Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If not Blake, who is your choice?

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018, 12:26 PM by Cleatwood.)

(02-08-2018, 11:33 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 11:29 AM)Upper Wrote: And there ya go. That's why Blake is third option at best. If we get Cousins we don't have to "and see if", we know we are getting better. If "and see if" turns out to not be true we just wasted a year of our prime window and we're back at square 1 of no franchise QB. It's crazy that so many people are willing to risk that when there are clear upgrade options out there.

If you could tell me that if we take that risk then we could get a franchise QB for half the price for a long time then ok maybe that's a fair gamble to take. But the reward for taking that risk is literally only that we get Blake for ~10 million cheaper for one whopping season, and then he is just as expensive as Cousins is. That reward is simply not even close to worth the risk for anyone that can do a proper cost benefit analysis. Sorry.

That's where we different because you actually think Kirk Cousins is a franchise quarterback when the evidence say otherwise especially when he can't carry his team into the playoffs. True franchise quarterback can do that under the same circumstances but Kirk Cousins hasn't shown he can do those things especially in clutch moments.
I don't think he said Cousins is a franchise QB. There is only like 3 or 4 in the whole league. And that means, a QB who can lead their team to the playoffs with little help.

There a plenty of very good QBs who, if put in the right situation, can lead their team to a title. I think Cousins is one of those QBs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-08-2018, 11:40 AM)Upper Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 11:33 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: That's where we different because you actually think Kirk Cousins is a franchise quarterback when the evidence say otherwise especially when he can't carry his team into the playoffs. True franchise quarterback can do that under the same circumstances but Kirk Cousins hasn't shown he can do those things especially in clutch moments.

Cousins has 4 straight years of being across the board above average to well above average. This has been well chronicled also. He dragged a team just as bad as the Jags supporting cast the previous three years to a .500 record, while Blake led us to 3 straight top 5 picks. We've been overall all of this with detail. If you refuse to look at the evidence that has been shown many times there's no point in even bothering having a discussion.

Your above average play is based on cherry picked stats. When we were losing and ppl showed stats that BB5 improving and getting better, you Anyonebutblake ppl said its not about stats its about wins and BB5 did not have a winning record. Well low and behold he has a winning record and was 8 mins from being in the SB and most likely winning it. Now your saying its not about wins its about stats.Yall need to make up your mind.
Cousins  0/2 playoff wins
BB5       2/3 playoff wins

(02-08-2018, 10:26 AM)SodaCityJag14 Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 10:20 AM)Spots Wrote: FA: Drew Brees, Jimmy Garappolo (doubtful as he will definitely be signed by the 49ers)
DR: Josh Allen

JMHO

Agree that those are the only two FA that would give us a legitimate upgrade. I'm not sure about Josh Allen based on the fact that he was incredibly inefficient against the few quality defenses that he faced in college.
If we are talking about our current window, then I do not think there would be a draft pick that would be considered an immediate upgrade. A veteran QB who has "been there, done that" would be the right upgrade. Brees, Manning (either one), Foles, maybe Brady will have a fallout with the organization. But Bortles did not do a bad job against the Steelers. And against the Patriots you can see the coaches played scared/conservative to hang on to the lead. The only way to beat the Patriots was to keep the pedal to the metal and BURY them alive to prevent any sort of comeback. But hey, what do I know, I'm not the coach. But I wouldn't play scared, either. Doug Pederson did it right. He brought everything to the table, took his chances and held nothing back. At least if he lost he would know deep down he definitely did his best.
[Image: je8Z3fs.gif]

I would keep Blake and try my best to move up for Mayfield.

I don't see any chance of us replacing Blake with a vet QB unless it is through a trade for someone under contract. It is way too irresponsible to cut Blake and gamble that something equivalent can be found in FA. If you don't land Cousins, you are pretty much [BLEEP].

(02-08-2018, 11:55 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 11:40 AM)Upper Wrote: Cousins has 4 straight years of being across the board above average to well above average. This has been well chronicled also. He dragged a team just as bad as the Jags supporting cast the previous three years to a .500 record, while Blake led us to 3 straight top 5 picks. We've been overall all of this with detail. If you refuse to look at the evidence that has been shown many times there's no point in even bothering having a discussion.

Your above average play is based on cherry picked stats. When we were losing and ppl showed stats that BB5 improving and getting better, you Anyonebutblake ppl said its not about stats its about wins and BB5 did not have a winning record. Well low and behold he has a winning record and was 8 mins from being in the SB and most likely winning it. Now your saying its not about wins its about stats.Yall need to make up your mind.
And if the defense doesn't hold the Bills to 3 points, BB5 is 0/1.

Cousins can improve this team. He would be playing with an elite defense which allows him to get more possessions. He would be playing behind a better OLine and a have a better running game.

It's not that people hate Blake because I don't.... at all. I'm saying this team can improve the QB position with Cousins.

(02-08-2018, 12:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 11:55 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Your above average play is based on cherry picked stats. When we were losing and ppl showed stats that BB5 improving and getting better, you Anyonebutblake ppl said its not about stats its about wins and BB5 did not have a winning record. Well low and behold he has a winning record and was 8 mins from being in the SB and most likely winning it. Now your saying its not about wins its about stats.Yall need to make up your mind.

Cousins can improve this team. He would be playing with an elite defense which allows him to get more possessions. He would be playing behind a better OLine and a have a better running game.

It's not that people hate Blake because I don't.... at all. I'm saying this team can improve the QB position with Cousins.

My good man you keep holding your head on Blake Bortles performance against the Buffalo Bills and yes the defense did its job and held the bills to three points but where was that same defense when they gave a 42 against the Pittsburgh Steelers and guess who bailed them out in that game Blake Bortles. This is a team game and both sides of the ball need to do their job for this team to be successful. Like I said before Kirk Cousins has a better floor but Blake Bortles has had a higher upside and deserves another year with the same offense and better weapons around him.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(02-08-2018, 12:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 11:55 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Your above average play is based on cherry picked stats. When we were losing and ppl showed stats that BB5 improving and getting better, you Anyonebutblake ppl said its not about stats its about wins and BB5 did not have a winning record. Well low and behold he has a winning record and was 8 mins from being in the SB and most likely winning it. Now your saying its not about wins its about stats.Yall need to make up your mind.

Would you stop harping on that Bills game? What about that being the gameplan do you not get?

One year option for #5 and draft a guy early to potentially take over in 2019.

(02-08-2018, 12:43 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 12:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: And if the defense doesn't hold the Bills to 3 points, BB5 is 0/1.

Would you stop harping on that Bills game? What about that being the gameplan do you not get?
The gameplan was for Blake to rush for more than he threw? He was atrocious in the game. He was missing 5 yard throws. That was not the gameplan. And if the gameplan was "Don't let Blake throw" doesn't that mean something? 

I'm "harping" on it because it's important to look at the big picture from Blake this off season. He had the luxury of playing with a historically great defense that scored 8 defensive TDs and allowed 16 points a game. He was still inconsistent and you weren't sure which Blake was going to show up. The Seattle game Blake or both Titans game Blake? The Jags play a 1st place schedule next season and they will need the offense to be consistent in order to repeat as AFC South Champs. I think Cousins give the Jags a better chance to win than Blake. You give Cousins a team that allows 16 points a game and you'll win more than 10 games against a 4th place division schedule.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018, 01:48 PM by Upper.)

(02-08-2018, 11:55 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 11:40 AM)Upper Wrote: Cousins has 4 straight years of being across the board above average to well above average. This has been well chronicled also. He dragged a team just as bad as the Jags supporting cast the previous three years to a .500 record, while Blake led us to 3 straight top 5 picks. We've been overall all of this with detail. If you refuse to look at the evidence that has been shown many times there's no point in even bothering having a discussion.

Your above average play is based on cherry picked stats.

Lol no it's not. It's based on the entire advanced stats + section of pro football reference. It has 9 of the best overall rate stats set so the median is 100. It's not perfect, but it's a good way to take a snapshot of how a player did compared to his peers across the board. It's a hell of a lot better than trying to compare a minuscule sample size of playoff QB winz.

(02-08-2018, 12:52 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 12:43 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Would you stop harping on that Bills game? What about that being the gameplan do you not get?
The gameplan was for Blake to rush for more than he threw? He was atrocious in the game. He was missing 5 yard throws. That was not the gameplan. And if the gameplan was "Don't let Blake throw" doesn't that mean something? 

Lol yeah the gameplan was for us to be ahead by one score with the other team in our territory with the potential to tie or take the lead with only minutes left in the game where literally anything can happen. Just like they drew it up.

(02-08-2018, 10:37 AM)Upper Wrote: Best option, just pay Cousins. Expensive yes, but we don't have time to mess around with our championship window in it's prime.

2nd best option, trade for Foles. He'll be cheap for a year and then we can worry about an expensive extension or tagging. Good option but riskier than Cousins and an important pick is probably more valuable than one cheap contract year.

3rd best option, sign someone cheap like McCown who had a good season last year and who can do dump offs and drags for a cheap 5 million or so.

4th best option, keep Bortles. Hope he takes another step forward. If he does then he gets as expensive as Cousins so the reward for gambling he takes a step forward isn't there. Hence why this is the worst option.

Options 2 through 4 I take a QB as early as possible too. Hopefully Lamar Jackson I think he's the best developmental QB, but if it's Rudolph/Lauletta/White that'll probably be ok too.

Wallbash Obviously, Blake becoming a franchise top 10 NFL QB is a terrible option. It would be such a disaster if our QB that we drafted and developed, who knows the system and is respected by his teammates improves.

Do you recall how close we came this season? The "reward" if Blake takes a significant step forward is probably winning a Superbowl.

You are seriously overthinking things.

J Garappalo is out of the running hes getting 27.5 for 5 years from the 49ers one of the highest if not highest per year contract.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018, 03:08 PM by Upper.)

(02-08-2018, 02:53 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Wallbash Obviously, Blake becoming a franchise top 10 NFL QB is a terrible option. It would be such a disaster if our QB that we drafted and developed, who knows the system and is respected by his teammates improves.

Do you recall how close we came this season? The "reward" if Blake takes a significant step forward is probably winning a Superbowl.

I think you're underthinking it. If Blake takes a step forward he will be around Cousins level, that's great but not any better than just signing Cousins now. Hence no reward.

If he doesn't then we wasted another year and next offseason we're right back to questioning what we're going to do about a franchise QB.

Why take that gamble? Just sign Cousins now and remove the wasted year option.

If I wasn't such a huge fan I'd almost like them to sign Cousins and have him flop just so I could see the know-it-all stat-geeks heads explode. It would be almost worth the price of admission but then they'd just move on to something else they think they know better than the front office.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-08-2018, 03:08 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 02:53 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Wallbash Obviously, Blake becoming a franchise top 10 NFL QB is a terrible option. It would be such a disaster if our QB that we drafted and developed, who knows the system and is respected by his teammates improves.

I think you're underthinking it. If Blake takes a step forward he will be around Cousins level, that's great but not any better than just signing Cousins now. Hence no reward.

If he doesn't then we wasted another year and next offseason we're right back to questioning what we're going to do about a franchise QB.

Personally I think giving the richest contract in NFL history to a QB who has shown to be marginally better than average is a much bigger gamble. I know you're gonna throw some stats at me, but watching Cousins play he simply is not 'elite'. I'm not willing to put all my eggs in that basket.

Let Blake start on the 19mil, and draft a rookie high to develop behind him, that's my preferred approach.

(02-08-2018, 03:27 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 03:08 PM)Upper Wrote: I think you're underthinking it. If Blake takes a step forward he will be around Cousins level, that's great but not any better than just signing Cousins now. Hence no reward.

Personally I think giving the richest contract in NFL history to a QB who has shown to be marginally better than average is a much bigger gamble. I know you're gonna throw some stats at me, but watching Cousins play he simply is not 'elite'. I'm not willing to put all my eggs in that basket.

Let Blake start on the 19mil, and draft a rookie high to develop behind him, that's my preferred approach.

This!

and if BB5 progresses and earns a contract we would have a good back up or trade material

You're right, if you're going to get shown a variety of balanced advanced stats and just throw them out the window then there isn't much point in talking.

(02-08-2018, 03:27 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 03:08 PM)Upper Wrote: I think you're underthinking it. If Blake takes a step forward he will be around Cousins level, that's great but not any better than just signing Cousins now. Hence no reward.

What's going to be really crazy is if the Jags do sign Cousins and he doesn't get back to the AFCCG. "Bust! See I told you Bortles was better!"

(02-08-2018, 03:40 PM)Upper Wrote: You're right, if you're going to get shown a variety of balanced advanced stats and just throw them out the window then there isn't much point in talking.

Is that a promise?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-08-2018, 12:04 PM)rufftime Wrote: I would keep Blake and try my best to move up for Mayfield.  

I don't see any chance of us replacing Blake with a vet QB unless it is through a trade for someone under contract.  It is way too irresponsible to cut Blake and gamble that something equivalent can be found in FA.  If you don't land Cousins, you are pretty much [BLEEP].

If we can't get cousins or foles this is the path I hope they take.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."