Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
When do we look to draft defense?

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018, 10:42 PM by JackCity.)

(02-22-2018, 10:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 09:30 PM)JackCity Wrote: I think you are mixing the different arguments here sir. I way prefer those safety classes too. My argument on safeties is just that Minkah and Derwin are the best two safety prospects not named Adams and Hooker over the last 4 years. Ramsey was more of a cornerback prospect. Believe Minkah will play S/nickel hybrid like Honey Badger does. Overall a strong safety group.  

Yeah I honestly wouldn't mind if we took a slot corner in the 2nd/3rd. Having Ramsey and Bouye is all well and good but if we have a sieve at slot it's gonna make life difficult.
We started out talking about classes, back pedaling a bit when i lay out the classes as a whole.  Ramsey was every bit of the safety prospect Minkah is and more, Ramsey done all of that.  He played safety his sophmore year and most analyst had him listed as a safety leading up to the draft.
No not at all. I didn't mention this safety class as being better than the last few years. Just that Minkah and Derwin were better than most of the safety prospects and that's it's a strong group all round. Which is true. Was a much bigger fan of previous classes.

Ramsey was always more of a cornerback prospect to me. He played star as soph and was an elite shutdown corner his final year. He could have been a great safety too, just made more sense to play him corner. Minkah on the other hand is more of a nickel-backer/safety than a corner. 

Basically the crux of the discussion was that you thought this was a weaker defensive class. With deep LBs, deep secondary and average interior /edge I don't think that's true at all.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-21-2018, 03:59 PM)Andy G Wrote: We all expect this to be an offense-heavy draft, but if the right players are available, when do we start to consider defensive players?

It might be a good year to look for Colvin’s replacement for instance.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker/position/cb

Or do we go all-offense at all costs?

The team strength is the defense, but under the right circumstances or if the right guy fell, I would take a defensive guy even in the first round.

An examination of the team's biggest offensive needs-TE, G, maybe RT or WR-are all positions that can be found later in the draft.  The TEs may even drop a little considering last year's deep and talented TE draft and all the teams that availed themselves of the talent.  It's highly unlikely those teams will draft another TE so soon.

Good guards are often found in rounds 2-3, as are receivers.  Larry Allen was found at the bottom of the 2nd round.  Terrell Owens was a 3rd rounder.

If a stud defender somehow fell to us in the first, with no TEs taken and a guy like Will Hernandez off the board, I would strongly consider taking a defender at 29.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Wouldn't be surprised if we go defense at 29 or 61. Could be looking at replacing Colvin and possibly Poszlusny early.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."