Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Our next slot defender

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2018, 02:43 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

With Colvin's contract up, there is a good chance he wont be back this year.  Depending on who we cut and who we bring in during FA I thin will determine if we go after our next nickle corner in FA.  If we sign Cousins there is a good chance we wont, also depending on if we give resign A Rob and for how much.  I know this is pff rankings so you can take it with a grain of salt but it gives us a little idea. These guys played against the slot WR and here is the corner FA list for this year. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27542...017-season

They have Colvin ranked as the 31st best corner at covering the slot WR.  I still dont see how we let go of Boddy-Calhoun as a lot of us liked him coming out of the draft.

Here is a list of the corner FA and there are quite a few off of the list above.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018CB.php

I really dont see the Eagles letting go of Patrick Robinson and he will earn a nice contract else where imo.  I think Dennard will get a decent contract elsewhere as well, one more than we will be able to afford.  Looking at the Rams who will most likely resign Johnson, I wonder what Robey- Coleman's market will be?  Colvins market might not be as much as we think with as deep as this corner FA market is.  One of the deepst corner FA markets that I can remember, I didnt realize how deep it was untill I looked at the list.   We Should find out soon enough though. A lot of teams will be looking for guys who are better playing outside. We might not have to break the bank on one of the better nickle corners.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-11-2018, 02:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: With Colvin's contract up, there is a good chance he wont be back this year.  Depending on who we cut and who we bring in during FA I thin will determine if we go after our next nickle corner in FA.  If we sign Cousins there is a good chance we wont, also depending on if we give resign A Rob and for how much.  I know this is pff rankings so you can take it with a grain of salt but it gives us a little idea. These guys played against the slot WR and here is the corner FA list for this year. 

They have Colvin ranked as the 31st best corner at covering the slot WR.  I still dont see how we let go of Boddy-Calhoun as a lot of us liked him coming out of the draft.

Here is a list of the corner FA and there are quite a few off of the list above.

I really dont see the Eagles letting go of Patrick Robinson and he will earn a nice contract else where imo.  I think Dennard will get a decent contract elsewhere as well, one more than we will be able to afford.  Looking at the Rams who will most likely resign Johnson, I wonder what Robey- Coleman's market will be?  Colvins market might not be as much as we think with as deep as this corner FA market is.  One of the deepst corner FA markets that I can remember, I didnt realize how deep it was untill I looked at the list.   We Should find out soon enough though.  A lot of teams will be looking for guys who are better playing outside.  We might not have to break the bank on one of the better nickle corners.
Dennard can't play slot and is pretty limited skillset wise. Good tackler though. 

I prefer the options in the draft and with the guys we have Vs signing a FA. Maybe take a flier on a cheap FA.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie will probably be a cap cut so maybe he will want to reunite with Coughlin.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2018, 07:14 PM by knarnn.)

Dexter McDougle could be a guy to keep an eye on. We signed him to a futures contract at the start of the offseason. A former 3rd round pick who tore his ACL in his rookie year and has been traded and bounced around to a few teams including the Eagles. Mike Kaye seems to be pretty high on him.

Quote:
@mike_e_kaye
McDougle was only cut by Philly because of the numbers at the position. Eagles traded for Darby, drafted two CBs high, love Mills and Patrick Robinson had an all-pro year in the slot. He should be a player to watch in camp.

3:18 PM · Jan 23, 2018 from Florida, USA

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I really don't think there will be as high a demand for Colvin as people here seem to believe. IMO, he gets re-signed to a reasonable 2-3 year deal.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-12-2018, 05:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I really don't think there will be as high a demand for Colvin as people here seem to believe. IMO, he gets re-signed to a reasonable 2-3 year deal.

This would be ideal.

I keep thinking he's gone, but if he stays it's because his lack of INTs are a blessing in disguise.

'02

(02-11-2018, 02:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: With Colvin's contract up, there is a good chance he wont be back this year.  Depending on who we cut and who we bring in during FA I thin will determine if we go after our next nickle corner in FA.  If we sign Cousins there is a good chance we wont, also depending on if we give resign A Rob and for how much.  I know this is pff rankings so you can take it with a grain of salt but it gives us a little idea. These guys played against the slot WR and here is the corner FA list for this year. 

I really dont see the Eagles letting go of Patrick Robinson and he will earn a nice contract else where imo.  I think Dennard will get a decent contract elsewhere as well, one more than we will be able to afford.  Looking at the Rams who will most likely resign Johnson, I wonder what Robey- Coleman's market will be?  Colvins market might not be as much as we think with as deep as this corner FA market is.  One of the deepst corner FA markets that I can remember, I didnt realize how deep it was untill I looked at the list.   We Should find out soon enough though.  A lot of teams will be looking for guys who are better playing outside.  We might not have to break the bank on one of the better nickle corners.

I went through a very similar thought process here. Patrick Robinson would come in and replace Colvin just fine, so in my mind, it's about working free agency to come away with the cheaper guy.

I can see a team looking for a starting outside CB considering both players. They're really both nickel guys, so the team is banking that he'll work out starting outside against top competition. Both have flashed outside when given opportunities so there's a degree of confidence there, and both come from a top defense with the Eagles winning the SB and the Jaguars considered to have the league's top secondary. In the end, you come down to a decision on the two... one guy had 4 INTs last year but he's already 31 years old... the other guy is only 26 but after four seasons he's yet to record his first INT. You make the call? For me, I'm going with the younger guy, but I can see the logic in choosing the better playmaker. As I see it, one of them is signing a big money contract... the other is signing a modest contract to be the Jaguars nickel.

I also noticed that in the event we can't get either, Robey-Coleman does appear to be the next best FA option to play the nickel, but dude is only 5'8".

'02

(02-23-2018, 05:05 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

I went through a very similar thought process here. Patrick Robinson would come in and replace Colvin just fine, so in my mind, it's about working free agency to come away with the cheaper guy.

I can see a team looking for a starting outside CB considering both players. They're really both nickel guys, so the team is banking that he'll work out starting outside against top competition. Both have flashed outside when given opportunities so there's a degree of confidence there, and both come from a top defense with the Eagles winning the SB and the Jaguars considered to have the league's top secondary. In the end, you come down to a decision on the two... one guy had 4 INTs last year but he's already 31 years old... the other guy is only 26 but after four seasons he's yet to record his first INT. You make the call? For me, I'm going with the younger guy, but I can see the logic in choosing the better playmaker. As I see it, one of them is signing a big money contract... the other is signing a modest contract to be the Jaguars nickel.

I also noticed that in the event we can't get either, Robey-Coleman does appear to be the next best FA option to play the nickel, but dude is only 5'8".
Robinson is 30 and we won't be able to afford him, we would be able to resign Colvin before we could afford Robinson