Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Peter King lists Mason Rudolph a need for Jacksonville Jaguars..

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I like this guy. What are the odds that he falls to our 2nd round position?

I'd pass. Don't get the love for him at all. I watched a lot of his games once the season ended. Nothing inspiring. Nothing at all.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018, 02:56 AM by TheDogCatcher.)

(02-20-2018, 12:50 AM)chris hill Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/blackandtea...guars/amp/

I hate this mentality. Sportswriters tend to take a buffet approach to the draft. Selecting the 5th or 6th rated guy at a premium position is not going to fix the gaping hole. It’s usually a wasted pick.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

I think Lamar Jackson is worthy of the 29th pick..

https://youtu.be/CBx2rostYBk

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018, 04:56 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-20-2018, 01:20 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: I like this guy. What are the odds that he falls to our 2nd round position?

IMO, very slim. We could trade back from late round 1, to early round 2 and possibly pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick, allowing us to get Rudolph, a very good OG and a TE. The extra pick we add in the first 3 rounds could go to a WR, LB or Nickle.

(02-20-2018, 02:54 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 12:50 AM)chris hill Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/blackandtea...guars/amp/

I hate this mentality. Sportswriters tend to take a buffet approach to the draft. Selecting the 5th or 6th rated guy at a premium position is not going to fix the gaping hole. It’s usually a wasted pick.

Some people have him much higher than the 5th or 6th rated guy. Personally, I'd take him over Darnold, Allen and certainly over Jackson.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018, 05:02 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-20-2018, 04:06 AM)chris hill Wrote: I think Lamar Jackson is worthy of the 29th pick..

No way. I highly doubt he even gets taken in round 1. He's too much of a project. He's years away from competing for a starting job. He needs to go to a team with a very good, older QB who might retire in the next 3 years or so. That would give him time to correct his mistakes, learn to be a pocket passer and hit the weight room adding much needed bulk to his rail thin frame.

(02-20-2018, 01:46 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I'd pass. Don't get the love for him at all. I watched a lot of his games once the season ended. Nothing inspiring. Nothing at all.

Are you crazy? His accuracy and consistency are miles ahead of Bortles. He's consistently putting the ball right in between the numbers of his receivers. That is something Bortles can't do when his receivers are running free.

(02-20-2018, 04:59 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 04:06 AM)chris hill Wrote: I think Lamar Jackson is worthy of the 29th pick..

No way. I highly doubt he even gets taken in round 1. He's too much of a project. He's years away from competing for a starting job. He needs to go to a team with a very good, older QB who might retire in the next 3 years or so. That would give him time to correct his mistakes, learn to be a pocket passer and hit the weight room adding much needed bulk to his rail thin frame.

(02-20-2018, 01:46 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I'd pass. Don't get the love for him at all. I watched a lot of his games once the season ended. Nothing inspiring. Nothing at all.

Are you crazy? His accuracy and consistency are miles ahead of Bortles. He's consistently putting the ball right in between the numbers of his receivers. That is something Bortles can't do when his receivers are running free.

No. No, I am not crazy. He is putting the ball in between the numbers in spread offense where they do no huddle. He lacks consistency and accuracy in it. He reaks of a bust. If the jags take him I hope I am wrong but nothing I see golden about the kid. Bortles can run the O fine.

(02-20-2018, 06:04 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 04:59 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No way. I highly doubt he even gets taken in round 1. He's too much of a project. He's years away from competing for a starting job. He needs to go to a team with a very good, older QB who might retire in the next 3 years or so. That would give him time to correct his mistakes, learn to be a pocket passer and hit the weight room adding much needed bulk to his rail thin frame.

No. No, I am not crazy. He is putting the ball in between the numbers in spread offense where they do no huddle. He lacks consistency and accuracy in it. He reaks of a bust. If the jags take him I hope I am wrong but nothing I see golden about the kid. Bortles can run the O fine.

So much wrong with this paragraph. First you say rudolph is putting the ball between the numbers of his receivers, then you say he lacks consistency and accuracy. He can't be both. He is either an accurate passer or he isn't. He ranks in the top 20 in accuracy in college, so that should be put to rest. Yes, his system is a spread where they do no huddle. Does that mean he can't adapt to a new system? Of course not. In fact, more and more college teams are running this type of system in college, so there may come a day where no major universities run a pro style offense anymore. What do we do then? If we need a QB, we're gonna have to pick one, no matter the system they come from. Bortles can't run the offense "fine". The coaches have no confidence in him which is why the playbook is so simple. A limited playbook for the offense is not good for this team. We've gotta find a way to keep defenses on their toes and unless Bortles gets way better, that won't happen. Teams will just start stacking the box, challenging Bortles to throw it downfield and we all know that's when he becomes highly erratic.

Does he have any credibility? The media tends to think and act like they are some kind of mafioso. It's a shame that sportswriters are NOT required to disclose financial relationships they have with sports agents. When a sportswriter takes cash as a "media consultant" to a sports agent on behalf of one of his clients, that translates to he's being bribed to write favorably about a player. Typically, a player's credentials are what matters, not what Peter King has up his sleeve.

I recall Peter King produced a mock draft in 2014 in which he predicted Blake Bortles would be drafted by the Cleveland Browns at the bottom of the first round. His pick for the Jaguars was Sammy Watkins.

All the while, Peter King continued to manufacture a media buzz for Blake Bortles when there wasn't one. He tried to pin Bortles to the Minnesota Vikings despite warnings from true NFL scouting experts to 'beware of the fast-rising quarterback. BEWARE. BEWARE. BEWARE."

So was Peter King producing a mock draft as an honest representation of what he was able to learn as an NFL insider, or was he simply stacking a mock draft with players he was being paid to promote?

Logically, it seems our first round pick is going to be a QB. Bortles’ contract is structured in a way that it would fit perfect with drafting a QB and having him sit behind Bortles.

If there is a QB that the Jags like at 29 then they will draft him there. They won’t risk hoping that the guy they like falls to them in the 2nd. Also drafting a QB in the first gives them the additional benefit of having a 5th year option.

(02-25-2018, 08:34 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Logically, it seems our first round pick is going to be a QB. Bortles’ contract is structured in a way that it would fit perfect with drafting a QB and having him sit behind Bortles.

If there is a QB that the Jags like at 29 then they will draft him there. They won’t risk hoping that the guy they like falls to them in the 2nd. Also drafting a QB in the first gives them the additional benefit of having a 5th year option.

Or......

Even next years QB's in the draft. Is there any hype on the 2019 QB's expected to come out? If the jags go TE/OG with the first two picks in 2018, they can go QB next year with 32nd pick in the first round.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(02-25-2018, 08:34 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Logically, it seems our first round pick is going to be a QB. Bortles’ contract is structured in a way that it would fit perfect with drafting a QB and having him sit behind Bortles.

The only way I see our 1st round pick being a QB is if Mayfield or Allen falls.  I dont see Rosen or Donald falling that far and I dont think Jackson is the type of QB the front office wants, especially Dave.

(02-25-2018, 11:27 AM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote:

Or......

Even next years QB's in the draft. Is there any hype on the 2019 QB's expected to come out? If the jags go TE/OG with the first two picks in 2018, they can go QB next year with 32nd pick in the first round.

This slipped into my mind as well.

(02-25-2018, 11:27 AM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote:

Or......

No. Next year's QB class looks very pedestrian at this point. Unless one of them takes a major step forward, like Mayfied did in 2017, I wouldn't even bother.

Yes, that's a good point about the option year. The more I think about it, Rudolph is likely to be our first round pick. It's highly unlikely he will last until the end of round 2. I'd say it's only about 50-50 that he'll be there at pick 29. The Bills are the team that might take him if he doesn't last til the end of round 1. 

If the Jaguars do like him as much as is rumored, I would expect them to take one of the free agent offensive linemen who won't break the bank. They could then draft another lineman in one of the middle rounds of the draft to improve the depth at that position. The tight end class is very deep and they can get one of the top guys at the end of round 2- hopefully Hurst or Gesicki.