Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Thresholds of Violence: How School Shootings Catch On

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2018, 07:51 PM by americus 2.0.)

A friend of mine share this article about "how school shootings catch on". Full disclosure, I had to take a pain pill so I couldn't read the whole thing, but what I gathered of it was interesting. I thought I'd post it and see what everyone's opinion was. It's a bit lengthy, but interesting. Edited to add: I'm not sure why the link thing is acting stupid.
[/url]
[url=https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/10/19/thresholds-of-violence]Article

"On the evening of April 29th last year, in the southern Minnesota town of Waseca, a woman was doing the dishes when she looked out her kitchen window and saw a young man walking through her back yard. He was wearing a backpack and carrying a fast-food bag and was headed in the direction of the MiniMax Storage facility next to her house. Something about him didn’t seem right. Why was he going through her yard instead of using the sidewalk? He walked through puddles, not around them. He fiddled with the lock of Unit 129 as if he were trying to break in. She called the police. A group of three officers arrived and rolled up the unit’s door. The young man was standing in the center. He was slight of build, with short-cropped brown hair and pale skin. Scattered around his feet was an assortment of boxes and containers: motor oil, roof cement, several Styrofoam coolers, a can of ammunition, a camouflage bag, and cardboard boxes labelled “red iron oxide,” filled with a red powder. His name was John LaDue. He was seventeen years old......"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Thanks for posting this.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Follow up story.

"Psychologist James Gilbertson told the court that LaDue had been stuck in “grievance-oriented thinking,” focusing on retribution of people and institutions that he believed had been dismissive of him, treated him unfairly and failed to appreciate his greatness."

And there's the common thread, the ultimate cause of the behavior and its escalation in recent years. A grievance oriented culture full of narcissists blaming other people for their own shortcomings.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-17-2018, 09:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: "Psychologist James Gilbertson told the court that LaDue had been stuck in “grievance-oriented thinking,” focusing on retribution of people and institutions that he believed had been dismissive of him, treated him unfairly and failed to appreciate his greatness."

And there's the common thread, the ultimate cause of the behavior and its escalation in recent years. A grievance oriented culture full of narcissists blaming other people for their own shortcomings.

That does seem to be the culture we're in - as personified by the person elected President. The election of 2016 kind of closed the circle.

Expect more mass killings in the future. And of course, more "thoughts and prayers."
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2018, 04:08 PM by americus 2.0.)

(02-17-2018, 02:49 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 09:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: "Psychologist James Gilbertson told the court that LaDue had been stuck in “grievance-oriented thinking,” focusing on retribution of people and institutions that he believed had been dismissive of him, treated him unfairly and failed to appreciate his greatness."

That does seem to be the culture we're in - as personified by the person elected President. The election of 2016 kind of closed the circle.

Expect more mass killings in the future. And of course, more "thoughts and prayers."

This problem cannot be blamed on any one person or any one political party. Evidently you missed the point of the article, didn't actually read it, or you don't care and just want to point fingers.

(02-16-2018, 11:37 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Thanks for posting this.

You're welcome.