Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ryan O's scenario

Ryan O'Halloran indicated in today's Times-Union that a great scenerio for the Jaguars would be for a quarterback needy team who passed on that position with their first pick to trade back up into the first for the Jags #29 pick. They would give the Jags their 2nd and 3rd rounders in return. Since I expect the Browns, Giants, Jets, Cardinals and Broncos to already have addressed this need prior to pick 29, I think the most likely candidates would be Cincinatti, Baltimore and Buffalo. I'm going to say the Bengals want to move on from Dalton and don't trust McCarron enough to go with him. The Jags would then receive picks 46 (2nd round) and 77 (3rd). They might even be able to get another pick in 2019, but let's just go with the 2 picks for now. Personally, I'd be in favor of this since I doubt there'd be anyone that great left at #29. The Jags would also save money by not having to pay a 1st rounder and would be able to meet all their greatest need by the end of round 3. Here is how I'd do it:

Rd. 2 (46) -  Will Hernandez/Isaiah Wynn-  Greatest position of need. Either would be big upgrade.

Rd. 2 (61) -  Hayden Hurst/Mike Gesecki/Goedert- Any of these guys would be nice weapon for Bortles. No idea who is best, but at least 1 will be there.

Rd. 3 (77) -  M.J. Stewart- Perfect replacement for Colvin. 

Rd. 3 (93( - Mike Price- May not be there depending on combine and personal workouts. Opinions all over the place. Great size, smart and good enough arm. Is he athletic enough?
                                  If he isn't available, no big deal. Blake will start anyway. Jags would need to pick up a relatively inexpensive free agent instead. No need to waste a pick on 
                                  another q.b. if they doubt he'll ever be good (see Brandon Allen, Jonathan Quinn, etc.)

In this scenerio, I'd assume the Bengals like either Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson much more than the Jaguars do and feel they're worth moving up for.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm down for that considering I'd be okay with Wynn or Hernandez in the 1st anyways. Free picks in the 2nd and 3rd (Caldwell's wheelhouse) would be awesome

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2018, 03:55 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I think it all depends on who is sitting there at 29

(02-11-2018, 03:34 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Ryan O'Halloran indicated in today's Times-Union that a great scenerio for the Jaguars would be for a quarterback needy team who passed on that position with their first pick to trade back up into the first for the Jags #29 pick. They would give the Jags their 2nd and 3rd rounders in return. Since I expect the Browns, Giants, Jets, Cardinals and Broncos to already have addressed this need prior to pick 29, I think the most likely candidates would be Cincinatti, Baltimore and Buffalo. I'm going to say the Bengals want to move on from Dalton and don't trust McCarron enough to go with him. The Jags would then receive picks 46 (2nd round) and 77 (3rd). They might even be able to get another pick in 2019, but let's just go with the 2 picks for now. Personally, I'd be in favor of this since I doubt there'd be anyone that great left at #29. The Jags would also save money by not having to pay a 1st rounder and would be able to meet all their greatest need by the end of round 3. Here is how I'd do it:

Rd. 2 (46) -  Will Hernandez/Isaiah Wynn-  Greatest position of need. Either would be big upgrade.

Rd. 2 (61) -  Hayden Hurst/Mike Gesecki/Goedert- Any of these guys would be nice weapon for Bortles. No idea who is best, but at least 1 will be there.

Rd. 3 (93( - Mike Price- May not be there depending on combine and personal workouts. Opinions all over the place. Great size, smart and good enough arm. Is he athletic enough?
                                  If he isn't available, no big deal. Blake will start anyway. Jags would need to pick up a relatively inexpensive free agent instead. No need to waste a pick on 
                                  another q.b. if they doubt he'll ever be good (see Brandon Allen, Jonathan Quinn, etc.)

In this scenerio, I'd assume the Bengals like either Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson much more than the Jaguars do and feel they're worth moving up for.
Who is Mike Price?

(02-11-2018, 03:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think it all depends on who is sitting there at 29

(02-11-2018, 03:34 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Ryan O'Halloran indicated in today's Times-Union that a great scenerio for the Jaguars would be for a quarterback needy team who passed on that position with their first pick to trade back up into the first for the Jags #29 pick. They would give the Jags their 2nd and 3rd rounders in return. Since I expect the Browns, Giants, Jets, Cardinals and Broncos to already have addressed this need prior to pick 29, I think the most likely candidates would be Cincinatti, Baltimore and Buffalo. I'm going to say the Bengals want to move on from Dalton and don't trust McCarron enough to go with him. The Jags would then receive picks 46 (2nd round) and 77 (3rd). They might even be able to get another pick in 2019, but let's just go with the 2 picks for now. Personally, I'd be in favor of this since I doubt there'd be anyone that great left at #29. The Jags would also save money by not having to pay a 1st rounder and would be able to meet all their greatest need by the end of round 3. Here is how I'd do it:

Who is Mike Price?

I would assume he meant Billy Price from Ohio State

(02-11-2018, 03:59 PM)JNev Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 03:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think it all depends on who is sitting there at 29

Who is Mike Price?

I would assume he meant Billy Price from Ohio State

Billy Price would never fall that far.

Sorry, I meant Mike White. Not sure what was thinking.

I feel like this is one of those drafts where there isn't a lot of difference between pick 7-45
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Not a fan of trading back from pick 1-29. At the back end of the 1st round, I think the Jags can still find a young QB worth development, or a very good OL/TE to start immediately.

(02-12-2018, 08:47 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Not a fan of trading back from pick 1-29.  At the back end of the 1st round, I think the Jags can still find a young QB worth development, or a very good OL/TE to start immediately.

I could see them doing lots of things like this.  I'm not convinced they will take a QB at all.  We will know a lot more as we work our way up to the draft.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Depends on who's left on the board and how FA goes (especially the QB position).

Last year GB and Seattle traded out of 29 and 31 and got back a second and a fourth (early second, I think it was picks 34 and 33 or something like that).

If it's an early second and a 4th maybe yes (that would give us ammo to trade back into the late second-third if we want). If it's a second and a third probably yes. Lots of IFs....I'm not opposed to trading back at the right price.

I feel like if a team is QB needy, then you gotta get next year's first rounder out of them.

Maybe I'm greedy, but I push for their Second Rounder, and the 2019 First.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(02-11-2018, 03:42 PM)JNev Wrote: I'm down for that considering I'd be okay with Wynn or Hernandez in the 1st anyways. Free picks in the 2nd and 3rd (Caldwell's wheelhouse) would be awesome

To clarify, in that scenario we would be giving up our 1st rounder so it's really 1 additional pick in the 3rd round (resulting from trading back)

I don't see this class playing out like that. I've said it in a few other threads as of late. But this QB class reminds me of the 2011 class. We're going to see a lot of QB's reached for. I think between Cleveland, New York Giants, New York Jets, Arizona, Los Angeles Chargers, Buffalo & New Orleans you could see anywhere between four to six QB's selected before the 29th pick.

And at that point you probably won't see any QB's worth coming up to get. Especially if it means giving up a 2nd and 3rd round pick to do so. Buffalo and Cleveland holding a pair of first round picks honestly makes it that much harder for a trade occurring because both of those teams should be in the market for a new QB.

I can see Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen & Mason Rudolph all gone before the 29th pick. Who really wants to come up to 29 after that to get a QB? I see Rosen going to Cleveland. Darnold going to the New York Giants. Baker Mayfield going to the New York Jets. Arizona takes Lamar Jackson. Los Angeles Chargers may pull the trigger on Josh Allen or Mason Rudolph to start grooming an heir behind Old Man Rivers. Buffalo may try to get one of them. Then that leaves New Orleans trying to do the same as L.A when they have to prepare for life without that Cool Brees around.

If anything. If any QB catches the eye of a team. They'll have to go way up past 29th overall to get their man. Which is why you'll see a lot of these guys getting over drafted.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Can't wait to buy the new look Jaguars Hayden Hurst jersey!!!

One reason to be optimistic about this scenario. First round picks come with the 5th year option. Teams put a high value on that , especially with a QB.

However, I can't really see this playing out unless we extend Blake or land Cousins before the draft.

Round three will be a good spot to find a MLB to develop for a year behind Poz and then take over. I'm looking at names like Leighton Vander Esch, Darius Leonard and Michah Kiser.
'02

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018, 10:40 AM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

The Bengals have a different formula to develop a quarterback than we do. Respecting their decision to go with Dalton instead of turning over the offense to A. J. McCarron has nothing to do with "trust". It has everything to do with grooming a quarterback to play in the NFL. Not every franchise throws raw meat to the wolves and expects something good to happen the way we do.

The better teams draft a quarterback prospect and bench him for several years. The Packers benched Bart Starr. Hall of Famer Jerry Kramer (I think the sound of that!) said they saw nothing in Bart Starr for his first three years, then suddenly he took off.

Same can be said of Aaron Rodgers. He sat behind Brett Favre for many years. Tom Coughlin traded for Mark Brunell, knowing he was getting a well-groomed quarterback prospect he felt would be ready to become his marquee passer. A couple of trips to the AFC Title game in the first two years of the Jaguars' existence proved Tom was keen on quarterback talent evaluating.

Remember Tom drafted David Garrard. His role was to back up Brunell and one day assume the starting quarterback job. Contrast David Garrard with Bryon Leftwich, Blaine Gabbert, or Blake Bortles. David was a-wash in the QB mix. He held the clipboard while all the experts figured out how to relieve the Jaguars of Brunell in favor of the college football hero quarterback du jour, Leftwich.

Yet this period of time served the same purpose as if Garrard was being left alone to study the quarterback role. When time was up, David never really stumbled into the starting job. Because of the time he spent learning the operation, he down-right snatched the starting QB job from Lord Byron.

Be grateful the Bengals did NOT desire to likewise throw A. J. McCarron to the wolves. We're fortunate that he has been developed by the Cincinnati coaches. It take a lot of discipline for a franchise to wait until its the right time rather than ruin a guy in four short year.

We will know THURSDAY (2-15) if A. J. McCarron is a unrestricted free agent or not. The decision will be made based upon his grievance filed against the Bengals, who he feels robbed him of one year of accrued service.

If the decision goes against McCarron I guess the Bengals can hold onto McCarron. In a situation like that, I think it will be best to part ways.

Hopefully, Trader Tom will bring Cincy to the light and they will trade McCarron to us for a second.

Then, if it is entirely plausible, the trade back scenario will yield a third round pick plus a second round pick to replace the one we use to gain A. J. McCarron.

(02-14-2018, 06:57 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:

Be grateful the Bengals did NOT desire to likewise throw A. J. McCarron to the wolves. We're fortunate that he has been developed by the Cincinnati coaches. It take a lot of discipline for a franchise to wait until its the right time rather than ruin a guy in four short year.

Be grateful?  Really?  I don't give a hoot what the bungles QB grooming process is.  It's not working.

Four short years?  In the NFL?  Are you serious?  There is nothing "short" about four years in this league. 
Most players don't even stay in the league long enough to complete three years.

I remember this goofball from the original board.

Same post quality. Lots of words that say nothing.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-13-2018, 04:16 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Round three will be a good spot to find a MLB to develop for a year behind Poz and then take over. I'm looking at names like Leighton Vander Esch, Darius Leonard and Michah Kiser.

MLB? Did we cut Myles Jack?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."