Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
When do we look to draft defense?

We all expect this to be an offense-heavy draft, but if the right players are available, when do we start to consider defensive players?

It might be a good year to look for Colvin’s replacement for instance.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker/position/cb

Or do we go all-offense at all costs?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I wouldn't spend the entire draft on offense. We have needs at CB and LB as well, but I don't think we will focus on that side of the ball before round 4.

If one of the top rated CBs fall in the 2nd or 3rd rounds I wouldn’t be surprised to see us take one.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Mike Hughes in the 2nd if we trade back with someone and can grab an OG/QB/TE with the 2nd 2nd rd pick

I wouldn't mind drafting a behemoth nose tackle like Tim Settle in the 3rd or 4th but his stock is flying up.

Agree that a gritty slot corner in the 2nd or 3rd could be a good shout.

(02-21-2018, 07:11 PM)JNev Wrote: Mike Hughes in the 2nd if we trade back with someone and can grab an OG/QB/TE with the 2nd 2nd rd pick

From what I'm seeing, Hughes is going to be among the first corners off the board in round one. If he's there at #29 I'd have to consider him. I remember Coughlin once saying you can never have enough corners, and if Colvin walks we'll have a considerable need for a third CB.
'02

Duke Dawson in the 3rd round.

(02-21-2018, 07:35 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 07:11 PM)JNev Wrote: Mike Hughes in the 2nd if we trade back with someone and can grab an OG/QB/TE with the 2nd 2nd rd pick

From what I'm seeing, Hughes is going to be among the first corners off the board in round one. If he's there at #29 I'd have to consider him. I remember Coughlin once saying you can never have enough corners, and if Colvin walks we'll have a considerable need for a third CB.

Should we take a Nickle corner that high and possibly miss out on a starting QB, OG or TE in the process though? Personally, I think the CB class is deep enough that we can wait until round 4 or 6 and still get a good one.

(02-21-2018, 08:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 07:35 PM)Jags02 Wrote: From what I'm seeing, Hughes is going to be among the first corners off the board in round one. If he's there at #29 I'd have to consider him. I remember Coughlin once saying you can never have enough corners, and if Colvin walks we'll have a considerable need for a third CB.

Should we take a Nickle corner that high and possibly miss out on a starting QB, OG or TE in the process though? Personally, I think the CB class is deep enough that we can wait until round 4 or 6 and still get a good one.

Sometimes talent outweighs need. If a guy is there who shouldn't be there, even if you don't really need him it might pay off to take him.
'02

(02-21-2018, 09:12 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 08:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Should we take a Nickle corner that high and possibly miss out on a starting QB, OG or TE in the process though? Personally, I think the CB class is deep enough that we can wait until round 4 or 6 and still get a good one.

Sometimes talent outweighs need. If a guy is there who shouldn't be there, even if you don't really need him it might pay off to take him.

We're soooooooo close to a Super bowl though. I really believe we are a QB and an OG away. Perhaps a TE. I really believe we can get there without spending a high draft pick on what is basically a 3rd CB. I could justify taking another position if it was a WR or a LB, because we might need a starter at those positions if Poz or Robinson leaves, but a Nickle doesn't see the field on every defensive play.

(02-21-2018, 09:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 09:12 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Sometimes talent outweighs need. If a guy is there who shouldn't be there, even if you don't really need him it might pay off to take him.

We're soooooooo close to a Super bowl though. I really believe we are a QB and an OG away. Perhaps a TE. I really believe we can get there without spending a high draft pick on what is basically a 3rd CB. I could justify taking another position if it was a WR or a LB, because we might need a starter at those positions if Poz or Robinson leaves, but a Nickle doesn't see the field on every defensive play.

Colvin played in 67% of the defensive snaps, compared to 46% for Posluszny.  Poz's number is also skewed a bit by him playing 72% of the snaps in the game Telvin got injured, and 98% and 100% in the 2 games he missed.  In today's NFL, a nickel corner is going to be playing far more often than a third linebacker.

(02-21-2018, 09:12 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Sometimes talent outweighs need. If a guy is there who shouldn't be there, even if you don't really need him it might pay off to take him.

Honestly, we were a few play calls away.  Our coaches failed us in the championship game.  Like most said, hopefully they have learned

As for the OG away part, I totally see them picking up Justin Pugh in free agency.

As for a potential starting MLB, I wonder about that too and I have my eyes on Leighton Vander Esch as yet another possible #29 pick.

'02

(02-21-2018, 10:22 PM)empty Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 09:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We're soooooooo close to a Super bowl though. I really believe we are a QB and an OG away. Perhaps a TE. I really believe we can get there without spending a high draft pick on what is basically a 3rd CB. I could justify taking another position if it was a WR or a LB, because we might need a starter at those positions if Poz or Robinson leaves, but a Nickle doesn't see the field on every defensive play.

Colvin played in 67% of the defensive snaps, compared to 46% for Posluszny.  Poz's number is also skewed a bit by him playing 72% of the snaps in the game Telvin got injured, and 98% and 100% in the 2 games he missed.  In today's NFL, a nickel corner is going to be playing far more often than a third linebacker.
Exactly. 70% of the snaps is a hugeeee chunk. Hughes is not my IDEAL 1st pick but it would be totally fine by me

I'm hoping to go OG/OT,CB, TE in the first 3 rounds. After that DL, OL, LB, S
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(02-21-2018, 10:26 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 09:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We're soooooooo close to a Super bowl though. I really believe we are a QB and an OG away. Perhaps a TE. I really believe we can get there without spending a high draft pick on what is basically a 3rd CB. I could justify taking another position if it was a WR or a LB, because we might need a starter at those positions if Poz or Robinson leaves, but a Nickle doesn't see the field on every defensive play.

As for the OG away part, I totally see them picking up Justin Pugh in free agency.

As for a potential starting MLB, I wonder about that too and I have my eyes on Leighton Vander Esch as yet another possible #29 pick.

Vander Esch would be very tempting. If Roquan Smith somehow fell to us in round 1, I probably would pull the trigger on that as well. The guy is a beast. In the 3rd round or so, I would love for LB Darius Leonard to be available. He was quite possibly the best defensive player at the Senior Bowl and he has the ability to play inside or outside in a 4-3 scheme. There are quite a few options I could see us with at that MLB position, which would give us a younger and more athletic replacement for Poz.

(02-21-2018, 10:26 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

Please tell me why you think we have a need at MLB?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018, 11:25 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-21-2018, 11:16 PM)realtorpat Wrote: I'm hoping to go OG/OT,CB, TE in the first 3 rounds.  After that DL, OL, LB, S

Uhhh...... we're gonna need a QB in there somewhere.

(02-21-2018, 11:22 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 10:26 PM)Jags02 Wrote: As for the OG away part, I totally see them picking up Justin Pugh in free agency.

Please tell me why you think we have a need at MLB?

I believe Poz is gone and I am not a huge fan of Blair Brown as a starter.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018, 11:50 PM by knarnn.)

(02-21-2018, 11:23 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 11:16 PM)realtorpat Wrote: I'm hoping to go OG/OT,CB, TE in the first 3 rounds.  After that DL, OL, LB, S

Uhhh...... we're gonna need a QB in there somewhere.

(02-21-2018, 11:22 PM)knarnn Wrote: Please tell me why you think we have a need at MLB?

I believe Poz is gone and I am not a huge fan of Blair Brown as a starter.
[Image: 20170525-mylesjack.jpg]