Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why is Grant not #2 back?

(02-08-2018, 11:18 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 01:47 PM)Inziladun Wrote: We should bring in Kelvin Taylor to played no. 4 RB. Kid has been floating around the league since he got drafted.

That's because he's not very good...

Should still sign him to a one day contract at least so he can retire a Jag. LOL.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Grant is an ERFA, he cant be the #2 back until hes actually signed. Also while this past season he was brilliant, he has had fumbling issues in his tenure here and needs to clean up some of the mental errors in pass blocking. I do agree they need to utilize him more, that speed is just too potent a weapon!!
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(02-08-2018, 01:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 01:04 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Assuming #4 would be behind Fournette, Grant, and Yeldon, I say we need to get a power RB (e.g. run between the tackles type guy) to fill in for Fournette when he goes through his injury phases of sitting out ~ 4 games per season.

If we go with a RB in the late rounds, I really like John Kelly out of Tennessee.

UF's Jordan Scarlett was a top recruit out S. Florida that may have a lot of upside.

I like Rashad Penny but he'll probably go in the third. Too early for us to take a RB. 

Kalen Ballage and Jordan Chunn are good late round prospects to keep an eye on for the Ivory replacement role. Both need some coaching up but have some good traits.

There should be several power backs available after the draft as UDFA's. No need to draft a guy who would likely be 4th on the depth chart.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018, 07:12 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-06-2018, 01:34 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 12:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Yes but your argument is that he didn't show you anything running the ball. Well that's because they never really used him as a runner.

When they did use him as a runner, he was effective. 

Ivory will be gone so that's good. I think they stick with Fournette, Yeldon and Grant. Run more RPO next season if Blake is back.

This team has more needs at TE, Guard and WR. They don't need to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a RB when they used the #4 overall on Fournette. Yeldon and Grant will do just fine next year.

I agree that we absolutely could look at TE, G and WR. But a lot of that is based on what the team does during free agency. Don't forget we're getting Mychal Rivera back this year. And they still have to figure out what they're going to do with Allen Robinson. If they let Marqise Lee walk we'll still have Hurns, Cole and Westbrook and I am hoping Robinson. 

G is interesting. I like Omameh. Not a big fan of Cann. But I think if they're able to find another dynamic back. They should pull the trigger on him. I like Fournette but I am still concerned with his injuries. And if they're going to continue to lean on him in 2018 like they did in 2017 they need to consider bringing in another heavy hitter with break away speed. Michel and Chubb offer that.

In our list of offseason needs, I would put RB at the very bottom.   TE, OL, WR, NB, S, LB, backup QB, would all take precedence for me.

(02-20-2018, 07:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 01:34 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I agree that we absolutely could look at TE, G and WR. But a lot of that is based on what the team does during free agency. Don't forget we're getting Mychal Rivera back this year. And they still have to figure out what they're going to do with Allen Robinson. If they let Marqise Lee walk we'll still have Hurns, Cole and Westbrook and I am hoping Robinson. 

G is interesting. I like Omameh. Not a big fan of Cann. But I think if they're able to find another dynamic back. They should pull the trigger on him. I like Fournette but I am still concerned with his injuries. And if they're going to continue to lean on him in 2018 like they did in 2017 they need to consider bringing in another heavy hitter with break away speed. Michel and Chubb offer that.

In our list of offseason needs, I would put RB at the very bottom.   TE, OL, WR, NB, S, LB, backup QB, would all take precedence for me.
Agree, especially if we resign Grant

Thought the under-utilization of Grant in AFC championship was inexcusable. He had 77 yards in total offense in 1st half. Nothing in 2nd half.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018, 05:22 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-21-2018, 01:59 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: Thought the under-utilization of Grant in AFC championship was inexcusable.  He had 77 yards in total offense in 1st half.  Nothing in 2nd half.

Everything that worked in the 1st half, we went away from it in the 2nd half

Instead of playing not to win, it was more like they were playing to lose

(02-21-2018, 05:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 01:59 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: Thought the under-utilization of Grant in AFC championship was inexcusable.  He had 77 yards in total offense in 1st half.  Nothing in 2nd half.

Everything that worked in the 1st half, we went away from it in the 2nd half

Agreed.

(02-21-2018, 05:59 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 05:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Everything that worked in the 1st half, we went away from it in the 2nd half

Agreed.

I will never understand our coaches thought process for that game.  Go away from everything that worked in the first half and play as safe as possible against the best QB and coach of all time.

(02-21-2018, 09:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 05:59 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: Agreed.

I will never understand our coaches thought process for that game.  Go away from everything that worked in the first half and play as safe as possible against the best QB and coach of all time.

On both sides of the ball too.  Hopefully they learned their lesson.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(02-19-2018, 07:45 PM)Firesky Wrote: Grant is an ERFA, he cant be the #2 back until hes actually signed. Also while this past season he was brilliant, he has had fumbling issues in his tenure here and needs to clean up some of the mental errors in pass blocking. I do agree they need to utilize him more, that speed is just too potent a weapon!!

ERFAs always re-sign unless the team just doesn't want them anymore so no worries there.

We always knew Grant had the speed, but he's been thought of as a scat back with no real power. Well, this past season I saw him playing with some power as well.

'02

Grant will end up getting the #2 spot, even with Yeldon staying. He's just got more homerun ability.

It all started a few years ago against Indy. When he went for over 100 yards when Yeldon only did it like twice.

(02-06-2018, 12:30 PM)KingJones Wrote: Fournette and Ivory are both power backs and Yeldon just hasn't proven anything since he's been here.  Grant would be a great compliment to Fournette as he's great coming of the screens and out in flat which we run a lot.  Yet we barely see him at all.  Last game against Pats he was torching them first half and then they just take him out???  Is there a reason why he's not playing more?

Obviously, a number two running back is second and receives a few less carries than a number one back. The third back even fewer.

Every carry a running back makes takes a toll on his body. Thus, a number one RB has to be the most durable guy in the unit. 

John Riggins is probably the best example of the price you pay carrying the football. After a game on Sunday, Riggins would lay on the floor at his house unable to get up. By Wednesday he could walk again. By game time on Sunday, with the help of adrenaline, he was ready to bang himself up all over again. During practices, Riggins hid himself in the Redskins' field house. 

You can examine former Tennessee Oiler/Titan RB, Eddie George. The guy was the most physically gifted back you might ever see, yet it was basically all over for him in eight years. He played one last year in Dallas, but he had nothing left in him. 

Grant is an exceptionally talented running back. What prevents him from becoming a number two back is size. He is fine and healthy as a third back, but if you increase his carries he is going to taper off in production due to the physical challenge of the position.

Vince Lombardi always told his players, "if you are going to play this game professionally, ya gotta pay the price."

(02-22-2018, 05:39 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 12:30 PM)KingJones Wrote: Fournette and Ivory are both power backs and Yeldon just hasn't proven anything since he's been here.  Grant would be a great compliment to Fournette as he's great coming of the screens and out in flat which we run a lot.  Yet we barely see him at all.  Last game against Pats he was torching them first half and then they just take him out???  Is there a reason why he's not playing more?

Obviously, a number two running back is second and receives a few less carries than a number one back. The third back even fewer.

Every carry a running back makes takes a toll on his body. Thus, a number one RB has to be the most durable guy in the unit. 

John Riggins is probably the best example of the price you pay carrying the football. After a game on Sunday, Riggins would lay on the floor at his house unable to get up. By Wednesday he could walk again. By game time on Sunday, with the help of adrenaline, he was ready to bang himself up all over again. During practices, Riggins hid himself in the Redskins' field house. 

You can examine former Tennessee Oiler/Titan RB, Eddie George. The guy was the most physically gifted back you might ever see, yet it was basically all over for him in eight years. He played one last year in Dallas, but he had nothing left in him. 

Grant is an exceptionally talented running back. What prevents him from becoming a number two back is size. He is fine and healthy as a third back, but if you increase his carries he is going to taper off in production due to the physical challenge of the position.

Vince Lombardi always told his players, "if you are going to play this game professionally, ya gotta pay the price."

Grant is ready for more carries. A starting role might be too much for him to handle, but he's ready for a #2 RB load. 

'02

(02-22-2018, 06:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [quote pid='1106552' dateline='1519292397']
JUNGLECAT2017 wrote:

Grant is ready for more carries. A starting role might be too much for him to handle, but he's ready for a #2 RB load. 

[/quote]

I agree. 

I think the team will probably use a committee behind Fournette again, but I think Grant could handle the #2 role if they indeed went that way.

(02-22-2018, 06:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 05:39 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Obviously, a number two running back is second and receives a few less carries than a number one back. The third back even fewer.

You want Grant to justify getting rid of T. J. Yeldon. You want to get rid of Yeldon to weaken the power running game to the point the Jaguars are reliant upon Blake Bortles.

(02-22-2018, 03:52 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 06:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

You want Grant to justify getting rid of T. J. Yeldon. You want to get rid of Yeldon to weaken the power running game to the point the Jaguars are reliant upon Blake Bortles.

Yeldon is the third down back. No one is trying to get rid of him in this scenario. 
Grant would be the primary spellback and C.O.P. guy. Yeldon would be the third down back and share in some spell duty. 

You don't have to get rid of Yeldon to utilize Grant more. Ivory is likely gone anyway, Grant would just get most of the carries he was getting. 

This has nothing to do with Bortles besides providing him with more production from the run game.