Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Gesicki - Draft profile

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2018, 03:20 PM by JackCity.)

(02-12-2018, 11:07 AM)Deacon Wrote: Ugh. Reads like it was written by a man who literally had a lime in his mouth the whole time. I can practically hear the accent every time I read it.

All kidding aside though, nice write up. A few things about Gesicki that I didn't like.

Blocking - See any of the posts above
When he had to gather in that "leaping" clip - That always worries me. Quick twitch means exactly that, your muscles are ready to explode immediately. Should be no need to gather. Probably nitpicking here, but that's what draft talk is all about.
Power - This is tied to blocking, but those long-limbed guys will sometimes have problems with strength. I didn't see a lot of power from him in a few of them fancy movies you posted.

What I did like
Sells the play. He spends as much effort as he needs to set up a guy and the play. He worked a Safety who had inside position on him until he got him to move then went inside. It didn't happen right away, he kept working on it. Thumbs up right there. The play where he caught the TD after faking the WR screen. He did a good job of selling his block then went downfield. I like that as much as NYC4Jags likes a glass of bourbon in the morning.
"Triangle numbers" - who don't want a player built like that?!
Catch and drops - it's a good thing for a guy to catch more passes than he drops. Hey! Did ya read that Marquise Lee?!

I hope you weren't implying I was a limey, i.e of British origin sir...  

The leaping point is very interesting to me. I know that NBA prospects can be dinged for being "two foot leapers" Vs being able to spring off of one leg. 
Seems Gesicki is definitely in the two foot category. 

Power wise I'd agree. If he could put on another 10-15 of good muscle onto that lanky frame it would do him a world of good. Needs to bring some "dog" out too. 

Agree on the rest too. The more I watched the more I saw a guy who came with a plan on every play as a receiver. Good spacial awareness and has the technique to get to his spots.   

Even if he never becomes anything more than a willing but below average blocker he is still a very intriguing weapon to have at your disposal. Could be a very good security blanket for whoever our QB is.

(02-12-2018, 01:58 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 01:27 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He didn't display good hands at the Senior Bowl. He had a couple of very easy drops. I wasn't impressed.

Per PFF, Gesicki had 2 drops out of all the catchable balls he had thrown his way last year.

I’ll take the sample size over a week at the Senior Bowl.
Yeah he has great hands. 

Jeremy Reaves the safety made two big plays in the Senior Bowl breaking up a pass Gesicki caught. Wouldn't be too worried about it long term.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-12-2018, 03:19 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 11:07 AM)Deacon Wrote: [Very well informed and crafted post that was totally about football.

The leaping point is very interesting to me. I know that NBA prospects can be dinged for being "two foot leapers" Vs being able to spring off of one leg. 

Power wise I'd agree. If he could put on another 10-15 of good muscle onto that lanky frame it would do him a world of good. Needs to bring some "dog" out too. 

Agree on the rest too. The more I watched the more I saw a guy who came with a plan on every play as a receiver. Good spacial awareness and has the technique to get to his spots.   

Even if he never becomes anything more than a willing but below average blocker he is still a very intriguing weapon to have at your disposal. Could be a very good security blanket for whoever our QB is.

(02-12-2018, 01:58 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Whatever. I shouldn't even have to read this stuff.
Yeah he has great hands. 

Jeremy Reaves the safety made two big plays in the Senior Bowl breaking up a pass Gesicki caught. Wouldn't be too worried about it long term.

I think it's kind of telling about this TE class where he and Goedert are seen as fringe First Round Prospects and the top of their class. While they are good players, I don't see either of them as "must have" types.

I agree with you that he is an intriguing player and I think he could be a real weapon, but I feel like there are several more valuable players that will be there in the bottom of Round 1.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(02-12-2018, 04:21 PM)Deacon Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 03:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: I hope you weren't implying I was a limey, i.e of British origin sir...  

Yeah he has great hands. 

I think it's kind of telling about this TE class where he and Goedert are seen as fringe First Round Prospects and the top of their class. While they are good players, I don't see either of them as "must have" types.

I agree with you that he is an intriguing player and I think he could be a real weapon, but I feel like there are several more valuable players that will be there in the bottom of Round 1.
Round 1 is a bit too rich for me. Particularly when that seems to be the money area for some very good interior players this year.  

If he's there at our pick in the 2nd I'd do it.

Funnily enough he blocked me on twitter after this. LMAO.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 08:44 AM by Deacon.)

(02-12-2018, 03:19 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 11:07 AM)Deacon Wrote: Ugh. Reads like it was written by a man who literally had a lime potato in his mouth the whole time. I can practically hear the accent every time I read it.

Fiiiine. 

Edited.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(02-13-2018, 12:12 AM)JackCity Wrote: Funnily enough he blocked me on twitter after this. LMAO.

He isn't that bad of a blocker then! Big Grin

Great write up Jackcity!

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 01:38 PM by JackCity.)

(02-13-2018, 08:44 AM)Deacon Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 03:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: I hope you weren't implying I was a limey, i.e of British origin sir...  

Fiiiine. 

Edited.

Much better my maple and hockey loving friend

(02-13-2018, 09:07 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 12:12 AM)JackCity Wrote: Funnily enough he blocked me on twitter after this. LMAO.

He isn't that bad of a blocker then! Big Grin

Great write up Jackcity!

He sure showed me!

Thanks man.

(02-11-2018, 04:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 04:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No. He's basically a bigger, slower WR, because of his pitiful blocking. If we're gonna spend a high round pick on a TE, we need one that can catch and block. IMO, Andrews, Goedert, Hurst and Fumagalli are all better options in rounds 2-3.

Andrews is a poor blocker as well.  If we take a TE who's weakness is blocking, I would take Andrews over Gesicki though.

I've read the same about Andrews struggling as a blocker, but his frame is so thick I'm sure it's just a matter of developing. I can picture him being a dominant downfield blocker with his size.

As for Gesicki, he clearly needs developing as well but I do think he'll get there in time. He's just such a natural and gifted pass catcher that I'm fine taking him with our late round two pick should we still need a TE at that point. I don't think Andrews or Hurst make it to our round two pick. 

'02

Profiles of the tight ends seem to be all over the place at the moment.

I’ve seen other reports of him being an excellent blocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(02-27-2018, 06:17 PM)Andy G Wrote: Profiles of the tight ends seem to be all over the place at the moment.

I’ve seen other reports of him being an excellent blocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From where? He's shockingly bad. Would be the consensus by a mile. Very few if any "good" blocking snaps.

(02-11-2018, 04:11 PM)Upper Wrote: I think the NFL has proven at large that a TEs ability to block is a distant second to their ability to be a mismatch in the passing game, so I think many teams will love Gesecki and put him to great use in the NFL.

Unfortunately, I think our front office has proven that they run things pretty much the opposite of the modern NFL so I don't think he will be much of a candidate to come here.

I think your first paragraph is right on point.

However, I think your closing statement is wrong.  Bortles has been used in run-pass options numerous times, and the team has placed a heavy emphasis on defensive speed.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-01-2018, 01:23 PM)JackCity Wrote: Monster

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/stat...65984?s=19

If Jags had a pass heavy offense he would be great. Jags don't. Jags have a power run O. He would be totally useless when Jags run and when he is on the field it would give away to the opponents defense that Jags are throwing the ball. 

That is what makes Marcedes unique. Great blocker, but from time to time can escape and make some catches. 

How is the TE's from Indiana and Stanford? Ian Thomas and Dalton Schultz. Thoughts on those guys?

(03-01-2018, 01:45 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:

If Jags had a pass heavy offense he would be great. Jags don't. Jags have a power run O. He would be totally useless when Jags run and when he is on the field it would give away to the opponents defense that Jags are throwing the ball. 

That is what makes Marcedes unique. Great blocker, but from time to time can escape and make some catches. 

How is the TE's from Indiana and Stanford? Ian Thomas and Dalton Schultz. Thoughts on those guys?
Yeah the fit isn't great here for him unfortunately. It would be a big leap of faith to presume he'd ever be good enough as a blocker.  

Was talking about Dalton Schultz the other day. 6'6 250 and a monster blocker. He's like a Marcedes Lewis clone in that regard and I can easily see the jags liking him late. Production doesn't match talent.  

Thomas is very athletic as a deep threat, and can block some but he's a project. Think teams will take him in the 2nd/3rd but too raw for me..

Can't remember which posted loves Durham Smythe from Notre Dame but he's another guy the Jaguars will target from round 3-6

Schultz and Smythe are both great blockers from big time programs that can still be an asset in the pass game. If we don't take one early those should be the guys later on for me.

Wow. I'm excited to see if he can get 40 on the vert.

So because Gisecki doesn't fit our old school style, we should pass on him if he's the BAP?

I'm not with that. We need someone who is capable of running that seam route and making plays. We need more redzone threats. We need playmakers.

I'd love Gesicki, great hands and he will probably post a close to 40 vertical jump at the combine.

Took this bit from Ryan O' article on Hurst today and here are Doug words at the end yesterday:

Most tight ends who enter the NFL need to take a Blocking 101 class – that’s what made Lewis so rare when he joined the Jaguars in 2006. He arrived in the league as a mauler. Hurst has earned praise for knowing how to use 250-pound frame.

“I’m greedy – I want a guy who can do both,” Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said. “You’re looking for a guy who can be a threat to be both and that would put him in the top five percent of the tight ends.”

(03-01-2018, 02:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: So because Gisecki doesn't fit our old school style, we should pass on him if he's the BAP?

I'm not with that. We need someone who is capable of running that seam route and making plays. We need more redzone threats. We need playmakers.

Nah I'd just be surprised if our front office valued him over someone like Goedert or Hurst due to how we play.  

I think his receiving ability supercedes his awful blocking personally.

(03-01-2018, 03:01 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 02:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: So because Gisecki doesn't fit our old school style, we should pass on him if he's the BAP?

Nah I'd just be surprised if our front office valued him over someone like Goedert or Hurst due to how we play.  

I think his receiving ability supercedes his awful blocking personally.

You can teach blocking.  You can't teach athleticism.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]