Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why is Grant not #2 back?

I don't watch enough college football. Anyone in the draft a Tavian Banks type?
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Grant really should be used much more. I understand the initial hesitation because he's smaller, etc, but he's now running with power as well.

Get him out there!
'02

I would like to see them use Grant more, the way the skins used Chris Thompson until he got hurt.

It's highly effective when you can stretch the opposing defense out. That needs to happen for Fournette's sake as well as future playcalling's sake. This whole "power the ball through the middle of the crowd' stuff needs to be reduced this next season.

(02-06-2018, 04:13 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Grant really should be used much more. I understand the initial hesitation because he's smaller, etc, but he's now running with power as well.

Get him out there!

5'11" 203 lbs. is not all that small. IMO, he is the perfect size for a speed/receiving back. He's small compared to Ivory and Fournette, but those guys are bigger than your average running backs.

I dont know if it's just me, but I'm a big fan of TJ Yeldon, great blocker, good catching the ball and with a good Oline is a good runner. I think he's a good Nr 2.

I dont know if it's just me, but i'd like to see more 2 RB sets with Yeldon and Grant when we're spelling Fournette.

Ivory for me should be cut, bad hands and is costing a fair amount.

(02-06-2018, 04:23 PM)Dockerill91 Wrote: I dont know if it's just me, but I'm a big fan of TJ Yeldon, great blocker, good catching the ball and with a good Oline is a good runner. I think he's a good  Nr 2.

I dont know if it's just me, but i'd like to see more 2 RB sets with Yeldon and Grant when we're spelling Fournette.

Ivory for me should be cut, bad hands and is costing a fair amount.

This season, my expectations of TJ Yeldon were extremely low so I found my self liking him better because his play exceeded my expectations.  That said, and forgetting that he's a very high 2nd round pick, I think he's a good role player that can make some plays and is smart enough to pickup blitzes.  I like him long term as a $2m/year role player.

Ivory will not be brought back.

I love Grant as a change of pace back, reminding me of a developing Darren Sproles-type. He'll get more reps next season. Unfortunately, he lacks pass pro skills and power that has limited him. His strength as a runner has gotten better, but still below that of an average starter.

Yeldon is a swiss army knife, a versatile back with good pass pro skills in 3rd down situations.

Fournette will continue to develop and get better in the NFL; he just needs to stay healthy. He could use a backup, and these type of RBs can be found in the later rounds.

(02-06-2018, 06:46 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Ivory will not be brought back.  

I love Grant as a change of pace back, reminding me of a developing Darren Sproles-type.  He'll get more reps next season.  Unfortunately, he lacks pass pro skills and power that has limited him.  His strength as a runner has gotten better, but still below that of an average starter.  

Yeldon is a swiss army knife, a versatile back with good pass pro skills in 3rd down situations.  

Fournette will continue to develop and get better in the NFL; he just needs to stay healthy.  He could use a backup, and these type of RBs can be found in the later rounds.

Exactly

(02-06-2018, 01:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've wondered about this for a long time now. Grant is electric, every time he touches the ball. He has proven time and time again, he is our big play weapon on offense and we barely ever use him. Why?

Bro, I started a "Grant" thread last year, on the old board...and I got straight up wham-boozled for saying we need to play Grant more.

I agree though. Grant needs the ball more. He has Ty Hill type ability. He is full speed as soon as he catches the ball. And he can outrun everybody on defens, once he gets an open hole.

Grant has done enough to be RB2.

I don't think the "RB2" label means much in this offense. Even when riding Fournette, we've seen this year that Marrone is going to get all of his backs involved.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 05:04 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-07-2018, 04:55 PM)TJBender Wrote: I don't think the "RB2" label means much in this offense. Even when riding Fournette, we've seen this year that Marrone is going to get all of his backs involved.

Until the 2nd half when the game is on the line then it's Fournette Up The Middle for 1 yard, rinse and repeat.   So yes, I guess the label "RB2" really doesn't mean a thing.

(02-07-2018, 04:33 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 01:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've wondered about this for a long time now. Grant is electric, every time he touches the ball. He has proven time and time again, he is our big play weapon on offense and we barely ever use him. Why?

Bro, I started a "Grant" thread last year, on the old board...and I got straight up wham-boozled for saying we need to play Grant more.

I agree though. Grant needs the ball more. He has Ty Hill type ability. He is full speed as soon as he catches the ball. And he can outrun everybody on defens, once he gets an open hole.

Grant has done enough to be RB2.

Except block.  That is an issue.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

I thought Yeldon was great in his role for us this season. I would assume that Grant will get some of Ivory's snaps next season.

I can see us drafting a 4th RB as well.

What traits should we target if we do?
'02

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018, 01:12 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-08-2018, 12:42 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I can see us drafting a 4th RB as well.

Assuming #4 would be behind Fournette, Grant, and Yeldon, I say we need to get a power RB (e.g. run between the tackles type guy) to fill in for Fournette when he goes through his injury phases of sitting out ~ 4 games per season.

If we go with a RB in the late rounds, I really like John Kelly out of Tennessee.

UF's Jordan Scarlett was a top recruit out S. Florida that may have a lot of upside.

(02-08-2018, 01:04 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 12:42 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I can see us drafting a 4th RB as well.

Assuming #4 would be behind Fournette, Grant, and Yeldon, I say we need to get a power RB (e.g. run between the tackles type guy) to fill in for Fournette when he goes through his injury phases of sitting out ~ 4 games per season.

If we go with a RB in the late rounds, I really like John Kelly out of Tennessee.

UF's Jordan Scarlett was a top recruit out S. Florida that may have a lot of upside.

I like Rashad Penny but he'll probably go in the third. Too early for us to take a RB. 

Kalen Ballage and Jordan Chunn are good late round prospects to keep an eye on for the Ivory replacement role. Both need some coaching up but have some good traits.

We should bring in Kelvin Taylor to played no. 4 RB. Kid has been floating around the league since he got drafted.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018, 08:46 PM by TheSchmidt.)

team needs to stop wasting assets on running backs.

Wasted a ton of money on Ivory, fourth overall on Fournette, and a 2nd rounder on Yeldon.

Grant is the most explosive and dangerous of any of them and was UDFA

(02-08-2018, 01:47 PM)Inziladun Wrote: We should bring in Kelvin Taylor to played no. 4 RB. Kid has been floating around the league since he got drafted.

That's because he's not very good...

(02-06-2018, 12:30 PM)KingJones Wrote: Fournette and Ivory are both power backs and Yeldon just hasn't proven anything since he's been here.  Grant would be a great compliment to Fournette as he's great coming of the screens and out in flat which we run a lot.  Yet we barely see him at all.  Last game against Pats he was torching them first half and then they just take him out???  Is there a reason why he's not playing more?

I absolutely disagree that Yeldon has not shown anything...that being said, Grant has been woefully underutilized.  I am very comfortable going into next season with Fournette, Yeldon and Grant.  Hopefully they will continue to utilize Grant more as they did in the first half of the Pat game.  We need Guards, TE and another QB in FA and draft.