Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Gesicki - Draft profile

(03-01-2018, 03:23 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 03:01 PM)JackCity Wrote: Nah I'd just be surprised if our front office valued him over someone like Goedert or Hurst due to how we play.  

I think his receiving ability supercedes his awful blocking personally.

You can teach blocking.  You can't teach athleticism.

Some guys can't even teach blocking.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-01-2018, 03:23 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 03:01 PM)JackCity Wrote: Nah I'd just be surprised if our front office valued him over someone like Goedert or Hurst due to how we play.  

I think his receiving ability supercedes his awful blocking personally.

You can teach blocking.  You can't teach athleticism.

Yeah I'd rather mold an Uber athlete with ball skills into a blocker than the reverse.  

Although some players just never become good blockers regardless.

If you aren't considering Gesecki because he is a bad blocker then you have a scheme issue.

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2018, 06:12 PM by Andy G.)

(02-27-2018, 07:11 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 06:17 PM)Andy G Wrote: Profiles of the tight ends seem to be all over the place at the moment.

I’ve seen other reports of him being an excellent blocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From where? He's shockingly bad. Would be the consensus by a mile. Very few if any "good" blocking snaps.

Here’s one -

“Andrews blocks with a mean streak and isn’t afraid to bury a defender into the ground to finish a block and assert his dominance. Andrews does an excellent job of exhibiting lateral control to pick up blitzes moving across the face of the LOS and is an exceptional blocker out in space on screens from the Slot position, routinely turning defenders away from the run of play without looking back at the runner. Andrews relies on his stellar technique and does well to disengage from his blocks and mitigate opportunities to elicit holding calls. Andrews has been extremely productive throughout his collegiate career with 23.3% of his receptions resulting in touchdowns.”

That was from Locked on Jaguars and there was another one too, but would have to look for it.

Gesicki meanwhile doesn’t seem to be top on many TE lists and was as low as the 7th best on one I saw today.

This was pro football focus -

“7. MIKE GESICKI, PENN STATE
Gesicki excels at using his long frame to create big plays on off-target throws and in contested situations while using his long strides to glide down the field. His size and body control makes him an option against safeties and linebackers when lined up on the outside. Gesicki has struggled in the run game, failing to crack a 60.0 run-blocking grade in any year of his career, so he’ll have to be managed at the next level in order to tap into his contested-catch ability.”

But who knows, there seems to be a lot of disagreement on which TE is best at the moment and some wildly different opinions on them.

(03-01-2018, 06:10 PM)Andy G Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 07:11 PM)JackCity Wrote: From where? He's shockingly bad. Would be the consensus by a mile. Very few if any "good" blocking snaps.

Here’s one -

“Andrews blocks with a mean streak and isn’t afraid to bury a defender into the ground to finish a block and assert his dominance. Andrews does an excellent job of exhibiting lateral control to pick up blitzes moving across the face of the LOS and is an exceptional blocker out in space on screens from the Slot position, routinely turning defenders away from the run of play without looking back at the runner. Andrews relies on his stellar technique and does well to disengage from his blocks and mitigate opportunities to elicit holding calls. Andrews has been extremely productive throughout his collegiate career with 23.3% of his receptions resulting in touchdowns.”

That was from Locked on Jaguars and there was another one too, but would have to look for it.

Gesicki meanwhile doesn’t seem to be top on many TE lists and was as low as the 7th best on one I saw today.

This was pro football focus -

“7. MIKE GESICKI, PENN STATE
Gesicki excels at using his long frame to create big plays on off-target throws and in contested situations while using his long strides to glide down the field. His size and body control makes him an option against safeties and linebackers when lined up on the outside. Gesicki has struggled in the run game, failing to crack a 60.0 run-blocking grade in any year of his career, so he’ll have to be managed at the next level in order to tap into his contested-catch ability.”

But who knows, there seems to be a lot of disagreement on which TE is best at the moment and some wildly different opinions on them.

Lmao. Andrews is a not a good blocker at all. Better than Gesicki but still pretty terrible.

I think most of the draft profilers agree with that.

My point was that there are a lot of varied opinions around about the Tight Ends at the moment, so it’s hard to be 100% sure of anything.

(03-02-2018, 04:38 AM)Andy G Wrote: I think most of the draft profilers agree with that.

My point was that there are a lot of varied opinions around about the Tight Ends at the moment, so it’s hard to be 100% sure of anything.

Is there? I dunno it's seems like everyone is in lock step about their skillset. Just that people's top 4 may differ slightly.

So with the rumblings of the Jags moving on from ARob, I wonder if Gesicki could fill the role of the jump ball guy/REZ threat in our offense?

Gesicki with a 41.5" vertical at 6'5 247.

Bow down to TE1

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2018, 02:54 PM by JackCity.)

To put that into perspective Vernon Davis had the best combine performance of all time and is one of it not the most athletic TE in NFL history.

He had a 42" vert at 6'3 254.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2018, 02:56 PM by Upper.)

If I had any faith that we would utilize him correctly I wouldn't complain at all with Gesecki at 29.

(03-03-2018, 02:55 PM)Upper Wrote: If I had any faith that we would utilize him correctly I wouldn't complain at all with Gesecki at 29.

My thoughts as well.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2018, 03:07 PM by JackCity.)

If we drafted him I'd be confident in Hackett using him correctly.

Better broad jump than Vernon Davis at 10'9.

Just ran a 4.55 omg

Gesicki is basically a 6’6” WR that has a 41” vert and 4.55 speed. Yes please.

(03-03-2018, 03:35 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Gesicki is basically a 6’6” WR that has a 41” vert and 4.55 speed. Yes please.

And has excellent balls skills paired with good enough route running.  

Gronk type mismatch in the pass game.

I've been pushing hard for him all off-season. He's going to give defensive coordinators nightmares.

I'm hoping the Jaguars get the best TE, whether that Hurst, Gesicki or Andrews at #29. I know it's possible one of them might slip unto late round two, but I don't want that one leftover guy that got passed up. I want them to choose the best one.  Goedert doesn't even excite me by comparison to these three.
'02

Jags front office dont trade up to get the next gronkowski, they are dumb.

Gesicki probably the most impressive today.

What were they saying about his blocking though? Something about him “just getting in the way”?

Otherwise very impressed.