Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What is your Investment Strategys and Returns.

So in the stock market post I saw a couple people, me included, making posts about their investment strategy. I want to see what the rest of you are doing who have been at it longer than me and whats working for you. Maybe I can steal some tricks. Smile

I look forward to seeing what people here are doing, as we have such a broad range on the board.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-07-2018, 11:41 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: So in the stock market post I saw a couple people, me included, making posts about their investment strategy. I want to see what the rest of you are doing who have been at it longer than me and whats working for you. Maybe I can steal some tricks. Smile

I look forward to seeing what people here are doing, as we have such a broad range on the board.

I choose a stock I think will benefit from changes in government rules.

Then I watch it go down while every other stock is rising.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(02-07-2018, 10:24 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 11:41 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: So in the stock market post I saw a couple people, me included, making posts about their investment strategy. I want to see what the rest of you are doing who have been at it longer than me and whats working for you. Maybe I can steal some tricks. Smile

I choose a stock I think will benefit from changes in government rules.

How long have you been doing this? Has it ever worked out long term? I feel like depending on government to make a business competitive is usually a losing strategy.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(02-07-2018, 10:30 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 10:24 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:  I choose a stock I think will benefit from changes in government rules.

How long have you been doing this? Has it ever worked out long term? I feel like depending on government to make a business competitive is usually a losing strategy.

*cough*unitedhealthcarestock2010*cough cough*
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 11:09 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(02-07-2018, 11:04 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 10:30 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: How long have you been doing this? Has it ever worked out long term? I feel like depending on government to make a business competitive is usually a losing strategy.

*cough*unitedhealthcarestock2010*cough cough*

Good call. I don't pay enough attention to my own field apparently in the market, I am in love with energy.

The real question tho: did you buy it?
And how did other insurance do?

My investment team of Rocko and Vinny have done very well. You got a problem with that?

(02-07-2018, 11:08 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 11:04 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: *cough*unitedhealthcarestock2010*cough cough*

Good call. I don't pay enough attention to my own field apparently in the market, I am in love with energy.

The real question tho: did you buy it?
And how did other insurance do?

Yes. Almost all health insurance stocks benefited from the ACA, either through growth or being acquired by larger companies.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

There are no tricks.   If you try to beat the market, odds are very heavy that you will fail.   I learned that a long time ago. 

My strategy for the stock market is to buy index funds and hold them forever.  Never sell.   Go play golf.   It works really well.  

When you gamble, the most likely winner is the house.  So don't play that game.   Don't trade, don't time the market, don't let anyone tell you they can beat the market, and don't think you can beat the market. 

No one ever believes this, so go ahead and lose some money, but just think about what you're doing and what you want to do with your life.

I have a retirement plan through work that is employee matched at a fairly high percentage.

I'm in my mid 20s and consider myself a fiscally responsible person. I bought my first house about 5 years ago, did some work to it, flipped it for some gain and bought a 2nd home that will be more longterm for me. Now that I have that settled in I have focused into investing again.

I recently started doing some day trading (more for fun and trying to learn my way around) and I have had an interest in the market since I was in middle school. Now my focus is turning to mutual funds that I can do as Marty has done.

I enjoy day trading but it really is a high risk situation unless you buy the true and proven few. If a stock doesn't pay me a consistent dividend I'm not interested.

(02-08-2018, 12:44 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: I have a retirement plan through work that is employee matched at a fairly high percentage.  

I'm in my mid 20s and consider myself a fiscally responsible person.  I bought my first house about 5 years ago, did some work to it, flipped it for some gain and bought a 2nd home that will be more longterm for me.  Now that I have that settled in I have focused into investing again.

I recently started doing some day trading (more for fun and trying to learn my way around) and I have had an interest in the market since I was in middle school.  Now my focus is turning to mutual funds that I can do as Marty has done.  

I enjoy day trading but it really is a high risk situation unless you buy the true and proven few.  If a stock doesn't pay me a consistent dividend I'm not interested.

Don't buy a managed mutual fund.   Those carry management fees.  You'd be amazed how 1% a year adds up over a lifetime.   Buy unmanaged index funds.

(02-08-2018, 03:14 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 12:44 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: I have a retirement plan through work that is employee matched at a fairly high percentage.  

I'm in my mid 20s and consider myself a fiscally responsible person.  I bought my first house about 5 years ago, did some work to it, flipped it for some gain and bought a 2nd home that will be more longterm for me.  Now that I have that settled in I have focused into investing again.

I recently started doing some day trading (more for fun and trying to learn my way around) and I have had an interest in the market since I was in middle school.  Now my focus is turning to mutual funds that I can do as Marty has done.  

I enjoy day trading but it really is a high risk situation unless you buy the true and proven few.  If a stock doesn't pay me a consistent dividend I'm not interested.

Don't buy a managed mutual fund.   Those carry management fees.  You'd be amazed how 1% a year adds up over a lifetime.   Buy unmanaged index funds.

I presently do both and before long will end the managed mutual fund and do everything on my own. I was new to investing but learning more and more as I go.

(02-08-2018, 03:36 PM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 03:14 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Don't buy a managed mutual fund.   Those carry management fees.  You'd be amazed how 1% a year adds up over a lifetime.   Buy unmanaged index funds.

I presently do both and before long will end the managed mutual fund and do everything on my own. I was new to investing but learning more and more as I go.

I know I'm being argumentative, but there's nothing to learn.  If you think you can do better by learning, you are setting yourself up for failure.  Just buy an unmanaged S&P500 index fund and forget about it.   Trying to use your brain in the stock market will only damage your results.

(02-08-2018, 03:52 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 03:36 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: I presently do both and before long will end the managed mutual fund and do everything on my own. I was new to investing but learning more and more as I go.

I know I'm being argumentative, but there's nothing to learn.  If you think you can do better by learning, you are setting yourself up for failure.  Just buy an unmanaged S&P500 index fund and forget about it.   Trying to use your brain in the stock market will only damage your results.

I'm new into the investing game and I appreciate the advice. I literally just began purchisng mutual funds at the advice of someone else. I have intentions on buying index funds and had an eye on a few ETFs.  I have more free income now and intend on investing versus throwing it into a savings account to yield little interest.

I've only recently really begun to understand the differences in mutual funds, etfs, index funds etc.

I regret not starting earlier too but now is better than never.

How do you purchase your index funds?

I'm not attempting to overthink anything and I really do appreciate advice and discussing it.

(02-08-2018, 05:40 PM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 03:52 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I know I'm being argumentative, but there's nothing to learn.  If you think you can do better by learning, you are setting yourself up for failure.  Just buy an unmanaged S&P500 index fund and forget about it.   Trying to use your brain in the stock market will only damage your results.

I'm new into the investing game and I appreciate the advice. I literally just began purchisng mutual funds at the advice of someone else. I have intentions on buying index funds and had an eye on a few ETFs.  I have more free income now and intend on investing versus throwing it into a savings account to yield little interest.

I've only recently really begun to understand the differences in mutual funds, etfs, index funds etc.

I'm not attempting to overthink anything and I really do appreciate advice and discussing it.

The first step is to select a broker and open up one or more accounts (depending on what you want to do).  I personally use Fidelity, but there are other options.  I have both a Roth IRA and a Traditional IRA as well as a cash account with them.

My advice is to stick with ETF's rather than mutual funds.  ETF's are similar to mutual funds, but they trade like a stock, and depending on the ETF carry far fewer costs.  For the most part, The advice that TRM gave you about getting an index fund could be done via ETF.  As an example SPY is an ETF that follows the S&P 500 index.  An option that I use is buying IVV through Fidelity instead which is the same thing, but trades commission free.

There are also many sector based and "specialty" ETF's that you could trade in.  As an example, I bought several shares of ITA which specializes in aerospace and defense back in November of 2016 (right after the election).  So far my return to-date on those shares is up 36.98% as of today.  I've added more throughout last year with my most recent purchase November 15, 2017 and those shares are currently up 6.25% as of today.  That's not a bad 90 day return.

If you are investing for retirement, I suggest opening up both a Traditional and a Roth IRA.  Both have significant tax advantages.  On the other hand, if you are investing for savings, keep in mind that any gains that you make will be subject to capital gains taxes when you sell your investment.

One last piece of advice that I would give you is to invest for the long term.  Sure some people are successful day trading, but more often than not people that trade frequently end up either losing money or make horrible gains.

I am by no means a financial adviser, I'm just sharing my strategy that has worked for me.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-08-2018, 07:21 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 05:40 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: I'm new into the investing game and I appreciate the advice. I literally just began purchisng mutual funds at the advice of someone else. I have intentions on buying index funds and had an eye on a few ETFs.  I have more free income now and intend on investing versus throwing it into a savings account to yield little interest.

The first step is to select a broker and open up one or more accounts (depending on what you want to do).  I personally use Fidelity, but there are other options.  I have both a Roth IRA and a Traditional IRA as well as a cash account with them.

My advice is to stick with ETF's rather than mutual funds.  ETF's are similar to mutual funds, but they trade like a stock, and depending on the ETF carry far fewer costs.  For the most part, The advice that TRM gave you about getting an index fund could be done via ETF.  As an example SPY is an ETF that follows the S&P 500 index.  An option that I use is buying IVV through Fidelity instead which is the same thing, but trades commission free.

There are also many sector based and "specialty" ETF's that you could trade in.  As an example, I bought several shares of ITA which specializes in aerospace and defense back in November of 2016 (right after the election).  So far my return to-date on those shares is up 36.98% as of today.  I've added more throughout last year with my most recent purchase November 15, 2017 and those shares are currently up 6.25% as of today.  That's not a bad 90 day return.

If you are investing for retirement, I suggest opening up both a Traditional and a Roth IRA.  Both have significant tax advantages.  On the other hand, if you are investing for savings, keep in mind that any gains that you make will be subject to capital gains taxes when you sell your investment.

One last piece of advice that I would give you is to invest for the long term.  Sure some people are successful day trading, but more often than not people that trade frequently end up either losing money or make horrible gains.

I am by no means a financial adviser, I'm just sharing my strategy that has worked for me.

Thanks JIB. I enjoy hearing from others about this and you certainly have more experience than I do.

I have started looking at Fidelity and other options. Do you have any thoughts on Vanguard?

My current retirement through my employer is a solid plan which includes my employer matching a high percentage. I don't want to rely on that, however, and any serious investing or ETF/index purchasing would be done with long term gains in mind.  I do well enough with savings. For my area I make a good income and that has allowed me to pay cash for many things without needing to take out a loan.

When I mentioned the day trading I only dabbled in trading mostly penny stocks just for kicks. I didn't make much money but I didn't intend to.

I have seen you mention ITA and have been watching that one.

ETF's are where I've been leaning. I simply need to move forward either choosing an avenue to purchase them and make the decision on which to start with.

I named the smartest finance guy I know Godfather to my child and then argued it was his duty to help set him up with a strong financial portfolio. 

Somehow I benefit as well  Big Grin

I also trade farm knowledge for finance knowledge with a local hedge fund smart guy. Both great strategies as far as I’m concerned haha

(02-08-2018, 07:58 PM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 07:21 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The first step is to select a broker and open up one or more accounts (depending on what you want to do).  I personally use Fidelity, but there are other options.  I have both a Roth IRA and a Traditional IRA as well as a cash account with them.

Thanks JIB. I enjoy hearing from others about this and you certainly have more experience than I do.

I have started looking at Fidelity and other options. Do you have any thoughts on Vanguard?

My current retirement through my employer is a solid plan which includes my employer matching a high percentage. I don't want to rely on that, however, and any serious investing or ETF/index purchasing would be done with long term gains in mind.  I do well enough with savings. For my area I make a good income and that has allowed me to pay cash for many things without needing to take out a loan.

When I mentioned the day trading I only dabbled in trading mostly penny stocks just for kicks. I didn't make much money but I didn't intend to.

ETF's are where I've been leaning. I simply need to move forward either choosing an avenue to purchase them and make the decision on which to start with.

I really like Vanguard because they have very easy to understand funds but I feel that Fidelity and ETrade are both solid as well. I believe both of the latter allow you to attach a checking/saving account as well. I know Charles Schwab does. I also like a newer one called Motif but they’re much less established if that’s a concern.

(02-08-2018, 08:31 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 07:58 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: Thanks JIB. I enjoy hearing from others about this and you certainly have more experience than I do.

I really like Vanguard because they have very easy to understand funds but I feel that Fidelity and ETrade are both solid as well. I believe both of the latter allow you to attach a checking/saving account as well. I know Charles Schwab does. I also like a newer one called Motif but they’re much less established if that’s a concern.

What is the view on Vanguard funds vs say an index fund? It is my understanding that Vanguard can create its own deals similar to Warren Buffett and that is what allows it to outperform the market, (i.e. like Buffett getting a huge amount of BoA when it was down in a backroom deal, and everyone scrambling to follow as the stock shot up). I am curious what you others think on the benefit/cost ratio of having big players funds.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018, 08:46 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

...here's my 2 cents .....

1) Work your [BLEEP] off to maintain employment.  That's the #1 key that trumps everything else.

2) invest in 401k up to the value that your employer will match.

#1 and #2 above are the keys to stability  ....

3) Real Estate -- this will not be as lucrative as it was from 1995-2002 when we invested in Ponte Vedra and Sarasota.  Still, Orlando and Jacksonville are still on the rise (see link below where they are ranked #1 and #3 respectively).  Buy the lowest price home in a good neighborhood and A-Rated School District.  The Northerners moving down love good clean neighborhoods with good school districts for their kids.  They have money and will pay top rent.  The baby boomers are now starting to retire so the influx people to Jax and Orlando is only beginning -- the recession delayed the population  growth by ~ 10 years.

4) Random Income -- I sell a lot on ticketmaster resale and stubhub.  Keep an eye for shows in high demand.  I buy and sell on shows throughout the country (especially the NYC shows where people have $$).  It's getting more difficult through ticketmaster though since pre-sale tix seem to be sold out prior to ever hitting the market (example -- U2 in Los Angeles --- I was on there forever only to get shut out of securing any tix -- it sucked but i had nothing to lose but a lot to gain had i gotten through).

5) Stock Market -- Unfortunately, I never did direct transactions.  My only benefit is experienced indirectly via the booming 401k return on investments (ROIs)

BEST PLACES TO INVEST IN REAL ESTATE IN 2018 -- ORLANDO #1 and JACKSONVILLE #3
https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthasha...579bd7627e

(02-07-2018, 11:08 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:  I am in love with energy.

Every year I simply google "top investment for [insert new year here]" and last year one of the tops was energy.  Amazing how much $ one can make simply by googling questions and reading what the financial experts say.