Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Getting a top four QB

I don't think Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield will drop. Allen might, but I don't have him as a top 4 QB in this class either.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-19-2018, 05:35 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: There's a lot of things that need to happen before we can clearly project any of these QBs are going to drop in the draft order.

I've run about 500 computer simulations and Rosen and Allen are the most likely to fall out of the top ten.

Before the Senior Bowl, I was drafting Josh Allen regularly with the 29th pick. Now it is not so.

The point is after the NFL Scouting Combine we should have a better sense of what is what.

The impact that the Senior Bowl had on the sim runs I was doing convinced me that we really really need to snag A. J. McCarron.

I really hope that Tom Coughlin will decline the option on Bortles based upon past performance and not temporary wrist injury, which was so slight it did not prevent Bortles from playing at any time during the 2017 season.

You should change you name to I<3AJ. I have never seen someone push this hard for a back up QB. I understand you have your opinion of the guy but jesus man, every thread that i see you post, you bring up AJ. Is it one of those things where alot of people disagree with you so you feel the need to bash them over the head with your opinion scenarios?

Pete Prisco was on with Frangie today and indicated that theJaguars really like Mason Rudolph. He feels they will stick with Blake this year, but draft a q.b. also. Would they take Rudolph in the 1st or try to trade out of the first with a team willing to part with a mid to high 2nd rounder and 3rd or 4th rounder. This would make sense since most mocks have Rudolph going somewhere in the middle of the 2nd round. The Jags could then still get an offensive lineman and tight end in the 3rd and/or 4th rounds.

(02-19-2018, 06:38 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 12:24 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So we give up our first and probably second round picks draft a backup QB?   No way I would do that.   I'd rather try to win now with Blake and some improvements at TE and OL than to mortgage our future for a backup QB.

Backup QB? Josh Allen is a starting QB... in not this season then for sure next season.

(02-19-2018, 05:35 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: The impact that the Senior Bowl had on the sim runs I was doing convinced me that we really really need to snag A. J. McCarron.

I really don't get the lure of AJ McCarron considering Blake Bortles is flat out a better QB.
No he's not. Bortles should not be confused with the Jaguars' sudden success this past season. Blake's improvement since being drafted third over-all has been marginal, at best. 

Bortles remains extremely inconsistent as a passer and relatively shows remarkable improvement with significantly less pass attempts this past season. 102 less passes by Bortles in 2017 and none of the markers indicate any real appreciable drop off in passing game production.

In other words, the less we see of Blake Bortles, the better.

(02-20-2018, 12:06 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: No he's not. Bortles should not be confused with the Jaguars' sudden success this past season. Blake's improvement since being drafted third over-all has been marginal, at best. 

Bortles remains extremely inconsistent as a passer and relatively shows remarkable improvement with significantly less pass attempts this past season. 102 less passes by Bortles in 2017 and none of the markers indicate any real appreciable drop off in passing game production.

Not entirely sure the sentence in bold means Bortles is a bad QB.

Bortles' play during that stretch winning seven of eight and the divisional playoffs and AFCCG was damn good.

I think he was able to accomplish that because the offense provided him balance.  He was able to do that because he wasn't put in too many impossible situations.

I'm not saying we can't upgrade him.

But I'd also like to see him in this offense another year.  With a healthy Allen Robinson playing the whole year.  With a TE that can contribute in the passing game.  With further improvement from Westbrook and Cole.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-20-2018, 12:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 12:06 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: No he's not. Bortles should not be confused with the Jaguars' sudden success this past season. Blake's improvement since being drafted third over-all has been marginal, at best. 

Bortles' play during that stretch winning seven of eight and the divisional playoffs and AFCCG was damn good.

I think he was able to accomplish that because the offense provided him balance.  He was able to do that because he wasn't put in too many impossible situations.

I'm not saying we can't upgrade him.

But I'd also like to see him in this offense another year.  With a healthy Allen Robinson playing the whole year.  With a TE that can contribute in the passing game.  With further improvement from Westbrook and Cole.
I agree, this season should be the first where he will have a complete team around from top to bottom. Line, receivers, RB, TE, and hopefully have everyone healthy. in other words, he will have the complete package and be in the final prove it year of his rookie contract.

This guy will be playing for a 100+ mil dollar contract. I think we will see the best that Blake can possibly give. The way i see it, this next season will determine his career. This season will determine whether he becomes just another qb bouncing around the league as a back up, or a franchise guy.

(02-20-2018, 12:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

There are numerous things to consider: 7 or 8 scoring drives this past season were one-play defensive returns for TDs. Eliminate those points from the thinking. Were they the difference in the outcome of ball games? Maybe.

When the Jaguars commit to run the football folks get upset because it takes away passing statistics. Bortles figures are not the most important thing. 

Blake's TD throws reduced from 23 to 21 this past season. You can make a knee-jerk and state that the running game "robbed" Bortles of two TD passes. Yet, the Jaguars' rushing TDs went from just 8 in 2016 to 18 rushing TDs in 2017.

The case for Blake Bortles closes when you arrive at the realization that unlike the rushing attack, the Jaguars are at a stall improving Blake Bortles, who remains a basic shot-gun college quarterback unable to process swiftly enough to become a drop-back passer with a run-heavy offensive attack. 

Despite Bortles flat-line in terms of production, the Jaguars did find a way to increase offensive production to a point of league-respectability. The bottom line is Bortles represents a awful amount of waste. Running the football placed significant limitations on the allowable amount of offense wasted by Bortles.

By contrast, as one national writer pointed out, the Jaguars are as close to the Alabama model as you can get. Our defense now stacks up against anybody. Our offensive identity is to run the football. In that way, we already are a pro team like Alabama. Bortles does NOT fit into that model as he requires the lion's share of offensive plays to generate the statistics which keep his career alive.

A. J. McCarron does fit the Jaguars' model. At Alabama, he was mainly tasked with generating a highly efficient passing game and manage to keep the aerial attack at peak production. His results along side Alabama's bruising rushing attack speaks volumes of a quarterback capable of coexisting with a powerful running game like we have on our hands.

Can Bortles do the same? No. In fact, the Jaguars discovered the waste Bortles is responsible for and turned it into offensive production a way other than relying upon Blake Bortles.

In fairness, one of the 'pitfalls' of remarkable improvements in team defense and special teams is 'the short field'. Great defenses and special teams tend to hand the ball over to the offense with less distances to pay dirt. Whenever you see less than expected yardage by an offense you have to look to scoring summary for the 'short field' effect.

(02-19-2018, 11:39 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 09:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Realistically, if one fell to the #10, #11 or #12 area we could trade up for future picks, but the one most likely to fall would probably be Allen and I want no part of him. If Mayfield  or Rosen was the one falling that far, I'd make a move to trade up, but that is probably not happening.

You're probably right, so I went with Allen falling and created an updated mock... in this mock, the Bills trade up to the #4 pick to get Mayfield but Allen drops as the Broncos and Jets both make a hard pass. The Jaguars use their 2nd round pick to trade up to #17 for Allen...

1. Browns – QB Sam Darnold
  2. Giants – QB Josh Rosen
  3. Colts – DE Brad Chubb
  4. Bills (through Browns through Texans) - QB Baker Mayfield
  5. Broncos – DB Minkah Fitzpatrick
  6. Jets – RB Saquon Barkley
  7. Bucs – OT Orlando Brown
  8. Bears – CB Denzel Ward
  9. 49ers – LB Tremaine Edmunds
  10. Raiders – LB Roquan Smith
  11. Dolphins – G Quenton Nelson
  12. Bengals – OT Mike McGlinchey
  13. Redskins – DE Marcus Davenport
  14. Packers – CB Mike Hughes
  15. Cards – WR Calvin Ridley
  16. Ravens – OT Conner Williams
  17. Jaguars (through Chargers) - QB Josh Allen
  18. Seahawks – S Derwin James
  19. Cowboys – DT Vita Vea
  20. Lions – DT Maurice Hurst
  21. Browns (through Bills) – DT Da’Ron Payne
  22. Browns (through Bills through Chiefs) – WR Courtland Sutton
  23. Rams – CB Josh Jackson
  24. Panthers – G Isaiah Wynn
  25. Titans –C Billy Price
  26. Falcons – DT Harrison Phillips
  27. Saints – TE Dallas Goedert
  28. Steelers – CB Isaiah Oliver
  29. Chargers (through Jaguars)- WR Christian Kirk
  30. Vikings- QB Lamar Jackson
  31. Patriots - DE Harold Landry
  32. Eagles - LB Rashaan Evans
Why not Allen?
Pass on James, Payne, Jackson, Wynn, or Price? This is a run first team. They'll look for defense or Oline. Don't trade up, Blake does what the HC wants already. Remember the game against PATS was lost by Marrone. Both the offense and defense went soft, but everyone wants to blame the coordinators. BALONEY! Marrone will either opt for the best D guy or best o lineman.

(02-20-2018, 02:07 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Pass on James, Payne, Jackson, Wynn, or Price? This is a run first team. They'll look for defense or Oline. Don't trade up, Blake does what the HC wants already. Remember the game against PATS was lost by Marrone. Both the offense and defense went soft, but everyone wants to blame the coordinators. BALONEY! Marrone will either opt for the best D guy or best o lineman.

Maybe it's less what they want and more what they feel they have to do because of Blake's limitations? Coughlin and Caldwell weren't exactly shy about slinging it around when Eli Manning and Matt Ryan were under center.

(02-20-2018, 02:12 AM)Upper Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 02:07 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Pass on James, Payne, Jackson, Wynn, or Price? This is a run first team. They'll look for defense or Oline. Don't trade up, Blake does what the HC wants already. Remember the game against PATS was lost by Marrone. Both the offense and defense went soft, but everyone wants to blame the coordinators. BALONEY! Marrone will either opt for the best D guy or best o lineman.

Maybe it's less what they want and more what they feel they have to do because of Blake's limitations? Coughlin and Caldwell weren't exactly shy about slinging it around when Eli Manning and Matt Ryan were under center.

Blakes limitations mean nothing. Did you not watch the Pats game? They went soft. They WANT to run. They WANT to ball control. MARRONE SAID HE  WISHES TO RUN EVERY PLAY. Why is this so hard for people to understand? They'll likely go D or O line... and people will be upset but its the way the FO is moving. I am fine with it as long as they get some hogs on the o-line, but if they get cute.... boy is this going to ruin an all time defense.... and players WILL leave.

(02-20-2018, 12:05 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Pete Prisco was on with Frangie today and indicated that theJaguars really like Mason Rudolph. He feels they will stick with Blake this year, but draft a q.b. also. Would they take Rudolph in the 1st or try to trade out of the first with a team willing to part with a mid to high 2nd rounder and 3rd or 4th rounder. This would make sense since most mocks have Rudolph going somewhere in the middle of the 2nd round. The Jags could then still get an offensive lineman and tight end in the 3rd and/or 4th rounds.

This is the general scenario I see happening. Bortles sticks around for at least one more season and we draft a guy to compete. And I don't think 4 QBs go top 10, like someone else said, after FA we will start to get a better idea.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(02-20-2018, 06:28 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 12:05 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Pete Prisco was on with Frangie today and indicated that theJaguars really like Mason Rudolph. He feels they will stick with Blake this year, but draft a q.b. also. Would they take Rudolph in the 1st or try to trade out of the first with a team willing to part with a mid to high 2nd rounder and 3rd or 4th rounder. This would make sense since most mocks have Rudolph going somewhere in the middle of the 2nd round. The Jags could then still get an offensive lineman and tight end in the 3rd and/or 4th rounds.

This is the general scenario I see happening. Bortles sticks around for at least one more season and we draft a guy to compete. And I don't think 4 QBs go top 10, like someone else said, after FA we will start to get a better idea.

Right now, I do have 4 QB's in the top 10, but that's because for some reason I am leaning more and more that Cousins will somehow end up in Minnesota and that Foles will stay with the Eagles. I don't see any more starting FA QB's out there. I believe Keenum goes back to being a backup/short term starter for some team that drafts a rookie QB. I believe Bridgewater is too much of a risk at this point to throw him into a starting role, so I believe he re-signs in Minnesota as Cousins backup. I believe Tyrod Taylor is a short term starter for another team that will take a QB early. Teams are now realizing Bradford is way too injury prone to trust as a starting QB and McCarron will be signed by someone to compete with a rookie for the starting job.

(02-20-2018, 01:51 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 12:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Not entirely sure the sentence in bold means Bortles is a bad QB.

There are numerous things to consider: 7 or 8 scoring drives this past season were one-play defensive returns for TDs. Eliminate those points from the thinking. Were they the difference in the outcome of ball games? Maybe.

When the Jaguars commit to run the football folks get upset because it takes away passing statistics. Bortles figures are not the most important thing. 

Blake's TD throws reduced from 23 to 21 this past season. You can make a knee-jerk and state that the running game "robbed" Bortles of two TD passes. Yet, the Jaguars' rushing TDs went from just 8 in 2016 to 18 rushing TDs in 2017.

The case for Blake Bortles closes when you arrive at the realization that unlike the rushing attack, the Jaguars are at a stall improving Blake Bortles, who remains a basic shot-gun college quarterback unable to process swiftly enough to become a drop-back passer with a run-heavy offensive attack. 

Despite Bortles flat-line in terms of production, the Jaguars did find a way to increase offensive production to a point of league-respectability. The bottom line is Bortles represents a awful amount of waste. Running the football placed significant limitations on the allowable amount of offense wasted by Bortles.

By contrast, as one national writer pointed out, the Jaguars are as close to the Alabama model as you can get. Our defense now stacks up against anybody. Our offensive identity is to run the football. In that way, we already are a pro team like Alabama. Bortles does NOT fit into that model as he requires the lion's share of offensive plays to generate the statistics which keep his career alive.

A. J. McCarron does fit the Jaguars' model. At Alabama, he was mainly tasked with generating a highly efficient passing game and manage to keep the aerial attack at peak production. His results along side Alabama's bruising rushing attack speaks volumes of a quarterback capable of coexisting with a powerful running game like we have on our hands.

Can Bortles do the same? No. In fact, the Jaguars discovered the waste Bortles is responsible for and turned it into offensive production a way other than relying upon Blake Bortles.

In fairness, one of the 'pitfalls' of remarkable improvements in team defense and special teams is 'the short field'. Great defenses and special teams tend to hand the ball over to the offense with less distances to pay dirt. Whenever you see less than expected yardage by an offense you have to look to scoring summary for the 'short field' effect.

Eliminate those defensive scores, the Jaguars are still around 11th or 12th in scoring, which still represents vast improvement over previous years.

Also consider Bortles was working without a true #1 WR for 15 and 3/4 games this year, and for much of the latter portion of the season, played with two rookies (a 4th round pick and a UDFA) and a street free agent at WR.  The team also played without anything resembling a constant receiving threat at TE.

With Bortles and without defensive scores, the Jaguars still put up 23 against a good Seattle team, 31 on the road in the playoffs against a good Pittsburgh defense, and 20 against New England (something Pittsburgh didn't do in their game against the Pats).

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018, 10:35 AM by atburg.)

(02-20-2018, 12:06 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:

Backup QB? Josh Allen is a starting QB... in not this season then for sure next season.

I really don't get the lure of AJ McCarron considering Blake Bortles is flat out a better QB.
No he's not. Bortles should not be confused with the Jaguars' sudden success this past season. Blake's improvement since being drafted third over-all has been marginal, at best. 

The fact that I have suffered, and celebrated as a Tide fan for 36 years..... Your trolling is really getting on my nerves!!

The rushing attack was less bruising , and more finesse with Yeldon starting. You would probably know that, if you actually watched ...

(02-20-2018, 12:06 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:

Blake had 35 TDs in 2015 alone. McCarron had 6 TDs that year, and that's all he's ever had... 6 total carreerTDs. Blake is gold in the red zone. McCarron... not so much. 
'02

(02-20-2018, 10:31 AM)atburg Wrote:

The fact that I have suffered, and celebrated as a Tide fan for 36 years..... Your trolling is really getting on my nerves!!

The rushing attack was less bruising , and more finesse with Yeldon starting. You would probably know that, if you actually watched ...
Who. Cares. About. College.

(02-20-2018, 07:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 06:28 AM)Achilles Wrote: This is the general scenario I see happening. Bortles sticks around for at least one more season and we draft a guy to compete. And I don't think 4 QBs go top 10, like someone else said, after FA we will start to get a better idea.

Right now, I do have 4 QB's in the top 10, but that's because for some reason I am leaning more and more that Cousins will somehow end up in Minnesota and that Foles will stay with the Eagles. I don't see any more starting FA QB's out there. I believe Keenum goes back to being a backup/short term starter for some team that drafts a rookie QB. I believe Bridgewater is too much of a risk at this point to throw him into a starting role, so I believe he re-signs in Minnesota as Cousins backup. I believe Tyrod Taylor is a short term starter for another team that will take a QB early. Teams are now realizing Bradford is way too injury prone to trust as a starting QB and McCarron will be signed by someone to compete with a rookie for the starting job.
Cousins is going to Denver

(02-20-2018, 05:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 07:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Right now, I do have 4 QB's in the top 10, but that's because for some reason I am leaning more and more that Cousins will somehow end up in Minnesota and that Foles will stay with the Eagles. I don't see any more starting FA QB's out there. I believe Keenum goes back to being a backup/short term starter for some team that drafts a rookie QB. I believe Bridgewater is too much of a risk at this point to throw him into a starting role, so I believe he re-signs in Minnesota as Cousins backup. I believe Tyrod Taylor is a short term starter for another team that will take a QB early. Teams are now realizing Bradford is way too injury prone to trust as a starting QB and McCarron will be signed by someone to compete with a rookie for the starting job.
Cousins is going to Denver

Maybe, but if Minnesota comes in with a good bid, I bet he picks the Vikings. They have the money as well. It should be interesting. I'd be shocked if he went to the Jets or Browns though.

(02-20-2018, 05:24 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 05:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Cousins is going to Denver

Maybe, but if Minnesota comes in with a good bid, I bet he picks the Vikings. They have the money as well. It should be interesting. I'd be shocked if he went to the Jets or Browns though.
I could see this, what does this mean for TB? Would bridgewater all of a sudden be a trade piece? And no, I do not see jets or browns being a destination he would pick. Denver seems like the most likely.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018, 10:33 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-20-2018, 05:24 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 05:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Cousins is going to Denver

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/02...r-broncos/

Im sure he talked about where he wants to go with a few of his teamates

(02-20-2018, 10:30 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 05:24 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Maybe, but if Minnesota comes in with a good bid, I bet he picks the Vikings. They have the money as well. It should be interesting. I'd be shocked if he went to the Jets or Browns though.
I could see this, what does this mean for TB? Would bridgewater all of a sudden be a trade piece? And no, I do not see jets or browns being a destination he would pick. Denver seems like the most likely.

Teddy is a FA, they didnt pick up his 5th year option