Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What happens if ARob doesn't return?

(02-16-2018, 12:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 12:20 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote: Ah but isn't Cole more of a wideout? Judging by recent memory he does play wideout more then he plays in a slot I thought.

After a quick google search, he played 23% of the snaps he had on the field in the slot. So the majority of his plays hes in the wideout spot.
Yeah - That's what I said. He's the only guy (if A-Rob walks) on the roster that's (somewhat)  built to play outside. 

I say "somewhat" because Cole really doesn't have the classic build or skill-set to consistently beat press coverage. At least not yet.  He relies on speed. 

That is not a good way to head into a season at WR. Having only one dude that is suited to play the X is just not enough.

That's all under the assumption that we would still end up cutting Hurns and not trying to give Lee a deal.

Plus, I could be wrong but did Dede play slot the whole time? I honestly thought I saw him out wide a lot.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

AR15 is part of the equation... I just can't see him going anywhere else.

Especially with Bortles you need a guy like him with such an incredible catching radius and the ability to track the ball wherever it goes. Now if we had Drew Brees at QB we wouldn't even need ARob, but unless you have that kind of pinpoint accuracy at QB, you want a guy like ARob who can catch virtually anything. 
'02

(02-16-2018, 01:28 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 12:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah - That's what I said. He's the only guy (if A-Rob walks) on the roster that's (somewhat)  built to play outside. 

I say "somewhat" because Cole really doesn't have the classic build or skill-set to consistently beat press coverage. At least not yet.  He relies on speed. 

That is not a good way to head into a season at WR. Having only one dude that is suited to play the X is just not enough.

That's all under the assumption that we would still end up cutting Hurns and not trying to give Lee a deal.

Plus, I could be wrong but did Dede play slot the whole time? I honestly thought I saw him out wide a lot.

Dede played the Z a good amount. But rarely the X. He's even less suited to the X than Cole. 

Yes - I'm assuming they let Lee walk -  and Hurns' concussion history and skillset don't give me much confidence heading into 2018 with Hurns and Cole as your "big guys" at WR. 

Look - I think they need a true X receiver and you don't think it's such a priority. No big deal.  That's a reasonable opinion. 

I think they need a guy that's 6'2" or better, north of 200 pounds that can be very physical at the L.O.S. and catch some jump balls.  Especially if they are rolling with Blake in 2018.

(02-16-2018, 01:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 01:28 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote: That's all under the assumption that we would still end up cutting Hurns and not trying to give Lee a deal.

Dede played the Z a good amount. But rarely the X. He's even less suited to the X than Cole. 

Yes - I'm assuming they let Lee walk -  and Hurns' concussion history and skillset don't give me much confidence heading into 2018 with Hurns and Cole as your "big guys" at WR. 

Look - I think they need a true X receiver and you don't think it's such a priority. No big deal.  That's a reasonable opinion. 

I think they need a guy that's 6'2" or better, north of 200 pounds that can be very physical at the L.O.S. and catch some jump balls.  Especially if they are rolling with Blake in 2018.

Agreed, you have a reasonable opinion as well. Its like like what you're saying is wrong by any means it is just a different ideology meanwhile I have a different one. Neither really are wrong just a matter of opinion.

We don't need ARob. Just gotta have the defense score 8 TDs again next year and hold teams to 10 or less 8 times.... That's all.

(02-16-2018, 01:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 01:28 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote: That's all under the assumption that we would still end up cutting Hurns and not trying to give Lee a deal.

Obtaining a true X receiver is indeed a big deal.

I'm reminded of trying to replace Jimmy Smith including the Jason Hill experiment. Good split-ends don't exactly grow on trees. 

'02

(02-16-2018, 10:02 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 01:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Dede played the Z a good amount. But rarely the X. He's even less suited to the X than Cole. 

Obtaining a true X receiver is indeed a big deal.

I'm reminded of trying to replace Jimmy Smith Abe including the Jason Hill experiment. Good split-ends don't exactly grow on trees. 
The "no big deal" comment was in reference to my differing opinions with the other poster. Not about the X.
Obviously I think it's a big deal or I wouldn't have spent a half dozen posts trying to convince someone how important it is. 
I'm hoping they throw good money at A-rob so we don't have to find another X.

(02-16-2018, 02:07 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 01:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Dede played the Z a good amount. But rarely the X. He's even less suited to the X than Cole. 

Agreed, you have a reasonable opinion as well. Its like like what you're saying is wrong by any means it is just a different ideology meanwhile I have a different one. Neither really are wrong just a matter of opinion.

Phins tagged Landry.

I think A Rob gets the tag

(02-20-2018, 09:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 02:07 PM)NJ JagsFan Wrote: Agreed, you have a reasonable opinion as well. Its like like what you're saying is wrong by any means it is just a different ideology meanwhile I have a different one. Neither really are wrong just a matter of opinion.

Phins tagged Landry.

Just saw that, probably the same for Robinson.

From yesterday's OZone:

Gary from St. Augustine, FL:
The Miami Dolphins placed the franchise tag on Jarvis Landry Tuesday. Please tell me for sure the Jaguars will franchise Allen Robinson if they don’t re-sign him. We can’t lose A-Rob.

John: You’re asking me to say beyond a shadow of a doubt that Robinson will be with the Jaguars next season. I haven’t done that yet this offseason and I sure won’t do it now because I don’t have the impression Robinson being on this team in 2018 is anything close to a done deal. What you have had a lot this offseason is people assuming Robinson will be back, but that notion seems to exist because many observers – including myself for a while – see the Jaguars’ clear need at wide receiver and see franchising or re-signing Robinson as a logical enough solution that one of the two is guaranteed to happen. Here’s the problem: that assumption has ignored the possibility that not only could Robinson and the Jaguars be far apart on a long-term deal, but that the Jaguars could decide the $16 million franchise tag for wide receivers is too costly to use on Robinson. I’m not ignoring that possibility anymore. We’ll see if I’m wrong.

I'm getting a bit more worried about the direction this is going...

(02-22-2018, 11:48 AM)JagJohn Wrote: From yesterday's OZone:

The Miami Dolphins placed the franchise tag on Jarvis Landry Tuesday. Please tell me for sure the Jaguars will franchise Allen Robinson if they don’t re-sign him. We can’t lose A-Rob.

John: You’re asking me to say beyond a shadow of a doubt that Robinson will be with the Jaguars next season. I haven’t done that yet this offseason and I sure won’t do it now because I don’t have the impression Robinson being on this team in 2018 is anything close to a done deal. What you have had a lot this offseason is people assuming Robinson will be back, but that notion seems to exist because many observers – including myself for a while – see the Jaguars’ clear need at wide receiver and see franchising or re-signing Robinson as a logical enough solution that one of the two is guaranteed to happen. Here’s the problem: that assumption has ignored the possibility that not only could Robinson and the Jaguars be far apart on a long-term deal, but that the Jaguars could decide the $16 million franchise tag for wide receivers is too costly to use on Robinson. I’m not ignoring that possibility anymore. We’ll see if I’m wrong.

$16M is too much for Robinson. However, it does give the Jags a long look at him and a chance to move on without any future cap hit. That has value above and beyond Robinson's skill set.

The Transition Tag might be a better way to go. It's unlikely that another team will risk signing him to an unreasonably high-priced contract considering he's coming off an ACL injury, and had a down year in 2016. The Jags can match any offer another team makes, which should be much cheaper than $16M and would put Robinson in the position that he can't complain since the Jags would be paying top of the market for him in that case.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(02-22-2018, 12:44 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:

$16M is too much for Robinson. However, it does give the Jags a long look at him and a chance to move on without any future cap hit. That has value above and beyond Robinson's skill set.

The Transition Tag might be a better way to go. It's unlikely that another team will risk signing him to an unreasonably high-priced contract considering he's coming off an ACL injury, and had a down year in 2016. The Jags can match any offer another team makes, which should be much cheaper than $16M and would put Robinson in the position that he can't complain since the Jags would be paying top of the market for him in that case.

You're right, that could be a logical way to do it but it does make me nervous. A team like SF with a desperate need for WRs and tons of cap space could come in and blow us out the water...

According to Robinson his agent and the Jaguars have had no contact since training camp last year.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018, 09:12 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...arted-yet/

This is odd, I wounder if they have already made their mind up that they will tag A Rob or they just believe Cole and Westbrook will take the next step and dont feel A Rob is worth the huge contract. No way do we cut Hurns if A Rob is gone. It says they likely begin discussions next week, I hope so

Hmm. I wonder are they waiting for the Kirk stuff to play out before committing money?

Either way I believe Arob will be here in 2018

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018, 10:06 PM by knarnn.)

@mike_e_kaye
During my conversation with #Jaguars WR Allen Robinson, we discussed his impending free agency. He told me the two sides haven't had contract negotiations since last year's training camp.

Keep in mind, it's still early in the offseason and those negotiations still could happen.

6:04 PM · Feb 22, 2018 from Florida, USA

(02-22-2018, 12:44 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:

Been saying this from the jump.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(02-22-2018, 09:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...arted-yet/

This is odd, I wounder if they have already made their mind up that they will tag A Rob or they just believe Cole and Westbrook will take the next step and dont feel A Rob is worth the huge contract.  No way do we cut Hurns if A Rob is gone.  It says they likely begin discussions next week, I hope so

I hope they plan to keep him, 2016 was a down year for the whole offense. I know the argument is they made it to the AFC Championship without him but who's to say we wouldn't have made it to the   Super bowl with him.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

The Bears or Niners won't think 16 million is too much if we don't tag him. I think they will be falling over themselves to give him a contract bigger than the one Davante Adams just signed.

(02-23-2018, 12:44 AM)Upper Wrote: The Bears or Niners won't think 16 million is too much if we don't tag him. I think they will be falling over themselves to give him a contract bigger than the one Davante Adams just signed.

I may be wrong, but I just don't see some team offering him that kind of money, given his up and down production, as well as coming back from a major knee injury that kept him from playing all of 2017.