Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Golf Courses in NE Florida

Anywhere is good for me. I am in SA so the Royal is good for me, maybe not so much for everyone else as I think you're all up in Jacksonville. My preference would be like Hyde Park or Bent Creek as I haven't played either one. Rico?

The Royal, BTW, is somewhat nasty. Narrow fairways and a lot of moguls (when they built it, they didn't truck away the dirt from the retention/drainage ponds and instead mounded the fairways) which often direct shots into the nasty underbrush or water. The advantage of playing there is that I have a garage next to the 12th green where we can stash the 2nd case of beer.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2018, 10:12 AM by JagsorDie.)

(07-18-2018, 10:05 AM)PF* Wrote: Anywhere is good for me. I am in SA so the Royal is good for me, maybe not so much for everyone else as I think you're all up in Jacksonville. My preference would be like Hyde Park or Bent Creek as I haven't played either one. Rico?

The Royal, BTW, is somewhat nasty. Narrow fairways and a lot of moguls (when they built it, they didn't truck away the dirt from the retention/drainage ponds and instead mounded the fairways) which often direct shots into the nasty underbrush or water. The advantage of playing there is that I have a garage next to the 12th green where we can stash the 2nd case of beer.

I would say Bent creek out of those two. Although it has a tendency to get jammed up on weekends especially around peak time.

I cant wait of Jacksonville beach to re open. That is basically my home course.

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2018, 10:37 AM by RicoTx.)

I don't particularly care for Royal St. Augustine.  I think it is almost unfair for someone like me.  A good shot can roll out of the fairway and as infrequently as I'm in the middle I would like them to stay there.

I haven't played Hyde Park in ages...and I'm talking 15 years.  I don't think it's anything special.  I played Bent Creek a couple of weekends ago and I was pleasantly surprised...other than a couple of tee boxes.

Fleming Island is nice and the prices are OK.  Orange Park Country Club has a lot of water and the course was in good shape the last time that I was there, and the prices are favorable.

Julington Creek is nice and has been in good shape and the prices are good.  Especially if you play after 11:00.  Not to mention the fact that I live a good 3 minutes away from it.  So there would be free post-golf beer in close proximity.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Free beer? I vote for Julington Creek!

Just got a coupon for $55 for Palencia that has to be used by 8/31.

Very nice course but 55- is still a lot.

Played at Bent Creek yesterday for the first time and liked it a lot. The back nine seemed to be a little more difficult, especially the 15th hole, the par 5. I had an OK drive, then a good second shot to within 50 yards of the marsh fronting the green but whacked the next one into the edge of the trees on the right.

Luckily it bounced out and I escaped with a 6; the 11th was the hole that got me, though- dogleg to the right over marsh at the tee and over marsh on the second shot. Tough hole.

Played Hidden Hills today, I thought it was even nicer than Bent Creek. First nine much tougher than the back, IMO. Lots of open fairways to drive on the back, lot of water on the front.

(08-06-2018, 06:48 PM)PF* Wrote: Played Hidden Hills today, I thought it was even nicer than Bent Creek. First nine much tougher than the back, IMO. Lots of open fairways to drive on the back, lot of water on the front.

I didn't really notice how tough some of those holes were the first time I played HH. Must have been having a good day. They sure seemed tough on Monday. 

Played a "business round" yesterday at Slammer and Squire. $49.00 resident rate after 3pm right now is a nice deal. Course is in great shape and fun to play. Would have had a really nice  (for me) back nine if not for a 9 after losing two balls and duffing a pitch on a par 5.  
The front nine was my usual "cusp of breaking 100" act : /

I'm slowly figuring out some things. Hope to get another lesson at the PGA store in September and work out this tendency to hit the irons fat.

(08-08-2018, 01:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-06-2018, 06:48 PM)PF* Wrote: Played Hidden Hills today, I thought it was even nicer than Bent Creek. First nine much tougher than the back, IMO. Lots of open fairways to drive on the back, lot of water on the front.

I didn't really notice how tough some of those holes were the first time I played HH. Must have been having a good day. They sure seemed tough on Monday. 

Played a "business round" yesterday at Slammer and Squire. $49.00 resident rate after 3pm right now is a nice deal. Course is in great shape and fun to play. Would have had a really nice  (for me) back nine if not for a 9 after losing two balls and duffing a pitch on a par 5.  
The front nine was my usual "cusp of breaking 100" act : /

I'm slowly figuring out some things. Hope to get another lesson at the PGA store in September and work out this tendency to hit the irons fat.

I think that I may have left my last good round at the Slammer and Squire.  My goodness, I've been horrendous since.  I need to get it together because I'm playing in my stepson's company tournament up in PA next weekend.  He's in Pittsburgh...I'm sure they'll all love my Jaguars attire.

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2018, 03:45 PM by JagsorDie.)

Im back in town so if you guys are going to put together another round ill definitely be up for it.

How did the round go this weekend?

It's tough but it is normally in good shape. I like the amount of hills and elevated tee boxes that they have. 

I played World Woods this weekend and it was brutal. Course was fantastic but because I played 72 holes in 48 hour it was brutal(father in-law plays this every year with his brothers from Miami). I shot 95, 89, 91, and 82. Had a hell of a last round but other than that I played meh golf. I did drive a green on a par 4 but only managed a par out of it. I was pissed.

I found Hidden Hills to be a little tougher than I expected. A 93 first time around isn't too bad, I guess. It was 50-43 so I need a better front nine.

I had to pick up a friend flying into JIA yesterday at 7 PM so I decided to ride up to Osprey Cove in St. Mary's. GA and loved it. Hadn't been there before- hot, hot day but nice breezes off the marsh and we had the course to ourselves. I think it was about 27- on GolfNow and it was worth it. Very wide fairways for the most part.

Look forward to putting together another group of us at some point. JoD- I have the Bloody Mary recipe perfected.

(08-08-2018, 04:13 PM)PF* Wrote: I found Hidden Hills to be a little tougher than I expected. A 93 first time around isn't too bad, I guess. It was 50-43 so I need a better front nine.

I had to pick up a friend flying into JIA yesterday at 7 PM so I decided to ride up to Osprey Cove in St. Mary's. GA and loved it. Hadn't been there before- hot, hot day but nice breezes off the marsh and we had the course to ourselves. I think it was about 27- on GolfNow and it was worth it. Very wide fairways for the most part.

Look forward to putting together another group of us at some point. JoD- I have the Bloody Mary recipe perfected.

I think I played Osprey Cove with Rico a couple of years ago. I really liked it and would definitely go back. 

I just played a pretty basic little public course on OshKosh WI the other day while traveling for work. Had a fun round although I was challenged by the crappiest set of rental clubs ever. 

The bag had an unhittable driver with a ladies shaft, 5W, 5,6,9, PW, Putter 

Needless to say I had to be creative around the greens with nothing but a 48 degree wedge in the bag. 
Still managed to par a few and birdie the short par 4 ninth hole. 

Found out today that I'll be playing the TPC stadium course in Scottsdale next month. 
I'll be taking another lesson prior to that round Big Grin

[Image: Gallery_Scottsdale-hole-5.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2018, 01:38 PM by RicoTx.)

My next round will be at Glengarry Golf Links on Saturday outside of Pittsburgh.  Supposed to be nice and definitely a links style course.  Looks like its wide open.  It'll be nice to get the hell out of here for a few days.  Work has just been [BLEEP] up in general for a couple of months.  Oh, and we have a 'town hall' meeting with our CEO on Wednesday.  It's IT only and one of the bullet-points on the agenda is 'future plans'.  LOL, talk about ominous.  We'll see.

(08-21-2018, 01:38 PM)Rico Wrote: My next round will be at Glengarry Golf Links on Saturday outside of Pittsburgh.  Supposed to be nice and definitely a links style course.  Looks like its wide open.  It'll be nice to get the hell out of here for a few days.  Work has just been [BLEEP] up in general for a couple of months.  Oh, and we have a 'town hall' meeting with our CEO on Wednesday.  It's IT only and one of the bullet-points on the agenda is 'future plans'.  LOL, talk about ominous.  We'll see.

Sheesh. The fun just never ends at the office for you lately. 
Good luck at that meeting and on the links.
Looks like a fun course.

(08-21-2018, 02:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 01:38 PM)Rico Wrote: My next round will be at Glengarry Golf Links on Saturday outside of Pittsburgh.  Supposed to be nice and definitely a links style course.  Looks like its wide open.  It'll be nice to get the hell out of here for a few days.  Work has just been [BLEEP] up in general for a couple of months.  Oh, and we have a 'town hall' meeting with our CEO on Wednesday.  It's IT only and one of the bullet-points on the agenda is 'future plans'.  LOL, talk about ominous.  We'll see.

Sheesh. The fun just never ends at the office for you lately. 
Looks like a fun course.

Ooooo, things are looking up for the tournament.  I hadn't read the flyer.  I knew about the free lunch....but free beer on the course!!

(08-21-2018, 02:34 PM)Rico Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 02:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Sheesh. The fun just never ends at the office for you lately. 
Looks like a fun course.

Ooooo, things are looking up for the tournament.  I hadn't read the flyer.  I knew about the free lunch....but free beer on the course!!
Now it really looks like a fun course.

(08-21-2018, 02:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 02:34 PM)Rico Wrote: Ooooo, things are looking up for the tournament.  I hadn't read the flyer.  I knew about the free lunch....but free beer on the course!!
Now it really looks like a fun course.

I hope they know what they're getting themselves into, offering me free beer.

(08-21-2018, 03:06 PM)Rico Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 02:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Now it really looks like a fun course.

I hope they know what they're getting themselves into, offering me free beer.

They aren't ready.

[/quote]

Now that's a true incentive.

Look at you guys, one's going to Pittsburgh to play golf and drink free beer; the other to Scottsdale to play the TPC Stadium course. I'm headed to Maine to play the Sanford Municipal and fight off black flies.