Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB Lamar Jackson or G Isaiah Wynn

I don't know how comfortable I'd be taking him in Rd. 1, but either via trade back or with our 2nd rd pick I think I'd be okay with it

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-17-2018, 06:23 AM)Upper Wrote: If they're desperate to win now at all costs it'll be a guard or TE probably.

If they are serious about trying to keep the window alive longer by passing the baton from Bortles to another rookie contract QB it should be a 1st round QB, hopefully Jackson but I think they'll like Rudolph more.

I don't really agree with the first part of this but i i do agree with Rudolph would be better than Jackson. I;m just not sure i follow you on the "this team is desperate to win now if they take a TE over a QB" bandwagon.

(02-18-2018, 10:38 AM)Vicbow Rules Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 10:34 PM)JackCity Wrote: Backup tackle for 2018? Not a fan of his at all, even if it's as potential Parnell successor.

I am a Notre Dame fan and watch about every one of their games.  I might be wrong, but I think this guy is waayyyyyyyy overrated.  He is really good with the run game, but I feel like every time I watched him he struggled against speed rushers.  If you struggle with speed at the college level you will at the pro level for sure.  

Even my father-in-law who is a die hard ND fan and makes excuses for everyone in their program who is not successful says this guy is overrated.  If he was available in round 2 I would grab him, but not over Wynn.

I don't hate Lamar Jackson, but he reminds me of Mariota and I have been very clear that I am not overly impressed with Mariota.  That being said, #29 pick vs. #2 pick might make me change my mind.

MM has issues with footwork and discipline giving him trouble with consistency. He’s a good LT at the collegiate level but I envision him snagging a guard spot (and starting on the oline as a 1st rounder) before dethroning Parnell from his RT position. 

I’d be happy with Wynn as well but MM has added value as a swing tackle whereas Wynn may solely be an interior player on the next level. I don’t care who they draft as long as it’s a talented big ugly who will contribute from the getgo.

I don't see it in Jackson. I don't think he's any better a prospect than Bortles, and I think we've found Bortles' ceiling. I don't know this draft board well enough yet to throw out a name, but I'd like to see the Jags grab a college OT who can play guard for a year or two then take over for Parnell down the line.

I would take Lamar Jackson and not even blink or think twice about it. At the minimum you're getting a rare athlete at the QB position who could develop his arm and mechanics as Blake Bortles plays out his final year in 2018 under contract. If he struggles mid season we have a viable option to replace him with. If he goes down due to injury. We would still have a viable option to move on with.

I could see Jackson working out just fine in Hackett's west coast style of offense. And I think with Fournette and his ability along with Jackson's you could possibly get a Carolina Panthers type of backfield effect. Where the defense really has to guess now and work out who they're going to focus on pre snap. Re sign Allen Robinson. Draft a TE like Mark Andrews later on and start grooming him up with him in this offense too. Could work.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-19-2018, 03:37 PM)CAPTAIN Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 10:38 AM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: I am a Notre Dame fan and watch about every one of their games.  I might be wrong, but I think this guy is waayyyyyyyy overrated.  He is really good with the run game, but I feel like every time I watched him he struggled against speed rushers.  If you struggle with speed at the college level you will at the pro level for sure.  

Even my father-in-law who is a die hard ND fan and makes excuses for everyone in their program who is not successful says this guy is overrated.  If he was available in round 2 I would grab him, but not over Wynn.

I don't hate Lamar Jackson, but he reminds me of Mariota and I have been very clear that I am not overly impressed with Mariota.  That being said, #29 pick vs. #2 pick might make me change my mind.

MM has issues with footwork and discipline giving him trouble with consistency. He’s a good LT at the collegiate level but I envision him snagging a guard spot (and starting on the oline as a 1st rounder) before dethroning Parnell from his RT position. 

I’d be happy with Wynn as well but MM has added value as a swing tackle whereas Wynn may solely be an interior player on the next level. I don’t care who they draft as long as it’s a talented big ugly who will contribute from the getgo.

This is a really valid point.  I hadn't thought of him playing guard and having the option to play tackle if needed.  That does increase his value.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(02-19-2018, 03:56 PM)TJBender Wrote: I don't see it in Jackson. I don't think he's any better a prospect than Bortles, and I think we've found Bortles' ceiling. I don't know this draft board well enough yet to throw out a name, but I'd like to see the Jags grab a college OT who can play guard for a year or two then take over for Parnell down the line.

Jackson's tools just blow Bortles out of the water. He has so much more velocity and so much better mechanics. He also has vast experience reading defenses and showing good decision making in the Petrino offense that was far more complex than what Bortles ran with the Jags this year.

His biggest flaw, the narrow base when he sets to throw, explains why he has erratic accuracy trying to throw outside the numbers and is also one of the easiest flaws to fix mechanically. Give him a year, or hell maybe two depending where he ends up, and he could be a star.

There are a lot of guys to like in this draft class at QB. I think Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, and Rudolph all seem to have Franchise QB potential

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018, 04:13 AM by chris hill.)

I agree Jags02..
This dude is a a straight baller I'm now convinced after watching his highlights that this dude with Fournette oh boy watch out..
Deshaun Watson had 116 total TD in college.. This guy had 119 TD..

https://youtu.be/CBx2rostYBk

He won the heisman for a reason people its that clear when u watch his tape..

In this video I'm noticing that the few times he actually does throw, he has a guy streaking wide open eiher downfield over the middle. At no point do you see him throwing into a tight window. When it comes to a guy potentially starting, you want a guy who can make all the throws or at least most of the throws. I sense from this that Lamar only has a few throws that he's able to make.

Watching this reminds me of watching Matt Jones' highlights when we drafted him, only Matt Jones was faster.

'02

There is no way that we're drafting Lamar Jackson. The Jags are doing everything possible to incorporate a pro style offense in the 1980's mold so drafting Jackson would totally go against their long term strategy. The team that drafts Jackson needs to think open offense that rely's on a Darren Sproles / Reggie Bush type RB to spread the field.

(02-20-2018, 03:51 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: There is no way that we're drafting Lamar Jackson.  The Jags are doing everything possible to incorporate a pro style offense in the 1980's mold so drafting Jackson would totally go against their long term strategy.  The team that drafts Jackson needs to think open offense that rely's on a Darren Sproles / Reggie Bush type RB to spread the field.
Except Jackson comes from the most pro-style offense of almost any QB in this draft.

(02-20-2018, 04:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 03:51 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: There is no way that we're drafting Lamar Jackson.  The Jags are doing everything possible to incorporate a pro style offense in the 1980's mold so drafting Jackson would totally go against their long term strategy.  The team that drafts Jackson needs to think open offense that rely's on a Darren Sproles / Reggie Bush type RB to spread the field.
Except Jackson comes from the most pro-style offense of almost any QB in this draft.

Refresh my memory. Which QB in the NFL, even came close to rushing 232 times last season? That's how many rushes Jackson had. Spin it any way you like, that's not a pro style system in any way, shape or form.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018, 06:25 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-20-2018, 04:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
Did you watch any Louisville games the last few years?  He didnt take many snaps at all under center and was far from a pro-style offense.

Petrino changed his traditional "pro-style offense" when Jackson was his QB. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/9...ar-jackson

(02-20-2018, 12:54 AM)JNev Wrote: There are a lot of guys to like in this draft class at QB. I think Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, and Rudolph all seem to have Franchise QB potential

All these guys definitely have some likeable traits. Unfortunately, each also has legitimate questionmarks. Of these 6, I say 1 will end up being a great player and difference-maker for their franchise, 2 others will be average starters, and 3 will be busts. Nobody really knows for sure which guys fall into each category and that's where luck comes in. I expect the 1st 4 on your list to be long gone by pick 29, so Caldwell and Coughlin will only have to do exhaustive research on Rudolph and Jackson. If they don't "love" either guy, they need to just take the best available offensive lineman in round 1 and tight end in round 2. They can take a project like Mike White later in the draft.

(02-20-2018, 01:26 PM)Jags02 Wrote: In this video I'm noticing that the few times he actually does throw, he has a guy streaking wide open eiher downfield over the middle. At no point do you see him throwing into a tight window. When it comes to a guy potentially starting, you want a guy who can make all the throws or at least most of the throws. I sense from this that Lamar only has a few throws that he's able to make.

Watching this reminds me of watching Matt Jones' highlights when we drafted him, only Matt Jones was faster.

Watch this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/patrickclaybo...twterm%5E3

A lot of these passes Lamar is throwing the WR open in addition to fitting the ball into tight windows.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Lamar is the most polarizing player in this draft.

He could end up making some team look really smart or get people fired.

Could you imagine the arguments on this board if we had a top 5 pick again?

“Best QB is Darnold. No Rosen. No Mayfield! No it’s Allen!”

(02-20-2018, 10:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Lamar is the most polarizing player in this draft.

It makes you wonder how much you even watched him play to say he comes from the most pro-style offense of pretty much any QB

I'd pull the trigger on Jackson. That guy could be a superstar in this league if he can stay healthy.

(02-20-2018, 10:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 10:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Lamar is the most polarizing player in this draft.

It makes you wonder how much you even watched him play to say he comes from the most pro-style offense of pretty much any QB

Pro-style offense =/= taking snaps under center...which is what I think you are trying to say. Heavy shotgun is the norm for most teams now.

Louisville's offense had Lamar doing more complex route concepts, pre snap reads, and audibling/adjusting than the other QBs. Almost every evaluator you read will say that.