Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What happens if ARob doesn't return?

They already said they were prepared to tag him before his injury, I would imagine they're willing to use that card to keep him still if need be
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 02:52 PM by RicoTx.)

(02-15-2018, 02:29 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 02:03 PM)Rico Wrote: Why do people keep bringing up Landry?  They're not even remotely the same type of receivers.

What does him not being the same kind of receiver as Landry have to do with anything?

Because he's a big, physical, receiver which we sorely missed this past year.  We don't need another small speed guy...especially one with a [BLEEP] attitude.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-15-2018, 02:29 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 02:03 PM)Rico Wrote: Why do people keep bringing up Landry?  They're not even remotely the same type of receivers.

What does him not being the same kind of receiver as Landry have to do with anything?

He would be the other WR in free agency that is as good as AR15, that's why we keep on bringing him up. Doesn't matter how they get it done, as long as they get it done which they both do.

Because if you look around the roster - this WR corps is missing a true X receiver that's physical at the L.O.S. and can regularly win 50/50 balls and back shoulder throws. 

Cole might become somewhat like that - but he's not there yet and probably will never have what A-Rob has in that regard. He relies on speed - which is great - but it's different.  Cole is really a Z. Not an X. Westbrook can play Y or Z. Not really an X either.  Hurns can play X, but he plays much better at Y. 

Most folks believe you need a true X guy to compliment the other skill sets typical to your Z and Y receivers. 
I think the Jags offense would have continued a number of stalled drives in 2017 by having a guy like that. They didn't. 
If I'm going to spend big bucks replacing A-Rob -  I'd want to spend it on a guy with a similar skill set.

(02-15-2018, 02:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 02:29 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote: What does him not being the same kind of receiver as Landry have to do with anything?

He would be the other WR in free agency that is as good as AR15, that's why we keep on bringing him up. Doesn't matter how they get it done, as long as they get it done which they both do.

Because if you look around the roster - this WR corps is missing a true X receiver that's physical at the L.O.S. and can regularly win 50/50 balls and back shoulder throws. 

Cole might become somewhat like that - but he's not there yet and probably will never have what A-Rob has in that regard. He relies on speed - which is great - but it's different.  Cole is really a Z. Not an X. Westbrook can play Y or Z. Not really an X either.  Hurns can play X, but he plays much better at Y. 

Most folks believe you need a true X guy to compliment the other skill sets typical to your Z and Y receivers. 
I think the Jags offense would have continued a number of stalled drives in 2017 by having a guy like that. They didn't. 
If I'm going to spend big bucks replacing A-Rob -  I'd want to spend it on a guy with a similar skill set.

I said that without all of the letters.  Letters confuse me.

(02-15-2018, 02:56 PM)Rico Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 02:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Because if you look around the roster - this WR corps is missing a true X receiver that's physical at the L.O.S. and can regularly win 50/50 balls and back shoulder throws. 

I said that without all of the letters.  Letters confuse me.
I like yours better.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 03:53 PM by NJ JagsFan.)

(02-15-2018, 02:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 02:29 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote: What does him not being the same kind of receiver as Landry have to do with anything?

I mean they are speedy WR's don't get me wrong but no where are you finding our WR's getting as open as Landry on a consistent basis. And what kind of X guy did the dolphins have to compliment him? He was the horse of that offense what are you even talking about lol?

I get what your're saying that they are different kinds of wide outs but they both get it done nevertheless. I wouldn't consider Odell a 50/50 jump over everyone and catch it kind of receiver but would you not go after him if he was a FA because hes not? Just bad ideology IMO on your guys behalf.

I think you're confusing X receiver to just being a #1 receiver. It doesn't matter who our #1 receiver is along as he gets the attention of opposing defenses and they get forced to double cover. It has nothing to do with the type of receiver he is, that's when you'll see our #2's and #3's get open no matter what kind of receivers they are either.

(02-15-2018, 03:43 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 02:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Because if you look around the roster - this WR corps is missing a true X receiver that's physical at the L.O.S. and can regularly win 50/50 balls and back shoulder throws. 

I mean they are speedy WR's don't get me wrong but no where are you finding our WR's getting as open as Landry on a consistent basis. And what kind of X guy did the dolphins have to compliment him? He was the horse of that offense what are you even talking about lol?

I get what your're saying that they are different kinds of wide outs but they both get it done nevertheless. I wouldn't consider Odell a 50/50 jump over everyone and catch it kind of receiver but would you not go after him if he was a FA because hes not? Just bad ideology IMO on your guys behalf.

I think you're confusing X receiver to just being a #1 receiver. It doesn't matter who our #1 receiver is along as he gets the attention of opposing defenses and they get forced to double cover. It has nothing to do with the type of receiver he is, that's when you'll see our #2's and #3's get open no matter what kind of receivers they are either.
Landry (and the phins in general)  would have benefited greatly by having a 6'2" plus receiver at X that could beat press and win jump balls.  They didn't have one either - but I bet they wish they did. 

You think it doesn't matter. I think it does. No big deal. 

I don't want three Emmanuel Sanders' when I could have a Larry Fitzgerald, an Emmanuel Sanders and a Tyreek Hill in my corps instead. 

You'll pardon me if I prefer "better" to "good enough to get it done." 

I also think this tired narrative of Jags receivers not getting open is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen around here. 
Lee, Cole and Westbrook got open regularly.  Bortles was just too often late with the ball and/or off target. 
Go watch some all 22 film and look how open those guys are when they come out of their breaks and look for the ball that isn't there yet. It's pretty consistent.

(02-15-2018, 04:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 03:43 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote: I mean they are speedy WR's don't get me wrong but no where are you finding our WR's getting as open as Landry on a consistent basis. And what kind of X guy did the dolphins have to compliment him? He was the horse of that offense what are you even talking about lol?

Landry (and the phins in general)  would have benefited greatly by having a 6'2" plus receiver at X that could beat press and win jump balls.  They didn't have one either - but I bet they wish they did. 

I don't want three Emmanuel Sanders' when I could have a Larry Fitzgerald, an Emmanuel Sanders and a Tyreek Hill in my corps instead. 

I also think this tired narrative of Jags receivers not getting open is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen around here. 
Lee, Cole and Westbrook got open regularly.  Bortles was just too often late with the ball and/or off target. 
Go watch some all 22 film and look how open those guys are when they come out of their breaks and look for the ball that isn't there yet. It's pretty consistent.

Or they just dropped the pass Tongue

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 07:37 PM by knarnn.)

(02-15-2018, 11:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: If he's not here - they get someone else. They probably keep Hurns too unless that  afore-mentioned someone else is a big money FA.

The way Caldwell has drafted receivers thus far, I'm not going to worry too much.

I do believe the team will offer Robinson a fair contract to stay. Of course he may get a better offer and move on.
I guess the transition tag is an option, even though it's a little steep.  ($13.1 mil)

I’ve suggested in other threads that the transition tag will be the best option for both parties if we cant agree to a long term contract.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(02-15-2018, 04:59 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 11:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: If he's not here - they get someone else. They probably keep Hurns too unless that  afore-mentioned someone else is a big money FA.

The way Caldwell has drafted receivers thus far, I'm not going to worry too much.

I do believe the team will offer Robinson a fair contract to stay. Of course he may get a better offer and move on.
I guess the transition tag is an option, even though it's a little steep.  ($13.1 mil)

I’ve suggested in other threads that the transition tag will be the best option for both parties if we can agree to a long term contract.

Explain again what the transition tag entails... What do other teams have to give up to steal him from us?

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 07:49 PM by knarnn.)

(02-15-2018, 07:16 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 04:59 PM)knarnn Wrote: I’ve suggested in other threads that the transition tag will be the best option for both parties if we can agree to a long term contract.

Explain again what the transition tag entails... What do other teams have to give up to steal him from us?

Quote: The transition tag is rare and gives the player a one-year salary average of the top 10 highest paid players at the position. The original team can then match any contract offered by another team to the transition tag player. If the original team doesn’t match the offer, it does not receive any compensation.

So for instance we Transition tag ARob for 13 million. He now has the ability to negotiate with other teams if he chooses. If they come to an agreement the Jags have the right to match whatever he was offered, or to decline and let him walk, or neither and he plays under the tag. My thinking is he gets to semi-test the market and we get to gauge what others feel he is worth.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 08:10 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-15-2018, 07:48 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 07:16 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Explain again what the transition tag entails... What do other teams have to give up to steal him from us?

Quote: The transition tag is rare and gives the player a one-year salary average of the top 10 highest paid players at the position. The original team can then match any contract offered by another team to the transition tag player. If the original team doesn’t match the offer, it does not receive any compensation.

So for instance we Transition tag ARob for 13 million. He now has the ability to negotiate with other teams if he chooses. If they come to an agreement the Jags have the right to match whatever he was offered, or to decline and let him walk, or neither and he plays under the tag. My thinking is he gets to semi-test the market and we get to gauge what others feel he is worth.

I could see SF or Chicago offering a huge record setting contract we wouldnt match.

(02-15-2018, 07:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 07:48 PM)knarnn Wrote: So for instance we Transition tag ARob for 13 million. He now has the ability to negotiate with other teams if he chooses. If they come to an agreement the Jags have the right to match whatever he was offered, or to decline and let him walk, or neither and he plays under the tag. My thinking is he gets to semi-test the market and we get to gauge what others feel he is worth.

I could see SF or Chicago offering a huge record setting contract we wouldnt match.

If that were the case then we would let him walk anyway. Do you see Jacksonville offering Arob a huge contract right now?

Yeah the transition tag only saves 2-3 mil I'm not sure that's worth the risk.

I would rather just use the franchise tag and be assured we keep him.

(02-15-2018, 04:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 03:43 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote: I mean they are speedy WR's don't get me wrong but no where are you finding our WR's getting as open as Landry on a consistent basis. And what kind of X guy did the dolphins have to compliment him? He was the horse of that offense what are you even talking about lol?

I guess I would agree with this as well. The problem being is that we do not have the luxury of a big jump ball WR if we are unable to sign AR15. In a perfect world yes, you want different types of wide outs but in OP's scenario we are stating AR15 is unavailable. Which means the next best option would be Landry, which is why my point still stands, as to why the original user asked "why does everyone keep on bringing up Landry." Which I replied "why wouldn't we?" Which is where this conversation came from. Because hes the next man up and at that point we would just need a number 1 WR regardless of type of WR.

(02-16-2018, 11:50 AM)NJ JagsFan Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 04:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Landry (and the phins in general)  would have benefited greatly by having a 6'2" plus receiver at X that could beat press and win jump balls.  They didn't have one either - but I bet they wish they did. 

I guess I would agree with this as well. The problem being is that we do not have the luxury of a big jump ball WR if we are unable to sign AR15. In a perfect world yes, you want different types of wide outs but in OP's scenario we are stating AR15 is unavailable. Which means the next best option would be Landry, which is why my point still stands, as to why the original user asked "why does everyone keep on bringing up Landry." Which I replied "why wouldn't we?" Which is where this conversation came from. Because hes the next man up and at that point we would just need a number 1 WR regardless of type of WR.

I see your point and I love Landry's skillset. He's versatile and talented. But he's still really a slot receiver. He ran 72% of his snaps from the slot last year. That's where he shines. He's like a more dynamic and gifted Julian Edelman. 

I don't want to go into 2018 with Cole being the only guy somewhat built to play outside consistently. 

If A-Rob doesn't sign and they decided to throw money at Landry - they'd have to burn an early pick on an outside receiver with prototypical size IMO. 

Do-able?  Yes.  Just not my preference of addressing the WR situation.

How is Landry a 'number 1'? The guy barely averages 10 yards a catch.

(02-16-2018, 12:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 11:50 AM)NJ JagsFan Wrote: I guess I would agree with this as well. The problem being is that we do not have the luxury of a big jump ball WR if we are unable to sign AR15. In a perfect world yes, you want different types of wide outs but in OP's scenario we are stating AR15 is unavailable. Which means the next best option would be Landry, which is why my point still stands, as to why the original user asked "why does everyone keep on bringing up Landry." Which I replied "why wouldn't we?" Which is where this conversation came from. Because hes the next man up and at that point we would just need a number 1 WR regardless of type of WR.

I see your point and I love Landry's skillset. He's versatile and talented. But he's still really a slot receiver. He ran 72% of his snaps from the slot last year. That's where he shines. He's like a more dynamic and gifted Julian Edelman. 

I don't want to go into 2018 with Cole being the only guy somewhat built to play outside consistently. 

If A-Rob doesn't sign and they decided to throw money at Landry - they'd have to burn an early pick on an outside receiver with prototypical size IMO. 

Ah but isn't Cole more of a wideout? Judging by recent memory he does play wideout more then he plays in a slot I thought.

After a quick google search, he played 23% of the snaps he had on the field in the slot. So the majority of his plays hes in the wideout spot.

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2018, 12:29 PM by NJ JagsFan.)

(02-16-2018, 12:06 PM)Rico Wrote: How is Landry a 'number 1'?  The guy barely averages 10 yards a catch.

Oh god you must have never watched a phins game. Outside of the top 3 (AB, Julio and Odell) there is no one to much better then him. Didn't he account for something crazy like 74% of the Dolphins catches last year?

Just for comparison AB had 101 receptions last year Landry had 112. The man doesn't get huge yards but when its 3rd down you know who the dolphins are going to throw it to and he is always some how open with separation.

Not to mention he's only 25, the guy is a viable option IMO.

I would like to make aware that I 100% would rather have AR15 but in this scenario where he isn't an option, the team should seriously consider Landry.

(02-16-2018, 12:20 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 12:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I see your point and I love Landry's skillset. He's versatile and talented. But he's still really a slot receiver. He ran 72% of his snaps from the slot last year. That's where he shines. He's like a more dynamic and gifted Julian Edelman. 

Ah but isn't Cole more of a wideout? Judging by recent memory he does play wideout more then he plays in a slot I thought.

After a quick google search, he played 23% of the snaps he had on the field in the slot. So the majority of his plays hes in the wideout spot.
Yeah - That's what I said. He's the only guy (if A-Rob walks) on the roster that's (somewhat)  built to play outside. 

I say "somewhat" because Cole really doesn't have the classic build or skill-set to consistently beat press coverage. At least not yet.  He relies on speed. 

That is not a good way to head into a season at WR. Having only one dude that is suited to play the X is just not enough.