

As far as the revenge thing, when it comes to McDaniels, were this some sort of ploy to get revenge on the Colts, it would be very short sighted of him.  Suppose he is promised the Patriots job after Belichick leaves in another year or two, and then he's fired like most coaches?  I don't think he'd get another chance as a head coach in the NFL, and I don't think many teams would hire him as an assistant.  Such a move could rub colleges in the wrong way too, so even if he decides to not coach int he NFL after this, colleges might be reluctant to pull the trigger to hire him too.

(02-07-2018, 09:09 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 08:59 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: They may reach out to JDR for the HC job if they’re making that switch on defense. Wouldn’t surprise me.

Well...it may make some sense for the Colts to reach out to JDR, but there's still the issue of the assistants.  If JDR wants his guys on his staff, what happens to the assistants?  Would JDR or any coach be forced to fire assistants he'd rather keep, or keep assistants he'd rather not?

As far as the revenge thing, when it comes to McDaniels, were this some sort of ploy to get revenge on the Colts, it would be very short sighted of him.  Suppose he is promised the Patriots job after Belichick leaves in another year or two, and then he's fired like most coaches?  I don't think he'd get another chance as a head coach in the NFL, and I don't think many teams would hire him as an assistant.  Such a move could rub colleges in the wrong way too, so even if he decides to not coach int he NFL after this, colleges might be reluctant to pull the trigger to hire him too.

I think that JDR would jump at the chance to take that job in its current state. Chances are he’ll end up firing half of his assistants after the first season whether he hired them or not. 

It may have been a shortsighted move by JMD, but he made $8mil at Denver. At 41 years old if he lives another 40 years that’s $200,000 a year to live on. If Robert Kraft put him up to it, I imagine he’s going to be well compensated hence the “sweetened deal”. JMD only has to have one owner in his corner and by the looks of it, Kraft is his man.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(02-07-2018, 09:09 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 08:59 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: They may reach out to JDR for the HC job if they’re making that switch on defense. Wouldn’t surprise me.

Just give JDR a year or two and he will fire them anyway. Being an assistant to JDR hasn't worked out for quite a few. Although it did for Mike Smith and the guy in Tampa now.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

I liked the quote from PFTcommentator that went something like:

“Irsay is gonna be pissed when he wakes up tomorrow afternoon.”
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

I saw they are interviewing Dan Campbell, which LOL, and someone else.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018, 10:19 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-08-2018, 07:01 AM)Treestone Ice Wrote: I saw they are interviewing Dan Campbell, which LOL, and someone else.

The other candidate they are interviewing is Frank Reich, former backup QB to Jim Kelly in Buffalo and the Eagles current OC. IMO, that would be a better hire than McDaniels. Just look what he has done elevating the QB play from his rookie starter and then getting his backup QB to lead them to a championship. Reich is one of the rising assistant coaches in the league, but why would he wanna take that job? If I were him, I'd stay in Philly and wait for a better job where he can hire his own assistants.