Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marcedes Lewis - Decision Day ($3.7m)

(02-20-2018, 01:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Not intending to turn this into a TC vs Caldwell debate, but I am wondering how much TCs presence in the FO influences the decision to keep Marcedes Lewis.  TC has often preferred a veteran presence on his team and has not shied away from older vets on occasion.

On the other hand, perhaps keeping Lewis serves as insurance in case they don't get the TE they want in the draft or FA.

In any event, on some level, it's good as a fan to hear a guy say he wants to play his entire career with a team and get the chance to do so after 13 or so seasons, especially after all the losing.  Even though Poz started out as a Bill, he kinda falls into that category too.

Caldwell had plenty of chances to replace or cut Lewis before TC came along.  I'm sure it didn't take much arm twisting to convince him to keep Lewis for another year.

I'm glad to hear he's staying...  Dude keeps himself in immaculate shape and is still a good football player.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-20-2018, 12:45 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 11:26 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Good bye Marcedes.
Juuuuuuuust a bit outside.

Dynamite drop in Monty, that message board commentator school is really paying off!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018, 09:17 AM by MoJagFan.)

He's not the best colorman in the league for nothing, folks!

EDIT:  Continuing the Harry Doyle string, nothing else.  Honestly he is an okay bridge to better TE play.  He isn't that expensive anyway.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(02-20-2018, 11:26 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Good bye Marcedes.

Ssssaaaawwwwiiiinnnnggg and a miss

We've spent a lot more than $3.7mm on much worse players than Marcedes. Glad he's coming back.

(02-21-2018, 09:45 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: We've spent a lot more than $3.7mm on much worse players than Marcedes.  Glad he's coming back.

I'm just glad to see the team put some money into the Giraffe conservation efforts in Jacksonville.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Marcedes should be sending Julius Thomas a thank you letter for being one of the bigger free agent busts in Jaguars history.

(02-21-2018, 09:45 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: We've spent a lot more than $3.7mm on much worse players than Marcedes.  Glad he's coming back.

Kind of like 2am hooking up with the chick that's 40 pounds overweight and justifying it by knowing you've hooked up with a lot worse in the past.

I like keeping him because he is one of the better blockers. But after letting rivera go we need to draft a pass catching TE.

(02-21-2018, 01:38 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: I like keeping him because he is one of the better blockers. But after letting rivera go we need to draft a pass catching TE.

Which we definitely will IMO. Not only can we get a good pass catching TE in the 1st and 2nd round and maybe even the 3rd round but we will also have Lewis to teach whoever it is on blocking in the NFL. All in all I am not disappointed because Lewis did everything he could to stay here.. we should return the favor and to be honest the guy could still ball out.

(02-21-2018, 01:38 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: I like keeping him because he is one of the better blockers. But after letting rivera go we need to draft a pass catching TE.

Marcedes might be the only current TE on the 2018 roster. Koyack has yet to really impress, and that guy from the Patriots was just ok. Rivera has already been let go.

With this in mind, I can see a FA TE and a draft pick added... maybe more. I'd love to get Mark Andrews at TE, but he'd surely require our first round pick. 

'02

I really like Andrews too. Him or Goedert would be great. The both have the bodies to be really good blockers too imo.

We need more Tes not less good move

(02-20-2018, 02:03 PM)Dakota Wrote: Glad he'll be back. He is one of the most underrated players on the team.

There was a time I would have definitely disagreed with this but he seemed to be at a higher level in 2017 than at any other time in his career here. Hopefully it's not a one and done season for him and I'm glad he wants to stay here. To me it says a lot when a player wants to stay here. Until this past season I imagine there wasn't a lot of that going around. #becausejaguars

(02-25-2018, 03:55 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 02:03 PM)Dakota Wrote: Glad he'll be back. He is one of the most underrated players on the team.

There was a time I would have definitely disagreed with this but he seemed to be at a higher level in 2017 than at any other time in his career here. Hopefully it's not a one and done season for him and I'm glad he wants to stay here. To me it says a lot when a player wants to stay here. Until this past season I imagine there wasn't a lot of that going around. #becausejaguars

I think he is just more comfortable/natural as a blocker when the formations are bit more traditional, run oriented now than they were under Fisch and Olson. He knows how to prep and anticipate the angles rushers will take to the ball. Makes sense since that was the style of game when he first got into the league.